Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The world is fooked 08:53 - Jun 17 with 18932 viewsHerbivore

Being realistic about it, Boris is going to be our next PM. The Tory party see him as, somehow, being someone who can win elections against the Labour party and have decided that this is clearly more important than resolving Brexit in a way that doesn’t destroy the country and indeed more important than what is best for the country in general. Concerns about his lack of competence and integrity have been pushed aside in the interests of preserving the Conservative Party and their grip on power. Standard, but depressing nonetheless.

More broadly, though, is there anything more indicative of how badly we’re fooked as a society than Boris and Trump coming to power? Neither man is remotely capable of the job they have been tasked with, both are where they are solely on the back of white male privilege and nothing more. They are the definition of the triumph of elitism over meritocracy.

Let’s start with Trump. The man is a thick bigot, the most fragile egotist imaginable. The Trump blimp triggered him so badly precisely because it was so accurate. He pitches himself as a successful businessman who knows how to get deals done, someone who is not part of the establishment and who has been a huge success. Bigly successful. And yet, if he’d simply put the vast wealth he inherited from his father into a savings account he would be wealthier than he is now. He has failed as a businessman many times over and any mitigating success has come solely because his vast inherited wealth has enabled him to try and try again. His one selling point is based on smoke and mirrors.

He has managed to ride a wave of mainly white working-class discontent through carefully managed populist rhetoric that is as dangerous as it is vacuous. His litany of misdemeanours would make him unemployable if he came from any other background, yet pure wealth and privilege has enabled him to bankroll his way to power. If his followers really feel that white males are being marginalised by liberalism, they need only look at the fact that Trump is in power as proof that this is not remotely the case.

As for Boris, the man is simply a nasty, power-hungry incompetent. Born to wealth and privilege, from very early on his character was marked by seeking power at all costs. Even at Eton and Oxford he was more concerned with gaining power and notoriety than actually excelling as a student, and he was willing to do whatever was needed to get there. Sounds familiar? As a journalist he was sacked for falsifying a quote, a journalistic offence so egregious that it would usually spell the end of a career. Yet Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has been given chance after chance, purely because of his name and privilege rather than his talent.

As an MP he has held one cabinet position and was an abject failure. Not only did he fail to achieve anything at all of note, numerous reports suggest that he was simply unfit for the role; frequently he was not well-briefed, not interested in detail, and seemingly uninterested when attending important meetings. That’s without even considering that he endangered the life of a UK citizen through his own lazy carelessness when talking about why she was in Iran. He still refuses to take any responsibility for that, despite it once again being such an horrendous error that it would cost most people their job, let alone somehow pave the way for them to hold an even more responsible job. All this before we even consider the overt racist remarks, the dog-whistling, the general question marks over his poor character and total lack of any principles (writing two articles backing both remain and leave, anyone?).

Sorry for the lengthy rant, but it really boils my piss that we have these snake oil salesman in positions of power. They are where they are not because of any talent they have, not because they are the best men for the job, not because they have a positive vision for their countries. They are where they are because of wealth and privilege, nothing more. Their sole focus in on maintaining their privilege and on preserving a system that rewards such privilege.

The worst of it is that they are doing so by exploiting unrest amongst the working classes, unrest caused by the kind of social and economic inequalities that they and their cronies are responsible for. And they know this, yet they point the finger at other disadvantaged groups and lay the blame at their door. It’s easy to do, it plays on a base instinct in people to blame the ‘other’ rather than someone that looks like them and speaks their language (in more ways than one). They are backed by the wealthy and powerful in the media who share their overriding agenda to preserve the dominance of wealthy elites, and this simply makes the power train an irresistible force with no immovable object available at our disposal to oppose it.

All thoroughly depressing, really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The world is fooked on 18:10 - Jun 17 with 3144 viewsWeWereZombies

The world is fooked on 13:19 - Jun 17 by BobbyDazzler

Hurry up & get brexit papers signed ,enoughs enough just leave

Oh, that is a good variation - the space before the comma and then no space before the next word. Almost deserves an uppie...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The world is fooked on 18:57 - Jun 17 with 3116 viewsjaykay

The world is fooked on 13:19 - Jun 17 by BobbyDazzler

Hurry up & get brexit papers signed ,enoughs enough just leave

house

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The world is fooked on 19:43 - Jun 17 with 3090 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You don't like rich people do you?
The world is fooked on 19:48 - Jun 17 with 3087 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 19:43 - Jun 17 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

If that is what you took from my post it says more about you than it does about me, friend.

The world is fooked on 19:52 - Jun 17 with 3083 viewsfooters

The world is fooked on 19:48 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

If that is what you took from my post it says more about you than it does about me, friend.

