Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here 08:28 - Jul 8 with 19610 viewsitfcjoe

Discuss...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:34 - Jul 8 with 5546 viewsBlueBadger

100 POINTS AND 100 GOALS

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:35 - Jul 8 with 5544 viewsportmanking

Well, let's be honest. We've blamed the latest string of managers for our demise and no change of manager has, thus far, managed to change the tide. You don't have to be Einstein to see that Evans is the common denominator.

It's a case of morals among some Town fans I feel. They can't bring themselves to protest against a man that's stumped up £70m+ of his own wealth. Nevertheless, football club ownership seems to be totally detached from real life in so many ways that why shouldn't we be complaining? We've slumped to our lowest ebb in 60 years, have let our nearest rivals infiltrate our county to enhance their talent pool and generally let our standing within the community slide into oblivion.

For me personally, what I would give for a owner/chairman that was part of the community; was approachable to the fans and was open and transparent about his aspirations rather than trotting out vacuous Five Year Plans that've shown no signs of bearing fruit.
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:36 - Jul 8 with 5533 viewsReuser_is_God

We're definitely going somewhere, just in the wrong direction.

I honestly thought that relegation would've been the wake up call he needed but evidently not.

I really hope this is all just BS from Lambert but I'm convinced it's not.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:36 - Jul 8 with 5530 viewsPlums

All the evidence so far would suggest we are going somewhere but in the opposite direction to where we should be going.
Whether he can reverse it will play out over the next two years. If he can’t, we’re in a world of trouble on and off the pitch.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:38 - Jul 8 with 5518 viewsDanTheMan

We are going somewhere, and it's down.

I'm completely disillusioned with his ownership now.

- There appears to be little in the way of actual planning
- His hires have been bad outside of one
- The lack of public appearances has been detrimental on a number of occasions. I get that he did not want to be in the public eye, but maybe he shouldn't have bought a football club if that was going to be an issue for him.
- We have been underfunded for years and now it looks like we're going to be underfunded a division down as well which will be really fun.
- We're relying on being able to continuously unearth youth talents when we're going to start losing out to everyone else around us if we continue to languish.
- Lack of modernisation

Really though all you have to do is look at where we were when he took us over and look at where we are now. I get that the money has exponentially gone up in the game but we were in a good position.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 8:41]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:40 - Jul 8 with 5494 viewsitfcjoe

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:35 - Jul 8 by portmanking

Well, let's be honest. We've blamed the latest string of managers for our demise and no change of manager has, thus far, managed to change the tide. You don't have to be Einstein to see that Evans is the common denominator.

It's a case of morals among some Town fans I feel. They can't bring themselves to protest against a man that's stumped up £70m+ of his own wealth. Nevertheless, football club ownership seems to be totally detached from real life in so many ways that why shouldn't we be complaining? We've slumped to our lowest ebb in 60 years, have let our nearest rivals infiltrate our county to enhance their talent pool and generally let our standing within the community slide into oblivion.

For me personally, what I would give for a owner/chairman that was part of the community; was approachable to the fans and was open and transparent about his aspirations rather than trotting out vacuous Five Year Plans that've shown no signs of bearing fruit.

Mick is the only manager who has made Evans look good - and that was only for a couple of years before that all came tumbling down - because Evans couldn't reign Mick in and keep his mouth under control.

You look at the set up they have up the road and it's heartbreaking for a twon fan, a clear plan, executed well and whatever the outcomes are you at least know they know what they are doing.

We have the infrastructure of a mid table L1 club.

Said it on a previous thread - but we used to be a club you'd say teams like Derby, Forest, Norwich, etc were our natural rivals - it's now clubs like Millwall, Barnsley and Rotherham

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:41 - Jul 8 with 5489 viewsReuser_is_God

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:38 - Jul 8 by DanTheMan

We are going somewhere, and it's down.

I'm completely disillusioned with his ownership now.

- There appears to be little in the way of actual planning
- His hires have been bad outside of one
- The lack of public appearances has been detrimental on a number of occasions. I get that he did not want to be in the public eye, but maybe he shouldn't have bought a football club if that was going to be an issue for him.
- We have been underfunded for years and now it looks like we're going to be underfunded a division down as well which will be really fun.
- We're relying on being able to continuously unearth youth talents when we're going to start losing out to everyone else around us if we continue to languish.
- Lack of modernisation

Really though all you have to do is look at where we were when he took us over and look at where we are now. I get that the money has exponentially gone up in the game but we were in a good position.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 8:41]

I cannot understand why the sell on clauses we have received this summer aren't going to be reinvested in the squad.

