Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To A Nation Of Animal Lovers 06:22 - Jul 4 with 1808 viewsbrogansnose

Now this I find truly dreadful and horrifying.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/03/irish-greyhound-racing-faces-backl

Almost 6,000 dogs slaughtered in 2017 for being too slow ? Yes, I'm aware that worse atrocities are happening to humans in various parts of the World right now but there's no need for this.
To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 11:01 - Jul 4 with 1723 viewsjeera

Some fans will continue to excuse it, but the truth is they don't care.

Lovely creatures too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 11:43 - Jul 4 with 1688 viewsSwansea_Blue

My grandparents used to take in ex-race dogs. They had one with scars down it's flanks who was absolutely terrified of men but not women. God knows what treatment it had been through, poor thing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 11:47 - Jul 4 with 1678 viewschicoazul

How can we claim to be a nation of animal lovers when we race animals for sport and kill them if they are too slow or hurt themselves, and eat so many of them when alternatives are available? Clearly we hate animals.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 17:45 - Jul 4 with 1608 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 11:01 - Jul 4 by jeera

Some fans will continue to excuse it, but the truth is they don't care.

Lovely creatures too.

As a greyhound racing fan, I find your first sentence as somewhat offensive Jeera. It’s a pretty stupid thing to say. Of course I care.

But it’s very different in Ireland to England. Over here, we have rehoming schemes that are sorted out for our dogs when they are first bought and sold to the owners. So for my greyhound, his retirement home was sorted out upon purchase in April 2017. When he retires, he has a home sorted for him. More often than not, with this syndicate, someone will take the dog in anyway from the group so the money spent on his rehoming goes to a different dog instead. These initiatives over here are what should be in place over there.

Unfortunately, there’s an issue in Irish racing where a group try to get hold of the dogs to sell them on to China and other countries for food. And for other cruel reasons. These people have no interest in greyhound racing but are involved solely for the money to be made in selling them on for meat etc. They purposely choose the slowest greyhounds and it is tragic.

It’s extremely unfair to label greyhound fans as people who don’t care when it’s those who are doing this in Ireland that actually don’t care. Over here, there’s nothing I can do. It’s down to the Irish racing authority and their government to sort it out. It’s now a well-known issue (albeit one I’ve always know about) so hopefully will be sorted.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 17:51 - Jul 4 with 1603 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Also.. I know about this story from some people actually involved in Irish greyhound racing.

Whilst I don’t want to pick the story apart, nor the documentary as the bit about nearly 6,000 dogs being killed is completely true, some of this is not true.

The vet that the documentary chose to interview who claimed he’d seen ‘EPO levels in the blood of greyhounds like treacle’ was an outlier to the Irish racing scene. He’d been banned years ago for spreading lies and has an agenda. His girlfriend is also the coordinator of an anti-racing Group. I think his testimony can be ignored as he clearly has a grudge and a reason to lie.

There are a few other issues with the story like that - which has come from the documentary - but I won’t go into them as I don’t want to detract from the fact these greyhound have been killed. That’s a blatant problem and I won’t pretend it isn’t. I just wanted to give the other side of the story that this isn’t a greyhound racing issue. It’s an Irish racing issue. The wrong people have got involved in the sport and until this gang can be removed, the problems with dogs going ‘missing’ will continue. They’re not going missing as people in Ireland have pretended for years. They’re being killed and/or sold abroad for money.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 17:52]

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:35 - Jul 4 with 1578 viewsjeera

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 17:45 - Jul 4 by The_Romford_Blue

As a greyhound racing fan, I find your first sentence as somewhat offensive Jeera. It’s a pretty stupid thing to say. Of course I care.

But it’s very different in Ireland to England. Over here, we have rehoming schemes that are sorted out for our dogs when they are first bought and sold to the owners. So for my greyhound, his retirement home was sorted out upon purchase in April 2017. When he retires, he has a home sorted for him. More often than not, with this syndicate, someone will take the dog in anyway from the group so the money spent on his rehoming goes to a different dog instead. These initiatives over here are what should be in place over there.

Unfortunately, there’s an issue in Irish racing where a group try to get hold of the dogs to sell them on to China and other countries for food. And for other cruel reasons. These people have no interest in greyhound racing but are involved solely for the money to be made in selling them on for meat etc. They purposely choose the slowest greyhounds and it is tragic.

It’s extremely unfair to label greyhound fans as people who don’t care when it’s those who are doing this in Ireland that actually don’t care. Over here, there’s nothing I can do. It’s down to the Irish racing authority and their government to sort it out. It’s now a well-known issue (albeit one I’ve always know about) so hopefully will be sorted.

My family had kennels and raced greyhounds when I was a kid.

I still have friends very involved in the game. Please don't try to tell me how it is all cute and cuddly here now - it isn't.

