Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR solution 10:37 - Jun 24 with 1040 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Goal line technology is brilliant. It's a factual was or was not a goal decision, it's instant and it causes no delay at all.

The way VAR is currently set up though is insane. What is wrong with allowing the referee and assistants to do what they always used to do and in the event of a close offside decision letting play continue.

How often did assistants get it massively wrong? Sure there were a few over the course of the season, but generally they do an excellent job of getting anything but incredibly close calls right.

Let them rule the game and at the same time have one VAR official able to watch the match on several screens, one live, one 2.5 seconds behind, one 5 seconds behind.

They can watch the match and should they spot anything the ref misses, they have the opportunity to watch it twice in the next 5 seconds to see if there is something worth considering.

Likewise, the referee has the ability (in the case of a possible handball) to play on but to ask the VAR person to have a look at it and again within a few seconds they can decide or not.

It should be used for 'obvious' errors. If the other VAR official cannot see it looking from a different perspective or when the referee has made them aware of what to look for, then it clearly isn't obvious and the game should go on.

That's the way to do it. I am sure the technology would allow replays to be slowed down or zoomed in, if you needed to stop for 30 seconds and check, but again this should be immediately obvious from the first look and not take 5 minutes to go over from every angle and every speed.

That's the only way this will ever work without spoiling the game. Let the officials get on with it and allow a second referee to spot anything missed or to quickly check anything the ref couldn't see or thinks might have been close. Same with the assistants who can say 'onside, offside or can you check' and allow those helping the VAR ref to quickly pause the incident that's about to come up in a few second time to slow it down and allow the VAR official to quickly confirm.

All this technology and they are allowing the officials to delegate everything to a team of people that then need to agree.

Isn't it the case in Rugby where the ref just asks if there's anything to change his mind and then that's it?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

VAR solution on 10:42 - Jun 24 with 1018 viewsITFC_Forever

Goal-line technology is excellent.

VAR is a shambles.

We won't be seeing either in L1 though.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

VAR solution on 10:44 - Jun 24 with 1015 viewsSouperJim

Exactly this, it should be used to overturn big errors or clear margins, not over-analyse a tight decision to death. Give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and move on. Football should always be about entertainment, not overturning a goal long after the celebrations because a video replayed 20 times from multiple angles suggest there was a tiny shirt pull or somesuch.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

VAR solution on 11:04 - Jun 24 with 985 viewsBlue_Armee

VAR solution on 10:44 - Jun 24 by SouperJim

Exactly this, it should be used to overturn big errors or clear margins, not over-analyse a tight decision to death. Give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and move on. Football should always be about entertainment, not overturning a goal long after the celebrations because a video replayed 20 times from multiple angles suggest there was a tiny shirt pull or somesuch.

Goal line (sorted), Penalties and Red Cards, leave the rest alone.

Poll: Mexit or McStay? Not what you want but what you think will actually happen

VAR solution on 11:05 - Jun 24 with 976 viewsrickw

I agree, I would give them 30 seconds to overrule the referee if not the ref's decision stands.
Would England's second goal last night have been caught in time? I don't know.

In the other game yesterday France had a goal disallowed by VAR and I'm still not sure what the French player did wrong - nothing clear and obvious about that!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR solution on 11:07 - Jun 24 with 972 viewsIpswichKnight

The solution is close to what Cricket and hockey do, each team gets one review which they can use at any time during the half if they get the review wrong they lose it for the half.
VAR solution on 11:23 - Jun 24 with 943 viewsMookamoo

VAR solution on 11:07 - Jun 24 by IpswichKnight

The solution is close to what Cricket and hockey do, each team gets one review which they can use at any time during the half if they get the review wrong they lose it for the half.

They also need to learn from cricket's 'Umpire's Call' option in offsides. There has to a margin of error or get rid of assistant referees altogether and just use technology in major tournaments to adjudicate on offside. VAR can do it in realtime.

Then use the challenge system that is in most other sports that use replays.
VAR solution on 11:26 - Jun 24 with 931 viewsITFC_Forever

VAR solution on 11:23 - Jun 24 by Mookamoo

They also need to learn from cricket's 'Umpire's Call' option in offsides. There has to a margin of error or get rid of assistant referees altogether and just use technology in major tournaments to adjudicate on offside. VAR can do it in realtime.

