Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What other works of art 09:37 - Jul 3 with 1719 viewschicoazul

will be edited or destroyed with the benefit of hindsight in the light of our changing societal values?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/03/toy-story-2-casting-couch-blooper-d

This process of continuous alteration was applied not only to newspapers, but to books, periodicals, pamphlets, posters, leaflets, films, sound-tracks, cartoons, photographs – to every kind of literature or documentation which might conceivably hold any political or ideological significance. Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What other works of art on 09:39 - Jul 3 with 1699 viewsBlueBadger

Anything that upsets trumpy-wumpy will be first onto the bonfire.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/canadian-cartoonist-opens-up-abou

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What other works of art on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 1698 viewsfooters

They'd better not touch Space Jam.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What other works of art on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 1691 viewschicoazul

What other works of art on 09:40 - Jul 3 by footers

They'd better not touch Space Jam.

Oh God what is it with you young people and bloody Space Jam? It's as bad as the Craig David thing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What other works of art on 09:41 - Jul 3 with 1688 viewsBigManBlue

This has always happened. In manuscript culture, copiers often omitted or changed bits they didn't agree with or which were no longer considered acceptable. Many printed books suffered the same treatment - Cambridge University Library had a great exhibit on this a couple of years back, I remember a post-reformation edition copy of Chaucer with huge chunks of the Parson's and Miller's tales redacted in thick black ink.

Now at least such alterations are harder to pull of completely because, as they say, the internet is forever and it's likely that different editions of edited texts will exist simultaneously and be easily accessible.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 9:45]

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

What other works of art on 09:44 - Jul 3 with 1674 viewsBlueBadger

What other works of art on 09:41 - Jul 3 by BigManBlue

This has always happened. In manuscript culture, copiers often omitted or changed bits they didn't agree with or which were no longer considered acceptable. Many printed books suffered the same treatment - Cambridge University Library had a great exhibit on this a couple of years back, I remember a post-reformation edition copy of Chaucer with huge chunks of the Parson's and Miller's tales redacted in thick black ink.

Now at least such alterations are harder to pull of completely because, as they say, the internet is forever and it's likely that different editions of edited texts will exist simultaneously and be easily accessible.

A lot of Shakespeare tragedies were 'improved' with happy endings during the regency period. King Lear was essentially banned under George III.

https://regencyredingote.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/shakespeares-king-lear-banned-

Hopefully Guffers will come along in a bit and tell us more about it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

What other works of art on 09:45 - Jul 3 with 1668 viewsTangledupin_Blue

"The Dambusters" (film) has had Guy Gibson's dog's name edited out. The film is factual and the dog was accurately named in the original.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

What other works of art on 09:48 - Jul 3 with 1645 viewsBlueBadger

What other works of art on 09:40 - Jul 3 by chicoazul

Oh God what is it with you young people and bloody Space Jam? It's as bad as the Craig David thing.

It's a shame it's not Sunday, you could chill about this.

What other works of art on 09:48 - Jul 3 with 1646 viewshampstead_blue

You can't edit history to appeal to the mind set of today.

It's also a very funny skit....(am I allowed to say that or will I get banned!)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

What other works of art on 09:51 - Jul 3 with 1637 viewsBigManBlue

What other works of art on 09:44 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

A lot of Shakespeare tragedies were 'improved' with happy endings during the regency period. King Lear was essentially banned under George III.

https://regencyredingote.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/shakespeares-king-lear-banned-

Indeed. Until he was rehabilitated by certain of the Romantics, Shakespeare was often seen as rather uncouth in his treatment of genre conventions and certainly not held in the kind of untouchable esteem he is today (though in a large part you can put this down to the fact that the centrality of the vernacular in the western canon wasn't so fixed at this point).

Even today the textual modernisation is a kind of censorship, when you consider that a lot of the puns and verse rhythms only really work with Early Modern pronunciation.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 9:52]

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

What other works of art on 09:58 - Jul 3 with 1601 viewsBlueBadger

What other works of art on 09:51 - Jul 3 by BigManBlue

Indeed. Until he was rehabilitated by certain of the Romantics, Shakespeare was often seen as rather uncouth in his treatment of genre conventions and certainly not held in the kind of untouchable esteem he is today (though in a large part you can put this down to the fact that the centrality of the vernacular in the western canon wasn't so fixed at this point).

Even today the textual modernisation is a kind of censorship, when you consider that a lot of the puns and verse rhythms only really work with Early Modern pronunciation.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 9:52]

A few years ago I read a fascinating book which theorised that Shakespeare's use of Iambic Pentameter was an extremely way of offering direction to actors. I've no idea how solid this thoery is, but it's one that caught my imagination.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KFEJLCE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btk

What other works of art on 10:11 - Jul 3 with 1573 viewswkj

Non-issue of the day and it will remain a non-issue until they touch stig of the dump

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What other works of art on 10:22 - Jul 3 with 1548 viewsGuthrum

What other works of art on 09:44 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

The infamous Thomas Bowdler, who gave his name to the entire process of watering down unpleasantness in drama, or inserting happy endings - "bowdlerisation". Produced versions of shakespeare's plays with all the nasty bits taken out or rewritten.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What other works of art on 10:30 - Jul 3 with 1525 viewsfooters

What other works of art on 09:40 - Jul 3 by chicoazul

Young? Well, I'm flattered.

Seriously, watch it again, you'll be amazed how many nuances you missed the first time.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What other works of art on 10:43 - Jul 3 with 1488 viewsSouperJim

I'm interested to know if people think it would be ok for Disney to release a new copy of said film without removing the scene? Might make for an interesting comparison to the recent furore over Corbyn to writing a foreword to the modern printing of a book which contains antisemitic tropes which were culturally acceptable at the time it was written.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

What other works of art on 11:16 - Jul 3 with 1447 viewsPendejo

Weren't there rejected writings from The Bible... does that count? Except that wasn't modern revisionism...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What other works of art on 11:24 - Jul 3 with 1438 viewshampstead_blue

Hang-on......the penny has dropped...

Can we now ban all religous texts. Science has clearly proven them to be utter bunkem.

If they are going to scrub the Prospector then I want to see Mo, JC, et all in the pulper as they did with poor old Alan's book...Bouncing Back.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What other works of art on 12:17 - Jul 3 with 1381 viewsSpruceMoose

Anything with Kevin Spacey in.

Rolf Harris paintings.

Fred West's Geocities website.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What other works of art on 12:34 - Jul 3 with 1360 viewsBlueBadger

What other works of art on 12:17 - Jul 3 by SpruceMoose

Anything with Kevin Spacey in.

Rolf Harris paintings.

Fred West's Geocities website.

The Lostprophets back catalogue.

What other works of art on 12:35 - Jul 3 with 1357 viewsStokieBlue

Slightly divergent but one piece of art was recreated today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48839818

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024