Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How bizarre 11:05 - Jun 26 with 848 viewsDarth_Koont

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/26/denmarks-youngest-prime-minister-l

Countries who've had a long experience of social democracy, have a high standard of living and consistently come out at the top of any happiness index want even MORE of it!!?

That's insane. They should surely be taking a leaf out of our book and embracing the free market, growing inequality and right-wing populism.

Pronouns: He/Him

How bizarre on 11:13 - Jun 26 with 815 viewsSteve_M

But Denmark has, to a certain extent, taken on right wing populist ideas in regard to hostility to immigration. That the centre-left have won an election counter to that movement is, in my view, a good thing but let's not pretend any country is immune to populist rhetoric.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How bizarre on 11:17 - Jun 26 with 798 viewsDarth_Koont

How bizarre on 11:13 - Jun 26 by Steve_M

But Denmark has, to a certain extent, taken on right wing populist ideas in regard to hostility to immigration. That the centre-left have won an election counter to that movement is, in my view, a good thing but let's not pretend any country is immune to populist rhetoric.

Not immune no.

But Denmark is a small country that's only just experiencing immigration over the last generation or two. We've been a melting pot with significant immigration after the second world war. And even before that with movement of people from the home nations.

Why are we going more towards it now?

How bizarre on 11:30 - Jun 26 with 753 viewsSteve_M

How bizarre on 11:17 - Jun 26 by Darth_Koont

Not immune no.

But Denmark is a small country that's only just experiencing immigration over the last generation or two. We've been a melting pot with significant immigration after the second world war. And even before that with movement of people from the home nations.

Why are we going more towards it now?

Good question. I think there are only partial factors that add up to much of the overall answer but not sure anyone can draw a conclusive picture from anecdotal evidence but those factors include: the non recovery from the financial crisis a decade ago, the politically imposed 'austerity' that followed it, 30 years of tabloid hysteria, the refugee crisis caused by Assad's brutal bombing of his own country.

Also, is this country becoming more anti-immigration? Despite the stance taken by most of the media there is good empirical evidence to suggest that it has become more pro-immigration since the referendum. Perhaps, a result of people realising that they need to be more explicit in their views to counter the stridency of the right here. I can't find a link at the moment but Rob Ford of Manchester University has done work here in particular.

How bizarre on 11:36 - Jun 26 with 731 viewsGuthrum

How bizarre on 11:13 - Jun 26 by Steve_M

There is very strong skepticism in Denmark about the EU, as well. Largely driven by fear of a powerful and wealthy neighbour who has a history of invasion and annexation - Germany. That is why they have such strict rules about purchasing property (essentially, you're not allowed to unless a resident Danish citizen).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How bizarre on 11:37 - Jun 26 with 726 viewsDarth_Koont

How bizarre on 11:30 - Jun 26 by Steve_M

Good question. I think there are only partial factors that add up to much of the overall answer but not sure anyone can draw a conclusive picture from anecdotal evidence but those factors include: the non recovery from the financial crisis a decade ago, the politically imposed 'austerity' that followed it, 30 years of tabloid hysteria, the refugee crisis caused by Assad's brutal bombing of his own country.

Also, is this country becoming more anti-immigration? Despite the stance taken by most of the media there is good empirical evidence to suggest that it has become more pro-immigration since the referendum. Perhaps, a result of people realising that they need to be more explicit in their views to counter the stridency of the right here. I can't find a link at the moment but Rob Ford of Manchester University has done work here in particular.

Politically, yes, we're becoming more anti-immigration (and xenophobic if you want to lump in the EU blame game).

And maybe that's highlighting the problem with our FPTP system if it's not reflecting a general shift to a more pro-immigration stance. Instead, letting parties with as little as a third of the votes dictate the direction we're going in.

How bizarre on 11:43 - Jun 26 with 707 viewsSteve_M

How bizarre on 11:37 - Jun 26 by Darth_Koont

Politically, yes, we're becoming more anti-immigration (and xenophobic if you want to lump in the EU blame game).

And maybe that's highlighting the problem with our FPTP system if it's not reflecting a general shift to a more pro-immigration stance. Instead, letting parties with as little as a third of the votes dictate the direction we're going in.

I don't think politicians have caught up on this yet either. In the same way that Labour are ignoring the fact that their voters, even in Leave constituencies, are overwhelmingly pro-remain. Fallacies take hold and are hard to move on from.

Also, part of the left remains inherently hostile to both the EU and immigration and May's only genuine political concern seems to have been hostility to foreigners. It isn't just UKIP driving that stance.

How bizarre on 13:23 - Jun 26 with 654 viewsSteve_M

How bizarre on 11:37 - Jun 26 by Darth_Koont

Just seen this on twitter, I think it accurate here too:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024