Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Bart, Jonas, Harrison 16:59 - Jun 20 with 3631 viewsCoastalblue

Looks like three out of the door and whilst we've had some good times with Bart after last season I can't say I'm that fussed about any of them moving on.
Truth be told I don't think there's anybody in the squad where it would upset me if they went, probably be sad to see Chambers go but not for footballing reasons, Judge would be annoying at this point, Dozzell would make me think of what might have been but honestly, not sure I'd miss anybody.

Actually that's not true, Bishop is probably the one that would upset me, if he looks like he could stay fit (a big if) then he does genuinely look an exciting player for us and a step up. Lankester too actually.

So I lied, there's two I would be bothered about, the rest? humph

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:02 - Jun 20 with 3601 viewschicoazul

I just hope we can start motoring on getting players in now, considering we need defenders wide players and another forward or two and pre-season starts Monday,

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:05 - Jun 20 with 3586 viewsParisBlue

Along with Dozzell and Lankester I'd be annoyed if Downes were to depart. A bit of growing up (physically and maturity wise) and he could be decent.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:06 - Jun 20 with 3574 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’ll make a loss on Harrison whilst they’ll be buying him using part of the £millions they’re getting from a player we sold to them for peanuts.

That says it all about our transfer ‘strategy’.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:07 - Jun 20 with 3569 viewschicoazul

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:05 - Jun 20 by ParisBlue

Along with Dozzell and Lankester I'd be annoyed if Downes were to depart. A bit of growing up (physically and maturity wise) and he could be decent.

Downes is a cracking player and will be our next multi-£m sale, I hope his name is first on the sheet next season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:15 - Jun 20 with 3528 viewsActionMan

Jackson and Roberts should be carted out next. Harrison, you couldn't fault his work rate but he was not particularly a good player for us at that level so no shock there.

My issue with Bart going to fund other transfers is Bart is more than good enough for this level and thus an advantage in a promotional race. The keepers we have signed, one was from a mid-table team at this level and the other is a youth team player, on paper we're hardly improving our chances in that area as it stands, whether Norwood will be better at this level than Harrison will also be interesting to see.

My view is we're making some of the same mistakes again, it costs money to get promoted,you don't need to blow the bank or do a Bolton but you do need to do more than what we're doing in my opinion. We've now seen three managers forced to sell the better players to replace and if you look at our last three seasons in the Championship, 2016-17 we were 4 points off relegation, in 2017-18 there was a marginal improvement but from the end of 2017 I think we won what three or four games? Then in 2018-19 we were relegated.

It's clear that the leadership has got this wrong to me, Sunderland will throw the kitchen sink at the league this season, Rotherham will be no push over either at this level and we've got the likes of Peterborough spending, Coventry and Blackpool recovering, Doncaster is a strong side - if we take this league lightly then we won't be promoted and that will cost even more money than simply investing now and that in part means retaining your best players.
So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:28 - Jun 20 with 3474 viewsDubtractor

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:06 - Jun 20 by Swansea_Blue

We’ll make a loss on Harrison whilst they’ll be buying him using part of the £millions they’re getting from a player we sold to them for peanuts.

Lament.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:32 - Jun 20 with 3458 viewsCoastalblue

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:28 - Jun 20 by Dubtractor

Lament.

One Small Day

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:35 - Jun 20 with 3424 viewsportmanking

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:15 - Jun 20 by ActionMan

Jackson and Roberts should be carted out next. Harrison, you couldn't fault his work rate but he was not particularly a good player for us at that level so no shock there.

My issue with Bart going to fund other transfers is Bart is more than good enough for this level and thus an advantage in a promotional race. The keepers we have signed, one was from a mid-table team at this level and the other is a youth team player, on paper we're hardly improving our chances in that area as it stands, whether Norwood will be better at this level than Harrison will also be interesting to see.

