Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ankle instability 09:26 - Jul 1 with 1954 viewsRobTheMonk

Anyone experienced it? My right ankle has started to get worse over the past few months. GP first or straight to a sports physio/therapist?
Ankle instability on 09:33 - Jul 1 with 1932 viewsFixed_It

Definitely TWTD first. Then seek professional advice.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 9:34]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Ankle instability on 09:40 - Jul 1 with 1907 viewsSteve_M

Start with the physio, unless you ahve health insurance and need a GP referral for physiotherapy.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ankle instability on 09:48 - Jul 1 with 1890 viewsfactual_blue

Ankle instability on 09:33 - Jul 1 by Fixed_It

Definitely TWTD first. Then seek professional advice.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 9:34]

TWTD's advice is obviously 'amputation'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ankle instability on 10:26 - Jul 1 with 1839 viewsGooders7592

I broke my left ankle 3 years ago, before that I have torn my ligaments in both ankles. I never had physio for the torn ligaments, but was told when I broke my ankle that the NHS should have referred myself both times for physo.

I can't run for more than 15/20 minutes due to acheing and struggle walking long distances for the same reason. I turned 27 in May.

My suggestion would be go to a private physio, I should have when I first tore my ligaments when I was 21 and suffering now. It'll be quicker than the GP/NHS/Physio route
Ankle instability on 11:13 - Jul 1 with 1779 viewsMedwayTractor

I would try chiropractic or osteopathy rather than physiotherapy. My experience is that GPs and physiotherapists look at the symptoms and target treatment there, whereas chiropractors (osteopaths as well, I believe) try to identify the cause of the problem and target this for treatment.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Ankle instability on 11:14 - Jul 1 with 1777 viewsRobTheMonk

Ankle instability on 10:26 - Jul 1 by Gooders7592

I broke my left ankle 3 years ago, before that I have torn my ligaments in both ankles. I never had physio for the torn ligaments, but was told when I broke my ankle that the NHS should have referred myself both times for physo.

I can't run for more than 15/20 minutes due to acheing and struggle walking long distances for the same reason. I turned 27 in May.

My suggestion would be go to a private physio, I should have when I first tore my ligaments when I was 21 and suffering now. It'll be quicker than the GP/NHS/Physio route

Thanks for this. There's a physio down the road from me (didn't even know it was there until just now!).
Ankle instability on 11:15 - Jul 1 with 1774 viewsRobTheMonk

Ankle instability on 11:13 - Jul 1 by MedwayTractor

I would try chiropractic or osteopathy rather than physiotherapy. My experience is that GPs and physiotherapists look at the symptoms and target treatment there, whereas chiropractors (osteopaths as well, I believe) try to identify the cause of the problem and target this for treatment.

Thanks for the advice.
Ankle instability on 11:36 - Jul 1 with 1754 viewsSteve_M

Ankle instability on 11:15 - Jul 1 by RobTheMonk

Thanks for the advice.

It's not good advice, any competent physio will look at the cause of a problem and not just the symptoms.

Login to get fewer ads

Ankle instability on 11:55 - Jul 1 with 1726 viewsGooders7592

Ankle instability on 11:14 - Jul 1 by RobTheMonk

Thanks for this. There's a physio down the road from me (didn't even know it was there until just now!).

Definitely worth a visit. They should know after one session whether it's something they can look into or it requires more medical expertise.
Ankle instability on 16:16 - Jul 1 with 1635 viewsGeoffSentence

Ankle instability on 11:15 - Jul 1 by RobTheMonk

Thanks for the advice.

Also bear in mind that Chiropractic is not real medicine, it is considered to be a complimentary and alternative medicine. Often considered quackery or at best, placebo.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ankle instability on 21:03 - Jul 1 with 1591 viewsitfc_bucks

I use an aircast a60 brace. It's brilliant.
Ankle instability on 21:08 - Jul 1 with 1585 viewsFreddies_Ears

If you're in Ipswich, Matt Most at David Lloyd is superb. Don't need to be a member there to see him.
Ankle instability on 21:28 - Jul 1 with 1573 viewsSteve_M

Ankle instability on 21:03 - Jul 1 by itfc_bucks

I use an aircast a60 brace. It's brilliant.

