Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Password breach? 12:17 - Jun 20 with 4259 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

How come User passwords for this site are available to purchase on hacking websites?

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Password breach? on 14:50 - Jun 20 with 618 viewsCoastalblue

Password breach? on 12:51 - Jun 20 by Guthrum

How secure are password managers? Genuine question, as always sounded an iffy idea to me.

I've used Last Pass for years and always felt secure, it also is interesting sometimes going back through your 'vault' and rediscovering stuff you registered with many, many moons ago.

Without this I doubt I'd use my phone online at all as I'd never remember log in details but the fact I can have it across different formats helps a ton with that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Password breach? on 16:40 - Jun 20 with 581 viewsDanTheMan

Password breach? on 14:20 - Jun 20 by giant_stow

Fair enough, but does a long series of gibberish charavcters (noted somewhere secure) beat a long series of words? Do password guessing programmes start with words or assume nothing?

If they are of equal length and truly random, then the long series of characters beats words. With password managers, you can just use a massive list of random characters and that works fine.

However the password for your password manager is the one you want to be memorable and long, and preferably just in your memory.

One thing that computers are really good at is working out patterns. So p@ssw0rd is effectively no different than password because all you have to do is tell the program to also try @ when there is an a.

Most hacking programs will use lists of the most commonly used passwords and combinations of common words with replacements. Also things like dates etc.

What they won't bother doing is dictionary attacks (where you use words) with spaces in because almost nobody uses this type of password. In a hypothetical future where everyone uses this type of password then they might switch up the way they attack and go for these passwords.

Ultimately though most passwords are not guessed, they are leaked through poor security practices such as passwords being stored in insecure formats and then cracked and sold.

And because people re-use their password, the password for some random eCommerce style site is as useful as the one to your bank account.

Another TL;DR:

Use a set of random words you can remember to get into your password manager. Store your passwords in the password manager and they can be long and random.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Password breach? on 17:18 - Jun 20 with 557 viewsSwansea_Blue

Password breach? on 14:07 - Jun 20 by Guthrum

Thanks Dan.

No, I think they need to be longer than that

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Password breach? on 17:22 - Jun 20 with 555 viewsSwansea_Blue

Password breach? on 14:13 - Jun 20 by giant_stow

I'm confused - I thought using words as passwords was a real no no.

As long as you use ‘correct horse battery staple’ you’ll be fine. Nobody knows about that one.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Password breach? on 17:38 - Jun 20 with 538 viewsgiant_stow

Password breach? on 16:40 - Jun 20 by DanTheMan

If they are of equal length and truly random, then the long series of characters beats words. With password managers, you can just use a massive list of random characters and that works fine.

However the password for your password manager is the one you want to be memorable and long, and preferably just in your memory.

One thing that computers are really good at is working out patterns. So p@ssw0rd is effectively no different than password because all you have to do is tell the program to also try @ when there is an a.

Most hacking programs will use lists of the most commonly used passwords and combinations of common words with replacements. Also things like dates etc.

What they won't bother doing is dictionary attacks (where you use words) with spaces in because almost nobody uses this type of password. In a hypothetical future where everyone uses this type of password then they might switch up the way they attack and go for these passwords.

Ultimately though most passwords are not guessed, they are leaked through poor security practices such as passwords being stored in insecure formats and then cracked and sold.

And because people re-use their password, the password for some random eCommerce style site is as useful as the one to your bank account.

Another TL;DR:

Use a set of random words you can remember to get into your password manager. Store your passwords in the password manager and they can be long and random.

Thanks Dan, really appreciate that run through - ta.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024