Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article on town 08:23 - Jul 8 with 2214 viewsAYACCA

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/07/08/they-sold-a-team-and-built-a-stand-how-
Article on town on 08:25 - Jul 8 with 2186 viewsPJH

First sentence of piece is wrong because we celebrated the UEFA Cup win in Amsterdam not Alkmaar-I will read the rest of it now.
Article on town on 08:54 - Jul 8 with 2119 viewsITFC_Forever

".....clubs had to wake up to the fact that spending money that they didn’t have was not a sound business plan."

Was only skim-reading it and I got to this part - wasn't sure if it was talking about back then or now....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Article on town on 10:22 - Jul 8 with 1970 viewsPendejo

Some excellent articles linked from that page, dangerous for sentimental old fools like me to read at work.I appear to have some grit in my eye...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Article on town on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 1841 viewsDeano69

“It was only designed and constructed because we had 2,000 fans on our season-ticket waiting list and we were making £250,000 a year profit,” Robson argued. “The stand was not a gamble as far as myself and the directors were concerned. Let’s face it, the club had a run of playing in Europe nine years out of ten and we were looking to having gates of between 25,000 and 28,000.”

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Article on town on 15:43 - Jul 8 with 1640 viewsTractorWood

Article on town on 11:35 - Jul 8 by Deano69

“It was only designed and constructed because we had 2,000 fans on our season-ticket waiting list and we were making £250,000 a year profit,” Robson argued. “The stand was not a gamble as far as myself and the directors were concerned. Let’s face it, the club had a run of playing in Europe nine years out of ten and we were looking to having gates of between 25,000 and 28,000.”

Building extra capacity assuming they'll never be a rainy day is a bit forte of the club then?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Article on town on 16:19 - Jul 8 with 1553 viewsPJH

Article on town on 15:43 - Jul 8 by TractorWood

Building extra capacity assuming they'll never be a rainy day is a bit forte of the club then?

Although from mid 1970's until early part of 1980's I assumed that ITFC would be in the top division "for ever".
We had established ourselves as one of the top two or three clubs and arguably on occasions as THE top club in the country.
At the time that the building of what became The Pioneer Stand went ahead there was reason to suppose that it was and would be necessary for years to come.

Bobby Robson leaving at a similar time to the stand being built was unfortunate but it need not necessarily have led to what followed.
Article on town on 17:04 - Jul 8 with 1448 viewslevelneville

Well move on 20 + years and omit the money for a new stand and all that was written could apply today.....do we not learn from our mistakes. Personally I would rather have the old stands and a better team but that's just my view...
Article on town on 17:20 - Jul 8 with 1423 views66notout

Article on town on 08:25 - Jul 8 by PJH

First sentence of piece is wrong because we celebrated the UEFA Cup win in Amsterdam not Alkmaar-I will read the rest of it now.

Not the best of starts and the article is full of inaccuracies, the worst being the myth that constructing a stand was the club’s downfall. Utter nonsense.
It was the loss of Bobby Robson and his successor’s inability to make the transition from coach to manager that brought about the demise. The line about the stand was peddled by people who knew little about the way the abrasive Ferguson’s relationship with most players deteriorated to the point of them wanting to depart. Paul Mariner has even admitted that when he left Town for Arsenal he took a drop in salary. Sadly, Ferguson was a good coach but had few of Robson’s managerial attributes and that was what contributed to the departure of so many players, while the club’s youth programme also suffered through the lack of Bobby R’s charisma, which helped to attract apprentices whose parents knew their offspring would be well looked after under his rule.
At least that’s what I have heard from people who were close to the club at the time. The stand was not so much a luxury as a priority, bearing in mind that every single seat back then was sold as a season ticket and, as Bobby R said, there was a fairly lengthy waiting list of fans who did not want to stand, for a variety of reasons, and who had to be turned away.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 17:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024