Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kohli having another blub 20:47 - Jul 10 with 5891 viewsSteve_M

The format isn't fair to India because they topped the group apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/10/virat-kohli-india-bad-cricket-new-

How will the ICC make the next World Cup even more India-friendly?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 20:47]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kohli having another blub on 22:43 - Jul 10 with 1753 viewsGuthrum

Looking at the Indian newspapers, he's getting a hammering in the comments, but more - along with coach Ravi Shastri - for the team selection, with perceived stronger batsmen and bowlers being left out. Also for today's batting order, with most suggesting Dhoni ought to have gone in earlier to anchor the innings (after the collapse) and left Pant and Pandya to hit out later on.

Plus the usual grumbling about too much concentration on (the personally lucrative) IPL.

MS Dhoni was either brilliant or scored too slowly and didn't give Jadeja enough help.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Kohli having another blub on 22:50 - Jul 10 with 1734 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 22:36 - Jul 10 by Funge

'Judging people of a different culture by another culture's standards is stupid' - no, it's normal.

People of every culture, everywhere, will judge others by the inherent standards by which they have been culturally raised.

This is fundamental to the whole concept of culture (apologies if that's appears to be all rather navel-gazing).

I'm not sure if the stereotypes referenced within your second paragraph can be considered specific to our 'culture', or any others.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 22:38]

'Judging people of a different culture by another culture's standards is stupid' - no, it's normal.

Okay. But as normal as it is for you, I think it's stupid. Kohli's first language is Hindi and he also speaks Indian English. People's second languages generally lack the finesse and subtleties required to express all their feelings, emotions and tact.

Analysing an athlete's character after a disappointing exit from a big competition when not speaking his first language is harsh in the extreme.

Fine if you don't like his public persona though, but understand it's difficult to really show your true self when speaking a second language, even one you speak very well.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 23:00]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Kohli having another blub on 00:58 - Jul 11 with 1689 viewsstonojnr

Kohli having another blub on 22:17 - Jul 10 by Gogs

Everything the ICC do in tournaments is done with the aim of seeing India do well in them.
In this WC:
Fixtures in this tournament - give them an extra week off because of the IPL, despite all other teams having loads of their players in the IPL.
Pitches - largely prepared to be slowing pitches which have a fair bit in them for the bowlers, including spinners. Not complaining about this too much as it's made for some cracking games - but has favoured the team batting first a bit too much.
The 10 team round robin group stage - done to help prevent an early exit for India like 2007

I understand they're the biggest audience by far but their arrogance and sense of entitlement is breathtaking at times. It's a World Cup, not the India show. And their commentators are ridiculously biased. The likes of Simon Doull and Ian Smith from NZ are much more balanced. I'll forgive Smithy his 'Is that the World Cup?' yell when Guptill ran out Dhoni today. Well done NZ, pretty much all of the rest of World cricket was behind you today.

not just that, they delayed Indias first game in the tournament to coincide with an Indian public holiday and nearly all the games have been day games, instead of a mix of day & day/night games as you might have expected in England, because the games then finish generally at around 10pm/11pm IST.

as for the ticketing fiasco, the head of the ICC actually claimed on TMS Indian fans were " just desperate to get the tickets so they'd be up early to get calls in, and just more hungry perhaps than some of the England fansup with so many tickets, because they were clearly more interested..."

it was a ticket ballot, it didnt matter when or how you applied or how early you "got calls in", you were all supposed to have the same chance of getting a ticket if you applied.
Kohli having another blub on 02:14 - Jul 11 with 1675 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Kohli having another blub on 21:27 - Jul 10 by Funge

As much as I particularly dislike the current Aussie team, the Indian arrogance has grated during the entire tournament, and, indeed, in the whole lead-up.

Rohit is arguably batsman of the tournament; Bumrah is one hell of a bowler, and Kohli is something else altogether.

And yet, a difficult team to like.

Am in broad agreement with you that the ICC will manufacture further ways to ensure that India go deep into the next World Cup. All a bit pointless, once people start loading the dice....

India were great, super team. Shame they failed to make the final, India v England would have been a classic.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Kohli having another blub on 05:36 - Jul 11 with 1638 viewsBrianTablet

Sport is far too unpredictable and leaves itself open to shocks and surprises. This must be eliminated in the interests of financial development. Otherwise, all we're left with is pure drama and absorbing theatre, and who wants that?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Kohli having another blub on 08:48 - Jul 11 with 1595 viewsSteve_M

Kohli having another blub on 22:18 - Jul 10 by caught-in-limbo

"You've not heard the Indian commentators during their matches I take it? "

No, I haven't. That's true.

But I've heard Spanish, French, Italian, many South American countries and English commentators during national football matches and surprise, surprise they're all biased. If you're a keen fan of one country, the bias shown by other countries' commentators seem really over the top and quite ugly, but it's the same for all sides.

The English banging on about their best league in the world (football) probably grates for many other countries like the Indians' banging on about their cricketing prowess.

Anyway, I find it ugly to judge others from different cultures by our own cultural standards.

There is being partisan and then there is being so one-eyed as to not to have any coherent view of what is happening. I thought Shane Warne was bad.

Was Kohli's blubbing about the short boundary after India lost to England just a cultural misunderstanding too?

And the Premier League hype machine is equally tedious.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kohli having another blub on 09:10 - Jul 11 with 1580 viewsfranz_tyson

Everyone knows the format before the tournament started and it’s also there to give a bit of security to the better teams. Kohli shouldn’t complain too much.
He mentions 45 minutes of madness which decided the result, but that wasn’t the case - Dhoni and Jadeja nearly pulled it off. It was a great game and NZ held their nerve. If there’s no risk of losing - why even have a tournament?
Kohli having another blub on 09:34 - Jul 11 with 1567 viewsMaySixth

He will be telling the paying cricket fans what not to do at grounds next

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

Kohli having another blub on 10:14 - Jul 11 with 1547 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 08:48 - Jul 11 by Steve_M

There is being partisan and then there is being so one-eyed as to not to have any coherent view of what is happening. I thought Shane Warne was bad.