I didn't mention you nor pointed towards you. I said 'some people'. I actually had some pals of mine in mind from Basildon way.

Edited: I don't give a stuff if you're offended. It's up to you if you support it.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:37]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:39 - Jul 4 with 1569 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:35 - Jul 4 by jeera

My family had kennels and raced greyhounds when I was a kid.

I still have friends very involved in the game. Please don't try to tell me how it is all cute and cuddly here now - it isn't.

I didn't mention you nor pointed towards you. I said 'some people'. I actually had some pals of mine in mind from Basildon way.

Edited: I don't give a stuff if you're offended. It's up to you if you support it.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:37]

I’m not saying it’s cute and cuddly.

But as someone very much involved in the game, owned a racing greyhound, knows multiple people in the game and attends racing dozens of times a year, suggesting racing fans don’t care is bang out of order.

The absolute majority do care. Tarring a whole sport with the brush of a minority is nothing short of unfair

Edit - You don’t give a stuff if I’m offended? Well I don’t give a stuff about your ridiculous suggestions about a whole sport. Treat the minority of d**kheads like a minority not the minority as the majority. Frankly, you’re coming across rude now.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:42]

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:44 - Jul 4 with 1544 viewsSpruceMoose

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:39 - Jul 4 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m not saying it’s cute and cuddly.

But as someone very much involved in the game, owned a racing greyhound, knows multiple people in the game and attends racing dozens of times a year, suggesting racing fans don’t care is bang out of order.

The absolute majority do care. Tarring a whole sport with the brush of a minority is nothing short of unfair

Edit - You don’t give a stuff if I’m offended? Well I don’t give a stuff about your ridiculous suggestions about a whole sport. Treat the minority of d**kheads like a minority not the minority as the majority. Frankly, you’re coming across rude now.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:42]

Your comment is the equivalent of 'the not all men' argument really.

It's not an argument against what is going on here.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:45]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:31 - Jul 4 with 1512 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 18:44 - Jul 4 by SpruceMoose

Your comment is the equivalent of 'the not all men' argument really.

It's not an argument against what is going on here.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 18:45]

My argument is that he’s tarring us all (greyhound racing fans) with the same brush.

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:54 - Jul 4 with 1490 viewswkj

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:31 - Jul 4 by The_Romford_Blue

My argument is that he’s tarring us all (greyhound racing fans) with the same brush.

I looked at this objectively and he Jeera said in his first line he was referring to a cross section rather than a blanket statement

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:55 - Jul 4 with 1477 viewsSpruceMoose

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:31 - Jul 4 by The_Romford_Blue

Exactly like I said. It's the 'Not All Men' argument.

1) We already know it isn't all greyhound owners. It's not helpful to shift the argument from some greyhound owners to all greyhound owners.

2) It's defensive, and when you're being defensive you aren't really listening, you're thinking of ways to defend your argument.

3) You're sidetracking the conversation and not furthering it. We aren't talking about the greyhound owners who aren't a problem, we are talking about the ones who are.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 19:59]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 20:13 - Jul 4 with 1464 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 19:55 - Jul 4 by SpruceMoose

Exactly like I said. It's the 'Not All Men' argument.

1) We already know it isn't all greyhound owners. It's not helpful to shift the argument from some greyhound owners to all greyhound owners.

2) It's defensive, and when you're being defensive you aren't really listening, you're thinking of ways to defend your argument.

3) You're sidetracking the conversation and not furthering it. We aren't talking about the greyhound owners who aren't a problem, we are talking about the ones who are.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 19:59]

Ok well I’ve said about the issues being primarily in Irish racing and what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing any of us can do. It’s down to the IGB and the Irish Government to sort it.

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 20:43 - Jul 4 with 1441 viewsBloomBlue

I'm more into dog fighting and greyhounds are useless at that.
But lovely breed, trouble is the breed has been there for 200 years to chase and catch rabbits but humans are against those types of sport so the breed will gradually become extinct
To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 20:45 - Jul 4 with 1430 viewsSpruceMoose

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 20:43 - Jul 4 by BloomBlue

I'm more into dog fighting and greyhounds are useless at that.
But lovely breed, trouble is the breed has been there for 200 years to chase and catch rabbits but humans are against those types of sport so the breed will gradually become extinct

Not before you will though, thankfully...

To A Nation Of Animal Lovers on 21:29 - Jul 4 with 1412 viewsgtsb

On a separate note but very much to do with cruelty I was listening to 5live this morning and they had a scientist on who was trying to eradicate the poaching of rhino horn. They are now making the rhino horn, I didn't hear how, poisonous to humans and in the areas they have started the poachers have virtually disappeared. What absolutely shocked and saddened me was that I thought rhinos were shot dead and then the horn sawn off but not so. Most rhinos are merely disabled and their whole face is cut off whilst they are alive. I hate the human race sometimes.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 21:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024