Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” 20:08 - Jun 17 with 5161 viewsTrequartista

I love Britishness being distinct from anything else thank you very much Mr Watson.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:06 - Jun 17 with 2170 viewsTrequartista

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:02 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

You've listed some British things.

I have listed British things that would not be the same if they weren't British as opposed to say a British give-way sign, which is exactly the same in Europe (apart from it being erected on the wrong side of the road)

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:08 - Jun 17 with 2169 viewsDarth_Koont

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 20:16 - Jun 17 by Ftnfwest

He’s not trying a sneaky angle of ‘Scottishness is therefore not distinct from Britishness’ is he?

In a world sense, he's right. We're European if you travel or look at anywhere else in the world.

Or, indeed, if you've met any Europeans and recognise the similarities.One of the great things about the EU is to recognise that farmers in Wales and farmers in Hungary or Denmark have a lot more in common than they have with financial services consultants in Cardiff, Budapest or Aalborg.

But returning to the UK. I don't think Britishness is that clear nowadays. I love the UK but I don't associate with the people who wave the flag the most. Who are these people?

And I'm certainly worried about what we've become. A major economy in its own right but the plight of many of its people has been ignored to listen instead to fools who know more about the Dambusters than about their neighbours.

We've become worse than the US. Because at least there they have the state governments and a profound sense of local community.

Pronouns: He/Him

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:10 - Jun 17 with 2164 viewsHerbivore

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:06 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

I have listed British things that would not be the same if they weren't British as opposed to say a British give-way sign, which is exactly the same in Europe (apart from it being erected on the wrong side of the road)

I'm no closer to understanding what you think Britishness is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:12 - Jun 17 with 2158 viewseireblue

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 21:58 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

You think another European country could have made Only Fools and Horses, Alan Partridge, Monty Python? Fish n Chips, Pop music. There are countless examples.

Fried Fish, and Fried Potatoes are European imports.
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:19 - Jun 17 with 2139 viewsTrequartista

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:10 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

I'm no closer to understanding what you think Britishness is.

I think everyone knows what i'm talking about, unless they've never visited this country before.

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:24 - Jun 17 with 2123 viewsHerbivore

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:19 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

I think everyone knows what i'm talking about, unless they've never visited this country before.

I don't, and I live and was born here.

Tom Watson on 22:30 - Jun 17 with 2114 viewseireblue

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:12 - Jun 17 by eireblue

Pickles are also served in Fish and Chip shops.

The word “pickle” comes either from a Dutch word ‘pekel’ or possible a northern German ‘pókel’ meaning “salt” or “brine".

Of course it is thought the origin of pickling comes from India.

I wonder if any TWTD posters have names derived from European words.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 22:31]
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:34 - Jun 17 with 2108 viewsTrequartista

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:24 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

I don't, and I live and was born here.

I have to be frank, i don't believe that. I believe that you don't know the definition of it, because it doesn't really have one, but I don't believe that you don't understand my examples.

Login to get fewer ads

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:35 - Jun 17 with 2104 viewsHerbivore

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:34 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

I have to be frank, i don't believe that. I believe that you don't know the definition of it, because it doesn't really have one, but I don't believe that you don't understand my examples.

I don't understand them. They're just things made in Britain, there's no unifying characteristic(s).

Tom Watson on 22:36 - Jun 17 with 2101 viewsTrequartista

Tom Watson on 22:30 - Jun 17 by eireblue

Pickles are also served in Fish and Chip shops.

The word “pickle” comes either from a Dutch word ‘pekel’ or possible a northern German ‘pókel’ meaning “salt” or “brine".

Of course it is thought the origin of pickling comes from India.

I wonder if any TWTD posters have names derived from European words.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 22:31]

and tea is from China? I don't think it contradicts how something can evolve as being identfied as culturally British.

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:41 - Jun 17 with 2089 viewsTrequartista

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:35 - Jun 17 by Herbivore

I don't understand them. They're just things made in Britain, there's no unifying characteristic(s).

They are things made in Britain that are not the same elsewhere, as opposed to things made in Britain that are the same elsewhere. I've already given examples of this, if you think there is a Bulgarian Only Fools and Horses lurking on YouTube somewhere then fine, we are all the same.

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:46 - Jun 17 with 2079 viewsHerbivore

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:41 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

They are things made in Britain that are not the same elsewhere, as opposed to things made in Britain that are the same elsewhere. I've already given examples of this, if you think there is a Bulgarian Only Fools and Horses lurking on YouTube somewhere then fine, we are all the same.