Then use the challenge system that is in most other sports that use replays.

Umpire's call and 1 appeal per manager per half (which if you win, you keep) are excellent ideas that football could learn from through other sports.

Although this is football we are talking about, and there is nothing those that run the game hate more than being told / shown that their way isn't the best way and that there are better solutions.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

VAR solution on 11:35 - Jun 24 with 910 viewsMookamoo

VAR solution on 11:26 - Jun 24 by ITFC_Forever

Umpire's call and 1 appeal per manager per half (which if you win, you keep) are excellent ideas that football could learn from through other sports.

Although this is football we are talking about, and there is nothing those that run the game hate more than being told / shown that their way isn't the best way and that there are better solutions.

Agree - the pomposity and self importance of FIFA is why its not working. The NFL have been struggling with video replays for 10 years now and still have to tweak it every year, but at least they have gone through the process of involving the coaches.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR solution on 11:37 - Jun 24 with 905 viewsIpswichKnight

VAR solution on 11:26 - Jun 24 by ITFC_Forever

Agree with both on this. Maybe for a referee's call it needs to be no clear evidence to suggest that it was either right or wrong call, on-field decision would stand and no one loses a review.

The other way is to go down the rugby way and have another referee watch the game and just pipe up to say i've seen something I think you might have missed do you want to take a look.
VAR solution on 11:37 - Jun 24 with 905 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR solution on 11:35 - Jun 24 by Mookamoo

Agree - the pomposity and self importance of FIFA is why its not working. The NFL have been struggling with video replays for 10 years now and still have to tweak it every year, but at least they have gone through the process of involving the coaches.

Though, again American Football is a stop start game, rather like rugby. One of the best things about football is its relative continuity & VAR is ruining that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR solution on 11:42 - Jun 24 with 899 viewsPJH

VAR solution on 11:37 - Jun 24 by Radlett_blue

Though, again American Football is a stop start game, rather like rugby. One of the best things about football is its relative continuity & VAR is ruining that.

Yes, I think you maybe need to put "used to be" instead of "is".
I think football(as it was)has been dying for a while but VAR will certainly hasten that death.
VAR solution on 11:48 - Jun 24 with 882 viewsBent_double

VAR solution on 11:05 - Jun 24 by rickw

I agree, I would give them 30 seconds to overrule the referee if not the ref's decision stands.
Would England's second goal last night have been caught in time? I don't know.

In the other game yesterday France had a goal disallowed by VAR and I'm still not sure what the French player did wrong - nothing clear and obvious about that!

Englands goal was clearly onside from the first replay, so less than 10 secs imo - don't know why it took them the best part of 2 mins to overturn the offside.

The Brazil goalie was at fault for Frances disallowed goal, she seemed to pull-out of grasping the ball incase she got hurt - goal should have stood imo.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

VAR solution on 11:50 - Jun 24 with 873 viewshadleighboyblue

VAR solution on 11:37 - Jun 24 by IpswichKnight

Agree with both on this. Maybe for a referee's call it needs to be no clear evidence to suggest that it was either right or wrong call, on-field decision would stand and no one loses a review.

The other way is to go down the rugby way and have another referee watch the game and just pipe up to say i've seen something I think you might have missed do you want to take a look.

Agreed , it works really well in Rugby with the TMO .

Football has got it so wrong it's spoiling the matches .
VAR solution on 11:56 - Jun 24 with 870 viewslowhouseblue

much rather have a few errors than break up the game. and there are obviously still errors after var. as long as referees are honest - which they are - it doesn't matter if they get stuff wrong, it's part of the game. not knowing if there's been a goal or penalty until minutes later ruins the game for spectators.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

VAR solution on 12:00 - Jun 24 with 866 viewsMookamoo

VAR solution on 11:37 - Jun 24 by Radlett_blue

Football is now a stop-start game whether we like it or not. They need to learn how to stop-start it properly.
VAR solution on 12:42 - Jun 24 with 824 viewssoclopath

VAR solution on 12:00 - Jun 24 by Mookamoo

Football is now a stop-start game whether we like it or not. They need to learn how to stop-start it properly.

Had a 100+ years of human control,just pull the bloody plug out,there's always been controversy of ref's but nothing like this fun fare
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024