Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government spending 11:55 - Jul 1 with 1910 viewsBigManBlue

So far I make it that we'll be massively investing in the following in case of a no-deal Brexit;

social services
education
"decisive" increases in the defence budget
"great" infrastructure opportunities, even if we have to start borriwng heavily
a fund for left-behind communities
bail-outs to farming and fishing

All the while;

slashing corporation tax
slashing business rates
cutting tax for high earners
cutting tax for low earners

Have I missed anything? It looks like all the rain this summer has done wonders for the magic money tree. Of course, nothing as heinous as a small sop to youngsters by offering to write off some student debt they'd never pay, but still it makes you wonder about "fiscal responsibility"...

Edit - yes, this has been done to death. It just really boils my p*ss that people who've spent ten years telling me that austerity was for my own good are now pretending there are pots of gold just waiting to be spent.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 11:57]

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Government spending on 12:20 - Jul 1 with 1848 views26_Paz

In the event of a no deal Brexit we would not be paying the £39 billion divorce bill ... one would assume this would be used to fund the things you've mentioned.

The Paz Man

Government spending on 12:29 - Jul 1 with 1824 viewsfooters

Government spending on 12:20 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

In the event of a no deal Brexit we would not be paying the £39 billion divorce bill ... one would assume this would be used to fund the things you've mentioned.

One would assume that 39bn wouldn't go halfway to funding all that. So how is the shortfall made up?

More napkin maths from the brexiteers.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Government spending on 12:32 - Jul 1 with 1809 views26_Paz

Government spending on 12:29 - Jul 1 by footers

One would assume that 39bn wouldn't go halfway to funding all that. So how is the shortfall made up?

We've had higher than expected tax takes for the past couple of years. Despite the Brexit clusterf@ck the economy has been doing OK, its been well documented that the time to ease off austerity is just about here.
I honetely can't see the issue here, all I see is someone who wants to see increases in public spending moaning that somebody has pledged to increase public spending.

The Paz Man

Government spending on 12:36 - Jul 1 with 1799 viewsStokieBlue

It's all rather irrelevant what they are saying isn't it?

There is no public vote and no manifesto to attempt to hold them to, it's just whoever can make the best glittery promises to the party members.

Doesn't mean any of it will be implemented.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Government spending on 12:37 - Jul 1 with 1798 viewsBigManBlue

Government spending on 12:32 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

We've had higher than expected tax takes for the past couple of years. Despite the Brexit clusterf@ck the economy has been doing OK, its been well documented that the time to ease off austerity is just about here.
I honetely can't see the issue here, all I see is someone who wants to see increases in public spending moaning that somebody has pledged to increase public spending.

Not sure I actually moaned about wanting spending to increase. I’m moaning about the fact that neither of the two people who will be the next PM are being honest about what we can afford to do with the public purse.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Government spending on 12:40 - Jul 1 with 1767 viewsStokieBlue

Government spending on 12:37 - Jul 1 by BigManBlue

Not sure I actually moaned about wanting spending to increase. I’m moaning about the fact that neither of the two people who will be the next PM are being honest about what we can afford to do with the public purse.

To be fair all the parties are doing that though. The "costings" from the last election by Labour was unrealistic as well.

I agree on the Tories though, they do seem to be making a lot of promises without any actual economics to back it up.

SB

Government spending on 12:40 - Jul 1 with 1764 views26_Paz

Government spending on 12:37 - Jul 1 by BigManBlue

I don't see why they'd make it up ... if they're trying to impress members of the Tory party promising to throw money around like drunken sailors is not going to help them! Tory members get off on lower spending (trust me, I am one ...)

The Paz Man

Government spending on 12:45 - Jul 1 with 1738 viewsClapham_Junction

The EU would potentially chase us through courts for it, so our prestige could reach that of Argentina's when their navy ships were being impounded when docking overseas.

Plus the EU have said they wouldn't sign a trade deal with us until it's settled.
Login to get fewer ads

Government spending on 12:45 - Jul 1 with 1733 viewschicoazul

Government spending on 12:40 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

I don't see why they'd make it up ... if they're trying to impress members of the Tory party promising to throw money around like drunken sailors is not going to help them! Tory members get off on lower spending (trust me, I am one ...)

It's because both of them know an election is down the line in Oct/Nov time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Government spending on 12:48 - Jul 1 with 1718 views26_Paz

Government spending on 12:45 - Jul 1 by Clapham_Junction

The EU would potentially chase us through courts for it, so our prestige could reach that of Argentina's when their navy ships were being impounded when docking overseas.

Plus the EU have said they wouldn't sign a trade deal with us until it's settled.

No one will impound our ships anywhere ... the Royal Navy isn't what is was but its not going to lose any sleep at the thought of any sea power the EU has to offer.
The whole point of a no deal is we wont have a trade deal so why would them refusing to sign anything bother anyone

The Paz Man

Government spending on 12:49 - Jul 1 with 1706 viewsDarth_Koont

Maybe the penny is dropping for the Tories that if they always spend more money than Labour anyway they might as well buy some votes with it, rather than just funneling it to their mates' companies.

The fact that it will help the country and the people they've failed is probably just incidental.

Pronouns: He/Him

Government spending on 12:51 - Jul 1 with 1708 viewsStokieBlue

Government spending on 12:48 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

No one will impound our ships anywhere ... the Royal Navy isn't what is was but its not going to lose any sleep at the thought of any sea power the EU has to offer.
The whole point of a no deal is we wont have a trade deal so why would them refusing to sign anything bother anyone

Listen to yourself! You sound like Boris on steroids.

