Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip 12:39 - Jun 26 with 10087 viewsbontcho

That's a surprise to me. Suggests the plan was to sell Bart to get a few in? Or is PL pulling the wool over our eyes?

(Sorry if this was discussed yesterday, I missed that little quote in Phil's article yesterday.)

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:43 - Jun 26 with 5017 viewsBlueastheycome

We are such a joke club at the minute aren’t we.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:45 - Jun 26 with 5002 viewsitfcjoe

We look miles off, our defence is poor

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:47 - Jun 26 with 4988 viewsitfcbam

Do people really expect money to be spent without money coming in 1st??!!
or am I missing the 9mil drop in income
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:47 - Jun 26 with 4985 viewsSuperblue95

I’d say we need 5 more players but know that I’m going to be left disappointed

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:47 - Jun 26 with 4985 viewsDyland

The only thing we'll be challenging for if this is our squad going into the season, is staying in division 3.

Sure we'll be adding in attack and defence. I mean... surely... I mean, I hope...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:49 - Jun 26 with 4966 viewsKieran_Knows

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:45 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

Couldn't agree more. I know every manager/every club in the land say they want their business done early, but we was told we wanted ours done before Germany and with 10 days or so before we head out we've signed a mid-table League keeper, a decent scoring striker, been told theirs basically no money in the coffers and no new signings on the horizon.

What a time to be alive. Shambles.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:49 - Jun 26 with 4964 viewsSouperJim

I see the pre-season panic has already set in for some, even though we're only 2 days in...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:49 - Jun 26 with 4956 viewsbontcho

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:47 - Jun 26 by itfcbam

Do people really expect money to be spent without money coming in 1st??!!
or am I missing the 9mil drop in income

Quite a few players left at the end of contracts, end of loans so I expected there to be a little scope but may be if Bart stays there isn't.

Bulgarian penalty hero

Login to get fewer ads

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:53 - Jun 26 with 4930 viewsKieran_Knows

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:49 - Jun 26 by SouperJim

I see the pre-season panic has already set in for some, even though we're only 2 days in...

I do think there is a concern that we're putting all in our eggs in one basket with regards to the sh*t show of a squad from last season (which we seem to be keeping mostly together still) somehow turns in to a side that can challenge in League 1, plus several youngsters make the step up as their doesn't seem to be many more signings come through the door (of which the 3 we've made, 1 is a keeper from a mid-table League 1 side from last year, the other is a keeper for the under 23 squad and the other is a decent scoring striker from League 2). Doesn't exactly set the pulses racing, does it?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:00 - Jun 26 with 4906 viewsGuthrum

I think one difficulty with this German camp is that it's being seen as a polishing of a finished article, rather than the early stages of a process to set up and organise the new team for next season.

While it might be lovely to have everything ready to go at the end of June, that's not the way it works in the real world. At all clubs, players and staff have only just returned to work after the summer holidays. Every manager is assessing his men, trying out what works, seeing who does or doesn't fit in and where there might still be gaps. Players, particularly the younger ones, will have changed and developed since early May. Some will have become ready to step up and fulfil roles which are needed. Some will go the other way, or not be prepared to buy into tactical plans.

There is stuill quite a long way to go between next week and the beginning of the season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:03 - Jun 26 with 4872 viewsEdmundo

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:00 - Jun 26 by Guthrum

I think one difficulty with this German camp is that it's being seen as a polishing of a finished article, rather than the early stages of a process to set up and organise the new team for next season.

While it might be lovely to have everything ready to go at the end of June, that's not the way it works in the real world. At all clubs, players and staff have only just returned to work after the summer holidays. Every manager is assessing his men, trying out what works, seeing who does or doesn't fit in and where there might still be gaps. Players, particularly the younger ones, will have changed and developed since early May. Some will have become ready to step up and fulfil roles which are needed. Some will go the other way, or not be prepared to buy into tactical plans.

There is stuill quite a long way to go between next week and the beginning of the season.

Agree. And remember there's 4 days to go before a ton of players are suddenly out of contract. PL is canny - he'll be tapping them up.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

sshhh you, I want to have a moan (n/t) on 13:03 - Jun 26 with 4871 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:04 - Jun 26 with 4862 viewshomer_123

Sorry Guthers but I read this 'polishing of a finished article' as 'polishing of a turd'.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:09 - Jun 26 with 4846 viewsbontcho

But weren't we supposed to be doing a lot of this in the second half of last season? I'm not saying I disagree with you but I thought we were supposed to be ahead of other clubs because we could experiment for the last 10 games of last season. I also got the impression PL thought Germany was really important - although I guess we're not likely to make many changes from this point anyway.

p.s. I reckon we'll sign Keane. PL knew about his injury situation yesterday which suggests they're in contact.

Bulgarian penalty hero

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:10 - Jun 26 with 4835 viewsitfcjoe

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:03 - Jun 26 by Edmundo

Agree. And remember there's 4 days to go before a ton of players are suddenly out of contract. PL is canny - he'll be tapping them up.

