Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 14:37 - Jun 20 with 1612 viewsbahri

Apparently, the Premier League aren't going to use VAR for goalkeepers moving off the line for a penalty. Going to leave it to on field officials. Hallelujah
On the BBC website.

Don't know how to do them (fancy) links

redandella

VAR on 14:44 - Jun 20 with 1586 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Does seem a strange decision. It's a decision based on fact like a ball crossing the goal line.
VAR on 14:47 - Jun 20 with 1574 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 14:44 - Jun 20 by Blue_In_Boston

Does seem a strange decision. It's a decision based on fact like a ball crossing the goal line.

I agree with the OP.

If its going to be decided in measurements to the millimetre its just daft.

Its very difficult for a keeper to be that precise.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR on 15:37 - Jun 20 with 1532 viewschristiand

Quite right, it’s the sensible decision. Initially thought rules are rules, but last night was just a mockery and helped me see the light! Penalised for making a fantastic double save....blimey!!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 15:42]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

VAR on 07:48 - Jun 21 with 1437 viewsBlue_In_Boston

VAR on 14:47 - Jun 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree with the OP.

In principle I also agree with the decision, but you see incidents reviewed that a room full of people would be split on - then ignore correcting a decision based on fact? Already can see VAR being a farce.
VAR on 08:17 - Jun 21 with 1417 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR on 14:47 - Jun 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree with the OP.

It's actually very easy for a keeper to stay on his line until the ball is struck. Jumping forwards before the ball is struck is cheating, plain and simple. Yes, almost all keepers do ti because it's a law that has routinely been ignored for years and no doubt it's been part of training routines. But it is very easy to stay on your line and dive sideways.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR on 08:43 - Jun 21 with 1400 viewssparks

VAR on 08:17 - Jun 21 by Radlett_blue

It's actually very easy for a keeper to stay on his line until the ball is struck. Jumping forwards before the ball is struck is cheating, plain and simple. Yes, almost all keepers do ti because it's a law that has routinely been ignored for years and no doubt it's been part of training routines. But it is very easy to stay on your line and dive sideways.

Football is in real danger of being wrecked. All the spontaneity sucked out of it. They have already screwed up with the penalty rule change preventing rebounds. Is there a more wonderful moment watching football than seeing your team miss a vital pen, and then the relief of gettingt he rebound?

And now all this nonsense with giving handball for obviously accidental touches, and checking every little thing before awarding a goal. Celebrations will be muted, pending confirmation. And then the moment is gone.

Its awful. I was wrong in being in favour of it before it came in.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

VAR on 08:48 - Jun 21 with 1395 viewsuefacup81

I'm not sure I agree with that, if UEFA and FIFA competitions are still going to use VAR for things like that.

The commentary team on SCO v ARG made a very good point that the whole issue will be overcome by goalkeepers learning to adjust their timings. If the rule won't be enforced in the Premier League, it puts those teams/goalkeepers at a disadvantage.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

VAR on 09:08 - Jun 21 with 1383 viewslongtimefan

I really don't understand that decision since they will rule whether a player is offside by millimeters. So much for consistency. I'd much rather only goal line decision was used but we'll now be in a situation where via a binary decision VAR will be able to show a goal shouldn't stand yet will do nothing to correct it. The same applies for encroachment at penalties.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 09:20 - Jun 21 with 1372 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR on 08:43 - Jun 21 by sparks

Football is in real danger of being wrecked. All the spontaneity sucked out of it. They have already screwed up with the penalty rule change preventing rebounds. Is there a more wonderful moment watching football than seeing your team miss a vital pen, and then the relief of gettingt he rebound?

And now all this nonsense with giving handball for obviously accidental touches, and checking every little thing before awarding a goal. Celebrations will be muted, pending confirmation. And then the moment is gone.

Its awful. I was wrong in being in favour of it before it came in.

Like you, I dislike the idea of VAR being used to make hairsbreadth decisions but once you bring in VAR, unfortunately that's inevitable so I would prefer not to have it.
I think the penalty rule change is unnecessary but it does then get rid of the issue of persistent encroachment (another law that has routinely been ignored for years as players then continue to cheat).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR on 09:30 - Jun 21 with 1365 viewsBigManBlue

I'd only be alright with this being implemented if it was also used to disallow penalties where the taker had stopped or stuttered in the run-up.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

VAR on 11:23 - Jun 21 with 1326 viewsgosblue

VAR on 08:48 - Jun 21 by uefacup81

I'm not sure I agree with that, if UEFA and FIFA competitions are still going to use VAR for things like that.

The commentary team on SCO v ARG made a very good point that the whole issue will be overcome by goalkeepers learning to adjust their timings. If the rule won't be enforced in the Premier League, it puts those teams/goalkeepers at a disadvantage.

I must say I was surprised by the pundit’s post match comment about coaching goalkeepers. She inferred that goalkeepers are coached to move off their line and may have to be re-trained to stay on the goal line until the ball is kicked. Moving forward before the kick is against the rules and needs stamping out. Whether that is done via VAR or the fourth official doesn’t matter. Why should we make it easier for goalkeepers, it is a PENALTY.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024