Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) 21:45 - Jul 10 with 4458 viewsSmithersJones

Is there any statistical evidence that this is true? By which I mean more vital than any other group of games.
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:46 - Jul 10 with 4449 viewsSuperblue95

I wouldn’t read anything into it. Footballers coming out with cliches is hardly uncommon

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:50 - Jul 10 with 4442 viewsfactual_blue

There are probably more vital in a psychological sense than anything else.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:52 - Jul 10 with 4438 viewsPJH

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:50 - Jul 10 by factual_blue

and with keeping the left over feelgood atmosphere from last season because I do not know how long it will last if we actually have a 'bad' start to the season.
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:54 - Jul 10 with 4434 viewsfactual_blue

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:52 - Jul 10 by PJH

and with keeping the left over feelgood atmosphere from last season because I do not know how long it will last if we actually have a 'bad' start to the season.

What leftover feelgood atmosphere?

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:56 - Jul 10 with 4427 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably more so for us as we were so bad last season and need to get a few wins under our belt.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:59 - Jul 10 with 4414 viewsPJH

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:54 - Jul 10 by factual_blue

What leftover feelgood atmosphere?

Everybody was relatively happy at and after the Leeds game weren't they?

I doubt if a clubs support have ever gone down into the third division in such a happy mood.

From Paul Lambert's point of view we need a good start although considering results it is really amazing that he still seems to have the support of the majority(myself included, which is also amazing).
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 22:02 - Jul 10 with 4408 viewsDubtractor

I think most leagues start to take a pretty consistent shape after 10 games. If you're not in the top bunch by that point, then you're relying on being that team that makes a major surge later in the season.

Villa did it last year, not many do.

For all the talk of Norwich coming from a poor start, they were 5th after 10 games, only 3 points off top.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 22:31 - Jul 10 with 4334 viewsGuthrum

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:50 - Jul 10 by factual_blue

Morale perhaps more specifically.

Once stuck in a mentality of being behind and having to mount a fightback, adds a lot of extra pressure. Each little mistake and opportunity missed becomes magnified into a big problem. People become very aware of the clock ticking, the ever-reducing time available to turn things around. You're always struggling, on the back foot, deprived of the initiative.

Whereas having got off to a flyer, everyone can relax a little, knowing that cushion is there for the inevitable setbacks. You're ahead of the game. That carries its own risks, of losing concentration or becoming sloppy, but reasonable self discipline and leadership will overcome that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 22:34 - Jul 10 with 4325 viewsHARRY10

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 22:02 - Jul 10 by Dubtractor

I think most leagues start to take a pretty consistent shape after 10 games. If you're not in the top bunch by that point, then you're relying on being that team that makes a major surge later in the season.

For all the talk of Norwich coming from a poor start, they were 5th after 10 games, only 3 points off top.

At ten games 3 points is not much as if that form continued they would be 13/14 points off at the end of the season. They struggled early on and at PR looked nothing special.

Sure, every point adds up at the end of the season but for this season it will be vital that we don't see yet another run of injuries across the squad.

I shan't be too bothered if it takes as a few games to get used to what will be a more physical game, but here's hoping the players can start to find their feet and pick up points on a regular basis.

Grinding out results consistently is what is needed.
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 22:36 - Jul 10 with 4321 viewspatrickswell

The thing with Norwich was though that they started to win games from September onwards and they didn’t stop.

The challenge Lambert has is to try and reverse the non-winning mentality that hung over us last season. I hope he can do it, but he’ll need to buck the trend of his own poor results over the last couple of years too.
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 23:10 - Jul 10 with 4286 viewsfactual_blue

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:59 - Jul 10 by PJH

Everybody was relatively happy at and after the Leeds game weren't they?

I doubt if a clubs support have ever gone down into the third division in such a happy mood.

From Paul Lambert's point of view we need a good start although considering results it is really amazing that he still seems to have the support of the majority(myself included, which is also amazing).

I haven't been happy since Marcus Evans made it abundantly clear he no longer values my support.

Which he no longer has.

balls

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 08:33 - Jul 11 with 4012 viewsBlueBadger

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:52 - Jul 10 by PJH

We'll never see those heady days of breathlessly waiting to see the 20 minutes of aimless tip-tapping before losing 2-0 ever again!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 08:41 - Jul 11 with 3993 viewsPJH

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 08:33 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

We'll never see those heady days of breathlessly waiting to see the 20 minutes of aimless tip-tapping before losing 2-0 ever again!

