Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some context around us having 'no money'... 09:27 - Jul 10 with 5159 viewsHerbivore

...and around life in League 1 generally, especially from a financial point of view. The figures are educated guesses but don't look to be miles out. As some of us have said, with our squad and budget we should be aiming for top 6 as a minimum.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/how-will-ipswich-town-s-budget-compare-to-rest-of-l

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:42 - Jul 10 with 3879 viewsbrazil1982

When finances are limited, it's time for excellent coaching of players to come in. Surely that is the sign of an excellent Manager and his team? Is that what Ranieri achieved at Leicester?
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:43 - Jul 10 with 3871 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:42 - Jul 10 by brazil1982

When finances are limited, it's time for excellent coaching of players to come in. Surely that is the sign of an excellent Manager and his team? Is that what Ranieri achieved at Leicester?

The point is that our finances aren't limited at all by League 1 standards. We don't need am amazing coach, a vaguely competent manager ought to have us in the promotion mix.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:47 - Jul 10 with 3853 viewsclive_baker

Anything less than that would be a hugely disappointing season. Really we should be aiming for top 2 with the squad we have, and I'm sure Lambert is internally.

For all the talk of having no money for transfers, it's important to remember the base we're starting from and some of the players we already have at our disposal, which tends to not get spoken about. We've also added last seasons league top scorer to the squad (albeit his goals were in L2). Quite frankly, from the base we have, we shouldn't need a lot of money. A couple of choice additions, perhaps a loanee or 2 and we should be very, very competitive this season.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 9:49]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:50 - Jul 10 with 3840 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:47 - Jul 10 by clive_baker

Anything less than that would be a hugely disappointing season. Really we should be aiming for top 2 with the squad we have, and I'm sure Lambert is internally.

For all the talk of having no money for transfers, it's important to remember the base we're starting from and some of the players we already have at our disposal, which tends to not get spoken about. We've also added last seasons league top scorer to the squad (albeit his goals were in L2). Quite frankly, from the base we have, we shouldn't need a lot of money. A couple of choice additions, perhaps a loanee or 2 and we should be very, very competitive this season.

Completely agree with that. I've seen a quite ridiculous amount of doom and gloom from some quarters, lots of predictions of a bottom half finish. I find it all totally bizarre. We clearly have one of the best squads and biggest budgets in the league, we should be aiming to bounce straight back.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:57 - Jul 10 with 3807 viewsKeaneish

Providing we aren't decimated with a litany of injuries and suspensions throughout the season, we should comfortably be in the top 6 come May. I fail to see how anything less is achievable.

I've definitely got reservations about the quality and depth in certain areas and i'm yet to see anything inspiring in the formation PL persists with but the quality we do have, top 6 should still be a given.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:00 - Jul 10 with 3797 viewsclive_baker

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:50 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

Completely agree with that. I've seen a quite ridiculous amount of doom and gloom from some quarters, lots of predictions of a bottom half finish. I find it all totally bizarre. We clearly have one of the best squads and biggest budgets in the league, we should be aiming to bounce straight back.

I wonder if Burnley got relegated from the Premier League this season, largely kept their whole squad together for next season (or the ones they wanted at least), with no notable departures, if people would be saying they'll finish bottom half in the Championship because they weren't getting their cheque book out.

As you say, we've got one of the best squads, and keeping it largely together is the biggest win in itself. Spending money doesn't = success. If we had have signed Huws and Norwood last week for £1m people would be wetting themselves with excitement.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:12 - Jul 10 with 3742 viewsitfcjoe

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 09:50 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

It's almost impossible to finish outside the top 8 or 9 when you see the lack of quality below that - but hitting the ground running is the key as the top 3 or will be up around 90 points because of the huge gap in quality.

I put two teams out earlier, and it's clear we have basically enough players, just whether Nydam will become a LB, plus a CB required and ideally another striker (Will Keane) but that is about it in reality.

Looking at the numbers Judge will have to fit into that wide left role because just too many central options.

Midfield - 3 from Nolan, Huws, Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Bishop.

