Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where will we finish this season? 07:14 - Jul 9 with 5801 viewschristiand

Lots of talk about where we will finish this season on various threads, so posted this poll to get an overall indicator of how we are all feeling heading into the new campaign. Apologies if this type of poll has previously been posted, although poster's thoughts might have changed since May!!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/members/christiand/polls/3209/where-will-we-finish-this-s
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 6:58]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Where will we finish this season? on 12:55 - Jul 9 with 2037 viewsNazemariner

It's unrealistic to expect us to go from 10+ years of mediocre performances, to a season of success. Winning is a habit that we do not have.

Might just sneak into the play-offs, which we could win, but 8th to 10th is more likely.

Can't see Lambert making it to the end of the season due to growing frustration at the shackles put upon him by Evans.
Where will we finish this season? on 12:58 - Jul 9 with 2032 viewshammo56

10th, although if we pick up as many injuries as we did last season it will be a lot lower than that.
Where will we finish this season? on 13:23 - Jul 9 with 1998 viewsHerbivore

Where will we finish this season? on 12:55 - Jul 9 by Nazemariner

It's unrealistic to expect us to go from 10+ years of mediocre performances, to a season of success. Winning is a habit that we do not have.

Might just sneak into the play-offs, which we could win, but 8th to 10th is more likely.

Can't see Lambert making it to the end of the season due to growing frustration at the shackles put upon him by Evans.

Your first paragraph is a bit weird. We've been mediocre playing at a higher level where we have one of the smallest budgets. It has no bearing on how we'll fare in a lower division where we have one of the strongest squads and biggest budgets.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where will we finish this season? on 13:39 - Jul 9 with 1984 viewsVaughan8

Impossible to say at this moment as we don't know if anyone is leaving or coming in.

Based on the current players, I can't see any better than playoffs. Last season I thought we would struggle to be in the top half of league one seeing how we were playing and nothing much has changed. Our defence still looks not very good and we don't look overly goal scoring the other end.

I hope i'm wrong and we walk the league.
Where will we finish this season? on 14:01 - Jul 9 with 1964 viewsboysof1981

17th, can’t see a team devoid of confidence, very few wins the last year and a manager who lets be honest failed to improve results suddenly turn into a winning team. Add in that Evans isn’t going to spend, we’re stuck with what we have and possibly a couple of loans, and Bart could still leave.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 14:06]
Where will we finish this season? on 14:19 - Jul 9 with 1951 viewsColchesterBlue1985

11th
Where will we finish this season? on 14:37 - Jul 9 with 1931 viewsHerbivore

Where will we finish this season? on 14:01 - Jul 9 by boysof1981

17th, can’t see a team devoid of confidence, very few wins the last year and a manager who lets be honest failed to improve results suddenly turn into a winning team. Add in that Evans isn’t going to spend, we’re stuck with what we have and possibly a couple of loans, and Bart could still leave.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 14:06]

What makes you think we're going to do so much worse than other recently relegated sides, including a number who were in even more of a mess than us? Most of what you've said equally applied to those sides as it does to us.

Where will we finish this season? on 14:55 - Jul 9 with 1913 viewsActionMan

We should be Champions.

However, this is Ipswich, we will undoubtedly see 5 or 6 key injuries, Norwood will go on a 20 game drought (I jest), we'll almost scrape Playoffs, miss out and the owner will say we were competitive and strip the budget back further for next season.

We need to go up as Champions. We need to bring in a couple of solid defenders and another striker, if we do that and hang onto Bart we'll have a good chance of doing so. Evans has got to get behind the club now and work hard to capitalise of what could be the start of a resurgence. Going up as Champions and winning the FL Trophy at Wembley will reignite the club, see ST sales go up, and us back in the Championship with renewed vigour, vital experience gained for the players and a chance to improve. If we continue with the let's scrape the barrel and pray for the best strategy we'll end up doing more damage than ever.

So here is hoping for some actual ambition from Evans and co for a change.
Login to get fewer ads

Where will we finish this season? on 20:16 - Jul 9 with 1845 viewsbraveblue

Where will we finish this season? on 09:39 - Jul 9 by textbackup

cants see much quality.....

league 1 quality - Nolan, toto, Edwards, norwood, bishop, dozzell, downes, skuse, Jackson, bart, holy, sears

who am I missing?

Did not see much quality from them last season. Why should it happen this season?
Where will we finish this season? on 21:29 - Jul 9 with 1816 viewsKeaneish

Where will we finish this season? on 11:14 - Jul 9 by usm

So we have a

20% chance of automatic promotion
40% chance of the play offs, with a 50% chance of then winning them
40% chance of finishing lower than the play offs

Isn't it a 8.3% of automatic promotion
16.6% chance of the play-offs
16.6% chance of relegation
and a 58.3% of nothingness?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Where will we finish this season? on 22:01 - Jul 9 with 1794 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Where will we finish this season? on 09:33 - Jul 9 by usm

Our "Championship" squad finished bottom, which probably means mid/lower Div 1, using that as a parameter.

I actually think we will do better than that and will finish mid/upper. We should be able to threaten the play offs, but doubt we'll get promoted.

