Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman 13:21 - Jul 17 with 6482 viewsElderGrizzly

Gammon explosion imminent...
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:24 - Jul 17 with 3328 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This is the movie equivalent of the Huddersfield kit.

People getting upset over James Bond being a black woman, when '007' will be a black woman.

No doubt it'll be that James Bond is feared dead or leaves MI6 or whatever and they give the 007 number to another agent, this woman, who he will sleep with, before she dies and then he'll get his number back, presumably because he loved her or some other nonsense.

At no point has anyone suggested James Bond will be a woman. What would she even be called?

It's a black woman as a secret agent who takes his number. Very good of the Telegraph though to suggest that other news outlets have been misleading when they've ran with the same headline they have.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 13:25]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:24 - Jul 17 with 3321 viewsclive_baker

James Bond needs to be a black woman to bring it into the modern world. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a British secret service agent that wasn't a black woman in her 20's. White men are so 1970.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:25 - Jul 17 with 3311 viewscrunchie1978

Make her gay and moneypenny trans then all bases covered!
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:25 - Jul 17 with 3315 viewsJ2BLUE

I hate those 'why it matters' pieces.

As for the actual news, massive shrug, although slightly disappointed Idris Elba would be overlooked.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:26 - Jul 17 with 3298 viewsOldsmoker

But she's not the new James Bond.
The 007 designation has been handed to her as Bond has retired.
No-one is going to be upset about that.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:27 - Jul 17 with 3296 viewsStokieBlue

She is apparently 007 but not Bond. He will be retired and she is a new agent.

That tends to lead to the question: Why?

Why not just have another spy movie franchise based around a woman? It's not Bond without Bond in it so all seems a bit weird.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:28 - Jul 17 with 3285 viewsJ2BLUE

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:25 - Jul 17 by crunchie1978

Make her gay and moneypenny trans then all bases covered!

Making her a lesbian would no doubt infuriate the feminists who would see it being done to
appeal to men.

Truly impaired.

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:29 - Jul 17 with 3272 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:25 - Jul 17 by J2BLUE

I hate those 'why it matters' pieces.

As for the actual news, massive shrug, although slightly disappointed Idris Elba would be overlooked.

There've been some fun comments on this story online.

People wanting to know why it was okay for people to be upset that Aladdin cast a white princess as Arabic but the same people are happy for a fictional character that was written as white to be black. Double standards apparently. They seem to be missing the decades of BAME representation being ignored and how both can be used to try and make things a lot more representative of society.

What's also been good has been people getting annoyed that Bond could be black because it wasn't in the books. Nor were invisible cars, laptops, mobile phones or the Gherkin building, but apparently it's fine to have all that stuff included because it's modern.

As if being multi-cultural isn't.

Login to get fewer ads

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:32 - Jul 17 with 3250 viewsElderGrizzly

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:24 - Jul 17 by WarkTheWarkITFC

People getting upset over James Bond being a black woman, when '007' will be a black woman.

No doubt it'll be that James Bond is feared dead or leaves MI6 or whatever and they give the 007 number to another agent, this woman, who he will sleep with, before she dies and then he'll get his number back, presumably because he loved her or some other nonsense.

At no point has anyone suggested James Bond will be a woman. What would she even be called?

It's a black woman as a secret agent who takes his number. Very good of the Telegraph though to suggest that other news outlets have been misleading when they've ran with the same headline they have.

It’s a perfect reflection of the state of the UK today in some of the responses. I hope the Daily Mail treat it with the respect it deserves... 😂
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:35 - Jul 17 with 3238 viewsitfcjoe

It's just ridiculous and totally unnecessary, if the next 'James Bond' was black I genuinely don't think I'd bother watching, let alone a black woman.

Not all characters have to be brought into the modern world

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:40 - Jul 17 with 3202 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:35 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

It's just ridiculous and totally unnecessary, if the next 'James Bond' was black I genuinely don't think I'd bother watching, let alone a black woman.

