Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right, have I got it wrong? 19:11 - Jul 8 with 4651 viewsROKERITE

Sorry to start a new thread but reading the posts on here, and in particular the rather cryptic replies to my posts on another thread, I need to ask the question.
I was under the impression that although last season was a disastrous one for your club there was much optimism as it ended. I understood Lambert to have connected with the supporters and the form to have improved greatly. I thought there was much optimism that the worst was behind you and that walking away from Portman Road after the final day victory over Leeds you were looking forward already to the 2019-20 season.
Have I misinterpreted the situation in a big way? Are most supporters happy with Lambert?
Genuine question..... on 19:15 - Jul 8 with 3681 viewsBloots

…..why do you care?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:18 - Jul 8 with 3672 viewsBLUEBEAT

Dunno about anyone else but from my perspective the Lambert love-in era has ended.

He was in a make do and mend situation, inheriting a pile of bang average players and a few rough diamonds/promising players.

Relegation was inevitable when come January window, his first and second choice targets didn’t want to come here.

Now the proof is in the pudding. The squad has been slimmed down and I will only judge Lambert on the team’s results. This is his team now.

Poll: W or W

Genuine question..... on 19:18 - Jul 8 with 3668 viewsROKERITE

Genuine question..... on 19:15 - Jul 8 by Bloots

…..why do you care?

I'm a bettor.
Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:19 - Jul 8 with 3655 viewsBlueBadger

We didn't get better., we just started ineffectually tapping it around in midfield for a bit before we lost.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:19 - Jul 8 with 3658 viewsJ2BLUE

Bloots is to blame for my misery. One throwaway line and suddenly the last decade clicked into place and all hope evaporated.

Frankly it doesn't matter if we go up. We are on a downward trend while Evans remains here. He isn't a bad owner but his clear aim is to drive down his required input.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Don't take any notice of me.... on 19:20 - Jul 8 with 3635 viewsBloots

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:19 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

Bloots is to blame for my misery. One throwaway line and suddenly the last decade clicked into place and all hope evaporated.

Frankly it doesn't matter if we go up. We are on a downward trend while Evans remains here. He isn't a bad owner but his clear aim is to drive down his required input.

….I'm a total spunktrumpet.

Well there is absolutely no value.... on 19:21 - Jul 8 with 3629 viewsBloots

Genuine question..... on 19:18 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

I'm a bettor.

….in our price this season.

Avoid it like the plague.

edit: Or lay us, obviously.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 19:22]

Don't take any notice of me.... on 19:22 - Jul 8 with 3622 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't take any notice of me.... on 19:20 - Jul 8 by Bloots

….I'm a total spunktrumpet.

I can't unsee it.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:24 - Jul 8 with 3603 viewsROKERITE

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:19 - Jul 8 by BlueBadger

We didn't get better., we just started ineffectually tapping it around in midfield for a bit before we lost.

You said this on another thread, but you stopped losing as many. You were clocking up 1-1 draws more regularly than we were for a while. I got the impression that there was a real change of mood amongst your support. More than one supporter came on national radio and surprised the presenters by their optimism despite relegation being assured.
Genuine question..... on 19:27 - Jul 8 with 3591 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm a bettor.

If you are trying to find something to justify a bet on us winning the title or going up, you won't. Not at those odds.

Truly impaired.

Well there is absolutely no value.... on 19:28 - Jul 8 with 3586 viewsROKERITE

Well there is absolutely no value.... on 19:21 - Jul 8 by Bloots

….in our price this season.

Avoid it like the plague.

edit: Or lay us, obviously.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 19:22]

I agree that you're surprisingly short. There seems to be pessimism amongst the support at all the top three in the betting. I don't know whether Sunderland and Ipswich will be battling it out at the top of the league but it's a toss up whether there's more doom and gloom on here or RTG, and Pompey fans aren't that cheerful either.
Well there is absolutely no value.... on 19:31 - Jul 8 with 3568 viewsJ2BLUE

Well there is absolutely no value.... on 19:28 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

I agree that you're surprisingly short. There seems to be pessimism amongst the support at all the top three in the betting. I don't know whether Sunderland and Ipswich will be battling it out at the top of the league but it's a toss up whether there's more doom and gloom on here or RTG, and Pompey fans aren't that cheerful either.

Give it a couple of weeks. If we sign 2-3 players, as unlikely as that seems, the optimism will likely come back. Oddly enough, most of us would be delighted if we sold our best player (our keeper) and that allowed us to bring in a decent defender, winger and striker.