Just FYI JJJJ is quite rich himself. Surprised you missed that bit, m8.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The world is fooked on 20:00 - Jun 17 with 3062 viewsSwansea_Blue

Spot on Herbie. Sad but true.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The world is fooked on 20:04 - Jun 17 with 3055 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 19:52 - Jun 17 by footers

Just FYI JJJJ is quite rich himself. Surprised you missed that bit, m8.

I'm surprised he's never mentioned it.

The world is fooked on 20:07 - Jun 17 with 3049 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 19:43 - Jun 17 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Indeed. We're just people.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

The world is fooked on 20:17 - Jun 17 with 3029 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 11:58 - Jun 17 by SouthBucksBlue

Your rational is simplistic, uncomplicated, obvious and correct.

The global challenges of the modern world e.g. preserving our environment, cyber security, preventing the abuse of social media, poverty and having a meaningful influence on the conduct of the superpowers (primarily USA, China and Russia) cannot be addressed by a single small sovereign nation.

Or in other words keep the institutions and structures that have given us more of the same in the hope that they can come up with something different. Brought to you by the genius minds that brought us carbon credits!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The world is fooked on 20:58 - Jun 17 with 3000 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 20:17 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or in other words keep the institutions and structures that have given us more of the same in the hope that they can come up with something different. Brought to you by the genius minds that brought us carbon credits!

The EU will still exist after we leave. We will simply be outside it with diminished influence locally and globally.

The world is fooked on 21:12 - Jun 17 with 2989 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 20:58 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

The EU will still exist after we leave. We will simply be outside it with diminished influence locally and globally.

When any old Internationalism will do!

The world is fooked on 21:22 - Jun 17 with 2976 viewsHerbivore

The world is fooked on 21:12 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

When any old Internationalism will do!

If you think a small island nation with over 60m inhabitants can operate entirely on its own then good for you.

The world is fooked on 21:34 - Jun 17 with 2964 viewsSwansea_Blue

The world is fooked on 20:17 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'd like more of the same from the EU. Easier travel, easier opportunities to live and work on neighbouring states, joint research programmes, Erasmus student exchange opportunities, cleaner air, cleaner water, equality for part time workers, sustainability of our natural resources, working time directive and guaranteed holiday pay for employees, consumer protection, clearer labelling and handling of hazardous substances and chemicals, targets for combating climate change, that's just for starters off the top of my head and can't be arsed to keep going, but you get the point.

What I don't want more of (Westminster) is cuts to police and the judiciary, lowest growth in spending on the NHS since it was formed leading to increased waiting times, ambulance response times, etc., demonisation of the mentally ill or disabled, cuts to school budgets, a slowdown in life expectancy compared to other developed nations, a surge in child poverty, a surge in in-work poverty, the alienation of foreign nationals, G8-leading disparity between the haves and have nots, a rapid surge in homelessness, a surge in homelessness deaths, promotion of tax dodgers, and the elevation of liars, cheats and charlatans to the highest positions in office.

Comparing the record of Westminster to the EU (for a fraction of the cost), I know which I prefer.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The world is fooked on 22:15 - Jun 17 with 2933 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 21:34 - Jun 17 by Swansea_Blue

I'd like more of the same from the EU. Easier travel, easier opportunities to live and work on neighbouring states, joint research programmes, Erasmus student exchange opportunities, cleaner air, cleaner water, equality for part time workers, sustainability of our natural resources, working time directive and guaranteed holiday pay for employees, consumer protection, clearer labelling and handling of hazardous substances and chemicals, targets for combating climate change, that's just for starters off the top of my head and can't be arsed to keep going, but you get the point.

What I don't want more of (Westminster) is cuts to police and the judiciary, lowest growth in spending on the NHS since it was formed leading to increased waiting times, ambulance response times, etc., demonisation of the mentally ill or disabled, cuts to school budgets, a slowdown in life expectancy compared to other developed nations, a surge in child poverty, a surge in in-work poverty, the alienation of foreign nationals, G8-leading disparity between the haves and have nots, a rapid surge in homelessness, a surge in homelessness deaths, promotion of tax dodgers, and the elevation of liars, cheats and charlatans to the highest positions in office.

Comparing the record of Westminster to the EU (for a fraction of the cost), I know which I prefer.

Paragraph 1 .....lots of benefits for "comfortable, middle class, neo liberals" plus guaranteed holiday pay ! Not when your secure job has popped to Hungary/Poland and you are now an Uber driver.

Paragraph 2 A double whammy to the very same people not seeing any tangible benefits from para 1. No wonder they are pi$$ed off! In theory at least the national politics is at a scale that individuals feel they can exert influence upon.

I simplify somewhat but you get the point!

The world is fooked on 22:15 - Jun 17 with 2933 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 21:34 - Jun 17 by Swansea_Blue

POTY.

But it'll sound like utter gibberish to our more nationalistically challenged, navel-gazing brethren.