It's a reasonable argument to say that James Bond was described in the books and that this should be maintained.

But we've had blokes with blonde hair and dark hair, English, Scottish and Australian accents, young men and older men, all playing him. So why on earth would people be bothered about him being black.

Can you imagine Ian Fleming writing 'In walked 007. Agent James Bond. A man. With hair of some colour. Who was hard to age. Who spoke in some sort of accent. All you knew of him was that he definitely wasn't black alright. Definitely not black!'.

I don't have an issue with it. But equally you could make a case for just creating a new character, just like they did with John Luther, who was played superbly by a black man.

There must be plenty of really decent characters out there that are based around women, Asian people, black people and gay people. Why not bring some of those to life and allow them to develop their own fan bases than insisting that Fireman Sam is actually Samantha, a German, butch Lesbian with a Pakistani mother who moved to Pontypandy in the 90's.

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:43 - Jul 17 with 3181 viewsSwansea_Blue

Outrageous. Completely unnecessary use of two superfluous zeros.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 13:43]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:46 - Jul 17 with 3154 viewsclive_baker

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:27 - Jul 17 by StokieBlue

She is apparently 007 but not Bond. He will be retired and she is a new agent.

That tends to lead to the question: Why?

Why not just have another spy movie franchise based around a woman? It's not Bond without Bond in it so all seems a bit weird.

SB

Agreed. I don't see why every franchise like this needs to be shoe horned into a box ticking exercise. Will Charlie's Angels be men next? The whole thing is absurd. I'm all for equality but I don't think this is the way to go about re-balancing representation.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:47 - Jul 17 with 3146 viewsitfcjoe

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:40 - Jul 17 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It's a reasonable argument to say that James Bond was described in the books and that this should be maintained.

But we've had blokes with blonde hair and dark hair, English, Scottish and Australian accents, young men and older men, all playing him. So why on earth would people be bothered about him being black.

Can you imagine Ian Fleming writing 'In walked 007. Agent James Bond. A man. With hair of some colour. Who was hard to age. Who spoke in some sort of accent. All you knew of him was that he definitely wasn't black alright. Definitely not black!'.

I don't have an issue with it. But equally you could make a case for just creating a new character, just like they did with John Luther, who was played superbly by a black man.

There must be plenty of really decent characters out there that are based around women, Asian people, black people and gay people. Why not bring some of those to life and allow them to develop their own fan bases than insisting that Fireman Sam is actually Samantha, a German, butch Lesbian with a Pakistani mother who moved to Pontypandy in the 90's.

It's just one of those totally unnecessary things, that people will be accused of being snowflakes or gammons over not wanting it.

But there is no need for it, everyone would describe James Bond a certain way and if the movies are perpeuating to be in the same series then it's just a bit silly - showing off how PC they can be.

There have been lots of BAME characters in recent movies, M had become a woman, but Bond is Bond and I think it would be a massive mistake to change it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:49 - Jul 17 with 3136 viewsusm

The latest James Bond movie is err........actually not James Bond at all, but rather Janet Bond.

The name's Bond, Janet Bond.

D'Oh

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:54 - Jul 17 with 3096 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:49 - Jul 17 by usm

The latest James Bond movie is err........actually not James Bond at all, but rather Janet Bond.

The name's Bond, Janet Bond.

D'Oh

You just know that 'equality' will work like this:

James Bond - Man - Shags anything that moves

'James Bond is a woman now. No reason why she can't be'.

So she will shag anything that moves then in keeping with the character? 'Absolutely not. That would be completely wrong. It will show her in a really poor light and set a really bad example for young women'.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 13:58]

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:55 - Jul 17 with 3089 viewsElderGrizzly

The next James Bond won’t be black, 007 may be though. If anything it reflects the make-up of our security services more accurately.

The fact ‘James Bond’ has gone from different ages already, why should a 007 of a different skin colour make any difference to a film?

