Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fitness advice 12:58 - Jul 10 with 3707 viewsjasondozzell

Did really well last summer - gym 3 or 4 times a week. Running comfortably for 40 mins or so on treadmill (have a long standing foot condition and find treadmill a lot easier) with slight incline. Hard 15-20 mins on rowing machine too and doing some light weights. Felt good and lost weight.

Kept it going until November and then work and winter got in the way. In my mid 30s and starting to realise ive got to work a bit harder to keep in shape. Want to get back to it this summer. Will rejoin gym as I like it there but just went for light run and ended up walk/running! Depressing how long it takes to gain fitness and how wildly easily it is lost.

Any advice? Feels like being at the bottom of the mountain again. Need to sort diet too but partial to a pint.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

Fitness advice on 13:04 - Jul 10 with 2711 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Probably at least 10 years older than you and changed jobs at the beginning of the year, in my old job I was cycling 16km to work each day and could pretty much eat and drink what I liked and kept my 'sporty' 80kg figure. I also would run or do another ride at the weekend.

New job is too far to cycle (and there is no possibility to shower here) so like you I joined the gym, I managed 2-3 times a week circuit training and then 25-30 mins on the treadmill, I also run 1-2 times a week 10km.

It is amazing how the cycling kept the weight off and although my new regime is getting me in the right direction but certainly no means as effective at the regular cycling.
Fitness advice on 13:09 - Jul 10 with 2689 viewsipswichtillidie

What goes in (your mouth) must come out. Simple as that. Try not to complicate things, you were training enough last year and expelling enough calories to lose weigh but your weak point is on the what goes in part. (Beer 200/300 calories) once the training stopped you were consuming more calories than you were burning hence the weight gain. You could train half the amount and still lose weight if you were eating/drinking right. The most important part about being in what ever shape you want (besides genetics) is what you fuel your body with.

Gav

Fitness advice on 13:12 - Jul 10 with 2662 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Fitness advice on 13:09 - Jul 10 by ipswichtillidie

What goes in (your mouth) must come out. Simple as that. Try not to complicate things, you were training enough last year and expelling enough calories to lose weigh but your weak point is on the what goes in part. (Beer 200/300 calories) once the training stopped you were consuming more calories than you were burning hence the weight gain. You could train half the amount and still lose weight if you were eating/drinking right. The most important part about being in what ever shape you want (besides genetics) is what you fuel your body with.

Whilst I agree 100% I love my beer, so your advice is to give up food? ;-)
Fitness advice on 13:15 - Jul 10 with 2643 viewsTIB

Getting back into the gym / fitness after doing so well and having time off is a tough old slog. I always think if you nail down 3 sessions in quick succession you'll feel great and continue from there...it's just getting back into it and making yourself realise you can do it!!!

I've actually not been into the gym for a proper session in a couple of months as I've been focussing on cardio (running and cycling). Last couple of years I was focussing my time on lifting heavy weights and eating all the protein I could and just got a little too big for my liking...I've now cut down on lifting heavy and as of the last two weeks I've lost 10lbs. In that time I've gone from drinking a few beers 4-5 nights a week to none...had a couple of G'nT slim line tonics at the weekend. Diet really is key...especially the booze aspect...I'd suggest switching your normal beer to something like Away Days beers...I've heard they enhance performance and aid weightloss

But seriously...get back out there, do what did you good before and you'll be back in the zone in no time!!!
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 16:00]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Fitness advice on 13:19 - Jul 10 with 2627 viewsBrianTablet

Your short-term fitness comes back fairly quickly, and the long-term physiological adaptations will still be there.

Read The Chimp Paradox. That'll help.

