Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? 14:01 - Jul 12 with 2708 viewsGerkensBeard

Play the youngsters or go for it?
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:05 - Jul 12 with 2165 viewsJ2BLUE

Try and win it but rest the 4-5 key players.

Doubt we'll see much of Norwood, Judge, Bishop, Bart if he's still here or Skuse.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:08 - Jul 12 with 2159 viewsitfcjoe

I posted about it in another thread, but for me it needs to be 11 changes in the group stage and give our own players fitness (for senior players not starting) or experience (for the youngsters)

This will result in a fine of £5k per game, but needs to be done - this competition is apparently now about developing young players, that has to work for the clubs in it and not just the PL ones.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:10 - Jul 12 with 2144 viewschicoazul

I just dont understand this whole "play the kids play the reserves who cares" train of thought. Havent we had enough misery gloom and despair especially in cup competitions??? Let's bloody go for it, try to win it, try to get a good thing going.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:16 - Jul 12 with 2123 viewsskyblue23

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:10 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

I just dont understand this whole "play the kids play the reserves who cares" train of thought. Havent we had enough misery gloom and despair especially in cup competitions??? Let's bloody go for it, try to win it, try to get a good thing going.

I’m 100% with you on that. I’d love a trip to Wembley to see ipswich win a cup competition. It may not be the fa cup but it’s still a cup competition which is one realistic for us to try and win.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:24 - Jul 12 with 2101 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This might be the only chance that some of us ever get to take our kids or grandkids to Wembley to see Ipswich win, or for Ipswich to win a trophy.

Without being dramatic, many of us remember us competing every year for three trophies, but we have spent 5 years of the last 33 in the top division, it's over 40 years since we won a domestic cup and nearly 40 since we won anything major.

Since then we've had one second tier title win and a second tier playoff win at the old Wembley and we are now one of only 8 teams from 92 I think to have not played at the new Wembley.

No guarantees we will get to the final but we are currently joint second favourites to win it. We have to go for it. The fans have suffered enough. We can't afford to alienate them further by denying them the small prospect of success we may actually get presented with now and then.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:28 - Jul 12 with 2085 viewsJ2BLUE

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:24 - Jul 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

This might be the only chance that some of us ever get to take our kids or grandkids to Wembley to see Ipswich win, or for Ipswich to win a trophy.

Without being dramatic, many of us remember us competing every year for three trophies, but we have spent 5 years of the last 33 in the top division, it's over 40 years since we won a domestic cup and nearly 40 since we won anything major.

Since then we've had one second tier title win and a second tier playoff win at the old Wembley and we are now one of only 8 teams from 92 I think to have not played at the new Wembley.

No guarantees we will get to the final but we are currently joint second favourites to win it. We have to go for it. The fans have suffered enough. We can't afford to alienate them further by denying them the small prospect of success we may actually get presented with now and then.

You must be quite a bit older than I had you down for!

Truly impaired.

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:30 - Jul 12 with 2084 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:28 - Jul 12 by J2BLUE

You must be quite a bit older than I had you down for!

Yes. I'm 14 instead of 12.

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:32 - Jul 12 with 2074 viewsJ2BLUE

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:30 - Jul 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Yes. I'm 14 instead of 12.

We're talking your age, not your IQ

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:33 - Jul 12 with 2070 viewsElderGrizzly

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:08 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

I posted about it in another thread, but for me it needs to be 11 changes in the group stage and give our own players fitness (for senior players not starting) or experience (for the youngsters)

This will result in a fine of £5k per game, but needs to be done - this competition is apparently now about developing young players, that has to work for the clubs in it and not just the PL ones.

What’s the rule again? Is it 7 of the 11 from the previous league game?
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:33 - Jul 12 with 2071 viewsitfcjoe

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:10 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Most tam treat it that way until you get within sniffing distance of Wembley.

If we are having international call ups and games postponed due to it so our international weekends are free our schedule will become so cluttered that for midweek games they have to be used as an opportunity to get whole squad matchfit.

These games will take place in front of 2k people, if we are away at Gillingham the attendance will probably be less than 1k - the group stage is a total joke.

I would like to win it, but I wouldn't be trying to win it in the early rounds.

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:35 - Jul 12 with 2062 viewsitfcjoe

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:24 - Jul 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The fact that only 8 teams out of the 92 haven't been to Wembley surely makes it fairly obvious that over the next 10 or so years we will get there at some point? It's not the 70's when only the top clubs make it there, we'll get there one way or another but we have to treat this trophy with disdain in the early rounds and see where we end up

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:35 - Jul 12 with 2055 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:32 - Jul 12 by J2BLUE

We're talking your age, not your IQ

Yes I know. Why do you think I used double digit numbers?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:36 - Jul 12 with 2036 viewsJ2BLUE

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:35 - Jul 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Yes I know. Why do you think I used double digit numbers?

