Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brentford model works again.... 08:44 - Jul 11 with 4769 viewsITFC_Forever

....Buy for £2.5m, sell for £12m. And repeat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48947281
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 8:47]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:45 - Jul 11 with 3932 viewsKieran_Knows

Them and Peterborough really do have it to a tee. Whilst it may not bring them massive success on the pitch (although they do play good football), at least it means they are sustainable as a club and probably (although I don't know this for sure) aren't so reliant on the owner to pump money in to keep the club afloat every season.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:50 - Jul 11 with 3884 viewsxrayspecs

Mings - £10k >>£ms
Waghorn
Garner
Webster
Moore...
The Brentford model works again.... on 08:52 - Jul 11 with 3866 viewsJimmyJazz

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:45 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

Them and Peterborough really do have it to a tee. Whilst it may not bring them massive success on the pitch (although they do play good football), at least it means they are sustainable as a club and probably (although I don't know this for sure) aren't so reliant on the owner to pump money in to keep the club afloat every season.

With the key being - buy for 2.5 million

It must be frustrating for the fans though, constantly seeing players develop - a few at the same time results in a decent team - only to see it constantly be unassembled and they have to start again. One or two poor 2.5 million purchases and the whole thing falls apart

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 with 3847 viewsKieran_Knows

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:52 - Jul 11 by JimmyJazz

It must be frustrating for the fans though, constantly seeing players develop - a few at the same time results in a decent team - only to see it constantly be unassembled and they have to start again. One or two poor 2.5 million purchases and the whole thing falls apart

True, but it does feel different with Brentford. They seem to have a proper scouting system in place, which tends to be more right, than wrong (although their Danish links do help, signed someone yesterday from Celta Vigo who they signed a year ago for big money from Denmark).

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 with 3848 viewsmrshallisfit

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:50 - Jul 11 by xrayspecs

Mings - £10k >>£ms
Waghorn
Garner
Webster
Moore...

I think that nice little conveyor belt might now stop as MM has left the club.
The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 with 3849 viewsITFC_Forever

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:50 - Jul 11 by xrayspecs

Mings - £10k >>£ms
Waghorn
Garner
Webster
Moore...

The point I was making (although not particularly clearly, I grant you), was that Brentford are then not afraid to re-invest to the tune of up to £5m (Jansson) to improve the squad, rather than a few pennies here and there.

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 with 3844 viewsitfcjoe

Had Evans given Mick the chance to reinvest fees I think we’d have done so - not to same extent as we tended to go for. Ore distressed assets as opposed to young players with higher upsides.

I heard the figures the other day, but they are clearing £10m a year on transfer fees but still spending £8-10m a year.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:00 - Jul 11 with 3798 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That does of course involve closing the academy.

I'm not keen to make that sacrifice.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:02 - Jul 11 with 3782 viewsSWGF

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 by itfcjoe

Had Evans given Mick the chance to reinvest fees I think we’d have done so - not to same extent as we tended to go for. Ore distressed assets as opposed to young players with higher upsides.

I heard the figures the other day, but they are clearing £10m a year on transfer fees but still spending £8-10m a year.

Can't remember which podcast it was that I was listening to the other day....maybe Not The Top 20?

Anyhow, they were going through the figures of the last half a dozen years.
Basically sales were ~£20m each year and purchases were £5-6m, and repeat.

Properly reinvesting and therefore seeing proper ROI.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:02]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:02 - Jul 11 with 3777 viewsITFC_Forever

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:00 - Jul 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

That does of course involve closing the academy.

I'm not keen to make that sacrifice.

Not necessarily.

With a bit of thought, both models can be used....

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:03 - Jul 11 with 3770 viewsStewart27

Yes and they have this crazy system of putting some of that cash aside to buy players too.

Madness.
The Brentford model works again.... on 09:07 - Jul 11 with 3739 viewsitfcjoe

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:52 - Jul 11 by JimmyJazz

Their recruitment is almost bulletproof now - bar an absolute shocker

They have such a good name for it now that all their recruits are a bit over rated now – they’ve had half a dozen £10m players and not made the play offs since we did! IA Brentford player is not like a Man U Youth player under Fergie or a Brazilian who is just assumed to be better die to their reputation

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:10 - Jul 11 with 3725 viewsElephantintheRoom

Like most cunning plans, it's good whilst it works. The truth is that it is not sustainable as it depends on getting a higher percentage of picks right than wrong - something that no club in history has yet done over a sustained period of time. Having said that, in an era when clubs discard their youth players or loan them out to other clubs, not having an academy seems eminently sensible, particularly in London. And for a club like Brentford it has them overachieving for a few years - just like the Swansea way, the Burnley way etc etc

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:14 - Jul 11 with 3706 viewsElderGrizzly

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:02 - Jul 11 by SWGF

Can't remember which podcast it was that I was listening to the other day....maybe Not The Top 20?

Anyhow, they were going through the figures of the last half a dozen years.
Basically sales were ~£20m each year and purchases were £5-6m, and repeat.

Properly reinvesting and therefore seeing proper ROI.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:02]

Although if we sold for £20m and ‘only’ reinvested £6m, Evans would be accused of pocketing the money.

I suppose in some ways we did follow that model last year? Lower sales figure, but fees paid in that region?

Trick is doing it season after season of course
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:15]
The Brentford model works again.... on 09:18 - Jul 11 with 3667 viewsKieran_Knows

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:14 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

Although if we sold for £20m and ‘only’ reinvested £6m, Evans would be accused of pocketing the money.

I suppose in some ways we did follow that model last year? Lower sales figure, but fees paid in that region?

