Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Platini 20:01 - Jun 18 with 2194 viewsjudespiveyg

Been detained for possible corrupt vote for Qatar. If he's found guilty there's a very real chance Qatar lose the world cup, with England being touted as a possible alternative. While in my mind he is absolutely guilty (what other reason would he have voted for Qatar?), I doubt anything will happen and personally I believe Qatar will still host. Thoughts?

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Platini on 20:10 - Jun 18 with 2175 viewschristiand

The only way Qatar got the 2022 World Cup is because a few palms had been greased along the way. Seemed a bizarre decision at the time especially with its climate, having to hold the tournament during the winter and disruption it was going to cause, but looks like things are beginning to unravel. Problem is, Platini will be the tip of the iceberg at UEFA and FIFA both organisations appear rife with corruption from what I’ve read. The saying: ‘No smoke without fire,’ appears very apt.

In answer to your question, England has the infrastructure, has the history and has the facilities to host the tournament as from next week. It would be great to host the competition once again, it’s been too long already.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 20:27]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Platini on 20:40 - Jun 18 with 2100 viewsSE1blue

Platini on 20:10 - Jun 18 by christiand

The only way Qatar got the 2022 World Cup is because a few palms had been greased along the way. Seemed a bizarre decision at the time especially with its climate, having to hold the tournament during the winter and disruption it was going to cause, but looks like things are beginning to unravel. Problem is, Platini will be the tip of the iceberg at UEFA and FIFA both organisations appear rife with corruption from what I’ve read. The saying: ‘No smoke without fire,’ appears very apt.

In answer to your question, England has the infrastructure, has the history and has the facilities to host the tournament as from next week. It would be great to host the competition once again, it’s been too long already.

I personally don't have an issue with southern hemisphere teams hosting the World Cup outside of our European summer dates. I think we need to progress past that. Australia should be allowed to host a World Cup in our winter months for example otherwise the players, and football, are going to suffer.

Qatar was clearly financially motivated though as there are other nations that are far more deserving.

I also find it incredible that they were considering giving the USA another World Cup when they only had the WC in 1994. Surely there are more options.

But again, I'm sure that is down to money...

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Platini on 20:47 - Jun 18 with 2088 viewschristiand

Platini on 20:40 - Jun 18 by SE1blue

I personally don't have an issue with southern hemisphere teams hosting the World Cup outside of our European summer dates. I think we need to progress past that. Australia should be allowed to host a World Cup in our winter months for example otherwise the players, and football, are going to suffer.

Qatar was clearly financially motivated though as there are other nations that are far more deserving.

I also find it incredible that they were considering giving the USA another World Cup when they only had the WC in 1994. Surely there are more options.

I’m in agreement that football should be shared around, but regarding Qatar and it’s culture they’d have to get so many things in place it just made the decision very questionable. There just seemed better or more logical options, but as you alluded to In your post I’m sure ‘the green stuff’ was the deciding factor.

Platini on 20:47 - Jun 18 with 2088 viewsSE1blue

I actually have a way bigger issue with the fact Platini has admitted that the actual draw for the WC in France 98 was rigged so that France would meet Brazil in a potential 'dream final'.

Considering the level of money the public and businesses spend on the WC, that admission alone should result in a prison sentence.

Platini on 20:50 - Jun 18 with 2079 viewslinhdi

Platini on 20:10 - Jun 18 by christiand

It is almost inconceivable that Qatar will lose the World Cup now. Yes, the decision was entirely corrupt, but it will stand.

And it should be understood that England is not all that well placed to "step in". We have very few stadia that easily meet the criteria for World Cup games - the main problem being the requirement for a security and ticket check cordon well outside /around the stadium. Most of our grounds cannot easily meet this, due to lack of space around (e.g. Liverpool and Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Villa). Germany and France are far better placed, especially added to their recent history of running tournaments.
Platini on 20:50 - Jun 18 with 2075 viewsSE1blue

Platini on 20:47 - Jun 18 by christiand

I’m in agreement that football should be shared around, but regarding Qatar and it’s culture they’d have to get so many things in place it just made the decision very questionable. There just seemed better or more logical options, but as you alluded to In your post I’m sure ‘the green stuff’ was the deciding factor.

Yup, i think you should have the infrastructure in place at the time the location is awarded.

Too many people and places have suffered from rush builds or corner cutting leading up to events.

