Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article about changing nuclear doctrine 21:00 - Jun 19 with 839 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/19/nuclear-weapons-pentagon-us-milita

Probably already seen by many here already but one thing it doesn't mention is was this document briefly published as a threat, knowing it would become an issue? Apart from that, the whole thing smacks of the US being worried about fighting conventionally against Iran so wondering how else to beat them. Anyway, I know nothing - just thought it was all a bit odd.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 21:43 - Jun 19 with 805 viewsfactual_blue

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You live in London, so you'll be vapourised in the first wave of missiles.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 21:54 - Jun 19 with 791 viewsgiant_stow

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 21:43 - Jun 19 by factual_blue

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You live in London, so you'll be vapourised in the first wave of missiles.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Thanks factual

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 21:56 - Jun 19 with 794 viewsfactual_blue

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 21:54 - Jun 19 by giant_stow

Thanks factual

I'm heading towards RAF Lakenheath when the time comes, and emptying half a dozen insulin pens into myself when I get there.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 00:30 - Jun 20 with 750 viewsGuthrum

It could be some sort of implied threat, but that would be incredibly clumsy. Not that the present administration is known for its finesse.

In terms of the paper's content (as far as it is revealed in that article), lower-yield warheads and more accurate delivery systems do bring in the possibility of using nuclear battlefield weapons. Primarily useful for hardened targets, troop concentrations, supply dumps, infrastructure and the like, rather than bluntly wiping out population centres. However, due to the lasting radiation effects, it is still an extremely sensitive topic and would invite retaliation if actually used.

Given the weapons systems exist (and other nations have them, too), plans for their strategic and tactical use need to be explored.Which is where this document likely comes in. Doesn't mean to say this is actually US military policy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 09:09 - Jun 20 with 687 viewsStokieBlue

It's a rather worrying direction to take.

As for being worried about not being able to defeat Iran conventionally, I'm not sure about that. Iran wouldn't last long against a committed US aerial attack. Ground fighting is a different matter of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 09:25 - Jun 20 with 671 viewsgiant_stow

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 09:09 - Jun 20 by StokieBlue

It's a rather worrying direction to take.

As for being worried about not being able to defeat Iran conventionally, I'm not sure about that. Iran wouldn't last long against a committed US aerial attack. Ground fighting is a different matter of course.

SB

Again with the disclaimer that I talk out of my arse, wouldn't the yanks be worried about asymmetric reprisals, like 'terror' attacks on US soil, or closing off the oil supply line, regardless of air superiority? Iran could make the Iraq war look short.

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 09:36 - Jun 20 with 662 viewsStokieBlue

Article about changing nuclear doctrine on 09:25 - Jun 20 by giant_stow

Again with the disclaimer that I talk out of my arse, wouldn't the yanks be worried about asymmetric reprisals, like 'terror' attacks on US soil, or closing off the oil supply line, regardless of air superiority? Iran could make the Iraq war look short.

I'm not sure any of those things fall under "conventional".

The US won't like Iran closing off the oil supplies but they are pretty self-sufficient now with all the shale and they also have huge reserves for emergencies.

On the ground it would be a mess but if the US just wanted to disarm them and give the students (who are usually protesting against the leaders) a chance to protest they could.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024