Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? 05:24 - Jul 3 with 2355 viewsBlueRaider

It is just making the game worse at the moment, long delays and crazy marginal decisions.

Time to learn from other sports

Put it in the hands of the captains, only one failed referral per half, and the game only stops when the ball is in the possession of the team calling the referral or dead.

This would stop the marginal calls, players usually know. I don't think the USA would have risked their review on that goal last night, it could be too valuable later in the game on a more significant decision.

Thoughts ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:05 - Jul 3 with 2267 viewsIpswichKnight

Said this before, they can learn from both Hockey and Cricket here.

Cricket we all know you get one referral an innings and only the captain can call it. Keeping the referral if the decision is umpires call is a good thing for cricket not sure it would work for football.

Think hockey can give football the better idea of how to work this, both sports are free flowing and fast games. Both teams get 1 referral a half. Hockey umpires can refer there own decisions as well.
VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:11 - Jul 3 with 2263 viewsSlambo

Excellent suggestion. I always thought the only way to successfully implement VAR would be a challenge system, don't know why it's not even been mentioned by the so-called authorities. I'd maybe give them more, though - three per half, but once you've lost it, you've lost it, so they've REALLY got to be sure. Like the idea of it being the captain's responsibility as well...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:15 - Jul 3 with 2254 viewsITFC_Forever

One appeal per half, per team and if you're right, you keep it.

Also an "Umpire's call" mechanism as well - this would empower the officials to make a decision and also preventing them cowardly ducking the issue and deliberately making no decision and letting VAR sort it out for them..... if a decision was so tight within a certain margin (eg; England's disallowed goal last night), then VAR would go with Umpire's Call, in the same way if ball would only just be clipping the wickets, then the cricket authorities go with the umpire's original decision.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:18 - Jul 3 with 2246 viewstractorshark

Posted this on another thread but probably more relevant here...
Best thing for VAR? Ditch it. Here’s why...

Anyone who likes VAR has lost sight of what football is really about.
It encourages pettiness over passion.
I watch a lot of Bundesliga football and their fans are at the stage where they don’t know whether to celebrate or not. Now it’s happening over here.
Football is a human sport, with human emotion and human error.
In the same way your striker will miss an open goal and your keeper will spill a shot, a ref will make the odd mistake.
But at the highest level, they don’t make many. It’s just they get highlighted and pored over.
Now we’ve got a system which is still open to interpretation, doesn’t stick to the original idea of correcting clear and obvious errors and ridiculously slows down the game.
And all at a cost to the actual experience of watching and playing the sport.
VAR has highlighted two things - some of the rules are flawed and there wasn’t much wrong with the game in the first place.
The people who champion VAR are looking for perfection. But all it’s done is dilute the pleasure and passion of watching a game that I love.
Give me a little imperfection anytime.
VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:19 - Jul 3 with 2244 viewschicoazul

VAR is yet another example of the UKs ongoing class struggle, intended as it is for the irate middle classes sat at home watching it on TV rather than the proper fans at the game.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:37 - Jul 3 with 2212 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:15 - Jul 3 by ITFC_Forever

One appeal per half, per team and if you're right, you keep it.

Also an "Umpire's call" mechanism as well - this would empower the officials to make a decision and also preventing them cowardly ducking the issue and deliberately making no decision and letting VAR sort it out for them..... if a decision was so tight within a certain margin (eg; England's disallowed goal last night), then VAR would go with Umpire's Call, in the same way if ball would only just be clipping the wickets, then the cricket authorities go with the umpire's original decision.

Question:

How would you determine when an offside goes from being "Umpire's Call" and being too marginal, to actually being offside? Surely that would be even harder to determine?

In cricket, it is pretty clear when more than half the ball is hitting the wicket, you can't possibly say the same for a football player. I don't see how you can change that side of VAR. As frustrating as it was, and as close as it was, last night (and Lingard v Holland too), it was offside.
VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 13:31 - Jul 3 with 2152 viewsGarv

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 09:18 - Jul 3 by tractorshark

Posted this on another thread but probably more relevant here...
Best thing for VAR? Ditch it. Here’s why...

