Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Aruba? 15:28 - Jun 20 with 1297 viewsWeWereZombies

She's found a flight deal and it would be nice to go the Caribbean (although I would prefer two months after Christmas rather than two weeks starting in a few days).

Although it is outside 'Hurricane Alley' it could get stormy (which might be interesting), apart from that it seems like a small island with not much going on, anyone been and have advice?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:29 - Jun 20 with 1292 viewsSpruceMoose

A couple of colleagues went a while ago. Seems to be a quick hop on the plane from here. Is there anything specific you'd like to know? If so I'll ask them.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:35 - Jun 20 with 1273 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:29 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

A couple of colleagues went a while ago. Seems to be a quick hop on the plane from here. Is there anything specific you'd like to know? If so I'll ask them.

Thanks, just after something else to do apart from loll on a beach, go to a bar and have a meal. Good walks for example, places to escape to if we have a holiday break up...

And is the highlight of the year the Goat Race Festival like they have on Tobago?

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:36 - Jun 20 with 1273 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes, one of my best mates moved over there years ago and we went to visit him a few years back.

Fairly arid place, but the south coast is well-developed with a decent number of tourist hotels which have all the usual facilities around them.

Oranjestad is the capital and is pleasant enough.

There are loads of beaches, and the island is a (relatively) rich island by Caribbean standards thanks to the discovery of oil in the 70s, the knock-on effect is that there is virtually no unemployment / poverty there.

Tourists are mainly American and some Dutch, plus daily influxes of day-trippers from the enormous cruise ships that frequently dock.

North side of the island is worth exploring too, although the Natural Bridge collapsed and fell in the sea a few years ago.

Well worth a visit, your wife's done well to get flights - there's not that many direct flights to / from the UK, most people have to fly via Amsterdam or New York or Miami and then change.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 15:36]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:40 - Jun 20 with 1244 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:36 - Jun 20 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, one of my best mates moved over there years ago and we went to visit him a few years back.

Fairly arid place, but the south coast is well-developed with a decent number of tourist hotels which have all the usual facilities around them.

Oranjestad is the capital and is pleasant enough.

There are loads of beaches, and the island is a (relatively) rich island by Caribbean standards thanks to the discovery of oil in the 70s, the knock-on effect is that there is virtually no unemployment / poverty there.

Tourists are mainly American and some Dutch, plus daily influxes of day-trippers from the enormous cruise ships that frequently dock.

North side of the island is worth exploring too, although the Natural Bridge collapsed and fell in the sea a few years ago.

Well worth a visit, your wife's done well to get flights - there's not that many direct flights to / from the UK, most people have to fly via Amsterdam or New York or Miami and then change.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2019 15:36]

Thanks, great info, sounds like two weeks is plenty. Not sure if we will need a connecting flight to Schipol as she hasn't given me much detail (we are not married btw).

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:42 - Jun 20 with 1236 viewsITFC_Forever

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:40 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

Thanks, great info, sounds like two weeks is plenty. Not sure if we will need a connecting flight to Schipol as she hasn't given me much detail (we are not married btw).

Ah, sorry / well done .... delete as applicable.

Aruba is a very pleasant place for a holiday, so enjoy!

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:49 - Jun 20 with 1210 viewsSpruceMoose

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:35 - Jun 20 by WeWereZombies

Thanks, just after something else to do apart from loll on a beach, go to a bar and have a meal. Good walks for example, places to escape to if we have a holiday break up...

And is the highlight of the year the Goat Race Festival like they have on Tobago?

Hmm. I'll ask when I see him next. Admittedly, he seems the type to go loll on a beach, go to a bar, eat everything in sight and refuse to walk anywhere or do anything else, so the information may not be of much help!

But I will ask!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:58 - Jun 20 with 1188 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:49 - Jun 20 by SpruceMoose

Hmm. I'll ask when I see him next. Admittedly, he seems the type to go loll on a beach, go to a bar, eat everything in sight and refuse to walk anywhere or do anything else, so the information may not be of much help!

But I will ask!

I was in Caye Caulker, Belize where they do not allow cars ten years ago . Big trade in hiring golf buggies to visiting tourists and it is wrong of me to assume that it is just the nationals of your adopted home who hire the buggies but...

Anyway, I saw one well fed tourist pull up to a store and then reverse the buggy all of two feet to save on the walking distance across the veranda! On the plus side, it is great to see a well padded tourist trying to cope with the mule they have hired at Petra to avoid walking, one I saw was fully extended with his backside resting on thin air whilst his desperate paws just about held on to the faraway reins.

Anyone been to Aruba? on 15:59 - Jun 20 with 1181 viewsBLUEBEAT

It’s really fun replacing Aruba with AWOOGA at every opportunity

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Aruba? on 19:43 - Jun 20 with 1083 viewsWarkystache

It's great. There's LOADS to do once you're there...

Accommodation's a bit basic mind....so's the local dentist

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024