I thought you were more progressive Joe
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:55 - Jul 17 with 3085 viewschicoazul

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:24 - Jul 17 by WarkTheWarkITFC

EDIT ignore me
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 13:56]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:56 - Jul 17 with 3083 viewsfooters

How can I live out my frustrated male fantasties through a lady of colour? This cannot stand. This delicate genre requires at least some realism.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:57 - Jul 17 with 3074 viewschicoazul

Craig is nothing whatsoever like Connery Moore or the Bond as described in the books though.
And she isnt playing James Bond shes playing the Agent who takes over his number after he retires.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:01 - Jul 17 with 3038 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:57 - Jul 17 by chicoazul

Craig is nothing whatsoever like Connery Moore or the Bond as described in the books though.
And she isnt playing James Bond shes playing the Agent who takes over his number after he retires.

If Bond kept to any kind of realism the guy would be dead now, either from a series of lethal STD's or more likely one of the 7,328 bullets fired at him from close range from professional assassins that have all miraculously missed.

In a world where people believe a radioactive spider bite could give you powers, a speccy kid can do magic spells and defeat an evil menace, an alien can come from Krypton, apparently it's too mad to believe a spy could have a different skin pigmentation.

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:24 - Jul 17 with 2983 viewsJ2BLUE

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:56 - Jul 17 by footers

How can I live out my frustrated male fantasties through a lady of colour? This cannot stand. This delicate genre requires at least some realism.

Please forgive my ignorance but this is a genuine question. Why is 'coloured' racist but 'of colour' gets used on a daily basis?

Again, question from ignorance, nothing more.

Also, just to be clear Idon't think i've ever used the word coloured in that context. Seems outdated but the two terms seem very similar?

Truly impaired.

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:29 - Jul 17 with 2965 viewsJ2BLUE

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:55 - Jul 17 by ElderGrizzly

The next James Bond won’t be black, 007 may be though. If anything it reflects the make-up of our security services more accurately.

The fact ‘James Bond’ has gone from different ages already, why should a 007 of a different skin colour make any difference to a film?

I don't think your last line is fair. I think Joe has a 'common sense' approach more than anything. Personally I don't care but I can see why people think of characters in a certain way. A familiar way. It's like when Hermione was black in the theatre show, some people were taken out of the moment by the character seeming unfamiliar. Not really a progressive issue after 8 films. Same with 007.

I think we can all agree that at some point white, male, middle aged Bond will 'come out of retirement' which makes Stokie's point a good one.

Truly impaired.

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:35 - Jul 17 with 2929 viewsElderGrizzly

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:29 - Jul 17 by J2BLUE

I don't think your last line is fair. I think Joe has a 'common sense' approach more than anything. Personally I don't care but I can see why people think of characters in a certain way. A familiar way. It's like when Hermione was black in the theatre show, some people were taken out of the moment by the character seeming unfamiliar. Not really a progressive issue after 8 films. Same with 007.

I think we can all agree that at some point white, male, middle aged Bond will 'come out of retirement' which makes Stokie's point a good one.

The way Joe’s post was written came across as he wouldn’t watch something purely because the actor was black, never mind the gender issue.

If it was a black man, say Idris Elba, would people really react this way? The Daily Mail reactions are about gender first and then throw a bit of ethnic minority sprinkles to top it off
007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 14:37 - Jul 17 with 2917 viewsjeera

007 rumoured to be recast as a black woman on 13:55 - Jul 17 by ElderGrizzly

Dunno. I actually haven't given too much thought to Bond when it comes to colour, but can understand if he is described as a tall white bloke in the books then it makes sense to follow that trend.

But not because of a colour issue, but because that's who the character is.

The same as if he were suddenly cast as a little short guy.

Definitely not a woman, no. As someone else said, make a new series of 00 films, whatever, with a woman cast as the main role. Fine.

But there's no need to hijack any originals of anything just for the sake of it. It's patronising if anything.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024