Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding.. 10:01 - Jul 17 with 8877 viewsGooders7592

Not my greatest moment, but I think I was caught speeding last Thursday going from a country road (60) into a village (30) by one of those police camera vans. I think I was doing about 40 as I was slowing down to enter the village.

Looked on Google maps and the distance from the speed change to where the van was located is 0.2 miles. I read online there is a 1 minute allowance to reduce your speed, and I assume 0.2 miles is a lot less than a minute at 30mph?

However, as I got face on and I could see the officer inside was writing or something that looked like this. Could this mean I might be fine as he wasn't operating the 'gun' or does it it mean I've been caught and he was writing my details down?

Hoping some of you might be able to shed some light as I've been driving for 3 & a half years and never had this before!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:02]
Speeding.. on 10:06 - Jul 17 with 4576 viewsThe_Last_Baron

There is no time allowance to adjust your speed. You have to be doing 30 by the time you pass the 30 sign.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Speeding.. on 10:10 - Jul 17 with 4542 viewsGooders7592

Speeding.. on 10:06 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

There is no time allowance to adjust your speed. You have to be doing 30 by the time you pass the 30 sign.

Oh really? I read online, and my friend told me (which thinking about it now isn't the most reliable source!) that you have 1 minute allowance due to the significant change in speed?
Speeding.. on 10:14 - Jul 17 with 4514 viewshomer_123

Speeding.. on 10:10 - Jul 17 by Gooders7592

Oh really? I read online, and my friend told me (which thinking about it now isn't the most reliable source!) that you have 1 minute allowance due to the significant change in speed?

Nope, there is no allowance at all.

You can see the signs well in advance - and therefore you must be doing the speed when you enter that section.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Speeding.. on 10:14 - Jul 17 with 4520 viewsWD19

I know of someone who, in their youth, entered a 30 zone doing north of 80. If some kind of 1 minute allowance existed he/she would have been out the other side of the village long before then.

30 is 30.
Speeding.. on 10:16 - Jul 17 with 4498 viewsKieran_Knows

Speeding.. on 10:14 - Jul 17 by homer_123

Nope, there is no allowance at all.

You can see the signs well in advance - and therefore you must be doing the speed when you enter that section.

I'm not defending the poster at all, as the speed limit is the speed limit, but I do feel at times that some of them signs give you no prior warning at all (the one I'm thinking of is the roundabout near the Beagle which I believe is a 40mph, then as soon as you get in to Sproughton the sign says 30mph, with absolute no warning until you see it).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Speeding.. on 10:17 - Jul 17 with 4495 viewsSWGF

A one minute allowance?! How would that work? You can belt through the village at 60mph as long as you're out the other side in 60 secs?

Edit: apologies WD19; seen you've made the same point
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:18]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Speeding.. on 10:17 - Jul 17 with 4490 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Think about that. If there was a one minute allowance you'd pass through villages and back into a 60 zone before you'd be expected to be doing 30. You've been fed stupid information. Use your brain.

Speeding.. on 10:18 - Jul 17 with 4479 viewsclive_baker

If the gun wasn't being operated, you might be OK.

My advice would be to try not to worry about it, these things happen. Learn from it, don't contest it as it'll end up costing you a lot more. If you're offered a speed awareness course take it. It's the same cost wise but will mean you won't get points, potentially saving you money on insurance. Also you never know when 3 points might become 6 etc, as unlikely as that might seem to you now but it's perhaps only an angry copper and an illegal tyre away.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Speeding.. on 10:18 - Jul 17 with 4473 viewsGooders7592

Speeding.. on 10:16 - Jul 17 by Kieran_Knows

I'm not defending the poster at all, as the speed limit is the speed limit, but I do feel at times that some of them signs give you no prior warning at all (the one I'm thinking of is the roundabout near the Beagle which I believe is a 40mph, then as soon as you get in to Sproughton the sign says 30mph, with absolute no warning until you see it).

That was why I thought it made sense when I read/got told
Speeding.. on 10:19 - Jul 17 with 4473 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Speeding.. on 10:16 - Jul 17 by Kieran_Knows

How can you be doing 40 going around a roundabout. Even Senna at his peak would find that tough.

Speeding.. on 10:20 - Jul 17 with 4466 viewsGooders7592

Speeding.. on 10:17 - Jul 17 by SWGF

A one minute allowance?! How would that work? You can belt through the village at 60mph as long as you're out the other side in 60 secs?

Edit: apologies WD19; seen you've made the same point
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:18]

When you put it like that...maybe 1 mile? Or am I clutching at straws?!
Speeding.. on 10:21 - Jul 17 with 4448 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Speeding.. on 10:18 - Jul 17 by clive_baker

My advice would be to try not to worry about it, these things happen. Learn from it, don't contest it as it'll end up costing you a lot more. If you're offered a speed awareness course take it. It's the same cost wise but will mean you won't get points, potentially saving you money on insurance. Also you never know when 3 points might become 6 etc, as unlikely as that might seem to you now but it's perhaps only an angry copper and an illegal tyre away.