Truly impaired.

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:37 - Jul 12 with 2036 viewsitfcjoe

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:33 - Jul 12 by ElderGrizzly

What’s the rule again? Is it 7 of the 11 from the previous league game?

5 from 11 in game directly before or after, or 5 of your top appearance makers in the league.

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:43 - Jul 12 with 2009 viewsElderGrizzly

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:37 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

5 from 11 in game directly before or after, or 5 of your top appearance makers in the league.

Better than I thought. So at least that gives us some room for changes across the team
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:43 - Jul 12 with 2008 viewsPhilTWTD

Four now, was reduced last season I think.
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:45 - Jul 12 with 1999 viewsPJH

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:43 - Jul 12 by PhilTWTD

Four now, was reduced last season I think.

That's good news.
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:54 - Jul 12 with 1971 viewschicoazul

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:33 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

If we are having international call ups and games postponed due to it so our international weekends are free our schedule will become so cluttered that for midweek games they have to be used as an opportunity to get whole squad matchfit.

These games will take place in front of 2k people, if we are away at Gillingham the attendance will probably be less than 1k - the group stage is a total joke.

Remember those Zenith cup games, all the little runs and stuff we had years ago that people still talk about now? Let's get some of those memories for the likes of Sitters who have never experienced that kind of thing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 15:20 - Jul 12 with 1934 viewsBigManBlue

Still a pishtake, when you think that there's no penalty for big clubs 'disrespecting' the FA or League cups.

To be fair I've never gotten over the youth teams... For me that's the real way of devaluing a competition.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 15:24 - Jul 12 with 1922 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:54 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Remember those Zenith cup games, all the little runs and stuff we had years ago that people still talk about now? Let's get some of those memories for the likes of Sitters who have never experienced that kind of thing.

I assume you are joking, but I do fondly remember watching David Gregory get a hat-trick as we dismantled Watford in the ZDS Cup.

Neil Gregory then got three against Sheffield United.

I wonder how many other clubs can claim brothers who have scored competitive hat-tricks for the same club?

Southampton with two of the Wallaces maybe?

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 15:33 - Jul 12 with 1906 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 15:24 - Jul 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I assume you are joking, but I do fondly remember watching David Gregory get a hat-trick as we dismantled Watford in the ZDS Cup.

Neil Gregory then got three against Sheffield United.

I wonder how many other clubs can claim brothers who have scored competitive hat-tricks for the same club?

Southampton with two of the Wallaces maybe?

Speaking of the Full Members Cup, I seem to recall in 1987 we almost had a Wembley final against Norwich.

We lost to Blackburn in the SF and Norwich lost as well. What a game that would have been.

EDIT - What a record we have in that competition!

1987 - W4 L1 - out in SF
1988 - W3 L1 - out at QF
1989 - W3 L1 - out at QF
1990 - W2 L1 - out in Area SF
1991 - W2 L1 - out in Area SF
1992 - W1 L1 - out in 3rd round

Overall W15, L6. Not too shabby!
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 15:38]

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 15:42 - Jul 12 with 1887 viewsSomethingBlue

As a fan I will be ignoring it until such time as U21 sides are removed. Hopefully everyone else will do that too.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 16:24 - Jul 12 with 1832 viewsDanny_G

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 14:33 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

According to Colchester’s website, we play them away in November (meaning it’s Gillingham at home).

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2019/july/checkatrade-groups-confirmed/
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 17:03 - Jul 12 with 1756 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

What players can EFL clubs field?

Four of the 10 outfield starters have to either; a) have started the previous match, b) be in the top 10 players at the club in terms of making the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season, c) made 40 or more first team appearances in their career, d) be on loan from a Premier League or EFL club.

Interesting!!
How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 17:16 - Jul 12 with 1739 viewsitfcjoe

How do you think we will approach the EFL trophy? on 17:03 - Jul 12 by BtreeBlueBlood

What players can EFL clubs field?

Four of the 10 outfield starters have to either; a) have started the previous match, b) be in the top 10 players at the club in terms of making the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season, c) made 40 or more first team appearances in their career, d) be on loan from a Premier League or EFL club.

Interesting!!

The last one is a p155 take, so loan players take priority over developing your own!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024