I agree with this. However:

1 we did not have a striker able to put the ball in the net for most of the season. If Norwood can do it at this level that's a big bonus.

2 we were so error-strewn under Hurst we were down before PL took charge. Surely we won't be like that this season? I hope it was something to do with playing with fear or something.

3 we had a terrible season for injuries. Whilst that has been a bit of a pattern for too long, surely we can't have that many again?

4 we had some terrible loans and I don't sense we will dip so much into that market this season. I fancy Woofendon and co to step up more than poor loans did.

5 we got the rough end of quite a few decisions too. I doubt we will as many again this season.

We really need to get some confidence, have players form partnerships and stay fit. If that can happen I am confident we will be top 6. I am looking forward to this season as much as I did last … oh! To be fair, though, there were plenty that were warning our policy of players in would see us struggle. I don't see those predictions from them this time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Where will we finish this season? on 23:19 - Jul 9 with 1773 viewsHerbivore

Where will we finish this season? on 20:16 - Jul 9 by braveblue

Did not see much quality from them last season. Why should it happen this season?

Drum roll.......

...... because we're now in League 1, fella. We don't need to get better because the league we're in is much, much worse.

Where will we finish this season? on 04:02 - Jul 10 with 1732 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Where will we finish this season? on 21:29 - Jul 9 by Keaneish

Isn't it a 8.3% of automatic promotion
16.6% chance of the play-offs
16.6% chance of relegation
and a 58.3% of nothingness?

2 from 10 automatically promoted = 20%
4 from 10 in playoffs = 40%
2 from 10 relegated = 20%
2 from 10 Other = 20%

Or am I missing something?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Where will we finish this season? on 15:48 - Jul 10 with 1662 viewsLeaky

Where will we finish this season? on 16:36 - Jul 10 with 1638 viewsVaughan8

Where will we finish this season? on 04:02 - Jul 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

2 from 10 automatically promoted = 20%
4 from 10 in playoffs = 40%
2 from 10 relegated = 20%
2 from 10 Other = 20%

Or am I missing something?

I'm guessing Keaneish is working it out on the basis of 24 teams, not what Guthrum was posting.
Where will we finish this season? on 16:44 - Jul 10 with 1623 viewsclive_baker

Where will we finish this season? on 16:36 - Jul 10 by Vaughan8

I'm guessing Keaneish is working it out on the basis of 24 teams, not what Guthrum was posting.

Both of course, completely meaningless without any context of the strength of the squads.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where will we finish this season? on 16:52 - Jul 10 with 1613 viewsbaxterbasics

Here's how it plays out.

We'll have a tough first half of the season, will be bouncing somewhere between 12th and 10th come Christmas.

Then Sears gets back to full fitness and scores a boatload of goals,taking us top 6, all set for playoff heartbreak.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Where will we finish this season? on 18:18 - Jul 10 with 1570 viewsTrequartista

Wembley

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Where will we finish this season? on 19:17 - Jul 10 with 1551 viewsbraveblue

Where will we finish this season? on 23:19 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

Drum roll.......

...... because we're now in League 1, fella. We don't need to get better because the league we're in is much, much worse.

So simple!! So if you play really badly you can simply drop a league and become a quality player. Honestly, I do wonder about the mindset sometimes.
Where will we finish this season? on 19:20 - Jul 10 with 1546 viewsHerbivore

Where will we finish this season? on 19:17 - Jul 10 by braveblue

So simple!! So if you play really badly you can simply drop a league and become a quality player. Honestly, I do wonder about the mindset sometimes.

You might want to wonder about your own mindset, fella.

Where will we finish this season? on 19:25 - Jul 10 with 1540 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Where will we finish this season? on 19:17 - Jul 10 by braveblue

Well yeah, that’s basically how it can work, quite clearly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Where will we finish this season? on 19:27 - Jul 10 with 1539 viewsSwansea_Blue

Where will we finish this season? on 13:23 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

Your first paragraph is a bit weird. We've been mediocre playing at a higher level where we have one of the smallest budgets. It has no bearing on how we'll fare in a lower division where we have one of the strongest squads and biggest budgets.

I think it was spot on. We’ve had 10 years of gradual decline, starting off with being more than competitive financially. Our problems are structural, not just to do with relative budgets in the league.

Or to put it another way, ME’s a bit sh*t so it’s perfectly reasonable to question whether he’s going to turn us around.

I hope the drop in standard plays to our advantage, I really do. Not sure it’s a given though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Where will we finish this season? on 19:46 - Jul 10 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Where will we finish this season? on 19:27 - Jul 10 by Swansea_Blue

I think it was spot on. We’ve had 10 years of gradual decline, starting off with being more than competitive financially. Our problems are structural, not just to do with relative budgets in the league.

Or to put it another way, ME’s a bit sh*t so it’s perfectly reasonable to question whether he’s going to turn us around.

I hope the drop in standard plays to our advantage, I really do. Not sure it’s a given though.

Based on recent history there's a clear trend of relegated sides doing well in League 1, I don't see any good reason that we will be significantly different. I think our decline is also somewhat overstated, we finished top half in the Championship in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024