Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your best loved game 14:01 - Jul 12 with 3857 viewsCoastalblue

Following on from the thread about the guy saying the cricket was more exciting for him than seeing Town win promotion, what was the game for you that is the biggest in your memory?

I'm talking about games you attended.

I've seen the playoff final, FA Cup final, home leg of the EUFA Cup final, but for me the one that I think will always be THE one for me was the FA Cup semi final. The thought of going to see Town play at Wembley in probably the biggst domestic single game in the world was an incredible thing for a young lad.

I have to confess once more, I didn't see the Bolton play off semi but I imagine that might be up there for some people.

I feel very sorry for some of the younger fans.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Your best loved game on 18:46 - Jul 12 with 1054 viewsTrequartista

Your best loved game on 14:30 - Jul 12 by itfc_bucks

Home vs Inter Milan.

If you need that explaining to you, then you need to give your head a wobble.

I'm content that life will never get any better than that. Certainly from a footballing context.

When Inter's stars didn't even bother travelling I realised the UEFA Cup was no longer the competition we won in 1981. Didn't feel like an important game.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Your best loved game on 18:54 - Jul 12 with 1037 viewsvapour_trail

It’s not too of the list, but wanted to get it in the thread,

Palace 3-4 Town under Big Fat Joe at selhurst on a Tuesday evening in the freezing cold. The whole away support bounced and sang for the whole second half.

2-0 down, 3-2 up, palace equalising with a last minute pen only for Shefki to go down the other end, lob the keeper and precipitate a massive pile-on. Summed up the Royle era. Great night.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Your best loved game on 18:58 - Jul 12 with 1033 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 18:54 - Jul 12 by vapour_trail

It’s not too of the list, but wanted to get it in the thread,

Palace 3-4 Town under Big Fat Joe at selhurst on a Tuesday evening in the freezing cold. The whole away support bounced and sang for the whole second half.

2-0 down, 3-2 up, palace equalising with a last minute pen only for Shefki to go down the other end, lob the keeper and precipitate a massive pile-on. Summed up the Royle era. Great night.

I did not go to that one, as my son keeps reminding me, because it was rearranged 'cos original game was called off because of Internationals and I was on holiday for the rearranged date.
My son often tells me how good it was.
Your best loved game on 18:59 - Jul 12 with 1028 viewsvapour_trail

Your best loved game on 18:58 - Jul 12 by PJH

I did not go to that one, as my son keeps reminding me, because it was rearranged 'cos original game was called off because of Internationals and I was on holiday for the rearranged date.
My son often tells me how good it was.

Such a part timer

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Your best loved game on 19:00 - Jul 12 with 1026 viewsgtsb

Your best loved game on 18:34 - Jul 12 by PJH

We played Carlisle at home on 30th November 1974, beat them 3-1 and I think their Willie Carlin was sent off although that might be another game against them.
We were away to Carlisle the week before that Liverpool game.

Thanks to The Men Who Made The Town-apart from the Willie Carlin bit which I will now check.

edit-Willie Carlin was not with Carlisle then, looks like it was mid 1960's when he was sent off at PR.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 18:41]

Thatwas definitely my first game. Thanks.
Your best loved game on 19:01 - Jul 12 with 1023 viewsPJH

Your best loved game on 18:59 - Jul 12 by vapour_trail

Such a part timer

One of the reasons that I am now very very careful about arranging holidays for the football season.
Your best loved game on 19:17 - Jul 12 with 1014 viewsSE1blue

The first game I ever went to. Town 3 Watford 1. I think it was 84.

My dad, as much as I love him, was extremely Victorian/Puritan growing up and i never thought he would ever take me to a game. He told me we were going over breakfast as he knew if he told me any earlier I’d be unbearable.

And I was. I insisted we leave so that we got there for when the gates opened - hour and a half before the game. Normally that 90 minutes would be awkward silence but I was just so in awe of everything I can still see and smell everything I breathed in that day.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Your best loved game on 22:48 - Jul 12 with 950 viewsMelford

Your best loved game on 14:10 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

Nothing will ever come close to the Bolton PO Semi win in 2000.

There's loads of other ones to choose from as well (all the usual obvious ones), but one there's one whole season that stands out for me - 1991-92.
A real coming of age, rite of passage moment for me and my mates - we were in the Lower Sixth at the time and went to games en masse, teaming up with other Sixth Forms in Ipswich to make quite a decent number enjoying the football, discovering alcohol and trying to (unsuccessfully in most cases) discover girls.

I recently had a pint with Chris Kiwomya and his face lit up when we started talking about that season - as a group of players, they enjoyed it as much as the rest of us and he couldn't speak highly enough of John Lyall and the way he got the best from the group of players.
He said that whenever he bumps in to Town fans, they thank him for what he done for us, but he won't accept the thanks and wants to thank the fans instead, as that's what gave him such fantastic memories to look back on.

1991-92 is my favourite season. I got kicked out of Uni and a had a bit of a meltdown in spring 2000 and I missed Bolton and Wembley so I haven't got that. 91-92 I was 13 and me and the old man missed about 5 games all season, went to away games on the Galloway's bus. Southend away then the last two, Oxford away and getting the trophy and beating Brighton in their raspberry ripple kit. On the pitch twice in 2 weeks afterwards, pinching Warky's bum. I had two window boxes on my windowsill, one with a divot of Manor Ground turf another with a bit of Portman Road pitch for a couple of years. It was the last season before the Premier League, we were the last old division 2 champions.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Your best loved game on 03:19 - Jul 13 with 910 viewsharlingblue

I must agree with Coastalblue on this. When we scored that third goal against WBA in The FA Cup semi final at Highbury, a trip to the THEN hallowed turf of Wembley meant so much. To go on to win it was the icing on the cake.
Your best loved game on 17:52 - Jul 13 with 879 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Going back to the opening season of the Premier League in 1992...

We were newly promoted and Leeds United were the current league champions. We storm into a 3-0 lead, two goals by John Wark, not sure about the other - all of this before half time. They make it a tense game by pulling a couple back before we get a fourth to win 4-2.

It felt like we really belonged and need fear no one.
Your best loved game on 13:19 - Jul 14 with 811 viewsChe

I was telling my daughter last week how fantastic the FA Cup Semi Final 78 was and the celebration for Warkysvgoal was the most mental I have ever known.
Your best loved game on 13:27 - Jul 14 with 804 viewsChe

Your best loved game on 17:51 - Jul 12 by gtsb

Ipswich 1 Liverpool 0...Mick Mills in the last minute. Can't remember what year it was but around 1976/77.

Think it was a cup game January 74
Your best loved game on 13:29 - Jul 14 with 801 viewsChe

Your best loved game on 18:34 - Jul 12 by PJH

We played Carlisle at home on 30th November 1974, beat them 3-1 and I think their Willie Carlin was sent off although that might be another game against them.
We were away to Carlisle the week before that Liverpool game.

Thanks to The Men Who Made The Town-apart from the Willie Carlin bit which I will now check.

edit-Willie Carlin was not with Carlisle then, looks like it was mid 1960's when he was sent off at PR.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 18:41]

I saw that game we were 1 down I think a player called Joe Laidlow scored a fantastic goal for the in the North Stand end.
Your best loved game (n/t) on 11:44 - Jul 15 with 751 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Your best loved game on 13:27 - Jul 14 by Che

Think it was a cup game January 74

Your a year out, 25th January 1975....spookily it was on the top of some old programmes I have!
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 11:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024