It's bonus money which wouldn't have been accounted for when they finalised budgets for League 1.

As Mick would say, bonkers.

Evans out

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:41 - Jul 8 with 5476 viewsMetal_Hacker

What is there to discuss I'd ask ?

Destination nowhere I'm afraid . The whole scenario is starting to hurt right now after supporting ITFC for the best part of , well too many years.

Problem being , I'm really not sure of the answer

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:42 - Jul 8 with 5458 viewsHerbivore

Was anyone genuinely expecting us to spend money on fees this summer? I wasn't.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:42 - Jul 8 with 5471 viewsDanTheMan

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:41 - Jul 8 by Reuser_is_God

I cannot understand why the sell on clauses we have received this summer aren't going to be reinvested in the squad.

It's bonus money which wouldn't have been accounted for when they finalised budgets for League 1.

As Mick would say, bonkers.

Agreed.

And again, I understand we've just lost a bunch of money being relegated... which we will continue to do unless we get promoted. I'm not saying we need to go nuts, but no money at all to me makes no fooking sense.

I know it's not my money, but I didn't decide to buy a football club.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:43 - Jul 8 with 5464 viewsReuser_is_God

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:42 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Was anyone genuinely expecting us to spend money on fees this summer? I wasn't.

Not particularly but with the money we've received from Harrison & the ex players I'd have thought that would change slightly.

Evans out

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:44 - Jul 8 with 5460 viewsgeg1992

Although I wasn't expecting him to inject too much in the way of funds for transfers, I still expected him to want us to be in the Championship again ASAP.

Now it seems the expectations have been dropped and Lambert's comments this morning have kinda p'd me off.

I was really looking forward to this season, and had pencilled in many away games, but now I'm starting to feel downbeat as there seems to be no ambition.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:44 - Jul 8 with 5457 viewsportmanking

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:40 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Mick is the only manager who has made Evans look good - and that was only for a couple of years before that all came tumbling down - because Evans couldn't reign Mick in and keep his mouth under control.

You look at the set up they have up the road and it's heartbreaking for a twon fan, a clear plan, executed well and whatever the outcomes are you at least know they know what they are doing.

We have the infrastructure of a mid table L1 club.

Said it on a previous thread - but we used to be a club you'd say teams like Derby, Forest, Norwich, etc were our natural rivals - it's now clubs like Millwall, Barnsley and Rotherham

Yep, and what's equally frustrating is that them lot up the road don't have a rich benefactor either. They've been reasonably self-sustainable through the years.

I don't really care that Evans now spends more time than ever at PR. He's still never visible to the fans. You certainly won't see him in Meppen this weekend and nor will he be on a supporter's coach en-route to Burton next month. That's the kind of owner this club needs to haul it off its knees otherwise we're in danger of becoming also rans (if we aren't already)...
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:44 - Jul 8 with 5456 viewsReuser_is_God

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:42 - Jul 8 by DanTheMan

Agreed.

And again, I understand we've just lost a bunch of money being relegated... which we will continue to do unless we get promoted. I'm not saying we need to go nuts, but no money at all to me makes no fooking sense.

I know it's not my money, but I didn't decide to buy a football club.

Indeed.

The £9m TV money would've almost all been saved by relegation wage clauses in players contracts too I'd have thought.

Evans out

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:46 - Jul 8 with 5427 viewsHerbivore

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:43 - Jul 8 by Reuser_is_God

Not particularly but with the money we've received from Harrison & the ex players I'd have thought that would change slightly.

It's not a fortune though, it's a couple of million quid when our income is dropping by £9m. What that money should mean is a bit more leeway in the wage budget and less pressure to sell anyone else.

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:47 - Jul 8 with 5431 viewsportmanking

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:44 - Jul 8 by Reuser_is_God

Indeed.

The £9m TV money would've almost all been saved by relegation wage clauses in players contracts too I'd have thought.

That's what I don't quite get? I swear our wage bill last season was what, 16 million? If we've given most 45% wage cuts surely that must bring the bill down by 6-7 million overnight? Couple that with Clarke, Mings, Harrison and potentially Webster fees and we may even have generated an income surplus for that 9m black hole. Something doesn't add up...
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:48 - Jul 8 with 5415 viewsitfcjoe

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:44 - Jul 8 by portmanking

Yep, and what's equally frustrating is that them lot up the road don't have a rich benefactor either. They've been reasonably self-sustainable through the years.