They are indeed. When I had surgery on my ankle it made a massive difference to the ease of moving around, and protecting the ankle.

Ankle instability on 21:29 - Jul 1 with 1573 viewsLeoMuff

Ankle instability on 11:13 - Jul 1 by MedwayTractor

Well I think you have totally got that Ars@ about face, Chiropractic in my experience is just click click £40, absolutely no attempt to address the root cause, whereas physio will definatly look for the root problem area, which unfortunately most people don’t want to hear if it involves say strengthening the core or stability muscles.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Ankle instability on 22:38 - Jul 1 with 1536 viewsRyorry

Re the physio v. alternative medicine (osteopath etc) debate -

The *qualified* practitioners of Acupressure (also called Shiatsu) *first* do a standard 3-year NHS Physiotherapy degree, and only then are allowed to do the 2-year course in Acupressure to qualify in that.

A qualified acupressure practitioner was the only person out of dozens - NHS physio, osteopaths, chiropracters etc - who actually had any effect in helping to relieve my lower back pain (which is due to a congenital condition).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ankle instability on 22:42 - Jul 1 with 1532 viewssparks

Ankle instability on 11:36 - Jul 1 by Steve_M

It's not good advice, any competent physio will look at the cause of a problem and not just the symptoms.

And are properly medically qualified to administer treatment based in science. ..

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Ankle instability on 22:44 - Jul 1 with 1530 viewsRyorry

Ankle instability on 22:42 - Jul 1 by sparks

And are properly medically qualified to administer treatment based in science. ..

So are Acupressure practitioners - see my post just above.

Ankle instability on 22:51 - Jul 1 with 1525 viewsLeoMuff

Ankle instability on 22:38 - Jul 1 by Ryorry

Re the physio v. alternative medicine (osteopath etc) debate -

The *qualified* practitioners of Acupressure (also called Shiatsu) *first* do a standard 3-year NHS Physiotherapy degree, and only then are allowed to do the 2-year course in Acupressure to qualify in that.

A qualified acupressure practitioner was the only person out of dozens - NHS physio, osteopaths, chiropracters etc - who actually had any effect in helping to relieve my lower back pain (which is due to a congenital condition).

Even a cursory search seemed to show you need no qualification to do an acupressure course, and there is no scientific research behind it.

The only Muff in Town.

Ankle instability on 22:52 - Jul 1 with 1521 viewsRyorry

Ankle instability on 22:51 - Jul 1 by LeoMuff

Even a cursory search seemed to show you need no qualification to do an acupressure course, and there is no scientific research behind it.

Not so.

Ankle instability on 22:54 - Jul 1 with 1517 viewsLeoMuff

Ankle instability on 22:52 - Jul 1 by Ryorry

Not so.

Says whom, there are many websites offering this “qualification” for about £100-200

The only Muff in Town.

Ankle instability on 23:05 - Jul 1 with 1508 viewsRyorry

Ankle instability on 22:54 - Jul 1 by LeoMuff

Says whom, there are many websites offering this “qualification” for about £100-200

Well if you will go googling instead of looking for people properly registered and qualified with the official body ...

Ankle instability on 07:00 - Jul 2 with 1435 viewsLeoMuff

Ankle instability on 23:05 - Jul 1 by Ryorry

Well if you will go googling instead of looking for people properly registered and qualified with the official body ...

and who are the official body for acupressure and shiatsu ?

The only Muff in Town.

Ankle instability on 18:32 - Jul 2 with 1365 viewsMedwayTractor

Ankle instability on 21:29 - Jul 1 by LeoMuff

Well I think you have totally got that Ars@ about face, Chiropractic in my experience is just click click £40, absolutely no attempt to address the root cause, whereas physio will definatly look for the root problem area, which unfortunately most people don’t want to hear if it involves say strengthening the core or stability muscles.

My own experiences over nearly 35 years with injuries including a slipped disc, torn knee ligaments and a dislocated collarbone tell me that I am right, but if physio works for you, then so be it. The physiotherapist made my knee worse and it took 18 months for the NHS to get round to operating, having insisted on physio to avoid paying for a scan to save their budget, so much for patient care.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024