Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your best loved game 14:01 - Jul 12 with 3858 viewsCoastalblue

Following on from the thread about the guy saying the cricket was more exciting for him than seeing Town win promotion, what was the game for you that is the biggest in your memory?

I'm talking about games you attended.

I've seen the playoff final, FA Cup final, home leg of the EUFA Cup final, but for me the one that I think will always be THE one for me was the FA Cup semi final. The thought of going to see Town play at Wembley in probably the biggst domestic single game in the world was an incredible thing for a young lad.

I have to confess once more, I didn't see the Bolton play off semi but I imagine that might be up there for some people.

I feel very sorry for some of the younger fans.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Your best loved game on 14:06 - Jul 12 with 2781 viewsGarv

Best loved game - maybe Sheffield Utd 3-2 in 02/03.

'Biggest' game(s) - West Ham in the play offs. The away leg in 2003 probably most, as we were 1-0 up and we felt we had a real chance.

That Westlake volley

As you can tell I'm one of those younger fans.

Edit: Inter too. I was right behind the Armstrong header.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 15:58]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Your best loved game on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 2767 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich wise I'd say the Bolton play off win. I just didn't consider for a second we wouldn't win at Wembley

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Your best loved game on 14:10 - Jul 12 with 2762 viewsITFC_Forever

Nothing will ever come close to the Bolton PO Semi win in 2000.

There's loads of other ones to choose from as well (all the usual obvious ones), but one there's one whole season that stands out for me - 1991-92.
A real coming of age, rite of passage moment for me and my mates - we were in the Lower Sixth at the time and went to games en masse, teaming up with other Sixth Forms in Ipswich to make quite a decent number enjoying the football, discovering alcohol and trying to (unsuccessfully in most cases) discover girls.

I recently had a pint with Chris Kiwomya and his face lit up when we started talking about that season - as a group of players, they enjoyed it as much as the rest of us and he couldn't speak highly enough of John Lyall and the way he got the best from the group of players.
He said that whenever he bumps in to Town fans, they thank him for what he done for us, but he won't accept the thanks and wants to thank the fans instead, as that's what gave him such fantastic memories to look back on.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Your best loved game on 14:11 - Jul 12 with 2755 viewsUB9Blue

You were right about the Bolton game as this had all the emotion of a few years play-off failures rolled into one. The final was obviously up there as well.

But my top game has to be home to Wolves in 72-73 when we won 2-1 and Colin Viljoen and Stuart Munroe (?) were sent off. On a family holiday to Felixstowe my QPR supporting Dad took me along and that was the start of my life supporting Town.
Your best loved game on 14:13 - Jul 12 with 2750 viewsCoastalblue

Your best loved game on 14:10 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

There's loads of other ones to choose from as well (all the usual obvious ones), but one there's one whole season that stands out for me - 1991-92.
A real coming of age, rite of passage moment for me and my mates - we were in the Lower Sixth at the time and went to games en masse, teaming up with other Sixth Forms in Ipswich to make quite a decent number enjoying the football, discovering alcohol and trying to (unsuccessfully in most cases) discover girls.

I recently had a pint with Chris Kiwomya and his face lit up when we started talking about that season - as a group of players, they enjoyed it as much as the rest of us and he couldn't speak highly enough of John Lyall and the way he got the best from the group of players.
He said that whenever he bumps in to Town fans, they thank him for what he done for us, but he won't accept the thanks and wants to thank the fans instead, as that's what gave him such fantastic memories to look back on.

That was an amazing season and what made it all the more special was the fact it came out of nowhere for most of us. For me it was even better as it was one of those rare years I was able to attend a lot of away games, intended before we started to going well.

That away game at sarfend always brings back great memories for me.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Your best loved game on 14:27 - Jul 12 with 2729 viewsPJH

I think the most dramatic game for me was the Bolton playoff game but winning at Highbury in 1978 and knowing that we were going to Wembley was as good as it gets.