He deserves 3 points for his stupidity. Learn the rules of the road or get off it.

Speeding.. on 10:21 - Jul 17 with 4445 viewsGooders7592

Speeding.. on 10:18 - Jul 17 by clive_baker

Fingers crossed it wasn't. I don't know if they have to be operated or automatic?

Annoying really, only got myself to blame for not taking extra care when driving roads I don't normally drive.
Speeding.. on 10:22 - Jul 17 with 4444 viewsGuthrum

Speeding.. on 10:20 - Jul 17 by Gooders7592

Someone once told me there was a 300 yard allowance (which is somewhat less than 0.2 miles). I'm not sure that was true even then, let alone now.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Speeding.. on 10:23 - Jul 17 with 4427 viewsGooders7592

Speeding.. on 10:21 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

He deserves 3 points for his stupidity. Learn the rules of the road or get off it.

Stupidity?

1) I've never had an incident like this before
2) I was driving roads I've never been on (not an excuse)
3) the van was as you enter the village, if it was near the exit I would agree.

I wouldn't say stupidity, maybe more careful next time. Thanks for your advice though!
Speeding.. on 10:24 - Jul 17 with 4417 viewsKieran_Knows

Speeding.. on 10:19 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

How can you be doing 40 going around a roundabout. Even Senna at his peak would find that tough.

Worded that slightly wrong, just coming off the roundabout and past the Beagle, the speed limit is 40mph, then coming down the hill in to Sproughton it changes to 30mph.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Speeding.. on 10:24 - Jul 17 with 4419 viewsSWGF

Speeding.. on 10:20 - Jul 17 by Gooders7592

Clutching, I'm afraid....

Remember it from my driving lessons that you have to be at/under the limit when passing the sign.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Speeding.. on 10:24 - Jul 17 with 4417 viewsclive_baker

Speeding.. on 10:21 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

Have a day off. He's admitted it was an error, he's just asking for advice. I'm guessing you've never received any points?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Speeding.. on 10:27 - Jul 17 with 4401 viewsTIB

I did my bike test recently and they drove home that whenever the speed limit changed, you had to be at the new limit by the time you were at the new speed limit sign.

I got caught years ago in a similar situation...60mph into 30mph but housing etc didn't start for like a mile so I carried on...luckily I saw the officer duck back behind a bush so hit brakes and was doing just under 40mph when he zapped me. Was a slightly awkward conversation when I pulled in though as I had snapped the only key for my car a week or so before so I was hot wiring it

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Speeding.. on 10:28 - Jul 17 with 4389 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Speeding.. on 10:23 - Jul 17 by Gooders7592

Stupidity?

1) I've never had an incident like this before
2) I was driving roads I've never been on (not an excuse)
3) the van was as you enter the village, if it was near the exit I would agree.

I wouldn't say stupidity, maybe more careful next time. Thanks for your advice though!

Ok, ignorance.and stupidity.

Speeding.. on 10:29 - Jul 17 with 4388 viewsPinewoodblue

Sounds as if you didn't bother to brake at all until you saw the camera van. That wasn't an error your actions were deliberate, enjoy the speed awareness course you have earnt it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding.. on 10:33 - Jul 17 with 4357 viewsgiant_stow

Speeding.. on 10:29 - Jul 17 by Pinewoodblue

Sounds as if you didn't bother to brake at all until you saw the camera van. That wasn't an error your actions were deliberate, enjoy the speed awareness course you have earnt it.

harsh - people make mistakes -thats why the ban is set at 12 points.

(I can't type properly!)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Speeding.. on 10:35 - Jul 17 with 4344 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Speeding.. on 10:27 - Jul 17 by TIB

I did my bike test recently and they drove home that whenever the speed limit changed, you had to be at the new limit by the time you were at the new speed limit sign.

I got caught years ago in a similar situation...60mph into 30mph but housing etc didn't start for like a mile so I carried on...luckily I saw the officer duck back behind a bush so hit brakes and was doing just under 40mph when he zapped me. Was a slightly awkward conversation when I pulled in though as I had snapped the only key for my car a week or so before so I was hot wiring it

I'd have you banned for a year or more for doing 60 in a 30. What if there was a child and you hit them at 60? At 30 the chances are you'll brake in time and even if you hit someone they'll stand a decent chance of surviving.

Speeding.. on 10:35 - Jul 17 with 4335 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Speeding.. on 10:33 - Jul 17 by giant_stow

harsh - people make mistakes -thats why the ban is set at 12 points.

(I can't type properly!)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:39]

Not harsh, fair.

Speeding.. on 10:35 - Jul 17 with 4342 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There is no allowance.

In the eyes of the law, you should be doing 30 when you pass the 30 sign. Otherwise there is not point.

I think the only instance there is an allowance is with variable speed limit signs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024