Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brentford model works again.... 08:44 - Jul 11 with 4771 viewsITFC_Forever

....Buy for £2.5m, sell for £12m. And repeat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48947281
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 8:47]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:57 - Jul 11 with 827 viewsElderGrizzly

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:53 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

True, although I think if people could see that the club was following some kind of model, it wouldn't necessarily be looked upon as Evans pocketing the money. But that's another discussion for another day!

I think it's a fine line. As someone mentioned above, Brentford almost have a £2m head start every summer due to them not having an academy, but then who's to say we don't have someone come through the academy who is the eventually worth £10m+?

Right now, keeping the academy feels a heart decision, whereas a Brentford approach feels a head decision.

Better risk/reward from their model imo
The Brentford model works again.... on 10:57 - Jul 11 with 827 viewsBloomBlue

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:50 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

Agree with all your and SWGF’s points, I was just picking up on the reaction here and elsewhere if we consistently followed that £20m in £6m out model.

Brentford have got it exactly right, but at the expense of ditching the academy. Do we plough the £2m a year from the academy into scouting instead?

One of my friends is a life long Brentford fan and he has always made that point, once they closed the academy they used that money saved to improve their scouting network.

However his main disappointment with the model is they always sell their best players and have to start again, so while they make money he cannot see them winning promotion because of that approach.
The Brentford model works again.... on 11:04 - Jul 11 with 817 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:57 - Jul 11 by BloomBlue

One of my friends is a life long Brentford fan and he has always made that point, once they closed the academy they used that money saved to improve their scouting network.

However his main disappointment with the model is they always sell their best players and have to start again, so while they make money he cannot see them winning promotion because of that approach.

Seems a bit greedy - outside of their current spell Brentford have only spent one season in the second division since the 50’s. Indeed the last 5 seasons are their best 5 seasons in the past 70 years

It should surely be argued therefore that they already have achieved promotion, and are currently punching well above their natural level as a result of that strategy

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The Brentford model works again.... on 11:08 - Jul 11 with 812 viewschicoazul

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:02 - Jul 11 by SWGF

Can't remember which podcast it was that I was listening to the other day....maybe Not The Top 20?

Anyhow, they were going through the figures of the last half a dozen years.
Basically sales were ~£20m each year and purchases were £5-6m, and repeat.

Properly reinvesting and therefore seeing proper ROI.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:02]

BuT WageS arE REINvestinG

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Brentford model works again.... on 12:58 - Jul 11 with 772 viewsPilgrimblue

I don't know where they recruit from but it works. So many in the past have been sold and they've still got leading goal scorer (I think).
I know it's easy to say but we need to widen our search. That was always my moan about MM and Eire. Yes he did get some good ones through his ntwork so hope that maybe PL can be just as successful.
The Brentford model works again.... on 14:25 - Jul 11 with 742 viewsitfcjoe

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:53 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

True, although I think if people could see that the club was following some kind of model, it wouldn't necessarily be looked upon as Evans pocketing the money. But that's another discussion for another day!

I think it's a fine line. As someone mentioned above, Brentford almost have a £2m head start every summer due to them not having an academy, but then who's to say we don't have someone come through the academy who is the eventually worth £10m+?

And one of their academy players, Chris Mepham, was sold for £12m or so.

If we folded the academy the £2m wouldn't go to anything - that's the difference

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Brentford model works again.... on 14:26 - Jul 11 with 739 viewsKieran_Knows

The Brentford model works again.... on 14:25 - Jul 11 by itfcjoe

And one of their academy players, Chris Mepham, was sold for £12m or so.

If we folded the academy the £2m wouldn't go to anything - that's the difference

Your last sentence, spot on. Without having that structure/scouting system in place, it would be pointless.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Brentford model works again.... on 14:28 - Jul 11 with 735 viewsitfcjoe

The Brentford model works again.... on 11:04 - Jul 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Seems a bit greedy - outside of their current spell Brentford have only spent one season in the second division since the 50’s. Indeed the last 5 seasons are their best 5 seasons in the past 70 years

It should surely be argued therefore that they already have achieved promotion, and are currently punching well above their natural level as a result of that strategy

I can see frustration but they seemed to have learned from previous summers this year and are doing their business early.

TOo often they held on to best players until end of window to get a better price and it would balls up their start to the season. They'd always finish well and end up within touching distance of play offs without ever looking like they'd make it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The Brentford model works again.... on 17:47 - Jul 11 with 689 viewsstrikalite

The Brentford model works again.... on 12:58 - Jul 11 by Pilgrimblue

I don't know where they recruit from but it works. So many in the past have been sold and they've still got leading goal scorer (I think).
I know it's easy to say but we need to widen our search. That was always my moan about MM and Eire. Yes he did get some good ones through his ntwork so hope that maybe PL can be just as successful.

I've no idea why a Club in our situation hasn't a European scouting network out there searching for talent, never understood it, so envious of what Brentford are, lovely footballing side, they obviously have decent scouts with an eye for a player..
The Brentford model works again.... on 18:49 - Jul 11 with 670 viewschristiand

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:52 - Jul 11 by JimmyJazz

With the key being - buy for 2.5 million

It must be frustrating for the fans though, constantly seeing players develop - a few at the same time results in a decent team - only to see it constantly be unassembled and they have to start again. One or two poor 2.5 million purchases and the whole thing falls apart

The fact is they've got people in the club that do their research on players not just how they play, their home life, personality, mentality etc.. they just don't take a punt and hope they come good.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 18:51]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024