Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another dangerous precedent 11:23 - Jun 25 with 1068 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/24/fifa-investigating-cameroon-wom

'It is understood that Fifa accepts mistakes do happen and the referee’s decisions to overrule VAR advice on Fran Kirby’s penalty appeal and a possible Takounda red card incident late in the game were the best ways to make certain the game came to a conclusion with both teams on the pitch'.

Effectively, England were denied a stone wall penalty and Cameroon escaped a clear red card, purely because of the behaviour of their players beforehand and worries that their players would lose the plot. Well, that's okay then!

They need the book thrown at them to send a message to other teams. Their behaviour was disgusting and when it is so bad that referees are deliberately not making calls against them that should be given and going against VAR because they are worried about how they will react ……

That late challenge was as clear a red card as you will ever see. Stamping on someone's ankle whilst pushing them over at the shoulder, when the ball was going out of play and you are 3-0 down. Absolutely shocking.

FIFA have to get this right. The players with that tackle, the elbow and the spitting all need retrospective bans, the Cameroon FA should be fined heavily and the manager charged with failing to control his players.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Another dangerous precedent on 11:28 - Jun 25 with 1023 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It will be interesting to see how top level referees deal with VAR in the Prem. I hope it doesnt replicate this world cup.

Apparently the officials in this world cup had no experience of VAR. Or high pressure environments. It was a bit unfair on them really.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another dangerous precedent on 11:31 - Jun 25 with 1011 viewsuefacup81

If decisions were taken with a view to keeping Cameroon happy, rather than enforcing the rules, that's absurd.

I must admit that as the game went on, I found myself hoping that the various VAR consultations would go against Cameroon just for the hilarity of it all.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Another dangerous precedent on 11:32 - Jun 25 with 1003 viewshomer_123

As I have said from the outset....VAR will ruin an already corrupt sport.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Another dangerous precedent on 11:37 - Jun 25 with 981 viewsOldsmoker

Another dangerous precedent on 11:28 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

It will be interesting to see how top level referees deal with VAR in the Prem. I hope it doesnt replicate this world cup.

Apparently the officials in this world cup had no experience of VAR. Or high pressure environments. It was a bit unfair on them really.

Are there big screens at all Premier League grounds?
I think a lot of the beef for the Cameroon players was that they saw an image on the big screen and reacted to that. The evidence before their eyes didn't support the decision and they were understandably upset.
Just don't show the VAR footage on the big screen as it only winds people up.

Edit: shocking spelling.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 11:38]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Another dangerous precedent on 11:38 - Jun 25 with 968 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Another dangerous precedent on 11:37 - Jun 25 by Oldsmoker

I think a lot of the beef for the Cameroon players was that they saw an image on the big screen and reacted to that. The evidence before their eyes didn't support the decision and they were understandably upset.

I seem to recall West Ham in the playoffs (2-2 draw) were showing replays after each incident and when Westlake should have had a clear pen they magically didn't show it.

Was the TV equivalent of the ball boys they briefed.

Another dangerous precedent on 11:42 - Jun 25 with 955 viewsOldsmoker

Another dangerous precedent on 11:38 - Jun 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I seem to recall West Ham in the playoffs (2-2 draw) were showing replays after each incident and when Westlake should have had a clear pen they magically didn't show it.

Was the TV equivalent of the ball boys they briefed.

Wasn't there a game last season where the big screen showed an incident and the "At Home" manager shouted at his staff to "get that off the screen".

Another dangerous precedent on 11:42 - Jun 25 with 950 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Another dangerous precedent on 11:42 - Jun 25 by Oldsmoker

Wasn't there a game last season where the big screen showed an incident and the "At Home" manager shouted at his staff to "get that off the screen".

Millwall v Everton wasn't it?

Think Harris wasn't keen on them showing a goal from a handball IIRC.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 11:43]

Another dangerous precedent on 11:45 - Jun 25 with 930 viewsOldsmoker

Another dangerous precedent on 11:42 - Jun 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Millwall v Everton wasn't it?

Think Harris wasn't keen on them showing a goal from a handball IIRC.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 11:43]

Thanks for taking the time Warky.
That's the incident I remember.

Login to get fewer ads

Another dangerous precedent on 11:47 - Jun 25 with 926 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another dangerous precedent on 11:37 - Jun 25 by Oldsmoker

Not sure, but based on what we have seen so far, I would be amazed if they get it right.

Hope the 'comfort blanket' mentality is removed. Need to get back to;

- only used to overrule clear and obvious errors.
- offside rule needs to change back to 'daylights' between players.
- VAR official or ref should only have a maximum 30 second to review. If they can't decide after that, then original decision stands.

Just my view, probably too sensible.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another dangerous precedent on 11:55 - Jun 25 with 891 viewsOldsmoker

Another dangerous precedent on 11:47 - Jun 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not sure, but based on what we have seen so far, I would be amazed if they get it right.

Hope the 'comfort blanket' mentality is removed. Need to get back to;

- only used to overrule clear and obvious errors.
- offside rule needs to change back to 'daylights' between players.
- VAR official or ref should only have a maximum 30 second to review. If they can't decide after that, then original decision stands.

Just my view, probably too sensible.

The 'daylight between players' should be re-adopted.
The Cameroon goal showed her ankle was offside but in no way was she seeking an advantage. When level, advantage should be given to the attacker used to be a rule - and their bodies were level.
The replay didn't clearly show when the ball was kicked as a player was obscuring the camera. If the kick was a split second earlier then the Cameroon player would have been onside.
At 2-1 it would have been a different game and one we might not have won.

Another dangerous precedent on 11:56 - Jun 25 with 876 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another dangerous precedent on 11:55 - Jun 25 by Oldsmoker

The 'daylight between players' should be re-adopted.
The Cameroon goal showed her ankle was offside but in no way was she seeking an advantage. When level, advantage should be given to the attacker used to be a rule - and their bodies were level.
The replay didn't clearly show when the ball was kicked as a player was obscuring the camera. If the kick was a split second earlier then the Cameroon player would have been onside.
At 2-1 it would have been a different game and one we might not have won.

Agreed.

Another dangerous precedent on 12:03 - Jun 25 with 839 viewsglasso

I think the worst thing is that the ref in that women's game seemed to shy away from making decisions in the knowledge that VAR was there, which is something I reckon will creep into ref's minds more and more.

That tackle near the end of the game... did she even give a foul? I feel like she saw it, though 'oh sh**, this could kick off' and just hid away until VAR came through to back her up.

If that happens, rather than them reffing as normal and having VAR there just in case, then the game is going to get stopped every 5 minutes while they wait for 10 minutes to sort it out
Another dangerous precedent on 12:04 - Jun 25 with 835 viewsEastTownBlue

Another dangerous precedent on 11:31 - Jun 25 by uefacup81

If decisions were taken with a view to keeping Cameroon happy, rather than enforcing the rules, that's absurd.

I must admit that as the game went on, I found myself hoping that the various VAR consultations would go against Cameroon just for the hilarity of it all.

If that awful challenge happened much earlier and not a few seconds before the end things could have escalated. That would not have been for the good of the game or player's safety.
Bizarre on 12:12 - Jun 25 with 809 viewsDyland

"... the best ways to make certain the game came to a conclusion with both teams on the pitch."

How patronising and pathetic. The skills and speed are not comparable between the men's and women's games but equality in professionalism shouldn't be hard to achieve.

Cameroon's behaviour was unacceptable and if they can't control themselves they shouldn't be taking part. Retrospective punishment required, especially for the unequivocal matter, the dangerous late tackle and red card.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024