Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Max Hastings article on our PM elect... 22:11 - Jun 24 with 3123 viewsDubtractor

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minist

Not a lot in here is new, and Hastings views on Johnson are well documented, but it is a pretty damning takedown.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 22:17 - Jun 24 with 2836 viewsSpruceMoose

Savage and depressing.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 22:19 - Jun 24 with 2835 viewsvapour_trail

It reads like he’s been bottling that up for quite some time. Some good lines in there nonetheless.

The fact that we are handing Boris the PMs job is a matter of national embarrassment from which we shall not recover for some considerable time. It’s as if brexit wasn’t enough self flagellation.

Max Hastings time as editor of the London evening standard was the last time that was a paper worth reading. He genuinely welcomed voices from all parts of the political spectrum.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 22:23 - Jun 24 with 2823 viewsreusersfreekicks

Excellent portrayal of the charlatan in chief. A sad day for our country. What a cowboy
Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 07:37 - Jun 25 with 2708 viewsSteve_M

The blackmail threat to Christopher Bland is quite something, although this is a man who conspired with his friend to get a journalist beaten up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:01 - Jun 25 with 2676 viewsDanTheMan

It's a great article in the wrong newspaper. It'll just get ignored in The Guardian as a leftist hit piece of something, despite it being an opinion piece.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:10 - Jun 25 with 2654 viewsSteve_M

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:01 - Jun 25 by DanTheMan

It's a great article in the wrong newspaper. It'll just get ignored in The Guardian as a leftist hit piece of something, despite it being an opinion piece.

It's quite an indictment of Hastings and/or the papers owners (was it convicted fraudster Conrad Black back then?) that they continued to employ the lying charlatan too.

Interestingly, the rest of the press not cheerleading quite so much today.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:12 - Jun 25 with 2648 viewsballycastle

The messenger is the right man to be heard though, this will cost Boris.
Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:15 - Jun 25 with 2643 viewsHerbivore

You could sense some simmering rage in his BBC interview when Laura Kuenssberg dared to press him to actually answer questions and had the temerity to point out that his 'plans' aren't deliverable. He's totally unfit for office.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:15 - Jun 25 with 2643 viewsfooters

Always knew Max Hastings was a Marxist.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:18 - Jun 25 with 2632 viewsballycastle

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:15 - Jun 25 by footers

Cr4p anagram.
Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:29 - Jun 25 with 2606 viewsbluelagos

My thoughts reading it yesterday. Would be so more powerful if printed in the traditional Tory papers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:36 - Jun 25 with 2582 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:15 - Jun 25 by footers

A damn fine historical author.

Hastings, at least in the books i have read, is the most balanced of writers.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:55 - Jun 25 with 2549 viewsSwansea_Blue

All people need to do is believe in him for him to then become the greatest statesman we’ve ever had. Or something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 09:40 - Jun 25 with 2500 viewsRadlett_blue

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 08:15 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

You could sense some simmering rage in his BBC interview when Laura Kuenssberg dared to press him to actually answer questions and had the temerity to point out that his 'plans' aren't deliverable. He's totally unfit for office.

You may be right, but all that really matters is whether he can deliver the holy grail of an acceptable Brexit. I personally doubt he can, as the EU see no need to renegotiate as they have always been quietly confident that their intransigent stance will scupper Brexit, which is very much in their members' interest. I don't think Boris is brave enough to attempt the huge risk of a no-deal Brexit (and Parliament will block it anyway) so if he can't get a deal over the line he will be toast, followed by the massacre of his party at the next General Election. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:02 - Jun 25 with 2472 viewschicoazul

I'd say it's 50/50 on "Boris" quitting right now. Someone will have some good dirt on his various infidelities.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:20 - Jun 25 with 2454 viewsRadlett_blue

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:02 - Jun 25 by chicoazul

I'd say it's 50/50 on "Boris" quitting right now. Someone will have some good dirt on his various infidelities.

I think most of the population accept that politicians, like most people, are flawed characters. Didn't stop Clinton being a quite effective POTUS & didn't stop Trump being a hopeless POTUS.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:23 - Jun 25 with 2445 viewsballycastle

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 09:40 - Jun 25 by Radlett_blue

You may be right, but all that really matters is whether he can deliver the holy grail of an acceptable Brexit. I personally doubt he can, as the EU see no need to renegotiate as they have always been quietly confident that their intransigent stance will scupper Brexit, which is very much in their members' interest. I don't think Boris is brave enough to attempt the huge risk of a no-deal Brexit (and Parliament will block it anyway) so if he can't get a deal over the line he will be toast, followed by the massacre of his party at the next General Election. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

This scenario, Boris gets the leadership, calls a GE with a loose pact alongside the Brexit party and Farage, wins an increased majority, then he could push through a no deal Brexit.
Bang on Danners on 10:31 - Jun 25 with 2441 viewsDyland

Shame it's not in the Sun or the Times even.

But then, Boris is probably a Murdoch stooge, so...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:43 - Jun 25 with 2422 viewsGeoffSentence

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 07:37 - Jun 25 by Steve_M

The blackmail threat to Christopher Bland is quite something, although this is a man who conspired with his friend to get a journalist beaten up.

The journo didn't actually get beaten up did he? Bojo's friend asked for his help in arranging it, but I don't think the beating happened.

Corrrect me if I am wrong.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:54 - Jun 25 with 2403 viewsSwansea_Blue

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:43 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

The journo didn't actually get beaten up did he? Bojo's friend asked for his help in arranging it, but I don't think the beating happened.

Corrrect me if I am wrong.

Phew, that's alright then. For a minute I thought he was doing something wrong

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:08 - Jun 25 with 2380 viewsGeoffSentence

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 10:54 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

Phew, that's alright then. For a minute I thought he was doing something wrong

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of Bojo and his involvement in this is absolutely scandalous. But I do like the facts to be straight, if the plan wasn't executed and the journo didn't get beaten up then we should be clear about it.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:12 - Jun 25 with 2368 viewsSwansea_Blue

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:08 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of Bojo and his involvement in this is absolutely scandalous. But I do like the facts to be straight, if the plan wasn't executed and the journo didn't get beaten up then we should be clear about it.

Conspiring to get a journalist beaten up doesn't really improve matters much, but yes you're right it is a (minor imo) distinction. Quite right to be clear, as there's little enough of that going on these days.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:27 - Jun 25 with 2347 viewsSteve_M

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:08 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

I didn't state that he was, conspiring to commit a crime is not the same thing as committing that crime.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:45 - Jun 25 with 2325 viewsGeoffSentence

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:27 - Jun 25 by Steve_M

I didn't state that he was, conspiring to commit a crime is not the same thing as committing that crime.

" a man who conspired with his friend to get a journalist beaten up"

It may not have been your intention, but that reads as if he got a journo beaten up.

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:48 - Jun 25 with 2316 viewsGeoffSentence

Max Hastings article on our PM elect... on 11:12 - Jun 25 by Swansea_Blue

Conspiring to get a journalist beaten up doesn't really improve matters much, but yes you're right it is a (minor imo) distinction. Quite right to be clear, as there's little enough of that going on these days.

I don't think it is a minor distinction. Particularly not in this day and age when fake news abounds.

There is a big difference between getting a man beaten up and talking about getting a man beaten up. It really doesn't take very much for people to read this sort of thing and believe that Bojo actually got someone beaten up, when he didn't.

I hate this. I am defending Bojo, never thought that would happen.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024