Then:
1. Enter a race and set up a training schedule.
2. Stick to the schedule as much as possible.
3. Do some Parkruns.
4. Add in some cross training - cycling/swimming
5. Do the race.
Repeat.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Fitness advice on 13:24 - Jul 10 with 2600 viewsipswichtillidie

Fitness advice on 13:12 - Jul 10 by dusseldorf_blue

Whilst I agree 100% I love my beer, so your advice is to give up food? ;-)

Lol, you can still drink beer and keep a healthy weight ;) the average man expels 2500 calories/day naturally. To keep it simple if during the day you only consumed 2400 calories you have gained a calorie deficit of 100kcal. If you maintained this over a period of time you’d eventually lose weight. So drinking a pint of beer everyday isn’t necessarily going to mean you’ll gain weight. Getting the right nutrients aside of course. The dreaded word “moderation” is the key to having the the finer things in life (Ghostship!!)

Edit: a healthy and sensible calorie deficit would be about 500
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 13:25]

Gav

Fitness advice on 13:28 - Jul 10 with 2583 viewsIpswichKnight

Good luck to all trying to get back into shape!

Another one here who a few years back was running comfortably 7/8K three times a week and 10K every other weekend. Got a horrific ankle injury which meant was unable to run for 4 months and have stuggled to get back to that kind of fitness ever since.

Not helped that working shifts makes it really hard to get into a specific pattern and I always found that getting into a good routine really helped. I was following the couch to 10k programme for a good month and had got back to running 5K comfortably only to be made redundant and lost the motivation. Back on the same couch to 10k plan again now to get match fit for hockey season in September.
Fitness advice on 13:29 - Jul 10 with 2576 viewsTractorWood

Sign up to something out of your comfort zone. Train for it and it achieve it. Then repeat. Lack of preparation is a big motivating factor to me to get out and train.

I did the half ironman at Holkham on Sunday. Finishing was an amazing feeling after months of training. Thinking of going full ironman next year.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Fitness advice on 13:31 - Jul 10 with 2566 viewsitfcjoe

I.m with you - did really well previously which culminated in running a half marathon in April 2018. Was able to just turn up for a Park Run and float round in 25 mins and was as fit as I'd been in a long time.

Didn't do enough for too long and I'm basically back to square 1. Also in my mid-thirties.

Have put back on the bulk of the 2 stone I lost too. All my own fault but things have got much harder since having my 2nd little one.

I have joined David Lloyd and using it a lot - in the last week have done a spin class, a Blaze class, had a game of squash with a mate and also swam 50 lengths one evening.

Diet is the key though, I'm still snacking too much and eating bad lunches. I'll get that sorted in the next week or so - encouragingly I went to Cyprus for 2 weeks where I wasn't particularly careful but did a lot of walking and swimming and put on less than a kilo.

What gym are you going to rejoin?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fitness advice on 13:41 - Jul 10 with 2500 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:04 - Jul 10 by dusseldorf_blue

Probably at least 10 years older than you and changed jobs at the beginning of the year, in my old job I was cycling 16km to work each day and could pretty much eat and drink what I liked and kept my 'sporty' 80kg figure. I also would run or do another ride at the weekend.

New job is too far to cycle (and there is no possibility to shower here) so like you I joined the gym, I managed 2-3 times a week circuit training and then 25-30 mins on the treadmill, I also run 1-2 times a week 10km.

It is amazing how the cycling kept the weight off and although my new regime is getting me in the right direction but certainly no means as effective at the regular cycling.

I cycle to work but it's not far. Will definitely try and out on the bike more then!

Did you find it hard to motivate yourself for gym ? Cycling obv was part of your commute- so perhaps easier to fit in?
Fitness advice on 13:42 - Jul 10 with 2495 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:04 - Jul 10 by dusseldorf_blue

And thanks for thoughts! Appreciated!
Fitness advice on 13:44 - Jul 10 with 2488 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:09 - Jul 10 by ipswichtillidie

Yes - this makes complete sense. Think that is a big thing for me to work on. Not at all consistent with diet. As you say was okay last summer, but now everything is sort of magnified because I've been doing less. Will aim to eat more healthily. Thanks for thoughts!
Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 with 2478 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:15 - Jul 10 by TIB

Getting back into the gym / fitness after doing so well and having time off is a tough old slog. I always think if you nail down 3 sessions in quick succession you'll feel great and continue from there...it's just getting back into it and making yourself realise you can do it!!!

