Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- 09:32 - Jun 29 with 10441 viewssparks

but it kept me up last night with the noise... So I watched bits.

Dont get "Stormzy" at all. Modern rap music is so uninspired. The rhythms in the lyrics are monotonous and repetitive- and it seemed very hard to make out any of the lyrics.

Just noticed, however, that Wu Tang are playing today. Blimey. Maybe I should have gone.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:43 - Jun 29 with 4556 viewsStokieBlue

I watched a bit but it's not my cup of tea really.

Guardian were suitably impressed of course and rolled out the five stars for him:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/29/stormzy-glastonbury-review-pyramid

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:47 - Jun 29 with 4528 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:43 - Jun 29 by StokieBlue

Guardian were suitably impressed of course and rolled out the five stars for him:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/29/stormzy-glastonbury-review-pyramid

SB

Are you suggesting that they are pretending to be cool and doing a bit of virtue signalling?!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:50 - Jun 29 with 4519 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SB

"The last x years of my life have led to this moment right now "too..........profound man!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:51 - Jun 29 with 4516 viewsfooters

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:47 - Jun 29 by sparks

Are you suggesting that they are pretending to be cool and doing a bit of virtue signalling?!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:58 - Jun 29 with 4483 viewsSteve_M

Interpol were excellent yesterday, well worth a look on iPlayer later.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:02 - Jun 29 with 4473 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

SB

Also 5 stars from the Telegraph

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:13 - Jun 29 with 4443 viewsGuthrum

I tend to feel that some styles of rapping nowadays (e.g. grime) are less a form of music than of performance poetry. The "tune", such as it is, being of marginal relevance compared with the lyrics and the beat existing just to keep up the tempo.

Plus the sound quality with a live, outdoor, main stage gig at Glastonbury is hardly going to bring out the best in tight lyrical content, delivered fast and incorporating much strongly accented local patois.

The best large festival performers tend to be bands with big, simple, anthemic tunes, incorporating singalong choruses - simply because they suit the acoustic setup better and are easier for the musically omniverous crowd to interact with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:18 - Jun 29 with 4416 viewshoppy

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:13 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

I tend to feel that some styles of rapping nowadays (e.g. grime) are less a form of music than of performance poetry. The "tune", such as it is, being of marginal relevance compared with the lyrics and the beat existing just to keep up the tempo.

Plus the sound quality with a live, outdoor, main stage gig at Glastonbury is hardly going to bring out the best in tight lyrical content, delivered fast and incorporating much strongly accented local patois.

The best large festival performers tend to be bands with big, simple, anthemic tunes, incorporating singalong choruses - simply because they suit the acoustic setup better and are easier for the musically omniverous crowd to interact with.

I read that in the style of Johnny the shoe shine guy...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:30 - Jun 29 with 4382 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:13 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

I am conscious that I may be guilty of just getting old and liking what I grew up with.

However- it really does seem to be a thing that the rhythmic nuance which I still love in good rap music, is largely gone. Mr Stormzy, from what I saw, delivered lyrics with attitude and a nice timbre- but it was dadadadadaa dada da da daaa. Repeat ad nauseum.

Compared to Wu Tang (for instance) the difference is enormous.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:32 - Jun 29 with 4383 viewsGuthrum

SB

Did a job a couple of years ago where I ended up hearing a lot of late-night Friday and Saturday radio while driving home for the weekend. Accidentally gravitated to the Charlie Sloth rap show on Radio 1 (think there was jazz on R2), stopped there through fascination at the theatre of it and ended up listening. It's still not my taste in music, or what I would put on for choice (nor do I have a handle on urban culture), but it did give me an appreciation of the lyrical dexterity - sometimes improvised on the spot - of the performers and the forms/structures of the pieces.

Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of Early Medieval ("Dark Age") poetry, which is very similar in principle. I mean Egil Skallagrimsson composing a boasting drapa in praise of his deeds is not that different to a Stormzy rant about his status in the South London scene. Both make use of standard forms, "inside" language and cliche phrases within a familiar framework, incorporating repetition to drive home themes and draw in the listener.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:36 - Jun 29 with 4354 viewsfooters

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:32 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

Did a job a couple of years ago where I ended up hearing a lot of late-night Friday and Saturday radio while driving home for the weekend. Accidentally gravitated to the Charlie Sloth rap show on Radio 1 (think there was jazz on R2), stopped there through fascination at the theatre of it and ended up listening. It's still not my taste in music, or what I would put on for choice (nor do I have a handle on urban culture), but it did give me an appreciation of the lyrical dexterity - sometimes improvised on the spot - of the performers and the forms/structures of the pieces.

Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of Early Medieval ("Dark Age") poetry, which is very similar in principle. I mean Egil Skallagrimsson composing a boasting drapa in praise of his deeds is not that different to a Stormzy rant about his status in the South London scene. Both make use of standard forms, "inside" language and cliche phrases within a familiar framework, incorporating repetition to drive home themes and draw in the listener.

I make you right, Guthers. Very few forms of music treat lyricism as seriously as rap, when done right. Some uses of the English language are really innovative and demanding of both the producer and listener. This is in contrast to American mumble rap which could be any old sh1t so long as the beat's good.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:39 - Jun 29 with 4337 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:36 - Jun 29 by footers

I make you right, Guthers. Very few forms of music treat lyricism as seriously as rap, when done right. Some uses of the English language are really innovative and demanding of both the producer and listener. This is in contrast to American mumble rap which could be any old sh1t so long as the beat's good.

