Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? 20:10 - Jun 19 with 2561 viewschristiand

That was a wonderful save by England's Bardsley.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:14 - Jun 19 with 2124 viewsOldsmoker

And we've just scored.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:19 - Jun 19 with 2113 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:14 - Jun 19 by Oldsmoker

And we've just scored.

Another top save there from the Japanese keeper!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:21 - Jun 19 with 2106 viewsfooters

My missus is a keeper.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:23 - Jun 19 with 2099 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:21 - Jun 19 by footers

My missus is a keeper.

I second that

The Chilean keeper had a blinder against the Yanks a few nights back.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:31 - Jun 19 with 2089 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think it's accepted that it's probably the weakest position in the women's game.

But it will improve as participation increases and coaching gets better.

Smaller goals would help, in proportion to the average height of the players, but seems to be a difference of opinion on that.

Was it the Argentina keeper who had a good match the other night?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 20:32]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:37 - Jun 19 with 2068 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:31 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think it's accepted that it's probably the weakest position in the women's game.

But it will improve as participation increases and coaching gets better.

Smaller goals would help, in proportion to the average height of the players, but seems to be a difference of opinion on that.

Was it the Argentina keeper who had a good match the other night?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 20:32]

No doubt it is, it’s technically and mentally the most challenging position on the pitch. The two saves tonight by either keeper were fantastic. If that was Bart, we’d all be waxing lyrical. If you missed Bardsley’s save from the free kick, that was heading for the top corner. Both saves well worth a watch again.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 20:39]

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:46 - Jun 19 with 2048 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:37 - Jun 19 by christiand

No doubt it is, it’s technically and mentally the most challenging position on the pitch. The two saves tonight by either keeper were fantastic. If that was Bart, we’d all be waxing lyrical. If you missed Bardsley’s save from the free kick, that was heading for the top corner. Both saves well worth a watch again.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 20:39]

I play in goal, so I appreciate the issues.

It's totally irrelevant 'if it was Bart'...

...people have been waxing lyrical about the saves. As evidenced on here.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:55 - Jun 19 with 2032 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:46 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

I play in goal, so I appreciate the issues.

It's totally irrelevant 'if it was Bart'...

...people have been waxing lyrical about the saves. As evidenced on here.

Of course it’s not. Every Saturday if Bart makes a save it’s highlighted. If he made those two tonight, we wouldn’t hear the end of it. Both those saves were top drawer.

Login to get fewer ads

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:57 - Jun 19 with 2022 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:55 - Jun 19 by christiand

Of course it’s not. Every Saturday if Bart makes a save it’s highlighted. If he made those two tonight, we wouldn’t hear the end of it. Both those saves were top drawer.

It is.

They were both good saves, and have been recognised as such.

Social media and the pundits have been full of praise.

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:03 - Jun 19 with 2012 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 20:57 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

It is.

They were both good saves, and have been recognised as such.

Social media and the pundits have been full of praise.

I appreciate you an argumentative old soul, but the female keepers during this tournament have taken a bit of criticism and probably rightly so. They deserve the accolades they are getting when making such spectacular stops, they weren’t just ordinary saves. If you’re telling me they were ‘good’ saves, you’ve clearly not made any like that!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:06 - Jun 19 with 2001 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:03 - Jun 19 by christiand

I appreciate you an argumentative old soul, but the female keepers during this tournament have taken a bit of criticism and probably rightly so. They deserve the accolades they are getting when making such spectacular stops, they weren’t just ordinary saves. If you’re telling me they were ‘good’ saves, you’ve clearly not made any like that!

I've said they were good saves and have also pointed out other good performances by keepers.

All I said was I don't think your point about Bart was relevant, or accurate.

...and you say I'm an argumentative old soul.

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:11 - Jun 19 with 1996 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:06 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

I've said they were good saves and have also pointed out other good performances by keepers.

All I said was I don't think your point about Bart was relevant, or accurate.

...and you say I'm an argumentative old soul.

It’s very valid. If Bart had made those we wouldn’t hear the end of it and you know it! Let’s be honest, he gets lots of plaudits for very ordinary saves and I’m a Bart fan. The fact it’s two female keepers it’s probably been diluted to ‘good,’ they were a lot better than that.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 21:13]

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:14 - Jun 19 with 1992 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:11 - Jun 19 by christiand

It’s very valid. If Bart had made those we wouldn’t hear the end of it and you know it! Let’s be honest, he gets lots of plaudits for very ordinary saves and I’m a Bart fan. The fact it’s two female keepers it’s probably been diluted to ‘good,’ they were a lot better than that.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 21:13]

In my view;

The Bardsley save was very good. Arguably it was a 40 yard free kick without a great deal of pace that a keeper would be expected to make.

the save from the Japan keeper was in the centre of the goal, where she was positioned. It had pace and swerve and she showed good reactions. Again, you would expect a keeper to make that save.

Good performances from both so far, good to see.

As ever, football is subjective.

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:28 - Jun 19 with 1957 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:14 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

In my view;

The Bardsley save was very good. Arguably it was a 40 yard free kick without a great deal of pace that a keeper would be expected to make.

the save from the Japan keeper was in the centre of the goal, where she was positioned. It had pace and swerve and she showed good reactions. Again, you would expect a keeper to make that save.

Good performances from both so far, good to see.

As ever, football is subjective.

