Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is depressing 08:08 - Jun 22 with 3178 viewsHerbivore

The respective track records of Hunt and Johnson. It seems competence isn't really a requirement of being PM anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48663963

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48668311

The most worrying part is that the Tories have managed to achieve the impossible by pitting Boris against someone with possibly an even worse track record than him. Staggering.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2019 8:08]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is depressing on 08:15 - Jun 22 with 3158 viewswkj

I have a feeling Boris is probably seen as the most dispensable choice amoungst MPs. Rory Stewart and Sajid probably both anticipated being out of the running but are getting their names on the minds of there peers and party members for the post brexit leadership, a much less turbulent time one would assume. Whoever gets it now won't be in the role for that long, but need to do just enough to sate the will of the withdraw camp and deliver the withdrawal and to be in place as the one to blame if, probably when, the tories flounder at the next GE

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

This is depressing on 08:18 - Jun 22 with 3145 viewsHerbivore

This is depressing on 08:15 - Jun 22 by wkj

I have a feeling Boris is probably seen as the most dispensable choice amoungst MPs. Rory Stewart and Sajid probably both anticipated being out of the running but are getting their names on the minds of there peers and party members for the post brexit leadership, a much less turbulent time one would assume. Whoever gets it now won't be in the role for that long, but need to do just enough to sate the will of the withdraw camp and deliver the withdrawal and to be in place as the one to blame if, probably when, the tories flounder at the next GE

I think you give them too much credit. Boris, although he divides opinion, is popular with many Tory voters and especially with leavers. You can even see it on here. They see him as being the most likely candidate to prevent their annihilation at a future GE, despite most acknowledging that he's not remotely up to the job.

This is depressing on 08:18 - Jun 22 with 3143 viewsCoastalblue

If we accept that Brexit is likely to happen, and it seems to be heading that way, then it may not be a bad thing to get someone imcompetent in the role who will crash and burn over 12-15 mnths and then hopefully disapear into the wilderness.

I'm not sure either of the main parties have a credible candidate to run the country at the moment, and let's face it we're fecked for the next decade regardless of who's in charge.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is depressing on 08:27 - Jun 22 with 3115 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who's worse, Keane or Jewell, er I mean *unt or Johnson?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is depressing on 08:51 - Jun 22 with 3081 viewsBloomBlue

This is depressing on 08:18 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

I think you give them too much credit. Boris, although he divides opinion, is popular with many Tory voters and especially with leavers. You can even see it on here. They see him as being the most likely candidate to prevent their annihilation at a future GE, despite most acknowledging that he's not remotely up to the job.

And was very popular with Labour voters when London Mayor.
This is depressing on 08:57 - Jun 22 with 3075 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is depressing on 08:18 - Jun 22 by Coastalblue

If we accept that Brexit is likely to happen, and it seems to be heading that way, then it may not be a bad thing to get someone imcompetent in the role who will crash and burn over 12-15 mnths and then hopefully disapear into the wilderness.

I'm not sure either of the main parties have a credible candidate to run the country at the moment, and let's face it we're fecked for the next decade regardless of who's in charge.

The choice between Johnson and Corbyn at the next election will be a choice between what flavour of racism people are prepared to tolerate.

Do they vote for the incompetent racist or the racist incompetent?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is depressing on 08:57 - Jun 22 with 3073 viewsHerbivore

This is depressing on 08:51 - Jun 22 by BloomBlue

Was he?

This is depressing on 09:02 - Jun 22 with 3069 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is depressing on 08:57 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

Was he?

You can’t win in London without the support of people who normally vote labour. To do that twice suggests the op is correct.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

This is depressing on 09:14 - Jun 22 with 3034 viewsPJH

This is depressing on 08:57 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

The choice between Johnson and Corbyn at the next election will be a choice between what flavour of racism people are prepared to tolerate.

Do they vote for the incompetent racist or the racist incompetent?

Trump likes Johnson so maybe we could become an additional state (or four)of the USA.
This is depressing on 09:15 - Jun 22 with 3029 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

And even more depressing is the lack of opposition.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is depressing on 09:35 - Jun 22 with 3000 viewsPositivelyPortman

This is depressing on 08:51 - Jun 22 by BloomBlue

I need proof for that statement to stand.
You can’t just make things up.
Quoting Evening Standard or Daily Mail doesn’t count.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

This is depressing on 09:41 - Jun 22 with 2993 viewsSteve_M

This is depressing on 09:02 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

You can’t win in London without the support of people who normally vote labour. To do that twice suggests the op is correct.

