Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classy goodbye from Jonas 20:38 - Jun 19 with 6246 viewsMullet

https://www.instagram.com/p/By5wUgKA5j9/?igshid=19wke2bn3dekz

Yet another decent player who should be playing for us in the second tier and won't be. This window is going to really allow us to take stock of the last few years and the foolishness that has engulfed the club.

If Lambert can spot and develop half the players moving on from us, or filling the coffers by moving on again we might just be ok eventually.

Do we even use wyscout anymore or are we down to a bootleg open office style rip off?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 08:50 - Jun 20 with 1670 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 08:11 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

That isn't remotely what happened. He came back from the World Cup with a year left on his contract and Hurst very publicly declared that he wasn't going to seek to sort his contract out straight away. It got left until Lambert came in, who immediately couldn't believe we hadn't tied him down to a new contract, but by then we were adrift at the bottom of the league. Can hardly blame him for wanting to look at other options in those circumstances.

Sounds about right to me. This is yet another piece of evidence that Evans cannot manage this club himself and neither can the people he has appointed. The club desperately needs a professional (DoF) responsible for recruitment, transfers and contracts etc. It really is not that difficult to keep a track of your own players contracts, and have the first team manager/trainer make a decision ahead of the last year of that contract whether to keep or sell that player. If the player/his agent stalls on negotiating a new contract, the club needs to sell. Evans is reluctant to invest more money than absolutely necessary in the club (his prerogative), but makes such poor decisions, forcing him to inject more cash.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 08:53 - Jun 20 with 1658 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 08:50 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Sounds about right to me. This is yet another piece of evidence that Evans cannot manage this club himself and neither can the people he has appointed. The club desperately needs a professional (DoF) responsible for recruitment, transfers and contracts etc. It really is not that difficult to keep a track of your own players contracts, and have the first team manager/trainer make a decision ahead of the last year of that contract whether to keep or sell that player. If the player/his agent stalls on negotiating a new contract, the club needs to sell. Evans is reluctant to invest more money than absolutely necessary in the club (his prerogative), but makes such poor decisions, forcing him to inject more cash.

The decision not to negotiate a contract last summer was Hurst's, not Evans'.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 09:00 - Jun 20 with 1649 viewsBluebell

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 21:07 - Jun 19 by PJH

I am not sure that he did go all Billy big boll*cks.
I think the first time that there was any suggestion that his time at ITFC might be approaching it's end was when Hurst announced that he(Hurst) was not interested in discussing a new contract for Jonas last September.
By January Jonas was quite reasonably considering new employment as at that point he was potentially going to be out of work on 30th June(as he seemingly still is).

This....

I have a feeling his words were misinterpreted due to his lack of understanding completely the English language. I seem to remember reading that, after Hurst had said what he did, Jonas said something like 'I don't know what I will be doing when my contract ends'. This was taken to mean that he wanted to leave by Lambert.

I wish all the best for Jonas. A great player and one we should have had in the team all last season!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 9:10]
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 09:08 - Jun 20 with 1639 viewsBigManBlue

Could never understand the stick the guy got. He wasn't the best left-back ever seen but he always put in a shift and suited the way we played very well, last year aside (not to mention having a few magic moments in derby games!).

Given our recent-past form in this area, his departure strikes me as yet more mismanagement of contracts from the club than a concerted effort to jump ship, thinking he was too big for us. Sure he'll do well somewhere in the Champ or equivalent and best of luck.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 10:18 - Jun 20 with 1607 viewsmarchy

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 20:50 - Jun 19 by Mullet

Let what go? A needless relegation? Mismanagement? Our worst season ever? It's that sort of attitude that will see the club sink while a few delusional types keep pretending this will be the best thing that ever happens to them.

Evans should be held to account for all of this, it's on his watch. Even promotion merely puts us back below where we were by half a league table. There needs to be short, medium and long term improvement as a minimum.

What form would being held to account take?
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 10:27 - Jun 20 with 1599 viewsSouperJim

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 10:18 - Jun 20 by marchy

What form would being held to account take?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:05 - Jun 20 with 1572 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 08:53 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

The decision not to negotiate a contract last summer was Hurst's, not Evans'.

Yep, and that is why a DoF is needed because Evans himself is not capable of managing these issues, and it will not always be a priority for the manager to sort it out.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:15 - Jun 20 with 1556 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:05 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Yep, and that is why a DoF is needed because Evans himself is not capable of managing these issues, and it will not always be a priority for the manager to sort it out.

