Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan 08:37 - Jul 10 with 2591 viewsunstableblue

.. seems to be a larger scale injury than I had realised.

As in Nolan is with the physios alongside Huws and Sears, more than with the squad. As I understand it from the Sears interview.I think Nolan is a first team starter.

Am sure Sears is being optimistic, but having him back for early 2020 could be quite a boost.

Its quite a midfield, when fit

----------------Skuse/Downes
:---Bishop/Huws------Nolan/Dozzell
---------------Judge/Huws
Edwards/Lankester/Sears
-------------------Norwood

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 08:45 - Jul 10 with 2513 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think he mentioned Huws - wasn't it Gwi (Edwards) and Nolan?

I listened just before I fell asleep last night so may be mistaken

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 08:56 - Jul 10 with 2429 viewsunstableblue

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 08:45 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I don't think he mentioned Huws - wasn't it Gwi (Edwards) and Nolan?

I listened just before I fell asleep last night so may be mistaken

Yes you're absolutely right Joe.

It didn't make sense when I was writing it as Huws had played 45mins!

Disappointing that Nolan and Edwards injuries are keeping them out of pre-season, as goals have been an issue, and I see them as some of our best options to score or supply.

On another note, what do you think on Judge position? i liked a lot about the style and system of passing Lambert employed, and in our 1-1 run of results we really did play some very good people, against good sides. BUT, Judge was clearly not working in those free wider roles, and needs to be in the number 10 position.

I also think Nolan and Bishop are quality but are better in a narrower midfield 4, so I don't quite understand we then employ Edwards or Lankester wide.I wonder if we play 4 in a diamond and then Edwards/Lankester in a free wide role switching wings. Judge does not do well in that role as stated.

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 08:58 - Jul 10 with 2409 views26_Paz

Cracking midfield / attack. I expect Downes to really push on and force Skuse out of the team next season.
If we sign one or two defenders (depending on whether Wolf can step up or not) then we really should be looking for automatic promotion ...

The Paz Man

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 08:59 - Jul 10 with 2409 viewsitfcjoe

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 08:56 - Jul 10 by unstableblue

Yes you're absolutely right Joe.

It didn't make sense when I was writing it as Huws had played 45mins!

Disappointing that Nolan and Edwards injuries are keeping them out of pre-season, as goals have been an issue, and I see them as some of our best options to score or supply.

On another note, what do you think on Judge position? i liked a lot about the style and system of passing Lambert employed, and in our 1-1 run of results we really did play some very good people, against good sides. BUT, Judge was clearly not working in those free wider roles, and needs to be in the number 10 position.

I also think Nolan and Bishop are quality but are better in a narrower midfield 4, so I don't quite understand we then employ Edwards or Lankester wide.I wonder if we play 4 in a diamond and then Edwards/Lankester in a free wide role switching wings. Judge does not do well in that role as stated.

I don't think our full backs are good enough to play a narrow midfield - they really need to be all things to all men to play there and ours are average at best.

I would be looking at some kind of 4231 with Judge central to that 3, and maybe for tougher away games it becomes a 433 with him switching out wide to get an extra body in the midfield if we need to get hold of a game

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:01 - Jul 10 with 2384 viewsitfcjoe

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 08:59 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I don't think our full backs are good enough to play a narrow midfield - they really need to be all things to all men to play there and ours are average at best.

I would be looking at some kind of 4231 with Judge central to that 3, and maybe for tougher away games it becomes a 433 with him switching out wide to get an extra body in the midfield if we need to get hold of a game

Something like

-----------------------Bart----------------------
Donacien--Chambers--Nsiala----Nydam(!)
-----------------Downes---Huws-------------
Lankester-----------Judge-----------Edwards
----------------------Norwood-----------------

Serious options in reserve with Bishop especially.

