Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? 14:08 - Jun 17 with 23989 viewsSpruceMoose

It's a yes from me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:27 - Jun 19 with 2885 viewsgazzer1999

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 10:31 - Jun 19 by gordon

Not about shutting anyone out - it bothers me that we're about to have an idiot as PM, but we should have the right to elect him as PM if that's what we're into. Same applies to the pious.

We never elect a prime minister, in case you didn't notice we elect our M.P's and the party with the largest majority forms a government, the leader of that party becomes prime minister.
he may be an idiot, but look over to the other side, a marxist or a party with an outgoing leader. Much the same all round really.
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:32 - Jun 19 with 2875 viewsgordon

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:27 - Jun 19 by gazzer1999

We never elect a prime minister, in case you didn't notice we elect our M.P's and the party with the largest majority forms a government, the leader of that party becomes prime minister.
he may be an idiot, but look over to the other side, a marxist or a party with an outgoing leader. Much the same all round really.

Excellent points, although Im not 100% sure on your justification for your final sentence.
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:35 - Jun 19 with 2874 viewsWeWereZombies

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 22:18 - Jun 18 by sparks

Oh dear.

Please explain where I am arguing with myself.

Please confirm whether you agree comparing rocks with people is a pointless exercise.

Please confirm whether you accept that belief is not a conscious choice.

You seem unwilling to address any actual concepts or points made, in preference for woolly word salad nonsense.

I am not comparing rocks with people.

I am pointing out the difference between belief and opinion.

Do you realise how meaningless it is to describe a cogent argument as 'word salad' or do you just read what you yourself have written and think 'yep , that is word salad' and serve it up as a response to what you also see as 'word salad'? Other options are available.

So when you try and criticise a poster and end up agreeing with them whilst not wanting to admit that then you are arguing with yourself.

Are you Neil Warnock in real life?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:38 - Jun 19 with 2873 viewsWeWereZombies

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:24 - Jun 19 by gordon

I'm definitely a rock or a bicycle then, rather than a human. Can categorically say no one's ever shared any knowledge on the nature of any gods with me.

That is somewhat implausible.

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:52 - Jun 19 with 2865 viewsgordon

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:38 - Jun 19 by WeWereZombies

That is somewhat implausible.

Seriously?
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 19:10 - Jun 19 with 2853 viewsWeWereZombies

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:52 - Jun 19 by gordon

Seriously?

Very seriously. Did you go to school? Have RE lessons? Watch television? Read books?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 19:13 - Jun 19 with 2851 viewsgordon

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 19:10 - Jun 19 by WeWereZombies

Very seriously. Did you go to school? Have RE lessons? Watch television? Read books?

And how might those people who you presumably think might have shared knowledge of God or Gods with me gain their knowledge of God or Gods?
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 21:21 - Jun 19 with 2824 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 19:13 - Jun 19 by gordon

And how might those people who you presumably think might have shared knowledge of God or Gods with me gain their knowledge of God or Gods?

What difference does that make?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 21:30 - Jun 19 with 2814 viewsWeWereZombies

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 19:13 - Jun 19 by gordon

They will probably say by divine revelation. I have never experienced it so I can only try to see their point of view from reportage and not from privileged (as in experienced in my own brain) information. It is important to appreciate the religious view because we then have insight into the working of communities, and I am not alone in this view:

“I think that it is an important part of our culture to know about the Bible after all so much of English literature has allusions to the Bible, if you look up the Oxford English Dictionary you find something like the same number of quotations from the Bible as from Shakespeare.

“It’s an important part of our history. So much of European history is dominated by disputes against rival religions and you can’t understand history unless you know about the history of the Christian religion and the Crusades and so on.

“I would not abolish religions education, I think I would substitute it for comparative religion and Biblical history and religious history.

“Comparative religion is very valuable partly because the child learns that there are lots of different religions not just the one they were brought up with. They learn they are all different and they can’t all be right, so maybe none of the are right. Critical thinking is what we need.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/06/11/richard-dawkins-religious-educati

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 21:30 - Jun 19 with 2813 viewsPJH

They went to school.
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 22:00 - Jun 19 with 2785 viewssparks

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 18:35 - Jun 19 by WeWereZombies

I am not comparing rocks with people.

I am pointing out the difference between belief and opinion.

Do you realise how meaningless it is to describe a cogent argument as 'word salad' or do you just read what you yourself have written and think 'yep , that is word salad' and serve it up as a response to what you also see as 'word salad'? Other options are available.

So when you try and criticise a poster and end up agreeing with them whilst not wanting to admit that then you are arguing with yourself.

Are you Neil Warnock in real life?