I was at Portman Road in April 1962 but although it was important that we beat Villa that day our becoming Champions also depended on what Burnley did that day and also potentially what Burnley did the following midweek.
Your best loved game on 14:29 - Jul 12 with 2728 viewsjudespiveyg

Hard to say, I suppose beating Arsenal a few years ago wasn't too bad but I was barely 9 at that point so I don't remember all that much about it.
The home playoff game was the hardest I've ever celebrated a goal but ended in a draw.
The best I can remember Ipswich playing was the 3-1 win over Newcastle in 2017.
I'll settle with the 2-1 against Derby in 2014 however, great game with a great Williams goal, had left the ground at 1-1 but heard a roar from the Ipswich fans in response to winning a corner so reentered through the open lower Cobbold entrance in the corner, saw Berra head the winner. That night I was certain we'd make the play-offs.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Your best loved game on 14:30 - Jul 12 with 2724 viewsitfc_bucks

Home vs Inter Milan.

If you need that explaining to you, then you need to give your head a wobble.

I'm content that life will never get any better than that. Certainly from a footballing context.
Login to get fewer ads

Your best loved game on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 2695 viewswkj

The Bolton semi final for me too, after the back to back nearly 2nd place finishes by minimal point margins, to finally get over the line was phenominal.

There were games in our nearly seasons too where decisions went against us unfairly, I remember a game vs Crewe where I think we had 3 goals disallowed which cost us promotion, so to finally get our day in Wembley with a ref who was on top of the game vs Bolton was amazing karma

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Your best loved game on 15:21 - Jul 12 with 2659 viewsIllinoisblue

Not in order, but my top five are: Liverpool away FA Cup 1992. Bolton play-off semi 2000, Oxford away 1992. Wembley 2000. Southend away 1992.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Your best loved game on 15:24 - Jul 12 with 2653 viewsBigManBlue

As an under-30 I don't have quite such a range of choice, but the one that stands out is Town 1 Inter Milan 0.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Your best loved game on 15:29 - Jul 12 with 2634 viewsIllinoisblue

Your best loved game on 14:13 - Jul 12 by Coastalblue

That was an amazing season and what made it all the more special was the fact it came out of nowhere for most of us. For me it was even better as it was one of those rare years I was able to attend a lot of away games, intended before we started to going well.

That away game at sarfend always brings back great memories for me.

all the feels:

62 - 78 - 81

Your best loved game on 15:29 - Jul 12 with 2631 viewsIllinoisblue

Your best loved game on 14:10 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

a perfect summary and great to hear of Kiwomya's reaction. Love it.

62 - 78 - 81

Your best loved game on 15:36 - Jul 12 with 2614 viewsIllinoisblue

Your best loved game on 14:09 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

Ipswich wise I'd say the Bolton play off win. I just didn't consider for a second we wouldn't win at Wembley

absolutely the same here; never for one second contemplated we might lose in the final. Not arrogance or cockiness, just an absolute sense that that was our day, our time.

62 - 78 - 81

Your best loved game on 15:36 - Jul 12 with 2608 viewsWeWereZombies

Bit like Desert Island Discs, I will choose a slightly different set depending on mood but I suspect number one will never change:

1978 semi final against West Brom
2000 Play-off semi final against Bolton
1978 Cup Final
2000 Play off final
2003 Ipswich 3 Sheffield Utd. 2 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/feb/10/match.sport9
1997 League cup Ipswich 2 Man. Utd. 0
1976 Paul Mariner home debut Ipswich 7 West Brom 0
1999 Swindon 0 Ipswich 6

And I think the biggest regrets are both due to my, now, ex.wife who ensured, actually this was before we were married, that any thought of following the Boys of '81 was out of the question. And then once we were married and I was back to taking my son to games quite often arranging a Saturday out in Greenwich on the day we beat Nodge 5-0.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Your best loved game on 15:40 - Jul 12 with 2594 viewsKieran_Knows

The 2-1 home win against Wigan which put us top of the League.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Your best loved game on 15:40 - Jul 12 with 2593 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 15:36 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

Bit like Desert Island Discs, I will choose a slightly different set depending on mood but I suspect number one will never change:

1978 Cup Final
2000 Play off final
2003 Ipswich 3 Sheffield Utd. 2 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/feb/10/match.sport9
1999 Swindon 0 Ipswich 6

And I think the biggest regrets are both due to my, now, ex.wife who ensured, actually this was before we were married, that any thought of following the Boys of '81 was out of the question. And then once we were married and I was back to taking my son to games quite often arranging a Saturday out in Greenwich on the day we beat Nodge 5-0.