I don't really follow the argument. An owner shouldn't overrule a manager when it comes to the squad and how it's constituted. A DoF shouldn't entirely overrule them either; if a manager doesn't feel a player should have a new contract it'd be pretty undermining for a DoF to go against that decision. Hurst took the active decision not to offer him a contract. This, like many things, is on him.

Login to get fewer ads

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:21 - Jun 20 with 1550 viewsPhilTWTD

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:15 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

I don't really follow the argument. An owner shouldn't overrule a manager when it comes to the squad and how it's constituted. A DoF shouldn't entirely overrule them either; if a manager doesn't feel a player should have a new contract it'd be pretty undermining for a DoF to go against that decision. Hurst took the active decision not to offer him a contract. This, like many things, is on him.

Indeed, if the manager decides like Hurst to take his time on whether a player should be offere a contract then a DoF would follow that, assuming the final say on recruitment is with the manager.

Although Hurst ought to have addressed the situation, it was probably too late by that point anyway and it was something Mick should have got ME to sort in his last season but he did seem to take his eye off the ball on that front in his final year. Having a manager who evidently thought he was off at the end of the season was probably the biggest failing.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:16 - Jun 20 with 1497 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 11:15 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

Nobody spoke about overruling a manager. That would be foolish. It is simply putting rules in place to protect assets. The first team manager would have to make the decision to keep a player or sell him. The option to allow any player to run down their contract should be used extremely sparingly, if at all, especially when you are watching every penny.

It seems that in the case of Knudsen, Hurst did not want to offer him a new contract or wanted to delay it, for whatever reason. A conversation should have taken place with Evans to establish whether he should be sold. If Hurst was still absolutely adamant that he wanted to keep him, but not offer him a new contract, then he would have to come up with some extremely convincing arguments.

It is Evans' money and his ultimate responsibility, but Evans has been making these basic errors for 10+ years now, so I don't suppose it will change soon.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:23 - Jun 20 with 1484 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:16 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Nobody spoke about overruling a manager. That would be foolish. It is simply putting rules in place to protect assets. The first team manager would have to make the decision to keep a player or sell him. The option to allow any player to run down their contract should be used extremely sparingly, if at all, especially when you are watching every penny.

It seems that in the case of Knudsen, Hurst did not want to offer him a new contract or wanted to delay it, for whatever reason. A conversation should have taken place with Evans to establish whether he should be sold. If Hurst was still absolutely adamant that he wanted to keep him, but not offer him a new contract, then he would have to come up with some extremely convincing arguments.

It is Evans' money and his ultimate responsibility, but Evans has been making these basic errors for 10+ years now, so I don't suppose it will change soon.

You're just repeating yourself here and I've explained why your take isn't really relevant to what happened with Jonas. There's plenty to criticise Evans for but the Knudsen situation is all on Hurst.

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:40 - Jun 20 with 1452 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:23 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

You're just repeating yourself here and I've explained why your take isn't really relevant to what happened with Jonas. There's plenty to criticise Evans for but the Knudsen situation is all on Hurst.

Not quite sure whether I should take that seriously, but in case you are being genuine, could you enlighten me as to the series of conversations between Evans and Hurst about the Knudsen contract sitaution last Summer? I am especially interested in the grounds that Hurst used to convince Evans that Knudsen should neither receive the offer of a new cntract nor be sold.

BTW, it could never all be on Hurst. Hurst was appointed by Evans and was his boss and therefore by default, he is ultimately responsible.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:07 - Jun 20 with 1432 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:40 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Not quite sure whether I should take that seriously, but in case you are being genuine, could you enlighten me as to the series of conversations between Evans and Hurst about the Knudsen contract sitaution last Summer? I am especially interested in the grounds that Hurst used to convince Evans that Knudsen should neither receive the offer of a new cntract nor be sold.

BTW, it could never all be on Hurst. Hurst was appointed by Evans and was his boss and therefore by default, he is ultimately responsible.

No, I can't enlighten you on the exact content of their conversations as I'm sure you well know. I'm sure you must also know that's not a reasonable request.

You seem keen to pin blame on Evans. I've explained why I feel Hurst, rather than Evans, is culpable in this instance. Let's agree to disagree as I'm not going to shift my view and yours seems pretty set as well.

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:36 - Jun 20 with 1409 viewsballycastle

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 12:40 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Was MM not heavily involved in this? Should he have sorted the contract at 18months?