So what is Britishness then?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:47 - Jun 17 with 2080 viewsDarth_Koont

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:41 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

This is one of the strangest posts ever.

You know that the rest of the world doesn't get Only Fools and Horses in the same way they don't get Bulgaria's Vladka and the Two Turnips?

Tom Watson on 22:47 - Jun 17 with 2077 viewseireblue

Tom Watson on 22:36 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

and tea is from China? I don't think it contradicts how something can evolve as being identfied as culturally British.

Tea, is culturally Sri Lankan, as well.

What is the difference between Britishness and Englishness?
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:14 - Jun 17 with 2043 viewsWeWereZombies

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:19 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

Which of the countries in Britain are you talking about?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:19 - Jun 17 with 2037 viewsWeWereZombies

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:47 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

This is one of the strangest posts ever.

You know that the rest of the world doesn't get Only Fools and Horses in the same way they don't get Bulgaria's Vladka and the Two Turnips?

C'mon, the whole world loves Doncho Trotter and his helper Rodoslav.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:26 - Jun 17 with 2029 viewsDarth_Koont

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:19 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

C'mon, the whole world loves Doncho Trotter and his helper Rodoslav.

Remember the "Stranger from Plovdiv" episode? When Rodoslav fell in the septic tank?

I laughed so hard I shat myself.

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:38 - Jun 17 with 2018 viewsBlueBadger

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 20:12 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

He's not wrong.

But it's Tom Watson, so I'm wondering "What's his angle?"

'I am not only more competent than Jezza but I am more articulate too'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tom Watson on 00:24 - Jun 18 with 1984 viewsjeera

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:26 - Jun 17 by Darth_Koont

Remember the "Stranger from Plovdiv" episode? When Rodoslav fell in the septic tank?

I laughed so hard I shat myself.

I always loved the Spanish wartime sitcom, 'Ola, 'Ola.

And who could forget the boundry pushing Aime Ton Voisin?
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 9:08]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 00:55 - Jun 18 with 1975 viewsDarth_Koont

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 23:38 - Jun 17 by BlueBadger

'I am not only more competent than Jezza but I am more articulate too'?

I prefer the theory that he’ll say anything.

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 06:08 - Jun 18 with 1925 viewsgordon

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 22:12 - Jun 17 by eireblue

It's also a little known fact that the idea for Alan Partridge came from a performance by a Romanian gypsy theatre Steve Coogan saw in his gap year inter-railing around Europe.
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 06:15 - Jun 18 with 1920 viewsgordon

The most British thing in this thread is the desperate scrabbling around for a bit of identity and exceptionalism to snuggle up against, as we get ready to unleash our new post-brexit global Britain onto an unsuspecting world.
Tom Watson on 07:37 - Jun 18 with 1895 viewsChurchman

Tom Watson on 22:47 - Jun 17 by eireblue

Tea, is culturally Sri Lankan, as well.

What is the difference between Britishness and Englishness?

Britishness for me is cultural identity. This evolves over time, just language does. For example, the Normans gave us stone castles and 30% of the french language but little else. The vikings place names. What I am trying to say is that Britain is outward facing and absorbs ideas from around the world whether it is tea, Asian food, or Chinese and Japanese pottery. Europeans look more inward looking, with the exception of Holland. I accept this a generalisation,

Enhglish/British? The only real difference for me is that the latter incorporates countries whose origins differ
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 08:10 - Jun 18 with 1873 viewsdickie

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 06:08 - Jun 18 by gordon

It's also a little known fact that the idea for Alan Partridge came from a performance by a Romanian gypsy theatre Steve Coogan saw in his gap year inter-railing around Europe.

I'm also pretty sure that Armando Iannucci's Dad was an Italian immigrant
Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 08:10 - Jun 18 with 1874 viewshampstead_blue

Tom Watson "Britishness is not distinct from Europeanness” on 21:30 - Jun 17 by Trequartista

Because it is patently untrue. Each nation in Europe has it's own culture. We are not a United States of Europe.

The eventual coagulation of smaller countries into the USofEurope is their goal.

We have our own identity which whilst hard to describe is real and something worth keeping.

Watson has shown his hand with regard to the EU. He'll clearly take us deeper. In space.......no-one can hear you scream!!!!!!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024