Public Enemy made poetry back in the day.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:50 - Jun 29 with 4312 viewsgiant_stow

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:39 - Jun 29 by sparks

They were no De La Soul, poor things.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:54 - Jun 29 with 4302 viewsGuthrum

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:30 - Jun 29 by sparks

I am conscious that I may be guilty of just getting old and liking what I grew up with.

However- it really does seem to be a thing that the rhythmic nuance which I still love in good rap music, is largely gone. Mr Stormzy, from what I saw, delivered lyrics with attitude and a nice timbre- but it was dadadadadaa dada da da daaa. Repeat ad nauseum.

Compared to Wu Tang (for instance) the difference is enormous.

I think that's a deliberate thing, the performance stripped down to a stark minimalism. Throws further emphasis on the lyrical performance.

It can also be likened to the reaction which sent punk, with its turn to basic three-chord thrash and grittier themes, crunching into the more elaborate and melodic rock of the mid 1970s.

Possibly also a byproduct of an era where taking extensive samples to create a tune results in litigation, or at the very least accusations of plagiarism by other performers.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:57 - Jun 29 with 4284 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:54 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

I think that's a deliberate thing, the performance stripped down to a stark minimalism. Throws further emphasis on the lyrical performance.

It can also be likened to the reaction which sent punk, with its turn to basic three-chord thrash and grittier themes, crunching into the more elaborate and melodic rock of the mid 1970s.

Possibly also a byproduct of an era where taking extensive samples to create a tune results in litigation, or at the very least accusations of plagiarism by other performers.

My point is that the lack of rhythmic nuance in the lyrics and delivery actually detracts.

Wu Tang for instance, constantly throw surprises in the delivery, which emphasises lyrics and keeps things interesting. Every time you think you can predict the rhythm of the next line there is a shift or subtle change. For me, that was the joy of good rap music. And indeed, of much good poetry.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 11:11]

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:04 - Jun 29 with 4255 viewsfergalsharkey

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:54 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

The VERY least.

Poll: Cook out?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:08 - Jun 29 with 4228 viewsGuthrum

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:39 - Jun 29 by sparks

Yes, they did. But I don't see their early stuff is that much different to Stormzy.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:12 - Jun 29 with 4220 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:08 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

Yes, they did. But I don't see their early stuff is that much different to Stormzy.

First album was a bit formulaic lyrically. Second, the rhythms in the lyrics were full of nuance.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:29 - Jun 29 with 4174 viewsStokieBlue

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:02 - Jun 29 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Also 5 stars from the Telegraph

I'm sure it was excellent for many people.

Footers video is typically spot on. We can always turn to the Simpson for profound knowledge.

SB

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:32 - Jun 29 with 4150 viewsStokieBlue

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:47 - Jun 29 by sparks

Not really although I can see it would read like that with my early morning wording.

I think you've covered it well in this thread actually. I can also understand many people would have loved it.

SB
[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 11:34]

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:32 - Jun 29 with 4151 viewsbrogansnose

I listen to quite a lot of this sort of stuff because the young lads at work are into it and so is my boy to a certain extent. I can take it or leave it and there are other music styles that I pursue, but, quite a lot of it is alright once you 'tune in ' and can get some of the lyrics ( its at this point when I turn into my father and say ' but I can't understand what he's saying ) especially when you keep in mind that the likes of myself are not really his target audience. After watching the Kanye and Jay Z sets at glastonbury in previous years I thought the bloke put on a damn good set and show and far surpassed the Americans. He also comes over as a really decent bloke.
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:33 - Jun 29 with 4143 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:29 - Jun 29 by StokieBlue

I'm sure it was excellent for many people.

Footers video is typically spot on. We can always turn to the Simpson for profound knowledge.

SB

Im sure it was excellent for many people. I think that ears and minds are trained to appreciate certain things though- and they are probably missing out on nuance. Though perhaps it is there, and I simply cant hear it.

Entertaining to see the broadsheets claiming its a 5 star performance though. The chances of broadsheet writers actually being sufficiently knowledgeable and into that genre strike me as limited...

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:35 - Jun 29 with 4139 viewsmos

Well it’s all subjective.

His target audience is probably not people like yourself, and you can’t really say his Music is ‘uninspired’, some rappers especially a man called ‘Dave’ have an incredible amount of imaginitivity and in fact do create some great wordplay in their songs.

But I presume you will refuse to accept that, and won’t give them a chance, because you are stubborn.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:37 - Jun 29 with 4117 viewsfooters

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:35 - Jun 29 by mos

Well it’s all subjective.

His target audience is probably not people like yourself, and you can’t really say his Music is ‘uninspired’, some rappers especially a man called ‘Dave’ have an incredible amount of imaginitivity and in fact do create some great wordplay in their songs.

But I presume you will refuse to accept that, and won’t give them a chance, because you are stubborn.

To add that Dave is/was about 17 or something when he was writing lyrics like that. Doubt there are many better out there at the moment, regardless of genre.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:39 - Jun 29 with 4099 viewsLankHenners

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:51 - Jun 29 by footers

"Am I so out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong."

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024