Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fitness advice 12:58 - Jul 10 with 3691 viewsjasondozzell

Did really well last summer - gym 3 or 4 times a week. Running comfortably for 40 mins or so on treadmill (have a long standing foot condition and find treadmill a lot easier) with slight incline. Hard 15-20 mins on rowing machine too and doing some light weights. Felt good and lost weight.

Kept it going until November and then work and winter got in the way. In my mid 30s and starting to realise ive got to work a bit harder to keep in shape. Want to get back to it this summer. Will rejoin gym as I like it there but just went for light run and ended up walk/running! Depressing how long it takes to gain fitness and how wildly easily it is lost.

Any advice? Feels like being at the bottom of the mountain again. Need to sort diet too but partial to a pint.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

Fitness advice on 15:15 - Jul 10 with 952 viewscrunchie1978

Nail your diet and stick to eat for a week b4 you go hard in again exercising like you was.
If you dont you wont have the energy or drive and you'll end up putting yourself off.
Be good all week train hard....have a drink on Saturday.
I TRY to be good all week with diet and training even on a Saturday up to lunch time....then as a reward....as many pints you like....you've earnt it.
Fitness advice on 15:19 - Jul 10 with 947 viewschicoazul

Lift weights brother. 4 big compound lifts; deadlift, overhead press, bench press, squats. Do 5sets of x5 reps for each as heavy as you can comfortably manage.

If you're looking to lose weight, remember you don't lose weight in the gym, you lose it in the kitchen. Find out how many calories a man of your age and size needs to eat and eat 10% fewer per day. Do intermittent fasting on a 16/8 split, Thomas de Lauer on Youtube is your man for this.

When you're out for a drink, srink whiskey or vodka or whatever your poison is as a spirit rather than pints.

Good luck.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fitness advice on 15:23 - Jul 10 with 940 viewsWallingford_Boy

Fitness advice on 13:04 - Jul 10 by dusseldorf_blue

Probably at least 10 years older than you and changed jobs at the beginning of the year, in my old job I was cycling 16km to work each day and could pretty much eat and drink what I liked and kept my 'sporty' 80kg figure. I also would run or do another ride at the weekend.

New job is too far to cycle (and there is no possibility to shower here) so like you I joined the gym, I managed 2-3 times a week circuit training and then 25-30 mins on the treadmill, I also run 1-2 times a week 10km.

It is amazing how the cycling kept the weight off and although my new regime is getting me in the right direction but certainly no means as effective at the regular cycling.

Cycling won't help you lose the middle aged spread, running will.

Basically run.... sorts everything out.

RIP Sir Bobby

Fitness advice on 15:27 - Jul 10 with 931 viewschicoazul

Fitness advice on 15:23 - Jul 10 by Wallingford_Boy

Cycling won't help you lose the middle aged spread, running will.

Basically run.... sorts everything out.

Looking forward to the new season Wallers? Are we going up? No Reading trip sadly this year eh luv.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Fitness advice on 15:58 - Jul 10 with 911 viewsTIB

Fitness advice on 15:19 - Jul 10 by chicoazul

Lift weights brother. 4 big compound lifts; deadlift, overhead press, bench press, squats. Do 5sets of x5 reps for each as heavy as you can comfortably manage.

If you're looking to lose weight, remember you don't lose weight in the gym, you lose it in the kitchen. Find out how many calories a man of your age and size needs to eat and eat 10% fewer per day. Do intermittent fasting on a 16/8 split, Thomas de Lauer on Youtube is your man for this.

When you're out for a drink, srink whiskey or vodka or whatever your poison is as a spirit rather than pints.

Good luck.

Cardio with weights is arguably the best way to get the loss and improve fitness...that said, I'd be more inclined to say he wants to be doing higher reps for weight / fat loss? Moderate weights at higher reps for toning / weight loss. Heavy weights at low reps for mass. That's always been my understanding?

If you do deadlifting...master the technique first because for all its benefits, it doesn't take a lot to hurt yourself doing them.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Fitness advice on 16:08 - Jul 10 with 893 viewsSoleBayBlue

Fitness advice on 13:41 - Jul 10 by jasondozzell

I cycle to work but it's not far. Will definitely try and out on the bike more then!

Did you find it hard to motivate yourself for gym ? Cycling obv was part of your commute- so perhaps easier to fit in?

Easy to make the ride to/from work a bit longer by adding an extra loop or heading off in the wrong direction.
Fitness advice on 16:09 - Jul 10 with 887 viewsKieran_Knows

Fitness advice on 13:46 - Jul 10 by textbackup

I know its easy to say but you need to just make exercising part of your normal day. I've been going to the gym regularly (min 3 times a week) every week since I was 16 (now 34)
just never got out of the habit, whether that be having kids, working long hours, shifts, etc etc. and it helps massively if your other half is of the same mentality, we both just know that i'll finish work at 1500, gym until 1630, I walk in front door and she walks out to get to her 1700-1830 classes...