My view is we're making some of the same mistakes again, it costs money to get promoted,you don't need to blow the bank or do a Bolton but you do need to do more than what we're doing in my opinion. We've now seen three managers forced to sell the better players to replace and if you look at our last three seasons in the Championship, 2016-17 we were 4 points off relegation, in 2017-18 there was a marginal improvement but from the end of 2017 I think we won what three or four games? Then in 2018-19 we were relegated.

It's clear that the leadership has got this wrong to me, Sunderland will throw the kitchen sink at the league this season, Rotherham will be no push over either at this level and we've got the likes of Peterborough spending, Coventry and Blackpool recovering, Doncaster is a strong side - if we take this league lightly then we won't be promoted and that will cost even more money than simply investing now and that in part means retaining your best players.

I think you're missing the point. Bart is going so that we can afford to repel offers for other players that will make just as much of a difference on the pitch, if not more so. E.g. Bishop, Lankester, Judge, et. al.

Harrison's wage will merely be transferred to Conor Washington, which is a wise move IMO.
Login to get fewer ads

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 18:35 - Jun 20 with 3311 viewscatch74

Wonder how it will all balance out Pompey v ITFC. With the sell ons for Clarke and Webster, the money we got for Webster v money we paid for Webster etc etc.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 19:25 - Jun 20 with 3199 viewsWhymarkmariner

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:35 - Jun 20 by portmanking

I think you're missing the point. Bart is going so that we can afford to repel offers for other players that will make just as much of a difference on the pitch, if not more so. E.g. Bishop, Lankester, Judge, et. al.

Harrison's wage will merely be transferred to Conor Washington, which is a wise move IMO.

I get this regarding repelling bids for players by selling Bart, there's also his wages and the fact that he's not going to get any better and if we get say 1.5 million it's not bad. What i can't get my head around is where are all these targets that we heard of ? I know we are a few million in takings down through TV. But ST wise although cheaper they have sold over two thousand more than last season and we are also lead to believe, via MM that players wages will be 50 or 60% less than in the Championship and also there are several sell on clauses going on at the moment. If we are to compete in Division One as according to the bookies second favourites for promotion we need some good additions pronto.
So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:14 - Jun 21 with 2891 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 17:28 - Jun 20 by Dubtractor

Lament.

Who does he play for, and more importantly can he hit a barn door with a banjo?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:15 - Jun 21 with 2881 viewsBiGDonnie

I'd be fuming if we sold any of Dozzer, Bishop, Downes, Nydam or Lankester before a season in League 1.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:20 - Jun 21 with 2854 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 18:35 - Jun 20 by catch74

Wonder how it will all balance out Pompey v ITFC. With the sell ons for Clarke and Webster, the money we got for Webster v money we paid for Webster etc etc.

I got stuck at 5. Ullaa will be able to go a bit further.

Clarke's sell on is about a million isn't it? Not to be sneezed at. Although I wonder where we'd be now if we had a manager who could have brought these players through while they were with us. Not form a money perspective, but simply that there's every chance some of these would have been better options than the rubbish we had last season.

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:23 - Jun 21 with 2842 viewsblueislander

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:15 - Jun 21 by BiGDonnie

I'd be fuming if we sold any of Dozzer, Bishop, Downes, Nydam or Lankester before a season in League 1.

Absolutely agree. Lambert stated that these players will be featured this season, so let’s hope he sticks to that. I am excited by the thought of them , plus Woolfenden and Kenlock leading our charge to promotion.
So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:31 - Jun 21 with 2799 viewsflimflam

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:15 - Jun 21 by BiGDonnie

Add Wolfman to that list

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:32 - Jun 21 with 2790 viewsSteve_M

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:20 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

I got stuck at 5. Ullaa will be able to go a bit further.

Clarke's sell on is about a million isn't it? Not to be sneezed at. Although I wonder where we'd be now if we had a manager who could have brought these players through while they were with us. Not form a money perspective, but simply that there's every chance some of these would have been better options than the rubbish we had last season.

