Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2019 cricket World Cup 20:04 - Jul 1 with 2023 viewschristiand

Do you see it as a success so far? If you had to give ONE step for improvement to the ICC for the next tournament in India in 2023, what would it be?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:10 - Jul 1 with 2014 viewsAce_High1

Make it shorter, format is too long. Needs to start and finish within a month.
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:11 - Jul 1 with 2011 viewsFtnfwest

Go back to having more than ten teams. There’s been some good games none the less but the lower ranked sides would then have the chance of playing each other a bit more to get a win and some momentum, There will always be some sort of super 6 or super 8 or whatever so they can make money out of it but overall just change the format to say 4 groups of 4, super 8, semis, final. Would be the same number of games as now because you wouldn’t play whichever team qualified with you from the group in the super 8.
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:37 - Jul 1 with 1976 viewschristiand

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:10 - Jul 1 by Ace_High1

Got to say, I personally like this format. The cream rises to the top and you know that the 4 best teams will qualify for the semi final as they've played every competing nation. Perhaps as a compromise for 2023, two groups of 6? This then allows a couple of the lesser nations to qualify, but doesn't dilute the overall quality of the competition.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:40]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:49 - Jul 1 with 1932 viewssparks

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:37 - Jul 1 by christiand

Got to say, I personally like this format. The cream rises to the top and you know that the 4 best teams will qualify for the semi final as they've played every competing nation. Perhaps as a compromise for 2023, two groups of 6? This then allows a couple of the lesser nations to qualify, but doesn't dilute the overall quality of the competition.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 20:40]

It is a bit long as a format.

And we need reserve days in this climate.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:53 - Jul 1 with 1926 viewsgainsboroughblue

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:49 - Jul 1 by sparks

It is a bit long as a format.

And we need reserve days in this climate.

Three or four reserve days last week!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:59 - Jul 1 with 1912 viewsEastTownBlue

The 2007 World Cup in the West Indies seemed to go on for far too long. Despite the ICC keep saying they will shorten the tournament it never seems to happen.
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:59 - Jul 1 with 1917 viewsitfcjoe

More teams, even if it is 2 groups of 7 and a similar amount of games.

More than 1 game on a day to speed it up, and obviously not an icc problem but for some to be on terrestrial tv

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:59 - Jul 1 with 1910 viewsstrikalite

Bit of segregation?

Login to get fewer ads

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:13 - Jul 1 with 1886 viewsCoastalblue

I like the format, I like the idea of all the teams playing each other and I'm not going to lie if it meant cricket several days a week every week I'd be happy for it to be longer.

The weather is the biggest factor here along with ticket availability, I wonder if the could have moved a couple of higher profile games to bigger non cricket stadiums. I know it would have meant issues with pitches but I believe they looked at London Stadium, England v Australia or India v Pakistan with a much bigger capacity ground would have been great.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:40 - Jul 1 with 1852 viewsGuthrum

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 20:59 - Jul 1 by itfcjoe

More teams, even if it is 2 groups of 7 and a similar amount of games.

More than 1 game on a day to speed it up, and obviously not an icc problem but for some to be on terrestrial tv

Pretty much my thoughts also. Having Afghanistan as the only genuine minnow (albeit they can give some of the better teams a run for their money), feels a little unbalanced. Adding Ireland and Zimbabwe, for example, would have given a more even contest for them, spread the major competition experience around a bit wider and increased the chances of an upset for the big boys.

The length of the competition does not bother me - all the more cricket to listen to! A few extra fixtures will not hurt in terms of people being able to go and watch and thus more revenue, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:45 - Jul 1 with 1838 viewsFtnfwest

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:13 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

I like the format, I like the idea of all the teams playing each other and I'm not going to lie if it meant cricket several days a week every week I'd be happy for it to be longer.

The weather is the biggest factor here along with ticket availability, I wonder if the could have moved a couple of higher profile games to bigger non cricket stadiums. I know it would have meant issues with pitches but I believe they looked at London Stadium, England v Australia or India v Pakistan with a much bigger capacity ground would have been great.

