Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Runners on TWTD 22:36 - Jul 3 with 1374 viewsSamuelowen88

Runners, after some advice from the hive mind.

Just started running (last week). Last night I ran a nice 5k route near my house. I ran for probably 70% of the route, with sections of 'recovery walking' aka walking when it felt like I was going to spew up my spleen.

Anyway, what's the beat way for me to get that percentage up? And then decrease my time?

Keep running like that and I'll get fitter? Run slower but aim to run for a higher percentage?

TIA

Sam

Poll: England v Wales Score

Runners on TWTD on 22:41 - Jul 3 with 1359 viewsmisty1984

I started out last year being taught to run and walk but having it structured, so run for x number of mins then have a 1 min walk break. It worked for me as a beginner. I’m now up to half marathon running the whole way.
I did run/walk the marathon this year as was worried about previous knee injuries and the distance but it worked.
It might not work for you but worth trying, just takes a bit of trial and error to see how long you can run for before needing a break. Key is that you don’t get to the stage where you are knackered, good test is whether you can hold a conversation.
Runners on TWTD on 23:25 - Jul 3 with 1309 viewsCrayonKing

I started by following the couch to 5k plan using the NHS app (free on App Store) and within a couple of months I went from never having run at all to doing 5k 2-3 times a week. It uses a walk-run-walk-run approach, gradually increasing the time spent running as you get fitter and build up the right muscles.

I'd also recommend Parkrun on a Saturday morning as a great way of meeting other runners of all different abilities. Everything from total beginners to more experienced runners who are more than happy to pass on advice, or even help pace you in some cases.
Runners on TWTD on 08:09 - Jul 4 with 1173 viewsWD19

As others have said, get the % up by using a structured approach. Possibly even an app.

Once you have done that get the time down by any combination of practice, longer runs, interval training and general fitness building up strength on things like exercise bikes/cycling. Whatever works for you.
Runners on TWTD on 08:30 - Jul 4 with 1159 viewsITFC_Forever

That's how I started.... run as much as you can, walk the rest.

Keep at it for two-three times a week, and you'll start walking less and less until you run the whole lot and it'll feel like an achievement, then keep at at and your times will improve...

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Runners on TWTD on 08:43 - Jul 4 with 1152 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends how seriously you want to take it and how far you want to go really, but as a general guide:

- for now suggest carry on as you are and try and run more until you can do the whole 5k without stopping, and then slowly try and increase the distance. You should find that you naturally get faster too as you get fitter
- once you’re comfortably able to do 5-10k if you’re serious about increasing your speed, then you’ll want to start throwing in things like interval training, hills, tempo runs etc along with some slower longer runs. Typical week could be 4 runs with 1 set of intervals, one medium paced medium run (day 5-10k), hill sprints and a slower longer run (15k+)
- as someone has suggested above Parkrun is worth a look especially now with 5k being your target. Although it’s not strictly a race, you may well find running with other people quite motivating and benefit as a result - both from being pushed not to stop as much and the motivation of catching the next person and so on. Also a handy barometer of how your time improves

Good luck!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Runners on TWTD on 09:08 - Jul 4 with 1134 viewsTIB

I once Googled what a good 5k time was...as someone put it, as long as it was faster than your last then it was good. A second quicker? Progress. 71% of the route ran? Progress.

On a side note as I asked on here a few weeks back about shin splints as since I've started running more they've been affecting me. Make sure you warmup and cooldown...not only will it help stave off injury but it will have you in better shape for that next run.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Runners on TWTD on 09:15 - Jul 4 with 1125 viewsitfcjoe

The couch to 5k programme is really good, even if you can skip the first couple of weeks it really helps build it up to run a 5k at a consistent pace. Then park runs and see how you feel about pushing on from there.

Ipswich Jaffa is really good and train on Monday nights, membership cheap and a good crowd there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Runners on TWTD on 11:55 - Jul 4 with 1081 viewsITFC_Forever

Runners on TWTD on 09:08 - Jul 4 by TIB

I once Googled what a good 5k time was...as someone put it, as long as it was faster than your last then it was good. A second quicker? Progress. 71% of the route ran? Progress.

On a side note as I asked on here a few weeks back about shin splints as since I've started running more they've been affecting me. Make sure you warmup and cooldown...not only will it help stave off injury but it will have you in better shape for that next run.

I got them when I first started, because I was trying to do too much.

Now I never run two days in a row, and they've never come back.

As for a good time, the first time I did 5k I think it was 28 min something, now I'm always somewhere in the 25 min-something bracket, and very occasionally in to the 24 min-something.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Runners on TWTD on 21:16 - Jul 4 with 985 viewsSamuelowen88

Cheers for all the advice.

I've got the couch to 5k app so will see if that helps.

I don't want to go mental with it. But 5 &10k comfortably would be my aim I guess

Poll: England v Wales Score

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024