Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. 08:07 - Jun 25 with 12330 viewsACP84

Today, I had an officer blow out because and I quote "It's raining"

Quick phone call later and he's on duty.

Anyone heard better?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:26 - Jun 25 with 2549 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:23 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Fair enough, and I don't disagree but I don't think having a kid makes you more important than someone that doesn't. Some people choose not to have kids for all the freedom that brings and have no desire to be part of the village raising someone else's.

I believe work is separate from family. Someone's childcare issues are not for me to solve. As I said earlier I would be flexible and swap shifts etc but on a long term ongoing basis childcare needs to be sorted without involving your colleagues IMO.

I appreciate it may seem unfair to you. I'm not a monster.

It's the employers problem to solve at the end of the day. Depending on business type, flexible working, remote working, sufficient staff levels, all those should be standard.

We don't really want a situation where having kids marginalises and hampers you in the workplace, but you're right, you shouldn't always have to pick up the tab for that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:28 - Jun 25 with 2540 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:26 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

I appreciate it may seem unfair to you. I'm not a monster.

It's the employers problem to solve at the end of the day. Depending on business type, flexible working, remote working, sufficient staff levels, all those should be standard.

We don't really want a situation where having kids marginalises and hampers you in the workplace, but you're right, you shouldn't always have to pick up the tab for that.

That's fair. You want to leave early for your kid's party and need me to stay an extra hour or two? Fine. Need to swap a shift? Fine. Need me to work every weekend while they work zero because they are lying about childcare? Not fine.

And they were lying. I got on well enough with them both for them to openly admit it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:30 - Jun 25 with 2534 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:28 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

That's fair. You want to leave early for your kid's party and need me to stay an extra hour or two? Fine. Need to swap a shift? Fine. Need me to work every weekend while they work zero because they are lying about childcare? Not fine.

And they were lying. I got on well enough with them both for them to openly admit it.

Lying is an insult to you and their employer.

I'd take my slipper to them.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:30 - Jun 25 with 2529 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:23 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Fair enough, and I don't disagree but I don't think having a kid makes you more important than someone that doesn't. Some people choose not to have kids for all the freedom that brings and have no desire to be part of the village raising someone else's.

I believe work is separate from family. Someone's childcare issues are not for me to solve. As I said earlier I would be flexible and swap shifts etc but on a long term ongoing basis childcare needs to be sorted without involving your colleagues IMO.

I kind of see where your coming from in terms of frustration, but there are parts of this post that are a but unsavoury sounding. I've been in the management possition and had a responsibility to accommodate parents as best I could within reasonable means. Doesn't mean I would take away promises given to other staff members, but I would allow shorter lunchbreaks for earlier finishes for parents during term time and the sort

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:33 - Jun 25 with 2515 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:30 - Jun 25 by wkj

I kind of see where your coming from in terms of frustration, but there are parts of this post that are a but unsavoury sounding. I've been in the management possition and had a responsibility to accommodate parents as best I could within reasonable means. Doesn't mean I would take away promises given to other staff members, but I would allow shorter lunchbreaks for earlier finishes for parents during term time and the sort

I disagree.

Could non parents take advantage of that arrangement or were they needed to make sure the office was staffed to its full hours?

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:45 - Jun 25 with 2490 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:33 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

I disagree.

Could non parents take advantage of that arrangement or were they needed to make sure the office was staffed to its full hours?

Didn't have any problems or concerns from anyone for that arrangement at all, they were all held accountable for work volume to the same standard. Also I was flexible with non parents all the same on an as needed basis if proof could be provided or if I knew there were train disruptions. But employers do have a degree of responsibility to provide working parents with reasonable accomodation

Crybaby

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:47 - Jun 25 with 2483 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:45 - Jun 25 by wkj

Didn't have any problems or concerns from anyone for that arrangement at all, they were all held accountable for work volume to the same standard. Also I was flexible with non parents all the same on an as needed basis if proof could be provided or if I knew there were train disruptions. But employers do have a degree of responsibility to provide working parents with reasonable accomodation

Interesting. If I ever return to working for an employer I will be sure to have a child and take up smoking before I go back

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:49 - Jun 25 with 2484 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:47 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Interesting. If I ever return to working for an employer I will be sure to have a child and take up smoking before I go back

Can't say much about smoking, but if you think your time off will be of a higher frequency and quality as a working parent you might be in for a disappointment

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:51 - Jun 25 with 2474 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:49 - Jun 25 by wkj

Can't say much about smoking, but if you think your time off will be of a higher frequency and quality as a working parent you might be in for a disappointment

I never said it would be. As a non parent I would have liked the same arrangement you were offering but apparently it isn't available.

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:53 - Jun 25 with 2474 viewsbrogansnose

I had a bloke who phoned in to say that his partner had had a miscarriage. I told him fine, don't come in and spend as much time with your missus as you need and gave them my sympathies and wished them well.

Turned out that someone had seen them both on Facething driving a new Mercedes and having a wonderful time, nothing like my partner and myself when it happened to us. they definately wern't grieving. Happens he told his mates to that he was going to swing a few days off with pay.

When he came back in to work I sacked him.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:54 - Jun 25 with 2463 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:53 - Jun 25 by brogansnose

I had a bloke who phoned in to say that his partner had had a miscarriage. I told him fine, don't come in and spend as much time with your missus as you need and gave them my sympathies and wished them well.

Turned out that someone had seen them both on Facething driving a new Mercedes and having a wonderful time, nothing like my partner and myself when it happened to us. they definately wern't grieving. Happens he told his mates to that he was going to swing a few days off with pay.

How can people be so stupid to risk their job for a few days? Then post the evidence online. Amazing.