I don't really care that Evans now spends more time than ever at PR. He's still never visible to the fans. You certainly won't see him in Meppen this weekend and nor will he be on a supporter's coach en-route to Burton next month. That's the kind of owner this club needs to haul it off its knees otherwise we're in danger of becoming also rans (if we aren't already)...

And he doesn't spend more time at Portman Road anyway.

Until he appoints a proper Chief Exec to run the club for him, not in conjunction with him or not being able to make decisions, then we are going nowhere but down

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:48 - Jul 8 with 5412 viewsReuser_is_God

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:46 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

It's not a fortune though, it's a couple of million quid when our income is dropping by £9m. What that money should mean is a bit more leeway in the wage budget and less pressure to sell anyone else.

I'd imagine relegation clauses in players contracts have pretty much covered that £9m.

Our wage bill was circa £18m last year & relegation wage drops ranged from 40-75%

Evans out

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:48 - Jul 8 with 5406 viewsReuser_is_God

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:47 - Jul 8 by portmanking

That's what I don't quite get? I swear our wage bill last season was what, 16 million? If we've given most 45% wage cuts surely that must bring the bill down by 6-7 million overnight? Couple that with Clarke, Mings, Harrison and potentially Webster fees and we may even have generated an income surplus for that 9m black hole. Something doesn't add up...

Indeed...

Evans out

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:49 - Jul 8 with 5404 viewsSteve_M

We might be going further downwards but, yes, this is a club in decline and it's a decline that I can not see how we recover from it at the moment. McCarthy did his job well and refused to criticise Evans directly despite his very obvious frustrations and that allowed too many fans to blame him for the club's reduced stature, plus Evans did an interview which was lapped up of course.

Again, it comes back to a lack of strategic thinking: allowing the first-team manager free-reign over the club only works when that manager is competent and experienced. Otherwise a Keane, Jewell or Hurst is able to do long-term damage in a comparatively short time.

The approach of signing one or two 'good' players per year season (I hope Norwood turns out to be what we hope he is at this level) and leaving gaps throughout the rest of the squad has persisted since the Summer of 2015. It isn't purely about spending money but having a coherent approach to the squad: the indecision about selling Bart and the failure to offer Knudsen a new contract last year are illustrative.

There is still a possibility that a good start, plus confidence and momentum might get us promoted but the glaring gaps in the squad - notably at central defence and up front - mean that we'll still be trying to fit things together for the first couple of months of the season. Nothing that is happening at the moment, suggest the club is ready to overturn the poor form of the last 18 months. And, whilst there are questions marks about Lambert's record so far, the growing discontent aimed at him lets Evans off the hook yet again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:51 - Jul 8 with 5381 viewsSitfcB

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:47 - Jul 8 by portmanking

Not much difference but I think it’s £7 mill in lost TV money.

Gone from £7mill to £700k hasn’t it?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:53 - Jul 8 with 5350 viewsportmanking

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:51 - Jul 8 by SitfcB

Not much difference but I think it’s £7 mill in lost TV money.

Gone from £7mill to £700k hasn’t it?

Actually, you're quite right.

So in fact, we've almost certainly plugged that income hole this year at least?

Factor in the 20% rise in season tickets, is all this designed so that Evans might not even have to put in as much as his usual £6m this season?
We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:54 - Jul 8 with 5342 viewsBiGDonnie

Absolutely.

He's been massively lucky that we have so many youth's we can use for this upcoming season, because if we didn't he'd have nowhere to hide.

It already seems like that unless we bounce straight back, we won't be bouncing at all.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:55 - Jul 8 with 5317 viewsHerbivore

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:48 - Jul 8 by Reuser_is_God

I'd imagine relegation clauses in players contracts have pretty much covered that £9m.

Our wage bill was circa £18m last year & relegation wage drops ranged from 40-75%

I expect the changes to contracts will have saved around £6m to £7m, so with sales and sell on fees we may just have covered the £9m shortfall. That doesn't then mean there's money in the coffers though, that £9m drop is in the context of a club already running at a £6m a season loss. Any money spent on fees will also have a knock on effect on what we can spend on wages. I fully expect at least a couple more signings that will be frees and loans. I don't have an issue with that. If we don't make another signing at all then I'll be very disappointed but it's still early July and the transfer window has nearly 2 months to run for us.

We are going nowhere with Marcus Evans in charge here on 08:55 - Jul 8 with 5322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's naughty for a Monday morning...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024