Did he take his eye off the ball due to not having his contract renewed? Ulterior financial motive perhaps?
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:37 - Jun 20 with 1407 viewsNo9

Sorry to see him go, I hope he gets the right club and progresses
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:37 - Jun 20 with 1405 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:36 - Jun 20 by ballycastle

Was MM not heavily involved in this? Should he have sorted the contract at 18months?

Did he take his eye off the ball due to not having his contract renewed? Ulterior financial motive perhaps?

Seriously?

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:38 - Jun 20 with 1406 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:07 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

No, I can't enlighten you on the exact content of their conversations as I'm sure you well know. I'm sure you must also know that's not a reasonable request.

You seem keen to pin blame on Evans. I've explained why I feel Hurst, rather than Evans, is culpable in this instance. Let's agree to disagree as I'm not going to shift my view and yours seems pretty set as well.

I am not "keen to pin blame on Evans", but I am keen on basing my opinions on available information.

Hurst is clearly culpable in the Knudsen saga. However, Knudsen is not the first player Evans has allowed to walk out the door for free over the years, is he? Different managers, same owner, same mistake.

Evans doesn't control the issue himself and does not put systems or people in place to do it for him. For that, he is to blame, and at a far higher level than any team manager because if he doesn't correct the problem, it will happen again in the future.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:40 - Jun 20 with 1404 viewsNo9

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:36 - Jun 20 by ballycastle

You are probably correct, that seems to be one of the problems PL has identified that needs correcting

It is apparent the last few seasons ITFC has not been run properly
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:40 - Jun 20 with 1404 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:38 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

I am not "keen to pin blame on Evans", but I am keen on basing my opinions on available information.

Hurst is clearly culpable in the Knudsen saga. However, Knudsen is not the first player Evans has allowed to walk out the door for free over the years, is he? Different managers, same owner, same mistake.

Evans doesn't control the issue himself and does not put systems or people in place to do it for him. For that, he is to blame, and at a far higher level than any team manager because if he doesn't correct the problem, it will happen again in the future.

Hurst publicly said he wasn't going to offer Knudsen a new deal in the summer. That's on him. Agree to disagree as I said.

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:44 - Jun 20 with 1396 viewsNo9

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:38 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

"Hurst is clearly culpable in the Knudsen saga. However, Knudsen is not the first player Evans has allowed to walk out the door for free over the years, is he? Different managers, same owner, same mistake."

The JK situation should have been resolved long before Hurst arrived.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:52 - Jun 20 with 1389 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:40 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

Hurst publicly said he wasn't going to offer Knudsen a new deal in the summer. That's on him. Agree to disagree as I said.

Agreed. That part of it certainly was on Hurst. Never disputed.

Wow, this does make me wonder how many Ipswich fans refuse to see the bigger picture though.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 14:09 - Jun 20 with 1376 viewsballycastle

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:37 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

Seriously?

Contracts are usually renegotiated at around 18 months to 2 years I believe.

MM would not be the first football manager to be financially 'shrewd', certainly with the Irish signings.

Losing 'Mad dog' chortle, to a free is poor management from a variety of parties though.
Classy goodbye from Jonas on 15:15 - Jun 20 with 1327 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 14:09 - Jun 20 by ballycastle

Contracts are usually renegotiated at around 18 months to 2 years I believe.

MM would not be the first football manager to be financially 'shrewd', certainly with the Irish signings.

Losing 'Mad dog' chortle, to a free is poor management from a variety of parties though.

Imagine the uproar on here if Mick had given one of his 'proper blokes' a lengthy contract when Mick himself was on his way out.

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 15:17 - Jun 20 with 1322 viewsHerbivore

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 13:52 - Jun 20 by FrankfurtBlue

Agreed. That part of it certainly was on Hurst. Never disputed.

Wow, this does make me wonder how many Ipswich fans refuse to see the bigger picture though.

You misunderstand me. I do see the bigger picture and agree there have been numerous instances where ME's lack of nous and a lack of an overarching footballing strategy has caused us problems. I just feel that Jonas is a poor example of that given that we could easily have offered him new terms, as we did with Bart, last summer, but the man charged with making such calls was clear that he didn't want to do so.

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 15:23 - Jun 20 with 1320 viewsballycastle

Classy goodbye from Jonas on 15:15 - Jun 20 by Herbivore

Imagine the uproar on here if Mick had given one of his 'proper blokes' a lengthy contract when Mick himself was on his way out.

Perhaps MM was hoping to get a club job, sign Knudsen for nothing and take a part of the deal, it happens and is a little naïve to believe otherwise.

Pure devils advocate by the way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024