I must admit I thought beforehand that each team would play one day/night game but there hasn’t been any
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:54 - Jul 1 with 1830 viewsCoastalblue

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:45 - Jul 1 by Ftnfwest

I must admit I thought beforehand that each team would play one day/night game but there hasn’t been any

I think NZ have three or four, and England none? Agree it does seem a bit odd, assume there's a reason for it.

The worry with night games is that it can make the toss too much of an advantage.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:59 - Jul 1 with 1829 viewsSteve_M

Every. Bloody. Time.

The contrast with the two week burst of the Champions Trophy is stark. For all of the arguments about where is on tv it lacks the sense of constancy of a great tournament.

The Women's football WC makes that even more obvious this time round I think, although that's not at the stage of three or four matches a day that makes the start of the men's version so good.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 22:35 - Jul 1 with 1784 viewscaught-in-limbo

I love the fact that all teams play each other. If anything the whole championship is not long enough.

My only gripe is the abandoned games. Think it's really tough that teams split the points without having some sort of contest between them.

If the weather's not good enough for cricket then the umpires should decide that what the teams could do instead.

Wet out field - kabaddi
on and off drizzle/ bad light - tug o' war
steady rain - a bake off
deluge - kerplunk

I don't mind, but they have to have some sort of contest.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 22:38 - Jul 1 with 1784 viewshatch

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 21:13 - Jul 1 by Coastalblue

My thoughts exactly. Although there’s something nice about it all being played in cricket venues and I’ve enjoyed the quaint Tauntons and Bristols being involved.

I’m already worried for next week when the daily cricket stops. I’m going to have to start watching Essex or Surrey County Championship again (not the worst thing at the moment as an Essex fan). Hopefully the Ashes will be with us soon and there’s t20 in the meantime, although I’m going off that in favour of a full day’s cricket.
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 22:59 - Jul 1 with 1767 viewsvapour_trail

I don’t think it’s too long, and I like the format where everyone plays everyone. Have really enjoyed it.

Back up days for abandoned games. How many have we lost, 4 or 5?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 23:22 - Jul 1 with 1749 viewsMelford

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 22:59 - Jul 1 by vapour_trail

I don’t think it’s too long, and I like the format where everyone plays everyone. Have really enjoyed it.

Back up days for abandoned games. How many have we lost, 4 or 5?

I think it's fine as at is, apart from the games washed out are just 1 point each and move on, washout replays can be slotted in later on. it would make sense to have a day or two at some point where you could play those games.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 23:32 - Jul 1 with 1737 viewsGuthrum

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 23:22 - Jul 1 by Melford

I think it's fine as at is, apart from the games washed out are just 1 point each and move on, washout replays can be slotted in later on. it would make sense to have a day or two at some point where you could play those games.

Indeed. With number of wins being used as the first criteria to rank teams on equal points, losing games to the weather unfairly penalises those teams who might otherwise have picked up victories on those occasions.

For me, under those circumstances, net run rate or head-to-head ought to come first as tie-breakers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 08:05 - Jul 2 with 1560 viewsIpswichKnight

Ticketing - each board gets a block of 8000-10000 for each venue ( depending on ground size ) those are sold first by which ever means the boards want, any tickets unsold after that go back into the normal ballot.

2 games a day - easily hold two games a day one starting at 10.30 the other at 13.30 would shorten the tournament.
The 2019 cricket World Cup on 08:06 - Jul 2 with 1558 viewsBigManBlue

Agree with others that the format has worked really well (for me), watching India skittle the Netherlands for 60 doesn't do a lot for me. Also means the teams that make the semis tend to be the ones that really do deserve it.

Would definitely, definitely have some reserve days as others have said, especially if we're hosting!

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 10:43 - Jul 2 with 1501 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Arrange for no-result fixtures to be replayed.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

The 2019 cricket World Cup on 10:48 - Jul 2 with 1492 viewsvilanovablue

Definitely more teams would be the first thing I'd like to see. I'd also add I'm no fan of all the teams playing each other as it removes a sense of jeopardy and favours the bigger side. This cup feels like it was set up to ensure that India, Australia, England and a n other succeed. I appreciate that England have done their best to mess it up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024