Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" 10:04 - Jul 8 with 10531 viewsMaySixth

quote : Paul Lambert, July 8th 2019

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:05 - Jul 8 with 4206 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's obviously suffering from a dose of the Micks. #prayforLambo

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:13 - Jul 8 with 4176 viewsartsbossbeard

It's a fair point surely.

What have people seen in the last season to suggest that we're in a position where we could be mentioned as a top 6 team?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:19 - Jul 8 with 4138 viewsfooters

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:05 - Jul 8 by Swansea_Blue

He's obviously suffering from a dose of the Micks. #prayforLambo

I thought McCarthyism died out sometime last century?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:20 - Jul 8 with 4145 viewsitfcjoe

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:13 - Jul 8 by artsbossbeard

What have people seen in the last season to suggest that we're in a position where we could be mentioned as a top 6 team?

I think you can look in the squad and see that there are 5 or 6 players who could easily be one of the very best players in their position in this league if they put a good injury free season together.

Bart
Nsiala
Nolan
Huws
Judge
Bishop

Add someone like Will Keane to that mix too and, again, injury free and it's a very good spine.

The midfield especially - without considering the balance of the players - if Judge, Huws, Bishop and Nolan can all be available to start 35 games next season then their quality will carry us through a lot of games

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:23 - Jul 8 with 4110 viewsMaySixth

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:20 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

I think you can look in the squad and see that there are 5 or 6 players who could easily be one of the very best players in their position in this league if they put a good injury free season together.

Bart
Nsiala
Nolan
Huws
Judge
Bishop

Add someone like Will Keane to that mix too and, again, injury free and it's a very good spine.

The midfield especially - without considering the balance of the players - if Judge, Huws, Bishop and Nolan can all be available to start 35 games next season then their quality will carry us through a lot of games

Our defence is atrocious.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:24 - Jul 8 with 4104 viewsITFC_Forever

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:20 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Bart
Nsiala
Nolan
Huws
Judge
Bishop

And Norwood possibly as well, if he can make the step up to L1.

My main concern is still the one up-front formation and the subsequent lack of goal-threat.
And then there's the defence, or lack of it...

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:25 - Jul 8 with 4106 viewshomer_123

Bart
Nsiala
Nolan
Huws
Judge
Bishop

At this level definately and to be fair even at Championship level.

Here's the thing though....as good as PL has been in sorting stuff off the pitch - we haven't seen anything to really suggest that on the pitch things will be better.

He was brought in to stave off relegation, he failed. We did see marginally better quality football under him than Hurst but that's it - results were no better.

Whilst the squad at this level is arguably better than most in this division, we need to translate that to performances and results and it's here there is a huge, huge question mark.

If you took Lamberts record in isolation - he'd normally be out of a job (I'm not saying he should be just merely pointing out that under other circumstances he would no longer be employed by ITFC).

Cards on the table, if we don't get promoted I can see us languishing in this division for a similar amount of time as the Club slowly declines and declines.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:25 - Jul 8 with 4101 viewschicoazul

I dont see anyone "automatically" thinking that because most of us know who is in charge and what their history is, but it certainly doesnt seem to me to be unreasonable to expect top 6 for Ipswich Town in League 1.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:26 - Jul 8 with 4093 viewshomer_123

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:25 - Jul 8 by chicoazul

I dont see anyone "automatically" thinking that because most of us know who is in charge and what their history is, but it certainly doesnt seem to me to be unreasonable to expect top 6 for Ipswich Town in League 1.

Serious question Chico - what have we seen on the pitch during the last 12 months that suggest top six in League 1?

(By the by - on paper, it's a reasonable squad....but that's on paper).

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:27 - Jul 8 with 4091 viewsITFC_Forever

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:25 - Jul 8 by homer_123

At this level definately and to be fair even at Championship level.

Here's the thing though....as good as PL has been in sorting stuff off the pitch - we haven't seen anything to really suggest that on the pitch things will be better.

He was brought in to stave off relegation, he failed. We did see marginally better quality football under him than Hurst but that's it - results were no better.

Whilst the squad at this level is arguably better than most in this division, we need to translate that to performances and results and it's here there is a huge, huge question mark.

If you took Lamberts record in isolation - he'd normally be out of a job (I'm not saying he should be just merely pointing out that under other circumstances he would no longer be employed by ITFC).

Cards on the table, if we don't get promoted I can see us languishing in this division for a similar amount of time as the Club slowly declines and declines.

There's as much chance, if not more, of us staying in L1 for several seasons than there is going straight back up.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:28 - Jul 8 with 4082 viewscaught-in-limbo

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:19 - Jul 8 by footers

I thought McCarthyism died out sometime last century?