Truly impaired.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:31 - Jul 8 with 3563 viewsPJH

Just speaking for myself there still is optimism (and expectation) because I think we have a squad that is better than almost all other squads in the division that we find ourselves.
I did expect Paul Lambert, or anyone else that knew what they were doing, to keep us up last season so purely from a results point of view he is a failure at the moment.
I think that the team and particularly Paul Lambert need a good start to the season which means getting results because the off field feelgood atmosphere surely cannot last too long without the results on the pitch.
Genuine question..... on 19:35 - Jul 8 with 3532 viewsGirthyguy

I'm a bettor.

Bet on us to win the league by 20 clear points. 100 plus points and 100 plus goals. Printing money mate lump on.
Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:36 - Jul 8 with 3524 viewsBlueBadger

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:24 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

You said this on another thread, but you stopped losing as many. You were clocking up 1-1 draws more regularly than we were for a while. I got the impression that there was a real change of mood amongst your support. More than one supporter came on national radio and surprised the presenters by their optimism despite relegation being assured.

We didn't actually win any more or at any time look like making any kind of fight at staying up.

And as for the mood amongst supports, I can only describe it as some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome, a bit like when Keane was in charge. The football was dreadful, results were dreadful and people STILL supported him.
There was lots of talk of 'improved performances' on here because we'd play some nice tippy-tappy in midfield, etc.
It wasn't fun it was horrible, humiliating and demoralising to even think about the next match because you genuinely couldn't see where we were getting a win from.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:37 - Jul 8 with 3532 viewsGuthrum

To give a straight answer to your question, it's not Lambert who has caused the current dark cloud, but the fact that Evans has (apparently to some people's surprise) once again not provided a large pot of money so we can buy loads of expensive players this summer. Which supposedly we desperately need, what with the standard of League One being so much higher than the Championship.

This compounded by a narrow early pre-season friendly loss to a team from the German top tier. With arguably our two best outfield players watching from the stands.

And the Manager failing to declare that we will walk the division with ease, instead trying to manage expectations.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:42 - Jul 8 with 3484 viewsJ2BLUE

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:37 - Jul 8 by Guthrum

To give a straight answer to your question, it's not Lambert who has caused the current dark cloud, but the fact that Evans has (apparently to some people's surprise) once again not provided a large pot of money so we can buy loads of expensive players this summer. Which supposedly we desperately need, what with the standard of League One being so much higher than the Championship.

This compounded by a narrow early pre-season friendly loss to a team from the German top tier. With arguably our two best outfield players watching from the stands.

And the Manager failing to declare that we will walk the division with ease, instead trying to manage expectations.

For someone usually so balanced that first paragraph is complete rubbish.

No one is asking for a 'large pool' of money. We've sold Harrison and received a few million in sell on fees but it increasingly looks and sounds like we are going with what we've got (and maybe one more striker). No one thinks league one is a higher standard but it is quite physical and we could do with a couple more senior players in defence. None of that is asking too much.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 19:46]

Truly impaired.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:50 - Jul 8 with 3426 viewsSpruceMoose

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:42 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

For someone usually so balanced that first paragraph is complete rubbish.

No one is asking for a 'large pool' of money. We've sold Harrison and received a few million in sell on fees but it increasingly looks and sounds like we are going with what we've got (and maybe one more striker). No one thinks league one is a higher standard but it is quite physical and we could do with a couple more senior players in defence. None of that is asking too much.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 19:46]

I hear you. I think there are some outliers who think we should be a big fish in a small pond and Evans should be making it rain, but in the main people on here seem to me mainly concerned with our lack of depth in a few key areas, and are growing worried that we haven't done any business in those areas yet.

Mark these Moose's words. If we don't come straight back up, I fear we are going to replay the last ten years... but in League One and eventually League Two.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:50 - Jul 8 with 3425 viewsROKERITE

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:36 - Jul 8 by BlueBadger

We didn't actually win any more or at any time look like making any kind of fight at staying up.

And as for the mood amongst supports, I can only describe it as some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome, a bit like when Keane was in charge. The football was dreadful, results were dreadful and people STILL supported him.
There was lots of talk of 'improved performances' on here because we'd play some nice tippy-tappy in midfield, etc.
It wasn't fun it was horrible, humiliating and demoralising to even think about the next match because you genuinely couldn't see where we were getting a win from.