The world is fooked on 22:22 - Jun 17 with 2921 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 22:15 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Paragraph 1 .....lots of benefits for "comfortable, middle class, neo liberals" plus guaranteed holiday pay ! Not when your secure job has popped to Hungary/Poland and you are now an Uber driver.

Paragraph 2 A double whammy to the very same people not seeing any tangible benefits from para 1. No wonder they are pi$$ed off! In theory at least the national politics is at a scale that individuals feel they can exert influence upon.

Not really.

You seem to judge the EU as some globalist conspiracy. But that's essentially a UK and/or far-right perspective.

Maybe it's Proportional Representation and maybe it's every country having a vote at the member state level, but there's a lot we could learn from the EU, and certainly in terms of sustainable growth, social welfare and the environment.

The world is fooked on 22:26 - Jun 17 with 2910 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 22:15 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for the uppie Pickles but facts are that your lot will not be improving the lot of those at the @rse end of paragrsphs 1 or 2!

The world is fooked on 22:26 - Jun 17 with 2909 viewsHerbivore

Pickles, you've gone on one of your down arrow frenzies again. Join the debate, friend.

The world is fooked on 22:31 - Jun 17 with 2903 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 22:15 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

POTY.

But it'll sound like utter gibberish to our more nationalistically challenged, navel-gazing brethren.

Pickles. Why the downvote?

Somewhere in your heart you'd surely like humanity to advance and for people to be happier? It's been happening but older, white men are understandably feeling lost/concerned/guilty/angry/irrelevant in this.

Surely you, as a father of daughter/s, must be happy that the world looks a lot better place than even 10 years ago for her?

You know that your world doesn't help her.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 22:33]

The world is fooked on 22:32 - Jun 17 with 2902 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 22:22 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

Not really.

You seem to judge the EU as some globalist conspiracy. But that's essentially a UK and/or far-right perspective.

Maybe it's Proportional Representation and maybe it's every country having a vote at the member state level, but there's a lot we could learn from the EU, and certainly in terms of sustainable growth, social welfare and the environment.

No really!

No conspiracy just a political institution developed during, up to its neck in and serving the interests of global capitalism ..... why wouldn't it be?

Agree there is a lot we could learn from a lot of people.

The world is fooked on 22:40 - Jun 17 with 2891 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 22:32 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

No really!

No conspiracy just a political institution developed during, up to its neck in and serving the interests of global capitalism ..... why wouldn't it be?

Agree there is a lot we could learn from a lot of people.

How does the EU serve the interests of global capitalism? Or do you mean trade?

Trade is, of course, good for the world. And if you can find a major country or trading bloc that is better at protecting against the downside of international trade (environment, health and safety, workers' rights etc.) then I'm all ears.

The world is fooked on 23:14 - Jun 17 with 2859 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 22:40 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

How does the EU serve the interests of global capitalism? Or do you mean trade?

Trade is, of course, good for the world. And if you can find a major country or trading bloc that is better at protecting against the downside of international trade (environment, health and safety, workers' rights etc.) then I'm all ears.

How does the EU with its Euro area and non Euro areas serve the intetests of the working class seeing there employment shipped to Hungary.....or are they meant to move? During the Greek crisis what was the EU more concerned with.....preserving the Euro or its average Greek members?

Why is "trade, of course, good for the world".....doesn't it discourage self sufficiency and hasn't it led to the current environmental catastrophe? .....if they are indeed the best, as you suggest , then they are just the best of a bad bunch....and happy to negotiate TTIP and CETA bizarrely!

The world is fooked on 23:22 - Jun 17 with 2851 viewsDarth_Koont

The world is fooked on 23:14 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

How does the EU with its Euro area and non Euro areas serve the intetests of the working class seeing there employment shipped to Hungary.....or are they meant to move? During the Greek crisis what was the EU more concerned with.....preserving the Euro or its average Greek members?

Why is "trade, of course, good for the world".....doesn't it discourage self sufficiency and hasn't it led to the current environmental catastrophe? .....if they are indeed the best, as you suggest , then they are just the best of a bad bunch....and happy to negotiate TTIP and CETA bizarrely!

I don't know where to start with that. It's an utter mess.

You have to look at how the world works (irrespective of the EU) and then see how the EU, in relative terms, protects smaller countries and individuals.

The world is fooked on 08:00 - Jun 18 with 2791 viewsWeWereZombies

The world is fooked on 23:22 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

I don't know where to start with that. It's an utter mess.

You have to look at how the world works (irrespective of the EU) and then see how the EU, in relative terms, protects smaller countries and individuals.

You could also point out that Hungary is a European Union member as well...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The world is fooked on 08:22 - Jun 18 with 2780 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The world is fooked on 08:00 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

You could also point out that Hungary is a European Union member as well...

"How does the EU with its Euro area and non Euro areas ........."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024