I eat well, but I am not exactly eating fruit and veg daily, get a fair share in but by no means massively strict with it (if I were to be i'd see a massive difference) but just gyming and burning it off is enough for me.

as the years have gone on I've learnt to just do the exercises you enjoy, whats the point in doing an activity you dislike? I cant stand running, so I bike or row. etc

find what suits you.

Your line about finding something you enjoy is spot on. Around 4 years ago I was very much overweight for my age/height etc. Tried the gym for around a year, running, bike, rowing and just for whatever reason, couldn't get in to any of them at all. Finally my mate asked me to go along and play squash and I haven't looked back since. Came home from Euro 2016 and went on a serious health kick, plus played squash 3 nights a week, for 1.5 hours a time, and within a year I had lost 3 stone.

Over the last couple of years since I've got back to a normal weight, I tend to eat what I want again, but playing squash for 1 or 2 nights a week just keeps the weight off me still, and it's something I genuinely do really enjoy playing. So much better than running/bike for me.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 16:10]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Fitness advice on 16:11 - Jul 10 with 884 viewsjasondozzell

Fitness advice on 13:31 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I.m with you - did really well previously which culminated in running a half marathon in April 2018. Was able to just turn up for a Park Run and float round in 25 mins and was as fit as I'd been in a long time.

Didn't do enough for too long and I'm basically back to square 1. Also in my mid-thirties.

Have put back on the bulk of the 2 stone I lost too. All my own fault but things have got much harder since having my 2nd little one.

I have joined David Lloyd and using it a lot - in the last week have done a spin class, a Blaze class, had a game of squash with a mate and also swam 50 lengths one evening.

Diet is the key though, I'm still snacking too much and eating bad lunches. I'll get that sorted in the next week or so - encouragingly I went to Cyprus for 2 weeks where I wasn't particularly careful but did a lot of walking and swimming and put on less than a kilo.

What gym are you going to rejoin?

Good to know I'm not alone! I think you're right about diet - I've got to be better about avoiding snacks and indulging too much.

Gym is just a small local place. It's good though. Hadn't realised how much I've missed it!
Login to get fewer ads

Fitness advice on 16:12 - Jul 10 with 883 viewsFenoit

Fitness advice on 15:58 - Jul 10 by TIB

Cardio with weights is arguably the best way to get the loss and improve fitness...that said, I'd be more inclined to say he wants to be doing higher reps for weight / fat loss? Moderate weights at higher reps for toning / weight loss. Heavy weights at low reps for mass. That's always been my understanding?

If you do deadlifting...master the technique first because for all its benefits, it doesn't take a lot to hurt yourself doing them.

No, if you're eating at a deficit, you will always lose weight, regardless of what weight and the intensity at which you lift. This weight loss will be a mixture of both fat and muscle, that's why it is best to make sure you're eating enough protein, to reduce the muscle loss as much as possible.

Cardio is all well and good, but it is far easier to just not have that bag of crisps at lunch then it is to run for 20 minutes. I know which one I would rather avoid!
Fitness advice on 16:53 - Jul 10 with 851 viewsWallingford_Boy

Fitness advice on 15:27 - Jul 10 by chicoazul

Looking forward to the new season Wallers? Are we going up? No Reading trip sadly this year eh luv.

Hello hun.

Oddly, I am looking forward to this season more than any in recent years.

No Reading, but Oxford and Wycombe, which is a stone throw away for me.

Oh and yes, we are going up, xx.

RIP Sir Bobby

Fitness advice on 17:47 - Jul 10 with 825 viewschicoazul

Fitness advice on 15:58 - Jul 10 by TIB

There is no such thing as "toning". What you're talking about is basically different forms of hypertrophy but everything you describe will help almost every living person to lose weight get healthier and get stronger. Of course as you start to improve after a few years and if you want to compete in powerlifting tournaments you may need to gain weight which I think is what you mean by mass?

Fitness advice on 17:49 - Jul 10 with 824 viewschicoazul

Fitness advice on 16:53 - Jul 10 by Wallingford_Boy

Hello hun.

Oddly, I am looking forward to this season more than any in recent years.

No Reading, but Oxford and Wycombe, which is a stone throw away for me.

Oh and yes, we are going up, xx.

that's the spirit!

Fitness advice on 18:19 - Jul 10 with 810 viewsbobbyramsey

Exercise is only about 20% of the equation, you'll fare much better and faster with a proper diet (the other 80%)
Fitness advice on 12:14 - Jul 11 with 716 viewsWallingford_Boy

Fitness advice on 18:19 - Jul 10 by bobbyramsey

Exercise is only about 20% of the equation, you'll fare much better and faster with a proper diet (the other 80%)

Not true.

Its all about metabolism.

I do a lot of sport, especially running, but eat crap CONSTANTLY and drink far too much..

But I have a decent body....

I'm also not young.

RIP Sir Bobby

Fitness advice on 12:44 - Jul 11 with 708 viewsbobbyramsey

Fitness advice on 12:14 - Jul 11 by Wallingford_Boy

Not true.

Its all about metabolism.

I do a lot of sport, especially running, but eat crap CONSTANTLY and drink far too much..

But I have a decent body....

I'm also not young.

It is true actually......

Obviously exercise is good but a good diet is better.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024