Platini on 20:57 - Jun 18 with 2051 viewschristiand

Platini on 20:50 - Jun 18 by linhdi

It is almost inconceivable that Qatar will lose the World Cup now. Yes, the decision was entirely corrupt, but it will stand.

And it should be understood that England is not all that well placed to "step in". We have very few stadia that easily meet the criteria for World Cup games - the main problem being the requirement for a security and ticket check cordon well outside /around the stadium. Most of our grounds cannot easily meet this, due to lack of space around (e.g. Liverpool and Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Villa). Germany and France are far better placed, especially added to their recent history of running tournaments.

If England were awarded the tournament, the FA would find the finances to make sure whatever requirements were needed would be in place and pronto.

Platini on 21:02 - Jun 18 with 2036 viewsallezlesbleus

Platini on 20:40 - Jun 18 by SE1blue

I was very surprised that Qatar were awarded it in favour of Australia. After SA and then Russia getting it, I was convinced it would have gone to Oz.

Like you, I was amazed that USA were even considered again so soon.

But, money talks...…….
Login to get fewer ads

Platini on 21:05 - Jun 18 with 2032 viewsHipsterectomy

From what I remember when we put in plans to host it there were some bizarre stadium developments planned. I think Plymouth's Home Park was looking at becoming 30,000, MK Dons stadium up to 40,000 etc

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Platini on 21:14 - Jun 18 with 2009 viewsJ2BLUE

There are lots and lots of reasons Qatar should lose the tournament. Even if we didn't get it, they don't deserve to host it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Platini on 21:48 - Jun 18 with 1934 viewsPinewoodblue

Platini on 21:14 - Jun 18 by J2BLUE

There are lots and lots of reasons Qatar should lose the tournament. Even if we didn't get it, they don't deserve to host it.

If FIFA wanted to move the world cup in 2022 their best option would be to follow the example set by next year's European championship. and spread games around Europe with the semi finals and final at Wembley . Goups in Spain & Portugal, France, Germany, Benelux & Switzerland and Scandinavia plus two groups in British Isles.

You might even say next year is a trial to check viability. UEFA would have a wildcard to allocate to any host nation that failed to qualify

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Platini on 22:07 - Jun 18 with 1890 viewsWeWereZombies

Platini on 21:48 - Jun 18 by Pinewoodblue

If FIFA wanted to move the world cup in 2022 their best option would be to follow the example set by next year's European championship. and spread games around Europe with the semi finals and final at Wembley . Goups in Spain & Portugal, France, Germany, Benelux & Switzerland and Scandinavia plus two groups in British Isles.

You might even say next year is a trial to check viability. UEFA would have a wildcard to allocate to any host nation that failed to qualify

Nations that have football history but have never hosted a World Cup:

Netherlands
Croatia
Peru
Poland
Czech Republic
Cameroon
Hungary
Scotland
Ivory Coast
Bulgaria
Ireland
Greece
Belgium
Denmark
Norway
Wales

And others, that do not have the financial clout or the infrastructure but shouldn't there be a way of hosting the tournament that serves the game rather than the hospitality industry?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Platini on 22:15 - Jun 18 with 1868 viewsipswichheritage

Platini on 22:07 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

Netherlands
Croatia
Peru
Poland
Czech Republic
Cameroon
Hungary
Scotland
Ivory Coast
Bulgaria
Ireland
Greece
Belgium
Denmark
Norway
Wales

And others, that do not have the financial clout or the infrastructure but shouldn't there be a way of hosting the tournament that serves the game rather than the hospitality industry?

I remember actually liking Platini many moons ago when he was a player and I was a kid. No idea why... bring back the death penalty - and shove this french scumbag in the chair I say...
Platini on 22:18 - Jun 18 with 1853 viewsWeWereZombies

Platini on 22:15 - Jun 18 by ipswichheritage

I remember actually liking Platini many moons ago when he was a player and I was a kid. No idea why... bring back the death penalty - and shove this french scumbag in the chair I say...

Actually it would be the guillotine in France, the electric chair is the United Sta...oh I see, rendition.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Platini on 22:23 - Jun 18 with 1842 viewsSE1blue

Platini on 22:07 - Jun 18 by WeWereZombies

Netherlands
Croatia
Peru
Poland
Czech Republic
Cameroon
Hungary
Scotland
Ivory Coast
Bulgaria
Ireland
Greece
Belgium
Denmark
Norway
Wales

I'd love to see a Scandinavian WC, if those countries would agree to co-sharing.

A Czech/Poland one would be fun too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024