Trick is having a proper scouting system in place. As I mentioned higher up, they signed a Danish lad yesterday from Celta Vigo yesterday who only a year ago moved for big money to them. He had a year on the fringes, barely played, his price went down so now Brentford have swooped in.

It's all about the scouting for me. They have it down to a tee. To think we splashed out £1.6m on Jackson last summer, when the year before, Brentford signed Ollie Watkins for £1.8m and last year he was being spoken about as a £15m target for West Ham. Crazy.

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:27 - Jul 11 with 3598 viewsTractorJack

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:10 - Jul 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Like most cunning plans, it's good whilst it works. The truth is that it is not sustainable as it depends on getting a higher percentage of picks right than wrong - something that no club in history has yet done over a sustained period of time. Having said that, in an era when clubs discard their youth players or loan them out to other clubs, not having an academy seems eminently sensible, particularly in London. And for a club like Brentford it has them overachieving for a few years - just like the Swansea way, the Burnley way etc etc

I think you are underestimating their recruitment team. Even after selling Konsa for £12 mil they have two players in Maupay and Benrahma who are worth £10- £15 mil each.

Yes there is always risk involved but there is in any transfers and they are proving to be right time and time again.
The Brentford model works again.... on 09:30 - Jul 11 with 3571 viewsSWGF

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:14 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

The trick is having the balls to do it at a higher level. Buying at £2-3m rated player gives a higher probability of them proving themselves at the higher level and getting a larger fee when they're sold. Also, as is highlighted elsewhere, having a proper scouting system that can find players from all over Europe (and chuck in a £12m sale from the youth system here and there).

Selling at £5m and buying players at ~£1m (or lower) would, in the main, mean it's more of a gamble that the new players will come off. Or taking it to another extreme, selling your only centre forward and then having to use Leon Best.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:33 - Jul 11 with 3551 viewsSWGF

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:18 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

Trick is having a proper scouting system in place. As I mentioned higher up, they signed a Danish lad yesterday from Celta Vigo yesterday who only a year ago moved for big money to them. He had a year on the fringes, barely played, his price went down so now Brentford have swooped in.

It's all about the scouting for me. They have it down to a tee. To think we splashed out £1.6m on Jackson last summer, when the year before, Brentford signed Ollie Watkins for £1.8m and last year he was being spoken about as a £15m target for West Ham. Crazy.

Hogan £750k > £9m
Andre Gray £500k > £9m
Jota was free wasn't he? Then sold to Brum for £5m+
Egan was free > £4m

It is all down to scouting but it's working!

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:35 - Jul 11 with 3538 viewsSWGF

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 by ITFC_Forever

The point I was making (although not particularly clearly, I grant you), was that Brentford are then not afraid to re-invest to the tune of up to £5m (Jansson) to improve the squad, rather than a few pennies here and there.

That's the "skill". Buying at a higher price gives a higher probability that the players will be better (if you've scouted them properly) and therefore be worth more when you eventually sell.

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:35 - Jul 11 with 3539 viewsKieran_Knows

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:33 - Jul 11 by SWGF

Hogan £750k > £9m
Andre Gray £500k > £9m
Jota was free wasn't he? Then sold to Brum for £5m+
Egan was free > £4m

It is all down to scouting but it's working!

Indeed. All about spotting talent early and swooping in for them. Romaine Sawyers is another they got for free, and was linked with Celtic last week at £2.5m.

There just never seems any sort of strategy to our scouting.

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:37 - Jul 11 with 3533 viewsDanTheMan

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:35 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

Indeed. All about spotting talent early and swooping in for them. Romaine Sawyers is another they got for free, and was linked with Celtic last week at £2.5m.

It's been (as far as I'm aware) up to the managers. Whilst there are modern bits in there, it paled in comparison to some clubs. I remember Forest Green having quite a good set up.

This was a few years back mind.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:43 - Jul 11 with 3510 viewsBlueBadger

The Brentford model works again.... on 08:55 - Jul 11 by mrshallisfit

I think that nice little conveyor belt might now stop as MM has left the club.

I fear you're right. What we've gained in good PR, amenable pressers and nice dinners for club legends in Lambert, we've probably lost a lot of transfer savvy.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 10:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:45 - Jul 11 with 3387 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:02 - Jul 11 by ITFC_Forever

Not necessarily.

With a bit of thought, both models can be used....

Scrapping their academy free'd up £2m per year for investment in transfers.

Thats significant to their strategy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:50 - Jul 11 with 3369 viewsElderGrizzly

The Brentford model works again.... on 09:35 - Jul 11 by Kieran_Knows

Agree with all your and SWGF’s points, I was just picking up on the reaction here and elsewhere if we consistently followed that £20m in £6m out model.

Brentford have got it exactly right, but at the expense of ditching the academy. Do we plough the £2m a year from the academy into scouting instead?
The Brentford model works again.... on 10:53 - Jul 11 with 3354 viewsKieran_Knows

The Brentford model works again.... on 10:50 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

Agree with all your and SWGF’s points, I was just picking up on the reaction here and elsewhere if we consistently followed that £20m in £6m out model.

Brentford have got it exactly right, but at the expense of ditching the academy. Do we plough the £2m a year from the academy into scouting instead?

True, although I think if people could see that the club was following some kind of model, it wouldn't necessarily be looked upon as Evans pocketing the money. But that's another discussion for another day!

I think it's a fine line. As someone mentioned above, Brentford almost have a £2m head start every summer due to them not having an academy, but then who's to say we don't have someone come through the academy who is the eventually worth £10m+?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024