Was Kohli's blubbing about the short boundary after India lost to England just a cultural misunderstanding too?

And the Premier League hype machine is equally tedious.

"Was Kohli's blubbing about the short boundary after India lost to England just a cultural misunderstanding too? "

I'm not sure Kohli's short boundary comments could be called a blub. From what I read (Stokie's link?) I think that the journalist manufactured a blub out of his comments. That said, I haven't seen any video of the interview. If you have, I'd appreciate a link, I'm happy to call it a blub if it really was.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 10:19]

#toxic

Kohli having another blub on 10:18 - Jul 11 with 1534 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 09:34 - Jul 11 by MaySixth

He will be telling the paying cricket fans what not to do at grounds next

Asking Indian fans not to boo an opposing captain was more an act of sportsmanship than an act of self-importance. Anyway, people will read it according to how the media presents it.

#toxic

Kohli having another blub on 10:29 - Jul 11 with 1518 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Kohli having another blub on 10:14 - Jul 11 by caught-in-limbo

"Was Kohli's blubbing about the short boundary after India lost to England just a cultural misunderstanding too? "

I'm not sure Kohli's short boundary comments could be called a blub. From what I read (Stokie's link?) I think that the journalist manufactured a blub out of his comments. That said, I haven't seen any video of the interview. If you have, I'd appreciate a link, I'm happy to call it a blub if it really was.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 10:19]

I can’t find a video but from a quick Google, the comments are all reported the same verbatim by the BBC, press in NZ and the Indian Express:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/cricket/48820832

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/113897276/cricket-world-cu

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket-world-cup/virat-kohli-india-vs-

I guess it then boils down to whether you think randomly highlighting the boundary size, making an inference that it was deliberate and commenting about not being able to stop the opposition hitting sixes on it despite not being able to do so yourselves is a blub or not

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Kohli having another blub on 11:04 - Jul 11 with 1504 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 10:29 - Jul 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I can’t find a video but from a quick Google, the comments are all reported the same verbatim by the BBC, press in NZ and the Indian Express:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/cricket/48820832

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/113897276/cricket-world-cu

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket-world-cup/virat-kohli-india-vs-

I guess it then boils down to whether you think randomly highlighting the boundary size, making an inference that it was deliberate and commenting about not being able to stop the opposition hitting sixes on it despite not being able to do so yourselves is a blub or not

Lots of identical quotes. No video evidence as far as I can see either.
The only video I can find is Rohit's balanced view:

I guess it then boils down to whether you want to dislike someone or not in a tournament which has been absolutely brilliant marked by great sportsmanship by all captains and players.

England are currently making Australia look like India. Wow. 18/3

#toxic

Kohli having another blub on 11:47 - Jul 11 with 1482 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Kohli having another blub on 11:04 - Jul 11 by caught-in-limbo

Lots of identical quotes. No video evidence as far as I can see either.
The only video I can find is Rohit's balanced view:

I guess it then boils down to whether you want to dislike someone or not in a tournament which has been absolutely brilliant marked by great sportsmanship by all captains and players.

England are currently making Australia look like India. Wow. 18/3

Are you claiming all those publications made those quotes up? I’m sure the India Express have a vested interest in pushing an agenda against Kohli

Kohli having another blub on 12:04 - Jul 11 with 1471 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 11:47 - Jul 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Are you claiming all those publications made those quotes up? I’m sure the India Express have a vested interest in pushing an agenda against Kohli

Not at all.

i just prefer to "see" how he made those comments and in answer to what questions. It's very easy to take a comment or two out of context and manufacture a blub in the papers. Don't you think it's interesting that for such a monumental blub, there's no video evidence?

#toxic

Kohli having another blub on 12:16 - Jul 11 with 1460 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Kohli having another blub on 12:04 - Jul 11 by caught-in-limbo

Not at all.

i just prefer to "see" how he made those comments and in answer to what questions. It's very easy to take a comment or two out of context and manufacture a blub in the papers. Don't you think it's interesting that for such a monumental blub, there's no video evidence?

Not really no, not everything is recorded quite clearly

Kohli having another blub on 13:36 - Jul 11 with 1443 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 12:16 - Jul 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not really no, not everything is recorded quite clearly

Must have been a rant by Virat in the carpark then. Lucky there were so many journos there to catch his views so accurately.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 13:38]

#toxic

Kohli having another blub on 13:43 - Jul 11 with 1440 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Kohli having another blub on 13:36 - Jul 11 by caught-in-limbo

Must have been a rant by Virat in the carpark then. Lucky there were so many journos there to catch his views so accurately.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 13:38]

So you are suggesting that publications from the UK, New Zealand and India have all madeup the same quotes then

Why didn’t you just say that in the first place?

Kohli having another blub on 14:41 - Jul 11 with 1424 viewscaught-in-limbo

Kohli having another blub on 13:43 - Jul 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So you are suggesting that publications from the UK, New Zealand and India have all madeup the same quotes then

Why didn’t you just say that in the first place?

I'm not saying that. If journalists all have the same quote, it means one of two things:

a) he said exactly those things and the different journalists all reported what he said verbatim or
b) one journalist reported it / manufactured it and others copied it

Both are equally plausible.

But journalists are quite good at putting words into people's mouths, that's why it would be interesting to see the interview. But it appears a formal (with cameras) interview didn't happen. Which is a shame because it looks more like option b).

Journalist in exaggerated story shocker!

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024