Wow, did you not mention in a previous thread perhaps goal sizes should be smaller for females due to the physical size difference between males and females? For Bardsley’s save, yes the free kick was a distance out, but she’s tipped that out of the top corner and over the bar, that’s a terrific save that any keeper would be proud of making, male or female. The Japanese keeper might have been positioned in the middle of the goal, but that’s come through a ruck of players, at pace and I think it took a deflection on route too (I could be wrong). Yes, it’s instinctive, but it’s definitely not one you’d expect a keeper to make, it certainly wasn’t straight above her head. For me, that was the better save.

I tell you something, I’d like to come and watch you keep goal because if you are quantifying those saves as ones you’d expect a keeper to make you’re playing at the wrong standard of football. One thing I do agree with you is both keepers are having solid games and doing their jobs effectively thus far.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 21:54]

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:34 - Jun 19 with 1939 viewsvilanovablue

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:03 - Jun 19 by christiand

In fairness it was probably only the Thailand keeper who has had a por game but the rest of, her team haven't helped. The standard of keeping has improved immeasurably since I've been paying attention to Women's football over the last 5 years or so. In fairness the same can be said for the rest of the play as well. Plus they mostly get in with it and don't give the ref abuse which I find really refreshing.
Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:36 - Jun 19 with 1936 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:28 - Jun 19 by christiand

Wow, did you not mention in a previous thread perhaps goal sizes should be smaller for females due to the physical size difference between males and females? For Bardsley’s save, yes the free kick was a distance out, but she’s tipped that out of the top corner and over the bar, that’s a terrific save that any keeper would be proud of making, male or female. The Japanese keeper might have been positioned in the middle of the goal, but that’s come through a ruck of players, at pace and I think it took a deflection on route too (I could be wrong). Yes, it’s instinctive, but it’s definitely not one you’d expect a keeper to make, it certainly wasn’t straight above her head. For me, that was the better save.

I tell you something, I’d like to come and watch you keep goal because if you are quantifying those saves as ones you’d expect a keeper to make you’re playing at the wrong standard of football. One thing I do agree with you is both keepers are having solid games and doing their jobs effectively thus far.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 21:54]

Just my opinion on the technicality of those saves and what I would expect of a professional keeper. As I say, football is a game of opinions.

At the end of the day, you're unhappy that I described a save as 'very good'' rather than 'outstanding'.

To be fair, I thought the save from the Duggan shot was probably the best of the lot.

Happy to agree to differ.

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:41 - Jun 19 with 1915 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:36 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Just my opinion on the technicality of those saves and what I would expect of a professional keeper. As I say, football is a game of opinions.

At the end of the day, you're unhappy that I described a save as 'very good'' rather than 'outstanding'.

To be fair, I thought the save from the Duggan shot was probably the best of the lot.

Happy to agree to differ.

If you are saying the save from Duggan was her best, that says it all for me. I think that confirms we’re now done on this discussion point. Enjoyed the verbal jousting though!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:43 - Jun 19 with 1909 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:41 - Jun 19 by christiand

If you are saying the save from Duggan was her best, that says it all for me. I think that confirms we’re now done on this discussion point. Enjoyed the verbal jousting though!

It's all opinions.

It's easier for some to appreciate saves from distance even though they are easier to make.

It's harder to appreciate a save at close range that requires quicker reactions.

All a question of opinion.

Done. ;-)

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:47 - Jun 19 with 1905 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:43 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's all opinions.

It's easier for some to appreciate saves from distance even though they are easier to make.

It's harder to appreciate a save at close range that requires quicker reactions.

All a question of opinion.

Done. ;-)

I’m still speechless from the Duggan save comment!!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:54 - Jun 19 with 1884 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:47 - Jun 19 by christiand

That's fair enough.

If you're not a keeper you probably don't have a good understanding.

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:56 - Jun 19 with 1868 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:54 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's fair enough.

If you're not a keeper you probably don't have a good understanding.

Hmmm.....I’m still speechless!!

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:58 - Jun 19 with 1863 viewssundaze

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:47 - Jun 19 by christiand

Forget about that. Wait until you see the VAR penalty retake against Scotland in extra time.
Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 22:01 - Jun 19 with 1849 viewschristiand

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 21:58 - Jun 19 by sundaze

Forget about that. Wait until you see the VAR penalty retake against Scotland in extra time.

Sundaze, I flicked it over at exactly that point. Felt so sorry for the Scottish keeper after making that terrific double save (although some will think routine) and then VAR points out she didn’t have a part of her foot on the goal line. Think my view is slowly beginning to change on VAR!!! 😖
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 22:10]

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 22:04 - Jun 19 with 1844 viewssparks

Whilst it was a decent save, the ball wasnt exactly moving at high speed. You would expect most keepers at non league level in the mens game to get that.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 22:05 - Jun 19 with 1839 viewssundaze

Who was having a moan about the standard of female keepers? on 22:01 - Jun 19 by christiand

Sundaze, I flicked it over at exactly that point. Felt so sorry for the Scottish keeper after making that terrific double save (although some will think routine) and then VAR points out she didn’t have a part of her foot on the goal line. Think my view is slowly beginning to change on VAR!!! 😖
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 22:10]

I think it needs to be looked into over the next few weeks before they use it in the Premier league, otherwise there are going to be a lot of problems next season.
As you have said. VAR in itself isn't a problem, it is how it is being used.

By the way, did you clock the sudden end of the game?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024