Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) 21:28 - Jul 2 with 4374 viewscarlisleaway

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 2 with 2149 viewsStokieBlue

Because it gave the right decision?

I guarantee nobody would be moaning if it was an USA goal disallowed.

It should be fully automated.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 2 with 2146 viewsWestover

Agree 😬
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:31 - Jul 2 with 2116 viewsPinewoodblue

Guess FIFA instructions on players signalling for VAR are different to those issued by UEFA who instruct that any player signalling for VAR Shoild be booked.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:37 - Jul 2 with 2072 viewsFootballpete

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

SB

It’s ruining the best part of watching football, the rush of excitement when a goal goes in. Without it what’s the point? This penalty referral is also nonsense.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:38 - Jul 2 with 2053 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:37 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

It’s ruining the best part of watching football, the rush of excitement when a goal goes in. Without it what’s the point? This penalty referral is also nonsense.

That's subjective though, you might think that's the best part, others might not. It should be automated. It's easy to write a program to check which line is first on the video - it should be automated and take 2 seconds for offside like the goal line tech.

This penalty review is ridiculous though - taking ages.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:40 - Jul 2 with 2042 viewsSarge

Utter nonsense. The day this infects its way into the lower leagues is the day I give up on football. It’s hanging by a thread as it is.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:41 - Jul 2 with 2031 viewsSarge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:38 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

That's subjective though, you might think that's the best part, others might not. It should be automated. It's easy to write a program to check which line is first on the video - it should be automated and take 2 seconds for offside like the goal line tech.

SB

Why’s stop there, why don’t we just automate the players and then they’ll be no need for rules monitoring. It’s a human game that can be enhanced by technology (goal line tech) but this is no enhancement.

Obviously this is tongue in cheek but where does it end?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 21:43]
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:42 - Jul 2 with 2020 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:41 - Jul 2 by Sarge

Why’s stop there, why don’t we just automate the players and then they’ll be no need for rules monitoring. It’s a human game that can be enhanced by technology (goal line tech) but this is no enhancement.

Obviously this is tongue in cheek but where does it end?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 21:43]

Clearly that's a ridiculous post.

How is goal line tech different to offside. Both are literally seeing if one thing is past another.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:45 - Jul 2 with 1995 viewsSarge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:42 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

Clearly that's a ridiculous post.

How is goal line tech different to offside. Both are literally seeing if one thing is past another.

SB

If it’s just offside you’re wanting to automate then yes, fine agreed.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:45 - Jul 2 with 1983 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:45 - Jul 2 by Sarge

If it’s just offside you’re wanting to automate then yes, fine agreed.

Yes, it was only offside I was talking about.

Glad we are agreed :).

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:52 - Jul 2 with 1954 viewsFootballpete

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:38 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

SB

I’m not sure it’s particularly subjective.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:54 - Jul 2 with 1936 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:52 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

I’m not sure it’s particularly subjective.

Of course it is. You've taken one part of football and said it's the best bit. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That is the definition of subjective.

I suspect you don't feel the same when that goal has gone against you and was clearly wrong.

I'm no huge fan of VAR but some of the posts about it are bizarre.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:56 - Jul 2 with 1921 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Rubbish. being offside is what stopped the goal. The correct decision made and same for pen. VAR was spot on tonight. Yhe thrill of a goal is going nowhere. What rubbish. The thrill of a goal that should NOT stand is gone. Thats good. There will always be people who can't handle change. I hated the idea of reviews in tennis. I was wrong. VAR needs tweaking. no need to use it for handballs.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:59 - Jul 2 with 1904 viewsFootballpete

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:54 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

Of course it is. You've taken one part of football and said it's the best bit. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That is the definition of subjective.

I suspect you don't feel the same when that goal has gone against you and was clearly wrong.

I'm no huge fan of VAR but some of the posts about it are bizarre.

SB

If you did a poll of football supporters asking them what their favourite part of watching the game was, “that moment your team scores” would be the overwhelming winner. I love other elements too, but the stadium doesn’t erupt at a defence splitting pass or a great tackle.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:02 - Jul 2 with 1882 viewsFootballpete

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:56 - Jul 2 by Terry_Nutkins

Rubbish. being offside is what stopped the goal. The correct decision made and same for pen. VAR was spot on tonight. Yhe thrill of a goal is going nowhere. What rubbish. The thrill of a goal that should NOT stand is gone. Thats good. There will always be people who can't handle change. I hated the idea of reviews in tennis. I was wrong. VAR needs tweaking. no need to use it for handballs.

Reuser........Premiership? Let’s check for 5 minutes and take the sting out of the moment.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:04 - Jul 2 with 1877 viewssundaze

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:56 - Jul 2 by Terry_Nutkins

Why don't you want it used for handballs? You are happy that the correct decision was made (eventually) for the penalty, yet you don't want VAR to spot a missed handball that would also award a penalty.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:06 - Jul 2 with 1870 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:02 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

Reuser........Premiership? Let’s check for 5 minutes and take the sting out of the moment.

What about if the goal had been scored against us, was offside but stood and we didn't get promoted.

Do you still feel it's ruining the game if VAR had overturned it?

It's all a bit Luddite. It's not being done right at the moment but it could be and it would then be good for the game.

SB
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 22:07]

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:08 - Jul 2 with 1864 viewshype313

The combination of VAR and the new handball rule is going to cause mayhem in the first couple of months of the Premiership

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:13 - Jul 2 with 1837 viewsTractorCam

SB

I'm moaning because it gave England a penalty.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:13 - Jul 2 with 1833 viewsFootballpete

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:06 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

What about if the goal had been scored against us, was offside but stood and we didn't get promoted.

It's all a bit Luddite. It's not being done right at the moment but it could be and it would then be good for the game.

SB

It would be a sickener, but it’s those moments of controversy that make that game great for me.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:15 - Jul 2 with 1819 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:13 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

It would be a sickener, but it’s those moments of controversy that make that game great for me.

Fair enough, although I do think you would feel differently if it actually happened.

There is unfortunately too much money involved nowadays to allow one fallable human decision to cost a club 150m.

SB
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 22:16]

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:18 - Jul 2 with 1807 viewscaught-in-limbo

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:59 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

If you did a poll of football supporters asking them what their favourite part of watching the game was, “that moment your team scores” would be the overwhelming winner. I love other elements too, but the stadium doesn’t erupt at a defence splitting pass or a great tackle.

Favourite moment: that moment your team scores
Worst moment: that moment the other team scores
2nd best moment: that moment their goal is disallowed and their fans shut up.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:18 - Jul 2 with 1806 viewsTrequartista

SB

I was moaning that it wasn't a clear and obvious penalty to England

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:19 - Jul 2 with 1796 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:18 - Jul 2 by Trequartista

I was moaning that it wasn't a clear and obvious penalty to England

Of course it was.

Pronouns: He/Him

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:24 - Jul 2 with 1771 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:06 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed.

How VAR is used needs work (although tonight it worked perfectly without any on-pitch delay) but removing injustice and occasional cheating can only be a good thing in the long run.

Showing the VAR live in the stadium seems to help in rugby but it seems that it's avoided in football because people can't be trusted to handle the truth.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024