McCarthyism is alive and thriving today. Just replace accusations of ties to communism with fascism and antisemitism for Mc.Carthyism 2.0

http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/the-new-mccarthyism-2017-4

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:28 - Jul 8 with 4081 viewshomer_123

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:27 - Jul 8 by ITFC_Forever

There's as much chance, if not more, of us staying in L1 for several seasons than there is going straight back up.

Oh I agree.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:34 - Jul 8 with 4045 viewsBlueBadger

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:23 - Jul 8 by MaySixth

Our defence is atrocious.

Quite. Kenlock can't defend, Chambers is knocking on now, we have no idea who's going to play RB but there's question marks over both and Nsiala is 'proven in League One'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:35 - Jul 8 with 4028 viewsSomethingBlue

He is quite rightly trying to make sure nobody goes into L1 being all stupid about it. Seems to have failed already.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:39 - Jul 8 with 4009 viewsITFC_Forever

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:28 - Jul 8 by homer_123

Oh I agree.

History, both recent and further back is littered with clubs who think they shouldn't be in L1, but have been....

Wolves
Leeds
Charlton
Sunderland
Norwich
Southampton
Man City
Leicester
West Brom
Charlton
Barnsley
Bristol City
Bolton
Birmingham
Preston

You can add Coventry, Brighton and Portsmouth to that as well, although they have bigger issues going on around them as well.

Some made it back at the first attempt, but others took much longer or are still trying...

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:40 - Jul 8 with 3999 viewsITFCBlues

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:13 - Jul 8 by artsbossbeard

Quite. A side full of young players who have barely kicked a ball in their careers plus a few players over the hill in Skuse/Chambo.

Let's not pretend that this is a massively talented squad of proven players that has the right to romp the league, because it really doesn't

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:41 - Jul 8 with 3984 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:27 - Jul 8 by ITFC_Forever

That's my gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong, but there's just so much wrong about us at the moment.

The one glimmer of hope that we may have just brought in a guy who can fire enough goals to keep us in contention.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:41 - Jul 8 with 3979 viewschicoazul

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:26 - Jul 8 by homer_123

Serious question Chico - what have we seen on the pitch during the last 12 months that suggest top six in League 1?

(By the by - on paper, it's a reasonable squad....but that's on paper).

Nothing. I simply say that it doesnt seem unreasonable.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:42 - Jul 8 with 3974 viewsBlueBadger

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:39 - Jul 8 by ITFC_Forever

History, both recent and further back is littered with clubs who think they shouldn't be in L1, but have been....

Wolves
Leeds
Charlton
Sunderland
Norwich
Southampton
Man City
Leicester
West Brom
Charlton
Barnsley
Bristol City
Bolton
Birmingham
Preston

You can add Coventry, Brighton and Portsmouth to that as well, although they have bigger issues going on around them as well.

Some made it back at the first attempt, but others took much longer or are still trying...

You can Sheffield Weds and Forest to that list as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:42 - Jul 8 with 3972 viewsITFCBlues

Bart
Nsiala
Nolan
Huws
Judge
Bishop

How many of those listed will be on the pitch at the same time? Not to mention, three of those listed have been injury ravaged over the last few years.

Bart was completely shot to pieces last season, is he over the hill?

The squad is massively unbalanced

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:43 - Jul 8 with 3970 viewsBlueBadger

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:35 - Jul 8 by SomethingBlue

He is quite rightly trying to make sure nobody goes into L1 being all stupid about it. Seems to have failed already.

I can help but feel that that sums up his entire approach to the ITFC job.

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:46 - Jul 8 with 3952 viewshomer_123

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:41 - Jul 8 by chicoazul

Nothing. I simply say that it doesnt seem unreasonable.

I can see what you are thinking, it's not impossible but incredibly improbable.

(No subject) on 10:58 - Jul 8 with 3888 viewsITFC_Forever

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:42 - Jul 8 by BlueBadger

You can Sheffield Weds and Forest to that list as well.

Ah yes, knew I'd forget a couple.

And QPR and Cardiff as well.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 10:58]

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:02 - Jul 8 with 3856 viewsGarv

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 10:42 - Jul 8 by ITFCBlues

How many of those listed will be on the pitch at the same time? Not to mention, three of those listed have been injury ravaged over the last few years.

Bart was completely shot to pieces last season, is he over the hill?

The squad is massively unbalanced

Bart is what, 31, 32?

He's not over the hill.

I can't argue with the injuries. For me, anyone pinning hopes on Huws will be disappointed.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

"Why do people automatically think we will be in the top six?" on 11:07 - Jul 8 with 3828 viewstpsontour

We were relegated as one of the worst teams in Championship history, winning 5 games out of 48. From that squad, 14 players have left. Norwood and two keepers have arrived. The defence, which did not keep a single away clean sheet all season, is unchanged apart from Woolfenden's return from a loan. As it stands, I would say a play-off place is the limit of our ambitions and how we get on in a tricky set of opening fixtures could set the tone for the whole season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024