Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Left Behind 16:06 - Jul 12 with 1449 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone catch this on BBC the other night? By same people who made Murdered by my boyfriend

Fact based drama based on reasons why people end up in far right, really good

Assume still available on iplayer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Left Behind on 22:18 - Jul 12 with 1325 viewsJimmyJazz

Yes, very thought provoking.

The one thing that never gets mentioned - probably because it's a selfish view - is when a new development gets built and 25% has to be affordable housing, typically the affordable housing area is an area the other 75% regard as trouble. You'll get some decent folk but you also get young families with kids who appear to have no discipline or young adults who at their age like to party.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The Left Behind on 22:28 - Jul 12 with 1315 viewsjeera

The Left Behind on 22:18 - Jul 12 by JimmyJazz

Yes, very thought provoking.

The one thing that never gets mentioned - probably because it's a selfish view - is when a new development gets built and 25% has to be affordable housing, typically the affordable housing area is an area the other 75% regard as trouble. You'll get some decent folk but you also get young families with kids who appear to have no discipline or young adults who at their age like to party.

The other option would be to segregate communities based solely on their perceived social status/worth?

That's surely the attitude we, as society, are trying to get away from.

Don't like that at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Left Behind on 22:40 - Jul 12 with 1297 viewsJimmyJazz

The Left Behind on 22:28 - Jul 12 by jeera

The other option would be to segregate communities based solely on their perceived social status/worth?

That's surely the attitude we, as society, are trying to get away from.

Don't like that at all.

In Years and Years the 'undesirable areas' - based on crime figures - were ring fenced and a curfew was put in place.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The Left Behind on 00:15 - Jul 13 with 1262 viewslinhdi

The Left Behind on 22:40 - Jul 12 by JimmyJazz

In Years and Years the 'undesirable areas' - based on crime figures - were ring fenced and a curfew was put in place.

I bought a flat in a mixed development in London. 25% social housing. That bit had separate access.

5 years in, the "social housing" bit had seen 3 murders and several knife attacks.

If it hadn't have been for the "social" bit having a completely separate in / out, I'd never have been able to sell when I needed to. No, I didn't bank a fortune, but I was grateful to have walls and gates of segregation.
The Left Behind on 12:29 - Jul 13 with 1206 viewsBLUEBEAT

The Left Behind on 00:15 - Jul 13 by linhdi

I bought a flat in a mixed development in London. 25% social housing. That bit had separate access.

5 years in, the "social housing" bit had seen 3 murders and several knife attacks.

If it hadn't have been for the "social" bit having a completely separate in / out, I'd never have been able to sell when I needed to. No, I didn't bank a fortune, but I was grateful to have walls and gates of segregation.

I’ve lived in a place like that before and it really does impact when it comes to selling on.

In our new place, we chose a small development where the social housing element related wholly to a retirement/nursing home complex (which also had separate access). A total change of atmosphere and it is a really decent place to live. Vast majority of the other 75% are home owners rather than buy-to-let, so it’s all good. So far.

EDIT- though hypocritically, I totally agree with Jeera’s comments. Does that make me a NIMBY?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2019 12:31]

Poll: W or W

The Left Behind on 15:50 - Jul 13 with 1137 viewsClapham_Junction

The Left Behind on 00:15 - Jul 13 by linhdi

This is primarily because of the acute shortage of social housing. The remnants of the existing stock rarely becomes available as existing tenants understandably don't want to move out, so there is a massive waiting list and you have to be in a pretty awful situation to get it.

As a result, when new social housing becomes available (which is now often in private developments), the eligible people will be a very narrow group, often the chaotic lives types, rather than the broader cross section of society that used to live in council housing.

I live on an old (1930s) council estate in central London and have never seen any violence - the worst we get is illegal parking and teenagers doing laughing gas (although there seems to have been a massive drop off in this in the last year or so).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024