I am amazing myself by still being supportive of Paul Lambert despite the very poor results but time must be running out for him with myself and others for him to start getting the results right.
Maybe we have been brainwashed because we have been through a period where we seem to have come to believe that results do not matter although I think I went through that period believing that results would eventually come right, they didn't.

God I miss a beautiful backs to the wall 1-0 away win.
“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 08:47 - Jul 11 with 3978 viewsITFC_Forever

We did it several times under Burley... especially in 1997-98, the season we signed David Johnson.
We were lower mid-table, then the signing of Johnno was the catalyst for what was to come over the next 4-5 seasons.

One of our most important signings in the last 25 years.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:02 - Jul 11 with 3952 viewsunstableblue

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 21:56 - Jul 10 by J2BLUE

Probably more so for us as we were so bad last season and need to get a few wins under our belt.

Absolutely we need to break the lack of wins cycle, and lingering doubts about our ability. Goals and 3 points early on will heal the team and players, and give Lambert confidence in his system and abilities.

I would challenge the “we were so bad” label though. I was listening to the blue Monday season review (last third of the season instalment), and it reminded just how well we actually played during that series of 1-1 draws, some great football, we just couldn’t score.

Any key reason for success in those early vital games is Norwood. There will always be a massive question mark as to whether he can step up in league and club, a goal drought from him and we simply won’t progress. Goals early from our new striker and we’ll be winning those early vital games.

If we don’t start winning until AFC Wimbledon then that’s OK.... but 9 points from those early vital August league games (18 points on offer) is essential in my mind

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:24 - Jul 11 with 3924 viewsGarv

In our case I think it's true. We've lost games consistently for a season, if we go into the new season doing the same we might struggle to recover. We need to break the losing habit.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:25 - Jul 11 with 3923 viewsDanTheMan

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:02 - Jul 11 by unstableblue

Absolutely we need to break the lack of wins cycle, and lingering doubts about our ability. Goals and 3 points early on will heal the team and players, and give Lambert confidence in his system and abilities.

I would challenge the “we were so bad” label though. I was listening to the blue Monday season review (last third of the season instalment), and it reminded just how well we actually played during that series of 1-1 draws, some great football, we just couldn’t score.

Any key reason for success in those early vital games is Norwood. There will always be a massive question mark as to whether he can step up in league and club, a goal drought from him and we simply won’t progress. Goals early from our new striker and we’ll be winning those early vital games.

If we don’t start winning until AFC Wimbledon then that’s OK.... but 9 points from those early vital August league games (18 points on offer) is essential in my mind

"some great football, we just couldn’t score."

Some say scoring goals is important to being good at football.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:32 - Jul 11 with 3901 viewsunstableblue

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:25 - Jul 11 by DanTheMan

"some great football, we just couldn’t score."

Some say scoring goals is important to being good at football.

You need both to truly prosper and to win fans over and get into the ground and bought into a managers project.

It was a lack of a striker that didn’t allow us to covert the good play into wins.
We created the chances.

When our ultimately unsuccessful Huddersfield loanee put his shooting boots on he converted two quite difficult chances.

That’s why Norwood is so critical.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:44 - Jul 11 with 3886 viewsBlueBadger

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 08:41 - Jul 11 by PJH

I am amazing myself by still being supportive of Paul Lambert despite the very poor results but time must be running out for him with myself and others for him to start getting the results right.
Maybe we have been brainwashed because we have been through a period where we seem to have come to believe that results do not matter although I think I went through that period believing that results would eventually come right, they didn't.

God I miss a beautiful backs to the wall 1-0 away win.

I just miss wins, of any kind, full stop.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:46 - Jul 11 with 3877 viewstextbackup

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:44 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

I just miss wins, of any kind, full stop.

You miss wins draws and loses, because you don't attend

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:50 - Jul 11 with 3867 viewsITFC_Forever

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:24 - Jul 11 by Garv

In our case I think it's true. We've lost games consistently for a season, if we go into the new season doing the same we might struggle to recover. We need to break the losing habit.

We've been consistently losing games for longer than a season.... the rot really set in around Christmas 2017.
One goal at home in eleven games or something daft in the second half of 2017-18.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 10:38 - Jul 11 with 3830 viewsBlueBadger

“The first few games are vital” (Lankester) on 09:46 - Jul 11 by textbackup

You miss wins draws and loses, because you don't attend

I normally aim for 5-10 a season working pattern and finances depending. I stopped going earlier than usual last season(2 attendances in) because we weren't winning and I couldn't see where a win was coming from. Boro at home was the last straw. I didn't start going again because we never started winning again.

I don't understand why people stuck around for the whole season if they didn't have a ST.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 10:47]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024