Well, the second time Livingston's mask had slipped totally and he wasn't any sort of credible candidate.

A situation that is perhaps relevant now too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is depressing on 09:49 - Jun 22 with 2983 viewsGuthrum

This is depressing on 09:02 - Jun 22 by GlasgowBlue

Tho it's important to look at other context. In May 2008, the Labour Party (less than a year into Gordon Brown's premiership) were deeply unpopular, with Iraq hangover, rock-bottom poll ratings and defeats in all that year's elections. Northern Rock had just happened. Ken Livingstone has always been something of a divisive figure within the party, too (only four years before he had been readmitted after a period of suspension).

Johnson's campaign (run by Lynton Crosby) focussed on a particular mechanic, that of getting the vote out in more Conservative-inclined suburban areas, playing upon jealousy of inner London. Winning in some of those outer boroughs was enough to tilt the balance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is depressing on 09:50 - Jun 22 with 2979 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is depressing on 09:41 - Jun 22 by Steve_M

Well, the second time Livingston's mask had slipped totally and he wasn't any sort of credible candidate.

A situation that is perhaps relevant now too.

I agree. Johnson’s stock in London has fallen due to his Brexit stance but there is no denying that at the time he was able to reach out to people who normally vote Labour.

That’s why I think Johnson as leader will be such a backwards move as he is yesterday’s man.

Iron Lion Zion

This is depressing on 10:43 - Jun 22 with 2928 viewsBlueBadger

It really is a 'Hurst or Keane' choice.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is depressing on 13:26 - Jun 22 with 2852 viewsBlueBadger

This is depressing on 09:14 - Jun 22 by PJH

Trump likes Johnson so maybe we could become an additional state (or four)of the USA.

I don't think it's even that. He probably sees Boris as a useful thicko that he can screw in a trade deal.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

This is depressing on 13:36 - Jun 22 with 2837 viewsgazzer1999

This is depressing on 09:15 - Jun 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

And even more depressing is the lack of opposition.

Of course there is no oposition, Blair saw to that he made labour like the tories and Cameron the tories like labour. And before you say liberal they became a mixture of the two as well.
Thats why you end up with what we have today. Even if France with Macron they were just a populist party that started just before the last election and likely to be kicked out at the next with Le Penn becoming president.
This is depressing on 14:24 - Jun 22 with 2806 viewsfactual_blue

This is depressing on 10:43 - Jun 22 by BlueBadger

I see it more as 'Well, you've contracted typhus. But there is a cure. It involves you contracting cholera'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This is depressing on 14:27 - Jun 22 with 2801 viewsBlueBadger

This is depressing on 14:24 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

I see it more as 'Well, you've contracted typhus. But there is a cure. It involves you contracting cholera'.

Balls (n/t) by BlueBadger 20 Jun 2019 18:14
I'm going to be recommending we put a DNACPR order on the country.

This is depressing on 16:16 - Jun 22 with 2741 viewsGirthyguy

This is depressing on 10:43 - Jun 22 by BlueBadger

It's really depressing as it's exactly that scenario.
This is depressing on 16:25 - Jun 22 with 2730 viewsBlueBadger

This is depressing on 16:16 - Jun 22 by Girthyguy

It's really depressing as it's exactly that scenario.

You can even extend the metaphor because, like those two, idiots onhere will defend them to the death, regardless of how competent they actually are.

This is depressing on 16:44 - Jun 22 with 2713 viewsBloomBlue

This is depressing on 09:35 - Jun 22 by PositivelyPortman

I need proof for that statement to stand.
You can’t just make things up.
Quoting Evening Standard or Daily Mail doesn’t count.

London has always been a Labour stronghold he couldn't win twice without the support of Labour voters

I've lived in London for nearly 60 years and he was very popular. I'm not saying it's the same now but he was then the fact serious crime decreased when he was Mayor made him very popular with Londoners. Look at how much its increased since.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024