Wide players - 2 from Edwards, Judge, Lankester, Roberts, Rowe

It's really going to almost be a case of 1 in, 1 out.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:12 - Jul 10 with 3744 viewsgiant_stow

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:00 - Jul 10 by clive_baker

I wonder if Burnley got relegated from the Premier League this season, largely kept their whole squad together for next season (or the ones they wanted at least), with no notable departures, if people would be saying they'll finish bottom half in the Championship because they weren't getting their cheque book out.

As you say, we've got one of the best squads, and keeping it largely together is the biggest win in itself. Spending money doesn't = success. If we had have signed Huws and Norwood last week for £1m people would be wetting themselves with excitement.

Not trying to put the boot in, but momentum is important too - a losing mentality is hard to break. What else can explain how so many relegated clubs don't bounce right back up when by rights they ought to.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:23 - Jul 10 with 3678 viewsartsbossbeard

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:12 - Jul 10 by giant_stow

Not trying to put the boot in, but momentum is important too - a losing mentality is hard to break. What else can explain how so many relegated clubs don't bounce right back up when by rights they ought to.

Agreed, it's important to get back to winning ways asap next term.

I'm seeing a lot of talk about a top 6 finish, which does seem achievable but a) there's nothing from last season to support this. Nothing. And b) we are THAT big fish that other teams want to beat and will raise their game against. Particularly at PR where effectively there's nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

The importance of a fast start next term can't be ignored.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:24 - Jul 10 with 3666 viewsclive_baker

I totally agree with that. I don't think the biggest threat to our season is the ability of our players, I genuinely think this squad could compete at the Championship level again with 1 or 2 additions. The biggest threat is the mentality and the fact we've forgotten how to take games to lesser sides. We've seen that in the cup too. I said before the biggest signing we could've made this summer is a sports psychologist to get the best our of what we have.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:27 - Jul 10 with 3640 viewsBigManBlue

On paper, our squad should well finish in the top 2. Midfield in particular looks excellent, though I don't want to get carried away with the thought that they'll all be fit at the same time.

As others have said, momentum is key, and I wouldn't be surprised if we take a while to go on a solid winning run - see Sunderland last season with teams totally shutting up shop and being treated every week like a cup final.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:28 - Jul 10 with 3624 viewsGarv

Keeping the squad together is important. This is why I'm a bit peeved we sold Harrison.

Then again, he was probably desperate to go after Norwood joining and Jacket wanting him so much.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:28 - Jul 10 with 3626 viewsclive_baker

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:23 - Jul 10 by artsbossbeard

I'm seeing a lot of talk about a top 6 finish, which does seem achievable but a) there's nothing from last season to support this. Nothing. And b) we are THAT big fish that other teams want to beat and will raise their game against. Particularly at PR where effectively there's nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

When you say nothing from last season...we beat Leeds on the final day. Beat Bolton, draws against Derby, Stoke, West Brom, Bristol City, Forest - all in the final 3 months of the season. We're now operating at a level lower and IMO actually have a stronger squad given Norwood has signed, Huws is potentially on his way back and Sears isn't a million miles away either. We've moved on a lot of crap and hopefully now have a squad that can get together achieve something. Yes we went down last season but I think it's harsh to say there weren't green shoots in the latter stages.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:36 - Jul 10 with 3555 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:23 - Jul 10 by artsbossbeard

Last season is largely irrelevant now to be honest. It makes more sense to look at how other relegated sides have done in recent years. Very few of them could draw on their previous season to give them confidence that they'd finish top 6 in League 1 and yet most of them did. It's a big old gap between the Championship and League 1 and pretty much any side coming down should have expectations of finishing top 6. I don't see why we would be any different.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:40 - Jul 10 with 3514 viewsartsbossbeard

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:28 - Jul 10 by clive_baker

When you say nothing from last season...we beat Leeds on the final day. Beat Bolton, draws against Derby, Stoke, West Brom, Bristol City, Forest - all in the final 3 months of the season. We're now operating at a level lower and IMO actually have a stronger squad given Norwood has signed, Huws is potentially on his way back and Sears isn't a million miles away either. We've moved on a lot of crap and hopefully now have a squad that can get together achieve something. Yes we went down last season but I think it's harsh to say there weren't green shoots in the latter stages.

