Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why have we just sold a £750k player 18:21 - Jun 21 with 6970 viewsbournemouthblue

to a rival for £300k under last year's fee?

Seems like a pretty bad bit of business to me, whether we wanted him gone or not

They're about to yield a decent kitty from the Clarke transfer too

Have Pompey factored that into the fee with the sell on fee coming our way?
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 18:23]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:23 - Jun 21 with 4299 viewshoppy

Or have they paid £100k more than they should've done for a £350k player that we paid £400k too much for last year?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:23 - Jun 21 with 4297 viewsjas0999

Evans is looking to recoup whatever he can.
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:26 - Jun 21 with 4264 viewsbournemouthblue

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:23 - Jun 21 by jas0999

Evans is looking to recoup whatever he can.

It seems a bit desperate at the moment

We'll sell Bart for well under his previous valuations also

We are likely to get a sell on from Mings potentially as well

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:28 - Jun 21 with 4241 viewsChocorange

Unwanted player by manager , needs to trim squad get his wages off the balance sheet.

Harrison did next to nothing last season ( albeit injured for most of it) so his value has dropped.

It may go some way to allowing a player that PL does want to come in.
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:29 - Jun 21 with 4235 viewsGeoffSentence

Because last year we paid over the odds for him.

See also Kayden Jackson.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:29 - Jun 21 with 4231 viewsxrayspecs

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:26 - Jun 21 by bournemouthblue

Simple economics.

We are nine million down on last seasons revenue.

Our bargaining position is dramatically weakened.

Not quite as bad as when we went into admin - it is not a fire sale - but along similar lines
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:33 - Jun 21 with 4188 viewsHerbivore

He's not worth what we paid for him so we've sold him for less than that, it's not rocket science.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:35 - Jun 21 with 4191 viewsActionMan

Selling Bart is a bigger insight to Evans level of ambition next season for me.

If we were serious about going straight back up we wouldn't be selling our best players like Bart, who are clearly a cut above this division and an advantage and replacing them with players from the mid-table of the same division is a gamble. Selling to league rivals has proven a big mistake time and time again for us, yet we still make the same mistakes year on year so it's obviously part of Evans plan to hopefully scrape the Playoffs and get promoted spending as little as possible, because thats worked so well for us so far hasn't it...

I despair.

All I can say is for Evans sake I hope it works because he won't get half as many renew if we're in this league next season and I don't care how many managers we go through now, the plan seems to remain the same. Sir Alex in his heyday couldn't make a winning situation with a Chairman like Evans in my opinion. The will to succeed is clearly not there.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 18:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:37 - Jun 21 with 4177 viewschristiand

I’m pleasantly surprised we managed to recoup £450,000 if I’m being honest. Like many of PH’s signing we paid over the odds.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:37 - Jun 21 with 4175 viewsbournemouthblue

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:29 - Jun 21 by xrayspecs

Simple economics.

We are nine million down on last seasons revenue.

Our bargaining position is dramatically weakened.

Not quite as bad as when we went into admin - it is not a fire sale - but along similar lines

Underselling players isn't the smartest option, whether in a lower League or not

I accept his injury record wasn't great, I don't buy the wages argument though because it can't of been on a massive wedge coming up from League One

Hopefully Lambert has a plan to reinvest these fees

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:38 - Jun 21 with 4172 viewsJ2BLUE

'We'll sell Bart for well under his previous valuations also'

You say that like we have any control over it. He wants to go, we can't afford his wages at this level and getting a fee is good business.

Lambert clearly didn't rate Harrison. If we can get a fee for him and bring in someone like Washington or Keane then it might be good business.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:41 - Jun 21 with 4144 viewsActionMan

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:38 - Jun 21 by J2BLUE

'We'll sell Bart for well under his previous valuations also'

You say that like we have any control over it. He wants to go, we can't afford his wages at this level and getting a fee is good business.

Lambert clearly didn't rate Harrison. If we can get a fee for him and bring in someone like Washington or Keane then it might be good business.

I am sure if we wanted to keep players, we could, we just don't. Sometimes that means paying an increased wage, Sheepshanks and Burley had to do it many times in the 90's to keep our best players until the silly money offers came in and then we reinvested it the few times we sold. I doubt we'll see Lambert get any significant amount of money to really go for promotion with, if we were serious about promotion we'd have kept our best player.
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:43 - Jun 21 with 4126 viewsxrayspecs

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:37 - Jun 21 by bournemouthblue

Underselling players isn't the smartest option, whether in a lower League or not

I accept his injury record wasn't great, I don't buy the wages argument though because it can't of been on a massive wedge coming up from League One

Hopefully Lambert has a plan to reinvest these fees

We have to comply with FFP ules too, which are linked to revenues. We need to cut our cloth accordingly.
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:43 - Jun 21 with 4129 viewssundaze

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:41 - Jun 21 by ActionMan

I am sure if we wanted to keep players, we could, we just don't. Sometimes that means paying an increased wage, Sheepshanks and Burley had to do it many times in the 90's to keep our best players until the silly money offers came in and then we reinvested it the few times we sold. I doubt we'll see Lambert get any significant amount of money to really go for promotion with, if we were serious about promotion we'd have kept our best player.