Still avoiding.

QED.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 23:14 - Jun 19 with 2772 viewsWeWereZombies

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 22:00 - Jun 19 by sparks

Still avoiding.

QED.

I know you are.

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 01:42 - Jun 20 with 2743 viewsjeera

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:52 - Jun 19 by gazzer1999

Come on Sprucey, thats the same as you. As soon as someone has a different opinion to yours, you know how you react.
Personally, live and let live. If a belief makes people happy; where is the problem?.

Cos no one has ever been hurt over religious beliefs.

Harmless. Totally harmless.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:12 - Jun 20 with 2720 viewschicoazul

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 10:19 - Jun 19 by sparks

Google "US abortion laws" for a clear example of the harm that dogmatic beliefs can cause.

A religous belief can colour and inform a persons actions and interactions with others.

Same way an atheist belief can, right?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:13 - Jun 20 with 2715 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:12 - Jun 20 by chicoazul

Same way an atheist belief can, right?

If you think atheism is a belief, which it isn't by the way, what are the principles of an atheist belief system that might influence policy?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:15 - Jun 20 with 2716 viewschicoazul

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 01:42 - Jun 20 by jeera

Cos no one has ever been hurt over religious beliefs.

Harmless. Totally harmless.

Millions and millions of people have been hurt, killed, had their cultures destroyed etc at the altars of capitalism, Stalinism, Maoism, etc etc
It's not a good enough argument to say religion is bad because people get hurt or killed by it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:24 - Jun 20 with 2705 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:15 - Jun 20 by chicoazul

Millions and millions of people have been hurt, killed, had their cultures destroyed etc at the altars of capitalism, Stalinism, Maoism, etc etc
It's not a good enough argument to say religion is bad because people get hurt or killed by it.

If you read Max Weber you'll understand that capitalism is inextricably linked to protestant Christianity.

Lots of people think it's legitimate to say that communism is bad because Stalin killed a lot of people, why can't deaths attributed to organised religion be used as an argument against it?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:37 - Jun 20 with 2700 viewsSonOfSpock

Government should be secular so as long as they arent making policy based on their dogma I dont really have a problem. e.g. banning abortion based on religious belief.
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:00 - Jun 20 with 2683 viewsBrixtonBlue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:15 - Jun 20 by chicoazul

None of those deaths were caused by a lack of religion though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 10:17 - Jun 20 with 2666 viewsjeera

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 08:37 - Jun 20 by SonOfSpock

Government should be secular so as long as they arent making policy based on their dogma I dont really have a problem. e.g. banning abortion based on religious belief.

Or invading Middle Eastern countries because some voices told you it would be ok.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 13:40 - Jun 20 with 2635 viewsTheBoyBlue

Not particularly. I don't see why believing in God will automatically effect policy.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 13:40 - Jun 20 with 2634 viewsNo9

Don't they all say they beleive in god?
Don't they all act as though they don't?
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:32 - Jun 21 with 2585 viewsSwansea_Blue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 13:40 - Jun 20 by TheBoyBlue

Not particularly. I don't see why believing in God will automatically effect policy.

Not automatically, but it certainly has an impact.

Some interesting stuff in here:
https://www.demos.co.uk/files/God_in_Government_final.pdf

e.g., just thinking about the claim above that Blair framed the Iraq War using religious language, the section about Blair's term shows how faith became more entwined with our political system:-

"Under Blair, the structures of interaction between faith
communities and the government were built. A faith working group
emerged from the Jubilee 2000 Millennium celebrations, later
becoming the Faith Consultative Council, whilst a government
Minister was appointed for faith communities (initially in the Home
Office). There were regular meetings between faith leaders and
Blair. This was not the first time clerics had visited Number 10 but
under Blair, the encounters became more systematic and regular.
There were also return visits to Churches, mosques, synagogues and
Temples"

But also important to note that Blair himself said people should use personal ethical positions to push back against the views of others (and he himself voted contrary to his faith's position on a number of key issues around women's rights, abortions, etc.). Which is as it should be really.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:34 - Jun 21 with 2582 viewsBigManBlue

Not sure anyone's asked the important question yet - which god?

I'm not sure I want a Mike Pence type in charge, but an Odinist, or cultist of Ishtar - that could be more interesting.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:45 - Jun 21 with 2570 viewsSwansea_Blue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 09:34 - Jun 21 by BigManBlue

Not sure anyone's asked the important question yet - which god?

I'm not sure I want a Mike Pence type in charge, but an Odinist, or cultist of Ishtar - that could be more interesting.

Aristaeus, obviously. Greek god of cheesemaking.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024