I've actually not been into the gym for a proper session in a couple of months as I've been focussing on cardio (running and cycling). Last couple of years I was focussing my time on lifting heavy weights and eating all the protein I could and just got a little too big for my liking...I've now cut down on lifting heavy and as of the last two weeks I've lost 10lbs. In that time I've gone from drinking a few beers 4-5 nights a week to none...had a couple of G'nT slim line tonics at the weekend. Diet really is key...especially the booze aspect...I'd suggest switching your normal beer to something like Away Days beers...I've heard they enhance performance and aid weightloss

But seriously...get back out there, do what did you good before and you'll be back in the zone in no time!!!

Thank you! Think I will follow suit and focus on cardio again. I think you're right about 3 or 4 quick sessions to get back into it.

Will reward myself with an Awaydays or two!
Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 with 2472 viewsOsborneOneNil

Fitness advice on 13:15 - Jul 10 by TIB

That sounds like me. I've been on a strength & conditioning plan for over 2 years, onto fairly heavy weights now......but I know I'm not doing enough cardio, only 1 HIIT class a week, not running or cycling. I'm strong, just feel too bulky!

Diet. I generally do ok, but I am a slave to the weekend where beers and a take away are commonplace.

Also mid 40's.
Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 with 2474 viewstextbackup

I know its easy to say but you need to just make exercising part of your normal day. I've been going to the gym regularly (min 3 times a week) every week since I was 16 (now 34)
just never got out of the habit, whether that be having kids, working long hours, shifts, etc etc. and it helps massively if your other half is of the same mentality, we both just know that i'll finish work at 1500, gym until 1630, I walk in front door and she walks out to get to her 1700-1830 classes...

I eat well, but I am not exactly eating fruit and veg daily, get a fair share in but by no means massively strict with it (if I were to be i'd see a massive difference) but just gyming and burning it off is enough for me.

as the years have gone on I've learnt to just do the exercises you enjoy, whats the point in doing an activity you dislike? I cant stand running, so I bike or row. etc

find what suits you.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 with 2471 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:19 - Jul 10 by BrianTablet

Your short-term fitness comes back fairly quickly, and the long-term physiological adaptations will still be there.

Read The Chimp Paradox. That'll help.

Then:
1. Enter a race and set up a training schedule.
2. Stick to the schedule as much as possible.
3. Do some Parkruns.
4. Add in some cross training - cycling/swimming
5. Do the race.
Repeat.

Will read! Having something to aim for a really good idea. That will def help. Thanks!!
Fitness advice on 13:48 - Jul 10 with 2462 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fitness advice on 13:24 - Jul 10 by ipswichtillidie

Lol, you can still drink beer and keep a healthy weight ;) the average man expels 2500 calories/day naturally. To keep it simple if during the day you only consumed 2400 calories you have gained a calorie deficit of 100kcal. If you maintained this over a period of time you’d eventually lose weight. So drinking a pint of beer everyday isn’t necessarily going to mean you’ll gain weight. Getting the right nutrients aside of course. The dreaded word “moderation” is the key to having the the finer things in life (Ghostship!!)

Edit: a healthy and sensible calorie deficit would be about 500
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 13:25]

It's so much more than just the calorie issue with alcohol. You need to factor in how it affects organs and what that means, how id affects ability to train and recover well, disruption of sleep patterns, etc., etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fitness advice on 13:48 - Jul 10 with 2459 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:28 - Jul 10 by IpswichKnight

Good luck to all trying to get back into shape!

Another one here who a few years back was running comfortably 7/8K three times a week and 10K every other weekend. Got a horrific ankle injury which meant was unable to run for 4 months and have stuggled to get back to that kind of fitness ever since.

Not helped that working shifts makes it really hard to get into a specific pattern and I always found that getting into a good routine really helped. I was following the couch to 10k programme for a good month and had got back to running 5K comfortably only to be made redundant and lost the motivation. Back on the same couch to 10k plan again now to get match fit for hockey season in September.