You are literally advocating attacking EU members if they did impound a ship which they would be legally allowed to do if the courts deemed the payment was due.

Possibly the stupidest post I've read on here since the debacle a few weeks ago.

SB

Government spending on 12:54 - Jul 1 with 1687 views26_Paz

Government spending on 12:51 - Jul 1 by StokieBlue

You are literally advocating attacking EU members if they did impound a ship which they would be legally allowed to do if the courts deemed the payment was due.

Possibly the stupidest post I've read on here since the debacle a few weeks ago.

SB

Impounding a ship would be an attack on the UK, we would merely be defending ourselves / our interests.
What court are you talking about? Remember in this scenario we are no longer in the EU so will not be bound by the rulings of any EU court ...

The Paz Man

Government spending on 12:55 - Jul 1 with 1677 viewsDanTheMan

Government spending on 12:51 - Jul 1 by StokieBlue

SB

Yeah but Rule Britannia or something.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Government spending on 12:55 - Jul 1 with 1676 viewsClapham_Junction

Government spending on 12:54 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

Impounding a ship would be an attack on the UK, we would merely be defending ourselves / our interests.
What court are you talking about? Remember in this scenario we are no longer in the EU so will not be bound by the rulings of any EU court ...

The Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Government spending on 12:57 - Jul 1 with 1672 viewslowhouseblue

the tories always planned to have a big fiscal expansion in the second half of this parliament. they knew that they couldn't fight another austerity election after the shambles in 2017. what's being said in the leadership fight probably won't actually happen, but public spending was always going to rise before the next election.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Government spending on 13:01 - Jul 1 with 1646 viewsStokieBlue

Government spending on 12:54 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln, possibly.

You don't seem to understand what international matters work. It's nothing to do with the EU courts. You are literally advocating gunboat diplomacy, it's not 1819 you realise?

"Impounding a ship would be an attack on the UK, we would merely be defending ourselves / our interests. "

What happens after you've done that and it escalates?

I stick by my first assumption. Stupidest post on here in ages.

SB

Government spending on 13:04 - Jul 1 with 1630 views26_Paz

Government spending on 13:01 - Jul 1 by StokieBlue

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln, possibly.

You don't seem to understand what international matters work. It's nothing to do with the EU courts. You are literally advocating gunboat diplomacy, it's not 1819 you realise?

"Impounding a ship would be an attack on the UK, we would merely be defending ourselves / our interests. "

What happens after you've done that and it escalates?

I stick by my first assumption. Stupidest post on here in ages.

SB

I can guarantee you that no EU member state has the balls to impound British shipping, just simply wont happen and to try and pretend that it will is far more stupid than anything I've posted.

The Paz Man

Government spending on 13:04 - Jul 1 with 1628 viewsGuthrum

£39bn is peanuts in the scale of government expenditure. Less than three months running costs for the DWP.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Government spending on 13:06 - Jul 1 with 1617 viewsStokieBlue

Government spending on 13:04 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

I can guarantee you that no EU member state has the balls to impound British shipping, just simply wont happen and to try and pretend that it will is far more stupid than anything I've posted.

You live on a different brane where it's still the 19th century.

SB

Government spending on 13:07 - Jul 1 with 1613 viewsHARRY10

err no, tht is just plain silly - even for a brexiter

Default on payments and the UK's credit rating takes a massive hit. Meaning the money the country needs to borrow on the open market costs more ie higher interest rates

Throw in the costs of fighting the legal battle through international courts and the UK would be billions out of pocket... yearly.

As to 'no deal' brexit that has about as much chance as us walking out of the Football League so that we can set up games with Real Madrid, Man Utd, Milan, PSG etc

I will bet my house that the UK will still be in the EU at the start of 2020. It would be my house but as soon as I try to put anything like a £1000 down the bet is not accepted.

I wonder why.
Government spending on 13:10 - Jul 1 with 1580 viewsFtnfwest

Government spending on 12:29 - Jul 1 by footers

This is actually about the only good thing about May's deal. If we stay in the EU we pay about double this for the commitments previously signed up to.
Government spending on 13:10 - Jul 1 with 1579 viewsStokieBlue

Government spending on 13:07 - Jul 1 by HARRY10

err no, tht is just plain silly - even for a brexiter

Default on payments and the UK's credit rating takes a massive hit. Meaning the money the country needs to borrow on the open market costs more ie higher interest rates

Throw in the costs of fighting the legal battle through international courts and the UK would be billions out of pocket... yearly.

As to 'no deal' brexit that has about as much chance as us walking out of the Football League so that we can set up games with Real Madrid, Man Utd, Milan, PSG etc

I will bet my house that the UK will still be in the EU at the start of 2020. It would be my house but as soon as I try to put anything like a £1000 down the bet is not accepted.

I wonder why.

Whilst I agree with the gist of your post I don't think failure to pay that bill would be deemed a credit event by ISDA.

Credit rating more likely to take a hit from the GDP loss of being outside the EU trading block. We would also likely need to issue more debt after leaving at the lower credit rating which will be more expensive.

It's just more stuff that hasn't been taken into account by the Brexiteers.

SB

Government spending on 13:16 - Jul 1 with 1555 viewsGuthrum

Government spending on 12:32 - Jul 1 by 26_Paz

Those surpluses will be more than wiped out by the promised tax cuts, before we even start to think about increased spending.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Government spending on 14:45 - Jul 1 with 1472 viewsSwansea_Blue

May's given them both cuttings off her magic DUP money tree.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024