Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? 14:08 - Jun 17 with 24114 viewsSpruceMoose

It's a yes from me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:36 - Jun 17 with 4763 viewschicoazul

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:33 - Jun 17 by bobwya

We have had a PM for the last 3 years who openly believes in God. Apart from the obvious concerns about her as PM have you been concerned about that?

The only recent PM I can think of who didnt hold a Christian faith is Harold Wilson, and I think (purely from memory happy to be corrected) he sort of did anyway.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:36 - Jun 17 with 4762 viewsReuser_is_God

I just want a PM who isn't an utter c0ckwomble to be honest.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:38 - Jun 17 with 4753 viewsfooters

They'd get my vote if they believed in Cthulhu.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:38 - Jun 17 with 4753 viewsDanTheMan

Assuming their personal beliefs that are based on whatever holy book they believe in are not shaping policy then I'm not really bothered.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:43 - Jun 17 with 4736 viewschicoazul

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:38 - Jun 17 by DanTheMan

Assuming their personal beliefs that are based on whatever holy book they believe in are not shaping policy then I'm not really bothered.

Shouldnt it be more important what the polices *are* rather than what if anything has informed them?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:44 - Jun 17 with 4737 viewsDubtractor

I'm not bothered if they believe in any god, though I am hugely p1ssed if they use that belief to justify decision making - none of this "god will judge me" horsecrap please.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:45 - Jun 17 with 4723 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:22 - Jun 17 by giant_stow

I too have trouble with that, same as chico. Mouse, what bothers you about it?

Atheism is an absence of belief in God. An absence of belief is not itself a different belief.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:49 - Jun 17 with 4717 viewsDanTheMan

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:43 - Jun 17 by chicoazul

Shouldnt it be more important what the polices *are* rather than what if anything has informed them?

Yes, it is more important.

It's not even like there aren't a lot of good things to take from most religions, I just tend to find people skip over all the good bits of the books and use them to justify hatred.

I was brought up Christian and my main takeaway from it was help people and don't be a dick.

My experience with older Christians is very much more "fire and brimstone" style.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:50 - Jun 17 with 4710 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Nope.

Not sure who this is in reference to though? Javid?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:51 - Jun 17 with 4708 viewsIpswichKnight

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:50 - Jun 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nope.

Not sure who this is in reference to though? Javid?

Think it's Hunt, something just popped up on my twitter about him saying he does believe in God.
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:52 - Jun 17 with 4708 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:51 - Jun 17 by IpswichKnight

Think it's Hunt, something just popped up on my twitter about him saying he does believe in God.

I guess Hunt AND Javid then?

I think our current PM is a regular church goer?

Rory Stewart is also a confirmed Christian.

....the list is getting shorter for Spruce Moose.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 14:55]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:57 - Jun 17 with 4692 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So if we are counting Javid, Stewart and Hunt out of the race.... that leaves Boris doesnt it?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:03 - Jun 17 with 4681 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:57 - Jun 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

So if we are counting Javid, Stewart and Hunt out of the race.... that leaves Boris doesnt it?

Boris is also Christian, although I doubt he genuinely believes in anything and would convert to Islam at the drop of a hat if it gave him a shot at power.

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:06 - Jun 17 with 4673 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:03 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

Boris is also Christian, although I doubt he genuinely believes in anything and would convert to Islam at the drop of a hat if it gave him a shot at power.

...and to cover all bases, whats Corbyn?

I know we call rule out him being Jewish!!

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:07 - Jun 17 with 4672 viewsIpswichKnight

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:06 - Jun 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

...and to cover all bases, whats Corbyn?

I know we call rule out him being Jewish!!

Whatever Seamus and John tell him!
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:14 - Jun 17 with 4657 viewsusm

No

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:34 - Jun 17 with 4628 viewsSWGF

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:03 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife"

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:39 - Jun 17 with 4616 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:34 - Jun 17 by SWGF

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife"

"....unless she is well fit".

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:41 - Jun 17 with 4617 viewsgiant_stow

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:28 - Jun 17 by SpruceMoose

I'm sorry if it offends you, I'm sure many religious folk are decent. Until you do something they disapprove of.

Irrational beliefs should have no place in public policy debate.

"Religious folk being decent until they disapprove of something" is another example of colouring a large group by the actions of a much smaller one. Its a little bit of a bigoted thing to say tbh - no offence though - I understand many would agree with you.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:46 - Jun 17 with 4608 viewsSWGF

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:39 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

"....unless she is well fit".

I thought that was the caveat for the ox?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:48 - Jun 17 with 4600 viewsgiant_stow

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:45 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

Atheism is an absence of belief in God. An absence of belief is not itself a different belief.

I think you'd be correct if we'd all just popped into existence now, but most of us have been brought up in an at least vaguely religious environment. Therefore, we would all have countered religion and in the case of atheists, made a conscious decision to not believe in God.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:53 - Jun 17 with 4582 viewsStokieBlue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 14:18 - Jun 17 by chicoazul

Why would it bother you? Would you rather they werent so open about it a la Blair for e.g.? What's wrong with people expressing their beliefs anyway? Doesnt seem to stop atheists.

Strictly speaking atheists don't have beliefs.

As for the point, It entirely depends on the individual.

If it was a personal thing which in no way made it's way into state business then happy days, do what you like.

If it in any way encroaches onto secular state affairs then said individual should be nowhere near the top job in my opinion.

SB
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 15:54]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:56 - Jun 17 with 4567 viewsHerbivore

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:48 - Jun 17 by giant_stow

I think you'd be correct if we'd all just popped into existence now, but most of us have been brought up in an at least vaguely religious environment. Therefore, we would all have countered religion and in the case of atheists, made a conscious decision to not believe in God.

That does not make not believing in God a belief though. I'm guessing you don't believe in Father Christmas and that you wouldn't think of your not believing in Father Christmas as being a belief that you hold.

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:57 - Jun 17 with 4563 viewsDurovigutum

I think it depends on which massive generalisation we are using. Is it...

1. Old school Leviticus following God type who considers wearing clothes made of two types of thread or cutting the hair at the sides of your head to be an abomination?
2. Modern hippy type who says "god is inside all of us"?
3. Type who says the are "a believer" but that does things no human being can approve of and that runs counter to all teachings (eg Jimmy Saville)?
4. Someone who worships at the high alter of the greenback and puts money as their God and at the centre of their life?
5. Someone who rejects God completely and kills around 17 million people that don't agree with them (eg Stalin)?
6. Someone with a similar faith to the vast majority of decent people (that varies from agnostic through acknowledging through active depending on circumstance) who use it as a guide (not rule book) in their lives, who believe in justice, peace and "loving thy neighbour", who help at things like Scouts and donate food to the local foodbank, but who is human and therefor flawed and makes mistakes?
7. Someone so brainwashed that they believe they must kill other people who don't think the same way about God as they do.

I'd probably be happy with #6 but would pass on the others. From your statement can I take it that generalisation number 5 is best for you?
Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 16:00 - Jun 17 with 4551 viewsStokieBlue

Would it bother you to have a PM who openly believed in God? on 15:48 - Jun 17 by giant_stow

I am not sure that follows.

You don't need to make a decision not to believe in something. That's a very strange way of looking at things.

For instance do you make a conscious decision not to believe in dragons? I suspect you don't.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024