Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? 15:08 - Jul 15 with 1393 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Im not into cricket, but I tuned in for the last 18 balls.

What a spectacle, some of the best sport I have ever seen, and certainly looks like ODI is the future.

....but was it too good? (for new fans)

I now know that I've already seen the best cricket I'll ever see, and future matches wont live upto it.

...bit like Grant Ward scoring a hat trick on his debut. Impossible to live upto.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 15:08]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:11 - Jul 15 with 1355 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Can't see others thinking like that.

It's like not watching football anymore after 1966 or not watching matches that don't involve Town after what happened in Barcelona in 1999.

There can still be some brilliant stuff that happens. I'm under no illusions I'll never be as euphoric as the 5-3 over Bolton. It's just never going to happen. But it won't stop me being at the Checkatrade trophy clash with Gillingham on a wet Tuesday night.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:14 - Jul 15 with 1341 viewsReuser_is_God

I think you're right that you're very unlikely to see something like that again.

However do continue to watch Cricket because you will still get matches just as captivating but just a little less dramatic.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:15 - Jul 15 with 1329 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't see the logic in that.

For the neutrals there have been loads of football matches which have been unbelievable. Next season we'll see a few more. That's the attraction of sport. It's unpredictable and you can see an instant classic at any time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:16 - Jul 15 with 1322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:14 - Jul 15 by Reuser_is_God

I think you're right that you're very unlikely to see something like that again.

However do continue to watch Cricket because you will still get matches just as captivating but just a little less dramatic.

I've been to a day of a test match before, and got quite bored... even though I saw Thorpe hit a century for England.

I think the ODI format or 20/20 looks a lot easier to get into.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:16 - Jul 15 with 1320 viewsWD19

My Mrs is never going to be 32 again either.....but I persist.....
CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:18 - Jul 15 with 1313 viewsGuthrum

The end of the game when England beat India to win the women's World Cup was equally dramatic.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:19 - Jul 15 with 1305 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:15 - Jul 15 by J2BLUE

I can't see the logic in that.

For the neutrals there have been loads of football matches which have been unbelievable. Next season we'll see a few more. That's the attraction of sport. It's unpredictable and you can see an instant classic at any time.

The logic is that one might find their next match underwhelming and give up.

It was purely a question, not a statement of fact.

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:20 - Jul 15 with 1291 viewsReuser_is_God

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:16 - Jul 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I've been to a day of a test match before, and got quite bored... even though I saw Thorpe hit a century for England.

Yeah ODI or T20 will be easier to get into for new fans but give test cricket another try too, it is still the best form of the game but can also be the most dull.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:21 - Jul 15 with 1289 viewsSWGF

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:19 - Jul 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

The point is that they may actually go to a "next match" when previously they wouldn't have given it a moment's thought.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:23 - Jul 15 with 1282 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:21 - Jul 15 by SWGF

The point is that they may actually go to a "next match" when previously they wouldn't have given it a moment's thought.

That logic is just as flawed. But I take your point.

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 16:18 - Jul 15 with 1213 viewsRadlett_blue

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:16 - Jul 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think Test cricket is slowly dying as a spectator sport & it's not hard to see why. Unless you are really into cricket & understand some of the subtle sub plots, often not that much exciting may happen during a day's play. The causal sports fan - which cricket needs to attract - needs something more definitive & exciting, hence the growth of 50 over ODIs & 20/20.
I would prefer a day at a Test (there can be some dull & very one sided 1 day games) but I accept I'm in a minority. Test crowds outside London are buoyed by stag parties of blokes in fancy dress drinking all day.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 16:21 - Jul 15 with 1198 viewsJ2BLUE

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 15:19 - Jul 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I didn't say it was a statement of fact.

Again to use the football comparison sometimes you see a 4-3 and sometimes a 0-0. I'd say they were more likely to tune in for a few matches knowing they might see another game like that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 16:22 - Jul 15 with 1195 viewsReuser_is_God

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 16:18 - Jul 15 by Radlett_blue

I think Test cricket is slowly dying as a spectator sport & it's not hard to see why. Unless you are really into cricket & understand some of the subtle sub plots, often not that much exciting may happen during a day's play. The causal sports fan - which cricket needs to attract - needs something more definitive & exciting, hence the growth of 50 over ODIs & 20/20.
I would prefer a day at a Test (there can be some dull & very one sided 1 day games) but I accept I'm in a minority. Test crowds outside London are buoyed by stag parties of blokes in fancy dress drinking all day.

Agree with you re the issues test cricket has, hopefully the upcoming Ashes can do it's bit for the greatest form of the game.

Evans out

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 17:34 - Jul 15 with 1102 viewsRadlett_blue

CWC final...... was it bad for cricket? on 16:22 - Jul 15 by Reuser_is_God

Agree with you re the issues test cricket has, hopefully the upcoming Ashes can do it's bit for the greatest form of the game.

The Ashes punches above its weight, reflected by the sky-high ticket prices. It's going to be a tough series, with 5 Tests crammed into about 6 weeks. Here's hoping Roy & Archer are selected & help England win the series.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024