Anyone who likes VAR has lost sight of what football is really about.
It encourages pettiness over passion.
I watch a lot of Bundesliga football and their fans are at the stage where they don’t know whether to celebrate or not. Now it’s happening over here.
Football is a human sport, with human emotion and human error.
In the same way your striker will miss an open goal and your keeper will spill a shot, a ref will make the odd mistake.
But at the highest level, they don’t make many. It’s just they get highlighted and pored over.
Now we’ve got a system which is still open to interpretation, doesn’t stick to the original idea of correcting clear and obvious errors and ridiculously slows down the game.
And all at a cost to the actual experience of watching and playing the sport.
VAR has highlighted two things - some of the rules are flawed and there wasn’t much wrong with the game in the first place.
The people who champion VAR are looking for perfection. But all it’s done is dilute the pleasure and passion of watching a game that I love.
Give me a little imperfection anytime.

How more people don't have this view confuses me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 23:04 - Jul 3 with 2079 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Just scrap it. Keep goal line technology and the rest can take care of itself like it has done for 150 years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 23:38 - Jul 3 with 2059 viewsCoastalblue

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 23:04 - Jul 3 by The_Last_Baron

Just scrap it. Keep goal line technology and the rest can take care of itself like it has done for 150 years.

Agree, football is a sport played by humans (mostly) and refereed by humans. Humans make mistakes, the best make fewer, these add to the overall package not detract.

I know one thing if I end up in grounds watching games where it keeps stopping for 5 minutes then I'll stop bothering, that's not football.

Football's about rhythm, fitness, pressure, composure, game management and countless other aspects which VAR kills.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 03:50 - Jul 4 with 2033 viewsnoitan

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 13:31 - Jul 3 by Garv

How more people don't have this view confuses me.

Partly because it works when watching on tv. It isn't good if u r actually at a match. Puts u off live football.

Curlew

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 12:44 - Jul 4 with 1955 viewsGarv

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 03:50 - Jul 4 by noitan

Partly because it works when watching on tv. It isn't good if u r actually at a match. Puts u off live football.

I'd disagree with that too.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 18:15 - Jul 4 with 1913 viewsbraveblue

Switch it off.
VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 20:51 - Jul 9 with 1133 viewsHerbivore

Thought I'd add to this rather than start a new thread. Watching the Villa v Man U game and I'm struggling with how the VAR officials have watched Fernandes spin and throw himself into a defender and decided that a penalty was the correct decision.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 21:11 - Jul 9 with 1105 viewsSwansea_Blue

A lot of the VAR issues have also been down to the ambiguity that remains in the rules of the game. As long as a lot of decisiosn rely on referee judgement and discretion there will be a chance of marginal decisions gong either way. VAR won't change that.

The match the other night was a case in point (Spurs goal rulled offside was it?). VAR got the blame, but the rule was followed in the VAR analysis. The problem was the rule.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 21:17 - Jul 9 with 1094 viewssparks

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 21:11 - Jul 9 by Swansea_Blue

A lot of the VAR issues have also been down to the ambiguity that remains in the rules of the game. As long as a lot of decisiosn rely on referee judgement and discretion there will be a chance of marginal decisions gong either way. VAR won't change that.

The match the other night was a case in point (Spurs goal rulled offside was it?). VAR got the blame, but the rule was followed in the VAR analysis. The problem was the rule.

The worst ones have been where the rules are bad and the call is correct as a result of the bad rule. As was the case tonight, and the other night for Spurs.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

VAR - What a farce, how to improve it ? on 04:32 - Jul 10 with 1003 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Don't interfere with the match, just add it to the extra time again the end. Calls for it to be checked face sort of penalty if wrong(say a direct free kick and play until ball goes out) and a bonus if right, to avoid the amount rampant cheating and lying from players(I still remember when footballers were brutal but generally honest gentleman).
So for a goal, that didn't cross the line, if given and it's called to be reviewed the opposition get a free penalty. Red card fouls in the box, a penalty, outside the box a free kick. Each team can have a screen in the dugout for an official of their club to view, so they can pass the information onto the manager as to whether it should be reviewed or not.

Maybe not the best solution, but currently VAR isn't doing what it was advertised as doing.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024