Love that list although I would have some from 1961/62 and 1980/81 on there along with the 6-0 win over Man U.

Also beating Villa 3-2 from 0-2 down in the F.A. Cup in 1975.
Your best loved game on 15:47 - Jul 12 with 2579 viewsWeWereZombies

Your best loved game on 15:40 - Jul 12 by PJH

Love that list although I would have some from 1961/62 and 1980/81 on there along with the 6-0 win over Man U.

Also beating Villa 3-2 from 0-2 down in the F.A. Cup in 1975.

It's tricky, there are probably a host of games from the Seventies I could put in but I do not remember them so well. A 2-0 home win over Everton in 1977 0r '78 when the North Stand just seemed to be electric, the 2-0 against Feyenoord when Clive Woods scored a goal worthy of Pele, oh I have just remembered a couple to shoehorn into that list:

1977 Ipswich 3 Barcelona 0
1973 Ipswich 1 Real Madrid 0

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Your best loved game on 15:49 - Jul 12 with 2573 viewsCoastalblue

1978 Cup Final
2000 Play off final
1999 Swindon 0 Ipswich 6

I'm not going to ask how come she's now your ex wife.

That 7-0 West Brom game was amongst my first visits, I remember on the way there we travelled in a mini bus from Essex, us lads and our Dads.

One of the lad's Dad hadn't really got much interest in football but was coming for the day out, on the way all the adults had a pound in and predicted the score, the winner took the pot.
Tony the aforementioned guy was one of the first to have a go, he said 7-0 knowing little better and was gently ribbed all the way to the game, he didn't get ribbed on the way home.

Your best loved game on 15:50 - Jul 12 with 2566 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 15:47 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

It's tricky, there are probably a host of games from the Seventies I could put in but I do not remember them so well. A 2-0 home win over Everton in 1977 0r '78 when the North Stand just seemed to be electric, the 2-0 against Feyenoord when Clive Woods scored a goal worthy of Pele, oh I have just remembered a couple to shoehorn into that list:

On the assumption that you can only name eight games I would certainly have the 1978 semi final and final and the 2000 playoff semi final home leg and the final on my list,the other four would take a hell of a lot of thought.
Your best loved game on 17:41 - Jul 12 with 2484 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Final
2000 Play off final
1999 Swindon 0 Ipswich 6

Top of that list would be very close to mine:

1978 Cup Final
2000 Play off final
1970 Ipswich 4 - Man Utd 0 - My first ever first team game

- Honorable mentions to
1975 Ipswich 1 - Liverpool 0 FA Cup 4th round
1975 Ipswich 0 - Leeds 0 FA Cup 6th Round (Portman Road packed with 38,000)
Your best loved game on 17:51 - Jul 12 with 2463 viewsgtsb

Ipswich 1 Liverpool 0...Mick Mills in the last minute. Can't remember what year it was but around 1976/77.
Your best loved game on 18:27 - Jul 12 with 2405 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 17:51 - Jul 12 by gtsb

Ipswich 1 Liverpool 0...Mick Mills in the last minute. Can't remember what year it was but around 1976/77.

January 25th 1975.

In the next round we had the 3-2 win against Villa that I mentioned earlier, then the four games against Leeds, then West Ham in the semi final.
Your best loved game on 18:31 - Jul 12 with 2397 viewsgtsb

Your best loved game on 18:27 - Jul 12 by PJH

January 25th 1975.

In the next round we had the 3-2 win against Villa that I mentioned earlier, then the four games against Leeds, then West Ham in the semi final.

Cheers. I was 9 but remember it, apart from the date, well. Did we play Carlisle at home that January too. I always thought Carlisle was my first game.
Your best loved game on 18:34 - Jul 12 with 2389 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 18:31 - Jul 12 by gtsb

Cheers. I was 9 but remember it, apart from the date, well. Did we play Carlisle at home that January too. I always thought Carlisle was my first game.

We played Carlisle at home on 30th November 1974, beat them 3-1 and I think their Willie Carlin was sent off although that might be another game against them.
We were away to Carlisle the week before that Liverpool game.

Thanks to The Men Who Made The Town-apart from the Willie Carlin bit which I will now check.

edit-Willie Carlin was not with Carlisle then, looks like it was mid 1960's when he was sent off at PR.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 18:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024