I think that the Webster - Clark deal is one that works out well all round, well it might have been had we not sold Webster as soon as anyone came in for him. When Bristol City sell him next Summer for £10m plus then we can feel aggrieved.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:43 - Jun 21 with 2757 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:32 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

I think that the Webster - Clark deal is one that works out well all round, well it might have been had we not sold Webster as soon as anyone came in for him. When Bristol City sell him next Summer for £10m plus then we can feel aggrieved.

I look at these things really simply from the point of view of the team. Who would we have been better with last season - Webster or Toto?

Webster wanted to go, but then I don't think we tried to keep him. The sale seemed to be made on financial grounds (probably under pressure to raise funds for Hurst's rebuilding project. As ME was quoted as saying at the time:
"I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven't let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad." That turned out well!

I'd like to think we could have kept these players and they could have grown with the team into something a bit more coherent than what we've had. We've had some good players - in an alternative universe they could have formed the core of a decent, tight knit group of players. But that would require a manager and more importantly an overriding club strategy to develop what we have rather than to try quick fixes with wholesale changes each window.

Of course, it's also likely that they needed to move from us to begin to achieve their potential. We're not exactly a place for placers to grow and flourish at the moment.

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:47 - Jun 21 with 2733 viewsIpswichKnight

Not that fussed about any of them leaving.

Bart's kicking is not up to the standard of modern keepers now. He is a good keeper but now you need to be comfortable on the ball and be able to pass it out and he can't do that ( mind not seen our new keeper who may also have the same problem ).
So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:54 - Jun 21 with 2690 viewsSteve_M

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:43 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

I look at these things really simply from the point of view of the team. Who would we have been better with last season - Webster or Toto?

Webster wanted to go, but then I don't think we tried to keep him. The sale seemed to be made on financial grounds (probably under pressure to raise funds for Hurst's rebuilding project. As ME was quoted as saying at the time:
"I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven't let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad." That turned out well!

I'd like to think we could have kept these players and they could have grown with the team into something a bit more coherent than what we've had. We've had some good players - in an alternative universe they could have formed the core of a decent, tight knit group of players. But that would require a manager and more importantly an overriding club strategy to develop what we have rather than to try quick fixes with wholesale changes each window.

Of course, it's also likely that they needed to move from us to begin to achieve their potential. We're not exactly a place for placers to grow and flourish at the moment.

Well quite. And yet again it shows the failure to ever have a coherent footballing strategy or structure at the club under Evans. We didn't seem to make any effort to keep Webster as Hurst clearly wasn't bothered and that despite only having one two central defenders at the start of the season (I know some criticise MM for not replacing Smith but it was surely right that was left to his successor).

Last Summer is a mess that could haunt us for years which, given we've never recovered from the failings of Summer 2001, is a cheering thought.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:56 - Jun 21 with 2679 viewsBiGDonnie

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:31 - Jun 21 by flimflam

Add Wolfman to that list

Yep.

I'm even quite keen to see how Kenlock and Emmanuel perform too.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 10:01 - Jun 21 with 2654 viewsRadlett_blue

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:54 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

Well quite. And yet again it shows the failure to ever have a coherent footballing strategy or structure at the club under Evans. We didn't seem to make any effort to keep Webster as Hurst clearly wasn't bothered and that despite only having one two central defenders at the start of the season (I know some criticise MM for not replacing Smith but it was surely right that was left to his successor).

Last Summer is a mess that could haunt us for years which, given we've never recovered from the failings of Summer 2001, is a cheering thought.

Lack of a proper footballing strategy is largely why we are now in the 3rd tier. While more short termism, Lambert's job is to assemble a team which can be more than competitive in this league. Is he now signing players who will fit into his preferred 4-3-3 system? While he inherited a mess and I don't expect a great start to the season, I hope to see after 10 games or so some signs of a settled team and a pattern of play.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 10:04 - Jun 21 with 2633 viewsbournemouthblue

Is that confirmed? Pretty disappointing if true

It's not as if they are short of a few bob

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 10:30 - Jun 21 with 2561 viewschicoazul

So Bart, Jonas, Harrison on 09:32 - Jun 21 by Steve_M

Webster will go this summer, and for more than that!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024