Was Harrison really our best player?
Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:44 - Jun 21 with 4111 viewsTractorWood

We paid too much for him and Kayden Jackson. Seems strange to sell him at the exact stage he will probably begin to be useful.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:45 - Jun 21 with 4106 viewsfactual_blue

The bad bit of business was paying as much for him as we did last season.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:47 - Jun 21 with 4089 viewsbournemouthblue

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:43 - Jun 21 by xrayspecs

We have to comply with FFP ules too, which are linked to revenues. We need to cut our cloth accordingly.

I'm not questioning that, it's the undervaluing of players which is my main gripe

This isn't the first time we have done it

We did it with both Webster and Waghorn last season as well

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:48 - Jun 21 with 4077 viewsJ2BLUE

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:41 - Jun 21 by ActionMan

There have been rumours Harrison is off for ages now. Clearly Lambert didn't fancy him.

As for Bart, he wants to leave. It's a very complicated one because he promised his dad he would play for Poland which he has but he may have ambitions to go to another tournament. If he wants to go we might as well get him off the books and get a fee for him. I never understand why people make judgements at this stage. IMO you can only begin to judge a window at the end of it.

If you are a childless couple renting a three bedroom house and you lose your job, maybe you need to rent a one bedroom flat for a while. I don't think Bart is going to make a massive difference on the field.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:51 - Jun 21 with 4060 viewsSwansea_Blue

Because our whole approach to developing the squad, including recruitment, has been disastrous over the last 12 months.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:55 - Jun 21 with 4029 viewsStokieBlue

Loads of complaining on here, quite unreasonably really.

Lambert clearly wants certainly players and not others. Harrison hasn't impressed him or he thinks he doesn't fit into his plans. Given this it's surely right he goes and the wages are freed up.

The price we paid isn't Lamberts fault so it's a totally spurious argument.

Let him do his business and complain in 3-6 months if it's needed.

SB
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 19:01]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:01 - Jun 21 with 3974 viewsTractorWood

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:55 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

Lambert clearly wants certainly players and not others. Harrison hasn't impressed him or he thinks he doesn't fit into his plans. Given this it's surely right he goes and the wages are freed up.

SB

Yes. Although the window for blaming Hurst for everything is sort of closing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:08 - Jun 21 with 3908 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 18:55 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

SB

We’d all like certain players rather than others, but there’s also an obvious need to cut our cloth. I don’t mind about this move especially, but it’s another little bit of evidence to suggest Lambert is limited in being able to get the most out of what he has. He seems to want to buy/loan his way out of trouble - that’s the impression i got last season with him bringing in players in positions we already had plenty of bodies.

That maybe unfair as all managers obviously look to bring in players they want, but just a feeling.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:13 - Jun 21 with 3872 viewsmonty_radio

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:01 - Jun 21 by TractorWood

Nicely put

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:15 - Jun 21 with 3865 viewsGeoffSentence

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:01 - Jun 21 by TractorWood

It is still reasonable to blame him for overpaying for the players he bought though. Can't blame anyone else for paying £2m for Harrison and Jackson.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:19 - Jun 21 with 3836 viewsStokieBlue

Why have we just sold a £750k player on 19:08 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

We’d all like certain players rather than others, but there’s also an obvious need to cut our cloth. I don’t mind about this move especially, but it’s another little bit of evidence to suggest Lambert is limited in being able to get the most out of what he has. He seems to want to buy/loan his way out of trouble - that’s the impression i got last season with him bringing in players in positions we already had plenty of bodies.

That maybe unfair as all managers obviously look to bring in players they want, but just a feeling.

I think that's grossly unfair.

"but it’s another little bit of evidence to suggest Lambert is limited in being able to get the most out of what he has"

Maybe the players aren't any good and he's already got the maximum out of them? You can't make Harrison into Messi through management.

"that’s the impression i got last season with him bringing in players in positions we already had plenty of bodies."

What if the bodies are clearly not good enough. If you have one good midfielder but 3 rubbish right-backs then it's entirely correct to bring in another right-back regardless of the number you already have rather than another midfielder.

You might be right but I'm going to stick with my original thought that's it's hugely unfair. If in 4 months we are rubbish and Lambert hasn't done the business then feel free to come on and have a pop at him and me.

SB
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 19:20]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024