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:55 - Jun 25 with 2465 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:53 - Jun 25 by brogansnose

I had something very similar occur in my old job too. That one is a real stinger to witness on so many levels

Crybaby

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:56 - Jun 25 with 2460 viewsfooters

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:47 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

I'd encourage you to get into smoking. Really takes the edge off a stressful day. And you get to outside whenever you like.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 19:02 - Jun 25 with 2444 viewsbrogansnose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:55 - Jun 25 by wkj

I had something very similar occur in my old job too. That one is a real stinger to witness on so many levels

Everybody else was pretty much disgusted with him including someone who's daughter has recently miscarried. I thought that it was a disgraceful thing to lie about.

Wasn't even a new Merc.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 19:05 - Jun 25 with 2437 viewsfooters

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 19:02 - Jun 25 by brogansnose

Everybody else was pretty much disgusted with him including someone who's daughter has recently miscarried. I thought that it was a disgraceful thing to lie about.

Wasn't even a new Merc.

That's fcking horrible. People will sink to those depths to pose with a bloody second-hand car?! Jesus wept.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:03 - Jun 25 with 2378 viewsstrikalite

A lad at work was denied time off because there were too many people off in his department for that week, but he said he'd already booked the flights for this stag do he was going on(stupidly!), boss wouldn't bend the rules for him, when the week came he phoned in sick, surprise surprise. He went on the stag do, didn't post any pictures anywhere but someone else from work saw him at the airport after the return flight, oh dear..

Sacked when he got back.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:15 - Jun 25 with 2367 viewseireblue

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:56 - Jun 25 by footers

I'd encourage you to get into smoking. Really takes the edge off a stressful day. And you get to outside whenever you like.

Best to smoke a proper cigar as well, nothing like popping out for a mid morning Cuaba Diademas, and getting back just in time for lunch.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:36 - Jun 25 with 2349 viewsFunge

I pulled a sicky the day (night) we played Southampton at the Dell (Stewart hattrick; Reuser hit the bar with a free kick from pretty much the halfway line etc etc).

Got into work the next day and got collared by my boss, knew immediately I'd been rumbled.

Took me into the meeting room, and told me he'd seen me on Sky, in the away end, celebrating Stewart's penalty. Basically asked me to give him a full rundown of the game (he was a Towun fan). And that was that.

He's still working at the same place, and is still, by all accounts, one of the nicest people in the organisation.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:45 - Jun 25 with 2329 viewsWe_Love_Bluey

Someone I know had a few days off with stress cos somebody had put a nasty comment about them on Twitter.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:49 - Jun 25 with 2318 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 21:45 - Jun 25 by We_Love_Bluey

Someone I know had a few days off with stress cos somebody had put a nasty comment about them on Twitter.

Depends what was said, by who and who saw it though surely?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 23:02 - Jun 25 with 2256 viewsChurchman

Quite right too!!!

What I hate is that people who take the p@## like that potentially make it tougher for those who genuinely need support because an employer / manager is naturally going to be more suspicious if they get burned once.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 08:20 - Jun 26 with 2185 viewsitfcjoe

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 11:42 - Jun 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I remember being genuinely aggrieved when there was heavy snow about 10 years back.

I worked 30 miles away and got to the office at 11am, two hours late to find that 8 people out of 15 were in.

Of the 8 that made it, 5 of us came the furthest distance to the office.

Of the 7 that didn't get in, 3 of them were in walking distance of the office, on a bus route, which was still running.

One used the excuse her car couldn't get up a hill near the cul de sac she lived. As I say, she lived on a bus route and it would have taken her 20 minutes to walk in those conditions.

Everyone that didn't bother got full pay. The ones that made it didn't even get to leave early when more snow was predicted. One of the few times I have been genuinely fuming at work.

My wife at the time worked in Clacton, and couldn't get into work and they had a policy where the staff could go to local branch (High Street bank).

She walked in 2-3 miles in the snow, barely anyone was there - 2 people didn't make it from a flat on the docks to the town centre

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 09:32 - Jun 26 with 2155 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:28 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Fair enough in your case as clearly they were taking the p*ss, however as a relatively new parent it is amazing how often I either have to leave work early or work from home due to him being unwell and sent home from or unable to go into nursery

I’m lucky enough that I can work from home when needed but if that wasn’t an option then that would all be time off, with nothing I could do about it. And given the choice of looking after a poorly 1 year old or being at work I know where I’d rather be!!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 09:33 - Jun 26 with 2155 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

On one of the bad snow days a few years ago, a female colleague who lived approx 10 minute walk from the office was unable to come in as she ‘only owned heels and it wouldn’t be safe to walk in in them’

EDIT: I’ve just realised I have my own snow p*ss take story too. Before I was able to work from home I used to commute from Stowmarket to Ipswich, and snow had fallen heavily on a Friday where I was due to head up to Middlesbrough after work and see a friend at Teesside uni. Before leaving for work I got word from a colleague that there had been a couple of accidents on the A14 and traffic was at a complete standstill. Text my boss and with no movement in over an hour he agreed I didn’t have to go in. Shortly after became aware that my mates who were also going up to Boro were in the same boat and that traffic was moving in the other direction, so decided to set out, and made our way several hours earlier than planned. Whilst strictly speaking it was explainable, the fact I was unable to travel 15-odd miles to work but make a 250 mile+ one to get sh*tfaced didn’t go down too well, funnily enough!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 9:41]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 09:39 - Jun 26 with 2152 viewsRadlett_blue

Many years ago, a work colleague of mine didn't show. It transpired that his girlfriend had informed him in the middle of the night that she was having contractions and going into labour, while he was blissfully unaware that she was pregnant.
He wasn't too bright.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024