Oh well, at least you didn't have a camera crew there to record your humiliation for a six-part Netflix series! Though that was actually quite enjoyable.
Thanks to all who have replied. We'll just have to see what the next three and a bit weeks bring, be that at Portman Road, Fratton Park, at The SOL or the other twenty-one. A defender and a forward and you might be looking a much better bet.
Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:54 - Jul 8 with 3385 viewsJ2BLUE

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:50 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

I hear you. I think there are some outliers who think we should be a big fish in a small pond and Evans should be making it rain, but in the main people on here seem to me mainly concerned with our lack of depth in a few key areas, and are growing worried that we haven't done any business in those areas yet.

Mark these Moose's words. If we don't come straight back up, I fear we are going to replay the last ten years... but in League One and eventually League Two.

I agree. Evans will probably turn the screw further if we don't go up and we'll have an acceptable loss each season a division lower. We'll just have reset. Those clubs outside the top ten in league one which people keep saying aren't very good...we could be one of them if this goes wrong. I know there is plenty of time before the season starts but they are clearly laying the groundwork for what we have being pretty much it.

Truly impaired.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:56 - Jul 8 with 3367 viewsBlueBadger

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:50 - Jul 8 by ROKERITE

Oh well, at least you didn't have a camera crew there to record your humiliation for a six-part Netflix series! Though that was actually quite enjoyable.
Thanks to all who have replied. We'll just have to see what the next three and a bit weeks bring, be that at Portman Road, Fratton Park, at The SOL or the other twenty-one. A defender and a forward and you might be looking a much better bet.

We DID have a lot of smug newspapers telling us 'we told you so' for letting go a manager who'd gone stale in the role though.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:58 - Jul 8 with 3354 viewsSpruceMoose

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:54 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

I agree. Evans will probably turn the screw further if we don't go up and we'll have an acceptable loss each season a division lower. We'll just have reset. Those clubs outside the top ten in league one which people keep saying aren't very good...we could be one of them if this goes wrong. I know there is plenty of time before the season starts but they are clearly laying the groundwork for what we have being pretty much it.

We missed the boat with the Premier League and the gap grew too large. The same will happen with the Championship if we are in League One too long. Even if we do eventually get up we will probably be akin to a Burton or a Rotherham or one of those other yo yo clubs.

I can't see any scenario where we aren't fücked to be honest, barring some kind of miracle where they players we have suddenly become good overnight and carry us to back to back promotions.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Right, have I got it wrong? on 20:00 - Jul 8 with 3341 viewsJ2BLUE

Right, have I got it wrong? on 19:58 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

We missed the boat with the Premier League and the gap grew too large. The same will happen with the Championship if we are in League One too long. Even if we do eventually get up we will probably be akin to a Burton or a Rotherham or one of those other yo yo clubs.

I can't see any scenario where we aren't fücked to be honest, barring some kind of miracle where they players we have suddenly become good overnight and carry us to back to back promotions.

Yea we're fücked. We need a buyer. A billionaire with literally more money than sense.

Truly impaired.

Right, have I got it wrong? on 20:07 - Jul 8 with 3305 viewsmonty_radio

Like fans at any sizeable club there are layers of fans' concerns. When Mick went, most, though not all, had had enough of pragmatism washed down by doctor-knows-best offensives.

The instant change of style, with some neat interplay lifted the mood, but ultimately served only to emphasise how useless we had become because clearly nothing was going to work.

Meanwhile the club/fan interaction barometer had gone from vicious storms to calm, even though, on the field, it was more like becalmed.

We knew that £9 million needed to be saved, but what with 15 or so going, including loans, it was thought by many that the decks were now cleared and that to the 4-5 very promising youths could be added one or two cleverly chosen older hands.

But currently, with £2m guaranteed in sell-ons, and more than that again likely if Bristol sell Webster, this weekend Lambert chooses to state publicly that it's a project with no money and that, if the fans' expectation is one of a season in which we challenge, then what gives them the right to think so.

So we now know that we kick off with some clever footballers, but fear that we could turn out as spineless (in both senses) as we were in May.

In all this, the invisible owner has emerged slightly more often, but armed with platitude rather than plan. He continues to fund our loss, but is unwilling or unable to finance anything that could be called a challenge. The clouds return to the forum as these realities kick back in.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Right, have I got it wrong? on 20:08 - Jul 8 with 3289 viewsSpruceMoose

Right, have I got it wrong? on 20:00 - Jul 8 by J2BLUE

Yea we're fücked. We need a buyer. A billionaire with literally more money than sense.

That's it really. Not only that, we need them to not be crazy, not be flip flopping around all over the place. We'd need them to love us, be committed to us, and be prepared to sink a vast sum of their wealth into us.

May as well be searching for a unicorn.

I tell you, these last 17 years have sealed our fate. We have missed the boat entirely. We could have been something.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024