Any player out of contract in 4 days is already available - when do you think Holy and Norwoods contracts expired?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:23 - Jun 26 with 4779 viewsGuthrum

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:09 - Jun 26 by bontcho

But weren't we supposed to be doing a lot of this in the second half of last season? I'm not saying I disagree with you but I thought we were supposed to be ahead of other clubs because we could experiment for the last 10 games of last season. I also got the impression PL thought Germany was really important - although I guess we're not likely to make many changes from this point anyway.

p.s. I reckon we'll sign Keane. PL knew about his injury situation yesterday which suggests they're in contact.

Germany is vitally important - as a developmental camp where things can be tried, players instructed and systems refined. It provides the base upon which to build our preparation and working up for the new season.

Experimenting with games at the end of a failing Champ season is of limited use. Standards and styles of play are different. Several of the players we might be using were still out on loan, we hadn't signed Norwood. To avoid bad defeats against strong opposition, we had to use loan players who were due to leave. It gives a bit of a head start in deciding which of your existing players on expiring contracts you may want to hang on to. But beyond that, not much.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:26 - Jun 26 with 4755 viewsxrayspecs

Where is that quote?

He said something about the squad of players at training going to Germany but I read this in the context of him not expecting players to be sold unless something crazy happened.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:27 - Jun 26 with 4742 viewsKieran_Knows

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:26 - Jun 26 by xrayspecs

Where is that quote?

He said something about the squad of players at training going to Germany but I read this in the context of him not expecting players to be sold unless something crazy happened.

He says anyone who was out there training, from youngsters who were on the periphery last season such as Tristan Nydam or Corrie Ndaba - although Barry Cotter and Aaron Drinan were with the development squad - to those who were on loan like Danny Rowe or Jordan Roberts, have a chance of being in his team on the opening day and he isn’t anticipating any additions prior to the Germany trip.

“What you see here at the minute are the lads who will come with me to Germany, and the two lads that are not here [James Norwood and Alan Judge].

"At this moment, unless something really crazy happens before we go to Germany, then most of these lads will come.”
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 13:28]

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:28 - Jun 26 with 4731 viewstextbackup

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:49 - Jun 26 by SouperJim

we've been here so many times before though haven't we. people calling others bed wetters, etc. but it never changes, ME never changes.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:35 - Jun 26 with 4703 viewsxrayspecs

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:27 - Jun 26 by Kieran_Knows

He says anyone who was out there training, from youngsters who were on the periphery last season such as Tristan Nydam or Corrie Ndaba - although Barry Cotter and Aaron Drinan were with the development squad - to those who were on loan like Danny Rowe or Jordan Roberts, have a chance of being in his team on the opening day and he isn’t anticipating any additions prior to the Germany trip.

“What you see here at the minute are the lads who will come with me to Germany, and the two lads that are not here [James Norwood and Alan Judge].

"At this moment, unless something really crazy happens before we go to Germany, then most of these lads will come.”
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 13:28]

I would have thought this was more relevant....Also quoted yesterday

Regarding current bids both for incoming and outgoing players, he continued: “There’s a bit of both. There’s always some that happen and some that don’t happen, and that’s the same with lads going out and lads coming in.
PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:42 - Jun 26 with 4656 viewsIpswich_Crazy

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:43 - Jun 26 by Blueastheycome

We are such a joke club at the minute aren’t we.

you're a joke at the moment aren't you!

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:02 - Jun 26 with 4586 viewsbontcho

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 13:26 - Jun 26 by xrayspecs

Where is that quote?

“What you see here at the minute are the lads who will come with me to Germany, and the two lads that are not here [James Norwood and Alan Judge]."

Right near the end of this article

Lambert: It's Great to Be Back for Pre-Season 25th Jun 2019 14:41
Town boss Paul Lambert is pleased to be back at Playford Road working with the squad ahead of the Blues’ League One campaign. 20

Bulgarian penalty hero

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:36 - Jun 26 with 4499 viewsclive_baker

Bart's on big money, relatively speaking. Moving him on will allow for an addition or 2, I'm sure of that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I'll make you moan luv xx (n/t) on 14:45 - Jun 26 with 4461 viewsfooters

sshhh you, I want to have a moan (n/t) on 13:03 - Jun 26 by Dyland

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 14:51 - Jun 26 with 4433 viewsclive_baker

PL not anticipating additions before Germany trip on 12:45 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

Miles off? Who do you think in L1 has a materially better squad than us?

I don't think we're miles off, and Germany is a good opportunity for Lambert and his staff to really take a look at what we've got before we go out and bring players in. Not the proven players, but the likes of Woolfenden, Donacien, Emmanuel, Rowe etc, and I'm all for giving them a chance. However you cut it, we are still a forward short though.

Emmanuel has got promoted out of L1 before. Rowe by all accounts was great for Lincoln in L2 and I've liked what I've seen of him. Woolfenden looked excellent in his few appearances previously and impressed out on loan. These are the players that we really need to show some faith in.

Then you add in getting the likes of Bishop and Huws a full pre-season under their belt, Dozzell, Lankester and Downes a year older and wiser. Quality and experience in Skuse, Bart (currently), Judge, Edwards, Norwood, Chambers. If we bought in a striker on loan to see us through until Sears is back in contention, and 1 experience head defensively, I would say we're there or thereabouts and have an enviable squad at this level.

As I've said before, I still maintain the biggest barrier we face is mindset and belief, rather than ability. Huge job for Lambert in that regard.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024