Injuries are horrible. You just lose all momentum. Get back on the programme and think of how good it will feel when you start hockey season feeling sharp. Good luck!
Fitness advice on 13:49 - Jul 10 with 2450 viewsBigManBlue

Fitness advice on 13:48 - Jul 10 by Swansea_Blue

It's so much more than just the calorie issue with alcohol. You need to factor in how it affects organs and what that means, how id affects ability to train and recover well, disruption of sleep patterns, etc., etc.

I hate that this is true... My wife started a very physical job a couple months back, I've had to halve my intake of pints or risk looking like we're only together because I've got some dirt on her.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Fitness advice on 13:50 - Jul 10 with 2445 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 by textbackup

I know its easy to say but you need to just make exercising part of your normal day. I've been going to the gym regularly (min 3 times a week) every week since I was 16 (now 34)
just never got out of the habit, whether that be having kids, working long hours, shifts, etc etc. and it helps massively if your other half is of the same mentality, we both just know that i'll finish work at 1500, gym until 1630, I walk in front door and she walks out to get to her 1700-1830 classes...

I eat well, but I am not exactly eating fruit and veg daily, get a fair share in but by no means massively strict with it (if I were to be i'd see a massive difference) but just gyming and burning it off is enough for me.

as the years have gone on I've learnt to just do the exercises you enjoy, whats the point in doing an activity you dislike? I cant stand running, so I bike or row. etc

find what suits you.

Yes - building it into routine is key isn't it. I'll just need strict about sticking to it until it feels normal again. Going immediately after work sounds like a good way of doing that. Thanks!
Fitness advice on 13:53 - Jul 10 with 2423 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fitness advice on 13:49 - Jul 10 by BigManBlue

I hate that this is true... My wife started a very physical job a couple months back, I've had to halve my intake of pints or risk looking like we're only together because I've got some dirt on her.

Just pretend you're filthy rich and she's a gold digger!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fitness advice on 13:56 - Jul 10 with 2400 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Fitness advice on 13:41 - Jul 10 by jasondozzell

I cycle to work but it's not far. Will definitely try and out on the bike more then!

Did you find it hard to motivate yourself for gym ? Cycling obv was part of your commute- so perhaps easier to fit in?

Gym I can only do on the way to work or on the way home.

If I go home first I am quite sure I would never be able to motivate myself to go, sounds weak willed but that's the truth.

I really enjoy my cycling and also last year started riding a racing bike
Fitness advice on 13:59 - Jul 10 with 2379 viewsipswichtillidie

Fitness advice on 13:48 - Jul 10 by Swansea_Blue

Oh yes I fully appreciate that but your talking more about drinking to excess here rather than in small moderation.

Gav

Fitness advice on 14:24 - Jul 10 with 2287 viewsKeaneish

I'd find the right balance that suits you between cardio and lifting heavy weight. Heavy weight will burn fat a lot, lot faster than cardio will. You'll also get water retention from cardio more than you will lifting weight too due to the way your body produces cortisol over time.

Balance is key with diet too. If you want to lose weight shift the gluten meals and replace with zero carb, a few Keto diet meals in the evening perhaps? If you can get the balance of this right then it works well and helps sleep patterns. I'd train in the morning too, not the evening. Your body is depleted at this point so you burn fat reserves a lot quicker than if you'd been eating during the day and training at night.

If you want to keep cost down, just get to the park and start doing some basic calisthenics. Its great to strip weight and build muscle as you're lifting body weight in a natural, organic way. A few bars and a bench are all you need.

I've had to lose weight for fights, keep muscle mass whilst maintaining a high level of fitness. Its all about finding the right balance and not burning out and pushing it too hard. Try skipping. Great for cardio!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Fitness advice on 14:51 - Jul 10 with 2207 viewsDurovigutum

Many moons ago I read something that said similar to: in month one of no exercise you lose 80% of you fitness level, in month two 80% of what's left and in month three another 80%. There's so little left that beyond month three it's pointless talking about it. My experience matches those numbers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024