We went from clueless to semi clued up/semi clueless once PL started to implement his plan but the damage was done by sticking with PH for as long as we did.

I'm extremely optimistic about next season, don't get me wrong. Huws coming back is wonderful and Norwood actually will give us a presence up top, but I'm not for one minute going to work on the basis that this league is ours for the taking.

That's Newcastle fan level of delusion.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:45 - Jul 10 with 3492 viewsReusersTown

In my mind a fit Huws could basically put us on his back and carry us to promotion, as prior to his injury he was a top 6 championship midfielder to me. A miracle though it would seem right now for him to play enough games for that to happen.
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:47 - Jul 10 with 3475 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I think it works a bit differently from the Premiership - teams that come down have invariably entered panic mode round a bout March time of the year they come down and have to significantly slash costs. Generally that means a new(ish) manager, massive turnover of players and the squad resembling a mix of the new, the old and past it and the expensive and doesn’t want to be there but can’t shift, with the teams better players off to pastures new

Championship to League One is nowhere near as dramatic as the drop in revenue isn’t as significant, which I expect is part of the reason relegated sides don’t do so badly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:49 - Jul 10 with 3464 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I know there’s been a few loons but I don’t think there’s many seriously suggesting we’ll be bottom half. I think most are more concerned that we won’t be promoted, given that that really should be the aim

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:19 - Jul 10 with 3360 viewsBluedandy

We should be aiming for top two .... just like Bolton, Blackburn and Millwall have achieved in the very recent past on relatively similar budgets ....

However the original story and now follow up analysis have the slight whiff of a locally manufactured media altercation to provide easy copy on slower preseason news days ...

Paul Lambert knows he won't survive anything less than a top 6 finish but early July is probably not the time to say promotion is in the bag ...
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 11:25]
Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:20 - Jul 10 with 3350 viewsDanTheMan

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 10:49 - Jul 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I know there’s been a few loons but I don’t think there’s many seriously suggesting we’ll be bottom half. I think most are more concerned that we won’t be promoted, given that that really should be the aim

That's where I am. I'm pretty concerned we're not going to finish in the playoff positions.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:20 - Jul 10 with 3348 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suspect the problem we have is although we have a relatively big budget, we also have a relatively big cost base. I'm surprised we haven't let more players go (yet) in order to trim the wage bill more.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:49 - Jul 10 with 3234 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:19 - Jul 10 by Bluedandy

We should be aiming for top two .... just like Bolton, Blackburn and Millwall have achieved in the very recent past on relatively similar budgets ....

However the original story and now follow up analysis have the slight whiff of a locally manufactured media altercation to provide easy copy on slower preseason news days ...

Paul Lambert knows he won't survive anything less than a top 6 finish but early July is probably not the time to say promotion is in the bag ...
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 11:25]

Has anyone actually said promotion is in the bag or remotely similar?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:50 - Jul 10 with 3230 viewsHerbivore

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:20 - Jul 10 by DanTheMan

That's where I am. I'm pretty concerned we're not going to finish in the playoff positions.

How come?

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:52 - Jul 10 with 3213 viewsDanTheMan

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:50 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

How come?

I think our squad is unbalanced and we're heavily relying on younger players being able to fill the gaps. Also injuries haven't been kind to us in recent years and I don't have a lot of faith in Lambert.

I might be entirely wrong of course. Hopefully I am, I'm usually really positive about how we're going to do but I just get the feeling we're on a bit of a Coventry trajectory.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:57 - Jul 10 with 3192 viewsartsbossbeard

Some context around us having 'no money'... on 11:52 - Jul 10 by DanTheMan

I think our squad is unbalanced and we're heavily relying on younger players being able to fill the gaps. Also injuries haven't been kind to us in recent years and I don't have a lot of faith in Lambert.

I might be entirely wrong of course. Hopefully I am, I'm usually really positive about how we're going to do but I just get the feeling we're on a bit of a Coventry trajectory.

I'm kinda on the same lines, Dan.

I've always viewed myself as a positive Town fan in the midst of a lot of moaning but I've got a"Stranger Things" type feeling at the base of my neck about next season and that somehow we'll implode.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024