Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here 08:28 - Jul 8 with 19609 viewsitfcjoe

Discuss...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 20:02 - Jul 10 with 667 viewsRegencyBlue

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 11:39 - Jul 8 by Guthrum

We won't be going bust, either.

Upward progress in English football at the momen is predicated on finding one of two things, either a) a genuinely deep-pocketed benefactor, such as Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha or Vincent Tan; or b) luck, acquiring a talented manager, an unexpectedly good player (e.g. Pukki), having a season just "click", with decisions going the right way and few injuries to crucial players (e.g. Sheff U and Norwich last season).

Marcus Evans is not a) - very few owners genuinely are. And we have fallen dreadfully afoul of b) for several seasons running.

Many clubs have run aground trying to simply spend their way into the Prem, because the owners did not really have the money required, because they could not sustain the required level for more than one season, through downright dodginess, or just simply because it hasn't quite worked (like Derby). For some of them, it has led to the brink of outright ruin (Portsmouth, Bolton).

By choosing to play along with the rules of modern English football finance, you set yourself a tremendously stiff task, requiring immense, sustained resources and with a massive degree of risk. Yes, the potential return might be high, but you may end up losing more than you had to start off with.

Evans has not participated in that high-stakes, high-risk game (perhaps because he knows he can't). The result has been a slow decline, but no dramatic crash. The club is still intact, albeit having dropped a division. There is a moderately sustainable plan in place, of using as many home-grown players as possible.

The question exists as to whether the entire English football model is sustainable. Many clubs are struggling badly, even some in the Prem. Rampant inflation has caused massive debt. If the flow of Sky TV money (reliant on a single company) ever faulters, the crash will be catastrophic.

Is sitting out of the game for a bit more healthy, long term, than getting beaten nearly to death in the current maul, which may end up falling over a cliff anyway?

Don’t like to disagree with you Guthram as I more often than not I agree with what you say but I think you give Evans more credit than he deserves.

I have no idea what he is doing at the club but it’s clear he is slowly killing it. Whatever he is doing however it will be for the benefit of Marcus Evans and not for the club.

We could have a worse owner but we could also have far, far better.
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 22:54 - Jul 10 with 606 viewspatrickswell

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 19:24 - Jul 9 by Swansea_Blue

Starstruck over the legend that is Roy Keane, maybe?

It’s a good point and one not often raised. I can’t actually remember the mood at the time. Did it feel like Magic had reached the end? He went a bit nuts didn’t he, but I think that was at QPR.

In hindsight, it’s pretty cleat he was being judged against unrealistic expectations.

Magilton was seen as having blown a good opportunity. He was backed with money and a brief to get promotion, but the inconsistent results that dogged his reign in the first two years continued to happen and his transfer purchases, by and large, failed to make us better. He was clearly under pressure from fans, the media and likely from Evans who had inherited him, so the responsibility towards him may not have been there in the way that Evans may have felt towards Keane or Jewell say.

We didn’t convince in 08-09, but it was felt we were maybe a couple of signings away from cracking it. Keane would bring a winning mentality, I thoroughly supported it...but I’m struggling to think of another example of someone coming into a club, spending decent money and making such a hash of it.
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 07:13 - Jul 11 with 545 viewschristiand

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 13:26 - Jul 9 by Slambo

Aw mate, of course! There's no doubt in the current footballing paradigm Norwich have been successful. But let's look at it more closely: what has been their biggest success? Finishing in the top half of the Prem..?! Is that really what constitutes success now..?! I'd rather it had been us, of course, but really it's like the old two bald men fighting over a comb analogy. I want so badly for Ipswich to thrive, but the rewards are so inconsequential now. Time was a club like Ipswich could get into the top flight, cobble a side together, and take a tilt at the big prizes - and this actually happened, for us and other small/medium sized clubs (in inconvenient truth for the Premier League, hence why they try to airbrush anything pre-1992 out of history)...

So let Norwich have their day in the sun. Sad thing for them - for ALL of us - is that if they look closely enough they'll notice it's not the sun at all, but some manky old light bulb...

Fact is, if we ever got back to the EPL then a top half finish would be classified as 'success' and that's the sad truth of the matter. The game has changed so much since we were last involved in the top flight that winning: The title, FA Cup or the League Cup would be hugely unlikely for a club of our size and stature now.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 7:15]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:48 - Jul 11 with 479 viewsSlambo

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 07:13 - Jul 11 by christiand

Fact is, if we ever got back to the EPL then a top half finish would be classified as 'success' and that's the sad truth of the matter. The game has changed so much since we were last involved in the top flight that winning: The title, FA Cup or the League Cup would be hugely unlikely for a club of our size and stature now.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 7:15]

Well, quite. But that's the point i'm trying to make: Marcus Evans has f*cked up royally, but really, what was the prize on offer anyway..?! Why should scraping into the top half of the Prem be the sum of our - or any club's - ambitions..?

We can rant and rave at Evans all we want (and he does deserve it) but we should be directing most of our ire at the Premier League, the spineless jellyfish at the FA, and even at UEFA. Case in point: German football fans had Monday night games foisted upon on them. They didn't want Monday night games. So they organised and protested, en masse, and, sure enough, the Bundesliga abolished Monday night games...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024