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 09:06 - Jul 10 with 2327 viewsRadlett_blue

Any detail on Nolan's injury yet? I was hoping he'd be a big player this season?
Edwards also seems to have continual, niggly injuries & he didn't play more than 33 games in either of his 2 seasons at Posh. A pity because he's one of the few wide players who might make a 4-3-3 work.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:11 - Jul 10 with 2276 viewssoupytwist

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:01 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

Something like

I like the look of that, but where could Dozzell fit into that? Back up in case Huws resumes his place on the treatment table?
^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:14 - Jul 10 with 2251 viewsunstableblue

Something like

I really like the look of that formation - albeit a new addition to provide competition to Lankester would seem necessary. But I think Bishop plays the deeper role better than Huws (can't believe I'm talking about Huws even being an option!!)

I like Donacien, thought he was unfairly treated last season given the performances when he actually played right back, he's better than Emmanuel. But agree he is not a player to go forward and given our defensive issues, maybe thats not a bad thing.

Kenlock had two or three very good halves last season, and DID get forward. But understand why people are not convinced. Have no idea how good Nydam is at left back. Another area for strengthening.

Login to get fewer ads

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:20 - Jul 10 with 2196 viewsitfcjoe

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:11 - Jul 10 by soupytwist

I like the look of that, but where could Dozzell fit into that? Back up in case Huws resumes his place on the treatment table?

Yep, I'd say the back up XI in that formation would be something like

-----------------------Holy----------------------
Emmanuel--Woolfenden--Ndaba----Kenlock
-----------------Skuse---Dozzell-------------
Rowe--------------Bishop-----------Roberts
----------------------Jackson-----------------

And its' at this point I realise I have totally forgotten about Nolan....!

Maybe Judge does need to fit in on the left then at expense of Edwards/Lankester as just so many CM options!

^^^^^CORRECTION^^^^^^ on 09:22 - Jul 10 with 2173 viewsGarv

Something like

I think it's more likely to be Skuse and Nolan (if fit) to start against Burton.

Might be wrong. I'd be very surprised if Huws starts.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 09:27 - Jul 10 with 2124 viewsbrazil1982

It's a cracking midfield yes, but unfortunately one that is made of glass.
So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 09:59 - Jul 10 with 1977 viewsKeaneish

If Nolan is out and Huws is utilised from the bench to ease him back in, we still have more than enough good options in Skuse, Downes, Dozzell and Bishop.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 10:10 - Jul 10 with 1895 viewsFreddies_Ears

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 09:59 - Jul 10 by Keaneish

If Nolan is out and Huws is utilised from the bench to ease him back in, we still have more than enough good options in Skuse, Downes, Dozzell and Bishop.

Dozzell played two utterly mouthwatering free-kicks from the right-side into the 6 yard box on Saturday. Perfect lift, real pace and dip. Norwood will thrive on that kind of service.
So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 10:41 - Jul 10 with 1759 viewsfranz_tyson

Not that I expect these kids to make that much impact next season, but does anyone know how long Ben Folami and Ben Morriss are out for?
So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 11:10 - Jul 10 with 1677 viewsKeaneish

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 10:10 - Jul 10 by Freddies_Ears

Dozzell played two utterly mouthwatering free-kicks from the right-side into the 6 yard box on Saturday. Perfect lift, real pace and dip. Norwood will thrive on that kind of service.

Good to hear it. I thought Chalobah had that about it last season. Whether on the move or static he could put a ball in with great trajectory and pace - not that there was anyone to ever get on the end of them.

Despite some of the evident gaps in experience and depth in some areas, i think getting the midfield balance right is PL's biggest issue this season. It must be one of the strongest midfields ever assembled at League One level?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 14:23 - Jul 10 with 1405 viewsGarv

So Sears aiming for November for return.... but Nolan on 11:10 - Jul 10 by Keaneish

Good to hear it. I thought Chalobah had that about it last season. Whether on the move or static he could put a ball in with great trajectory and pace - not that there was anyone to ever get on the end of them.

Despite some of the evident gaps in experience and depth in some areas, i think getting the midfield balance right is PL's biggest issue this season. It must be one of the strongest midfields ever assembled at League One level?

The only thing I would say is it lacks goals. Bar Nolan (and Judge but he's more of an attacker) the central players have never scored many, but that's maybe harsh on Dozzell who hasn't played much and has scored two. Bishop needs to add goals.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 14:24]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024